dafuge's FM18 challenge

Just now, PS-GamerNeil said:

hahahahah @XaW what are the odds :D

<image>

Suppose its better then nothing, Should sell out and get a little extra money.

Hehe, very close to perfect. I think the away match netted med about £1M or so, just to let you know what you are missing by playing at home! ;)

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, PS-GamerNeil said:

@XaW just a few quick questions regarding your save with marine.

1. Being in heavy debt the board wont give me any extra spaces for staff, improve any facilities and wont even send me on coaching courses and this could stutter my progress. Did you manage to get any of these while in debt?

2. We only started with an Under 18 squad of greyed out players. Have you been successful in getting your under 18s into the youth league system? what do I need to improve to get mine in?

3. Any idea if we will ever get a under 23 squad tab yet? or is it hard coded into the game that we will only ever have a under 18's tab?

4. Have you used the same/similar tactic since the start or have you found that further up the league you needed to change your setup to suit the increased level of players?

Much appreciated :)

Sorry to step on your toes @XaW:)

1. I had considerable debt after the first season with Grantham, the wage budget was still increased after promotion and managed to get them to expand the youth recruitment and go on a coaching course. When I play this challenge I do expand my youth bits but it can be pointless, the chances of getting a decent Regen that'll keep up with your promotions through the leagues is so Slim, you could argue that the expenditure is pointless 

2. Nothing in League 1 yet, but I do make my assman arrange weekly friendlies for both the u18s and u23s

3. See point 2. I believe you get u23s in the championship or premier league

4. Always used 433 and it hasn't failed me..score more than the other team regardless of needing to defend is my general tactic :D

8 minutes ago, Wlv said:

Sorry to step on your toes @XaW:)

1. I had considerable debt after the first season with Grantham, the wage budget was still increased after promotion and managed to get them to expand the youth recruitment and go on a coaching course. When I play this challenge I do expand my youth bits but it can be pointless, the chances of getting a decent Regen that'll keep up with your promotions through the leagues is so Slim, you could argue that the expenditure is pointless 

2. Nothing in League 1 yet, but I do make my assman arrange weekly friendlies for both the u18s and u23s

3. See point 2. I believe you get u23s in the championship or premier league

4. Always used 433 and it hasn't failed me..score more than the other team regardless of needing to defend is my general tactic :D

Haha thanks for reply :-) good to see you get a under 23 squad. Just want it for keeping players fit etc. 

Just dont want want to be held back by the board not giving me anything in the future. I got my first coaching license as soon as I started game as I knew as soon as the club was in debt they would just refuse to send me on courses (Lesson learned from my previous attempt with Whitby Town) 

who know I might draw vs spurs in FA cup at home and get that dream away tie. More then likely get pumped 8-0 though so not getting my hopes up. 

Work interferes with my addiction to FM though haha. Can't play now till tomorrow evening :-( damm you work. 

2 minutes ago, Swindon69 said:

How do you get your DoF to do that or am I being dense?

Under responsibilities you should be able to let him take charge or transfers. Just remember to have yourself be the one who finalizes it!

7 minutes ago, Mr_Demus said:

How do you guys line up in 433?

I wanted to just play counter with long balls to a strong and a fast forward, but it failed miserably

I'm playing 2 FB on Auto a CD (S) a DCB (C) CM (A) DLP (D) Mez (S) - DLF(S) P DLF(S) I adjust the mentality according to the match and generally follow my Asst Man opponents PI's. Oh and the two dlf's have run into channels.

4 minutes ago, wicksyFM said:

how are peoples manager stats improving. Are they all going up. i know in previous versoins some of them didnt increase

The only unchanged ones for me are Working with Youngsters, Adaptability (no surprise because I've not managed abroad) and Level of discipline.

1 minute ago, Swindon69 said:

The only unchanged ones for me are Working with Youngsters, Adaptability (no surprise because I've not managed abroad) and Level of discipline.

same as previous years. working with youngsters and discipline never improved for me. what is your player and youngster knowledge now

1 hour ago, Mr_Demus said:

How do you guys line up in 433?

I wanted to just play counter with long balls to a strong and a fast forward, but it failed miserably

2 fbs, 2 cds, mez, CM, dlfs and a poacher

Attacking and I can't remember the shouts :). 

