Promise: New contract, explain why it failed

XaW

Sometimes players come to the manager wanting a contract and I agree seeing they deserved it. However, sometimes the negotiations break down and the player always see this as if I didn't offer. In my current game I have a player who want a new contract, but every time I want to offer it the agent insists on a release clause that's very low (his value is £400k and I can't up the clause to more than £600k). Since he is a young player I feel that selling him for £600k would be a very poor fee for me, so I cannot agree to the contract and I have to walk away since it's "locked in" by his agent.

I would like to be able to tell the player I would love to give him a new contract, but this demand from his agent is stopping it. Then the player could have several answers to this depending on his personality. E.g. "I don't care, you made a promise"(ends with a broken promise if the contract isn't signed, like today), "I'll talk to my agent about reducing the demands" (reduced fee or removed clause depending on what the player stated), "I see you tried, so I accept I won't get any new contract" (promise is removed).

This would allow the manager to have a better dialog with the player and to reason as to why the promise isn't followed through.

• 8 months later...

Archived