Make sure the dlfs are fast and can cross

NeedhamMkt.jpg.f641c5e91b2866d1c628ee39316e697c.jpg

From January 1 through early March, Needham Market only lost two matches and that run propelled us into 3rd place in VNS. We even had thoughts about the top spot as we got within five points of leader Bognor Regis, but then the wheels came off as we lost five of six matches and only scored one goal in the six matches. It was a frustrating stretch as we couldn't make passes and had virtually no offense. We finally managed to win a couple matches at the end to finally ensure a playoff spot as we dropped from 3rd place into 5th place. It was disappointing that we had to play an extra playoff match due to our faltering down the stretch.

NeedhamS1-scheduleFinal.thumb.png.fcbeb2bb22f396eb18c120817e000282.png

NeedhamS1-TableFinal.thumb.png.8e27ef1dd690dfb9b5343efe4a0b51d2.png
The playoffs was amazing. I have been playing the FM series for over 20 years and never had a playoff run like this one. Our first match was hosting Gloucester and we gave up an early goal and equalized, only to give up another goal. We equalized again in the second half, but couldn't get the match winner in requlation as we bounced a shot off the outside of the post and a header off the crossbar. In extra-time, Max Ryan, a late season free signing to try and boost our strikers, finished off a pretty passing play to give our first lead. We then closed out the win with Harry Donovan firing one home off a free kick set piece.

Next on the road against Weston-Super-Mare, we took an early lead when Max Booth drilled home a 25 yard free kick. Minutes later we got a penalty, but with Sam Nunn being rested due to a slight injury in the Gloucester match, Jack Simmons missed the penalty as Lee Purnell made the save. That miss proved very costly when Weston-Super-Mare equalized with only moments left in second half injury time- and we were on to extra-time again. In extra-time it was Zhenyu He who scored the match-winner when a throw-in deflected to him and he potted his shot to send us on to the VNS Playoff Final against Wealdstone, who upset heavily favored Billericay.

The Final opponent- Wealdstone- meant we were without Jermaine Osei (on loan from them)- so Decarrey Sherriff would have to start at Striker. We fell behind when Danny Mills scored against us early on. We fought back again as Jack Simmons headed home a Sam Nunn corner. We gained the lead as Sherriff ghosted in at the back post to fire home a Max Booth cross. Wealdstone took advantage as we botched a free kick and evened the match, and we were on to our third consecutive extra-time playoff match. Things looked good for us when Joe Oastler earned a red card early in the extra-time and then we took the lead as Wealdstone keeper Jonathan North mishandled a sharp shot from Max Booth for an own-goal. It was hugely disappointing as we allowed a counter-attack by the 10-man squad to even the match with only a few minutes remaining in extra-time. We took the ensuing kick-off and passed down the pitch before Max Ryan laid the ball off for Callum Harrison to drive home for the match-winner that earned us promotion.

NeedhamS1promotionmatch.thumb.png.a536175a1c13410ca9309077402523e7.png

Our leaders for the season:
Goals:
Jermaine Osei -14
Charlie Cole- 11
Sam Nunn- 8
Decarrey Sherriff- 8
Zhenyu He- 7
Max Booth- 5
Prince M'vumbi- 5
Cameron Wiltshire - 5
Max Ryan -4
Assists:
Max Booth- 9
Cameron Wiltshire- 8
Harry Donovan- 6
Jermaine Osei- 5
Ave Rating:
Harry Donovan- 7.34
Cameron Wiltshire- 7.26
Max Booth- 7.15
Charlie Cole- 7.13
Jermaine Osei- 7.05

4 hours ago, wicksyFM said:

how are peoples manager stats improving. Are they all going up. i know in previous versoins some of them didnt increase

2NMRNfT.png

I also noticed that Unai Emery hates me. I has no idea why though... He have been manager for Man City though, and I did beat them in the FA Cup a while ago. In that case he really carries a grudge...

38 minutes ago, XaW said:

2NMRNfT.png

I also noticed that Unai Emery hates me. I has no idea why though... He have been manager for Man City though, and I did beat them in the FA Cup a while ago. In that case he really carries a grudge...

For some reason Villas-Boas likes me even though I don't think I ever played his Bristol City squad (where he was just sacked after a 0-1-7 stretch).  Sean Dyche (who is now managing England) likes me too, presumably because I was rather complimentary of him when Burnley beat us in the FA Cup a couple years ago (they got to the semis that year).  OTOH I have no idea why David Wagner doesn't like me, we haven't played either Huddersfield or his new squad Scunthorpe.

EDIT: I also don't know why Simon Grayson dislikes me, he was with Wigan for a while and we never played.  Or Gary Bowyer for that matter...

5 minutes ago, Warhawk said:

For some reason Villas-Boas likes me even though I don't think I ever played his Bristol City squad (where he was just sacked after a 0-1-7 stretch).  Sean Dyche (who is now managing England) likes me too, presumably because I was rather complimentary of him when Burnley beat us in the FA Cup a couple years ago (they got to the semis that year).  OTOH I have no idea why David Wagner doesn't like me, we haven't played either Huddersfield or his new squad Scunthorpe.

EDIT: I also don't know why Simon Grayson dislikes me, he was with Wigan for a while and we never played.

To fill out a bit.

Likes me:

Delph played under me, so I get him.
Brian Carey - Irish U21 manager and been it since 2017, no idea why he likes me.
Stevie Crawford - Manager of Coventry, no idea.
Carlos Carvalhal - Manager of Brentford. Think I sold a player to them once, but no idea otherwise.
Jamie Fullarton - Manager of Swindon, our closest opponent for the title last season. No idea.

Hates me;

Dave Frecklington - Manager of Havant & Waterlooville. Former of Dartford and Spalding. No idea
Derek Geary - Former Sheffield Utd coach, just turned manager of Grimsby. Maybe he hates me since he was a coach in a club I beat?
Unai Emery I mentioned, he is manager of Spain though...
Craig Davis - Jobless, was a playing in my team for a season before I released him back in 2019. Might be holding a grudge still?
Mark Hughes - Because he is Mark Hughes I guess?

Yeesh, Crawley is on a 9 game league winning streak.  We're 11-4-3, we beat them, we beat second place Gateshead (who were in 1st before Crawley), we beat 5th place Ebbsfleet (who were in 1st before Gateshead), and we're still 5 points back.  Their goal differential is +23 though 18 games.  I think we're all lucky Tranmere can't beat bad teams, they're 4-2-0 against teams in the top 9 (including beating us), and 3-3-2 against teams in the bottom 8.

12 minutes ago, Hypanimz said:

Just made my biggest sale so far. Selling the defender I picked up for £250k for £5.75m rising to £6.75m with a 30% of future sale. Unfortunately I had to give his old club £2.1m due to a sell on fee. 

Still £3.2 m is not a bad profit.

1 hour ago, Swindon69 said:

I'm in a state of shock there are currently no major criticisms from my board at the moment.

My board is usually only unhappy about one or two players I signed who they said got too large contracts.  Usually I'm right.

Not this season!  They were totally right this season.  One is a central defender who I've already demoted to my U23s (although being the only non-English player on my team - he's Welsh - he's also the only one who's been called up to play internationally), the other is a striker who's basically 4th on my depth chart right now.

EDIT: oh, and update on my previous post, Crawley have now won 10 in a row in the VNL, plus an away replay at League 2 Rochdale in the Cup.  I'm actually the only team in the top 6 who has not been in the top spot at any point.

EDIT 2: Good lord, against 6th place Dag & Red, I scored 3 times in the first 7:06 - despite missing a penalty at 3:24 - then hit the post in the 9th minute as well.  I check the scores at halftime, who else is up 3-0?  FRICKIN' CRAWLEY.

EDIT 3: THANK YOU EASTLEIGH.  Crawley streak broken, now I'm within 3.

Have to admit I'm somewhat sorry to say that Eastleigh hired Paul Doswell (club legend) for his second stint as manager in June of 2020, and he got just a little over 5 months before they sacked him after we beat them 3-1 on December 1st.  Now that's rough.

A little update on my margate save. Managed to clean out plenty of dead wood in the pre-season which was made much easier through all of the expired contracts and the fact that I only had one member of staff on an extended contract. 

So being able to work with a relatively clean slate meant I could fully tailor to my preferred 343 and 433 formation. Picked up lots of good youngsters on cheap contracts who have proved very effective. Particularly Max Ryan who has netted 27 goals so far this season. 

Currently moving into the last few games of the season and we're 9 points clear at the top of the VNS. Hopefully we can see it through and avoid the play offs. A couple of decent cup runs but we did disappointingly give up a 2-1 lead in the trophy semi final and crashed out 4-1 on aggregate. 

Should be finishing off the season tonight and will post some pics of the team and table. 

Up the Gate! 

Just picked up my 3rd promotion in a row on this with Dulwich hamlet (and I'm doing it with no signings on youth academy challenge...)

Finished 2nd, had my usual stumble over the line end to the season with 5 points from last 6 games to make it interesting - I seem to end every season badly

I don't know how you guys are doing it. I'm just about to finish my first season with Grantham and we are a truly awful football team. I'm going to stay up thankfully mainly due to 3 teams being somehow worse. I think we are going to have a clear out pre season

58 minutes ago, cjb1986 said:

I don't know how you guys are doing it. I'm just about to finish my first season with Grantham and we are a truly awful football team. I'm going to stay up thankfully mainly due to 3 teams being somehow worse. I think we are going to have a clear out pre season

I barely survived my first season in Vanarama North and now I'm just into my first season in the Championship. Get better players and try to win, that's the general idea! ;) 

1 hour ago, cjb1986 said:

In my Grantham save, the core players were decent (Lee Shaw, Galinski, Hempenshall) 

10 minutes ago, Wlv said:

In my Grantham save, the core players were decent (Lee Shaw, Galinski, Hempenshall) 

I must of used a smaller database than you as all I had was a bunch of woeful fake players with no appearances history. 

1 hour ago, cjb1986 said:

I barely stayed up in my first season - only reached safety in the last couple of games. I stayed up by 5 points in the end.

57 minutes ago, cjb1986 said:

I must of used a smaller database than you as all I had was a bunch of woeful fake players with no appearances history. 

You might want to start again mate. I had that with Frome Town and it was impossible

13 minutes ago, Wlv said:

You might want to start again mate. I had that with Frome Town and it was impossible

I've survived now with a respectable 17th place finish 3 places above the drop zone and 9 points clear. As I said the bottom 3 were terrible with 3rd bottom Brackley barely mustering 30 points. 

Prob worth staying now no? after toiling away for that bit 

Burgess Hill Town
Season Update 2021/22
League Two

Burgess Hill Town F.C. logo.png
Final Position 1st

Squad - Dynamics - Table - Transfers - Finances - Review - Profile - Board - Injuries - Commercial

Going into the season expectation was high, both from the board and the media. Got few new key signings for the defensive area that was lacking. The form was consistent with a few tweaks to the preferred tactic, which i have used throughout the game. Found to have the most problem against narrow playing teams, and tried to create a tactic to counter, which has proven ok, but needs some tweaking as well.

Was expecting to reach the playoffs, but as season progressed, there really wasn't any teams that could challenge our position, and we had our third straight promotion. Despite all the positives, I have been fending of suitors from a few players, but doubt i can keep some of the clubs to poach our key players. Board did accept a bid for Dushane McCalla, he was meant to become a great first team player for us, since Arsenal released him. The fee of 450k seemed a tad much when looking at his stats, and now he is just rotting in Nott. Forrest reserves.

We sold a couple more players and the funding from these went to some cheap replacements and went into upgrading facilities. Training, youth and data analyst had money allocated. Unfortunately come end of the season, board cancelled the upgrade to first team training, but allowed the 2 other to progess. Reiss Barry went to Burnley for 250k and some great bonuses. Sam Fogden went to Ipswich for 165k and also some good bonuses.

The Cup runs were less than hoped for, with exit in the 3rd round in the FA cup, and 2nd round in Carabao Cup - both times eliminated by Bournemouth in 2 seemingly close encounters where both losses were 1-0. In the Checkatrade it was a 3rd round loss to Oxford, who went on to be runner-up.

Youth candidates seems a lot better in FM 2018? Ricky Romain looks really interesting.

Noteworthy players of the season:

Ian Manning DM - Currently our best player and really doubt i can keep hold on him next season, will atleast hope i can get a fair amount of pixels for him.
Josh Lovett IF - Our first season youth candidate had a good season, but not as good as previous.
Leon Beadie AF - Kept his from from last season and scored 26 goals and an amazing 19 assists.
Reece Miller AF - Solid and according to ass man, our best attacker.

Season              League              Position             FA Cup               Carabao Cup   EURO                 Checkatrade   FAT
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018/19             Van. South          2nd                  2nd round            NA            NA                   NA            Winner
2019/20             Van. South          1st                  3rd round            NA            NA                   NA            2nd round
2020/21             Van. Nat.           1st                  4th round            NA            NA                   NA            Final
2021/22             League Two          1st                  3rd round            2nd round     NA                   3rd round     NA

Archived