Transfers

Why is it so hard to sell players. I've got several top quality players valued at between £22 and £51 million but even though I have tried unspecified, half price and a third of the price I get no interest.... Makes you sick and other than cheat and add a manager to buy the players I dont know what to do. Any suggestions on how best to sell players?

3 hours ago, Kuchiki said:

Have the player feature a lot in your first team will likely raise interest.

Thanks Kuchiki, they are regulars in my first team, probably not helping myself as I'm West Ham lol. Trying to sell Reid, Cresswell, Ogbonna, and a few others. These are top quality and have won titles with these. Just seems so hard in FM18 to sell unless you offer for free. However when buying you sometimes have to offer way over the players value to get the club and player interested. I dont remember having this much of and issue in previous versions of FM. 

13 hours ago, Daveo72 said:

Why is it so hard to sell players. I've got several top quality players valued at between £22 and £51 million but even though I have tried unspecified, half price and a third of the price I get no interest.... Makes you sick and other than cheat and add a manager to buy the players I dont know what to do. Any suggestions on how best to sell players?

I find if you just offer them out unspecified it gets interest. I always put ‘selling club pay no wage contribution’  then go from there if you get more then one offer you can always push up the price buy accepting one offer from buyer(1) and requesting more from buyer(2) if buyer (2) declines you always have (1) to fall back on. 

2 hours ago, SpikeHughes said:

I find if you just offer them out unspecified it gets interest. I always put ‘selling club pay no wage contribution’  then go from there if you get more then one offer you can always push up the price buy accepting one offer from buyer(1) and requesting more from buyer(2) if buyer (2) declines you always have (1) to fall back on. 

Thanks Spike I'll give that a go later on. Got to the point where I feel like just ending their contracts and have done with them but will lose loads of money

The issue is often that if you are looking to sell the player you need to have another club looking for a player similar to the one you are selling. The AI will only purchase a player they "know" the have the possibility of acquiring and if you are a top team, then there are very few teams who can afford the player (and his wages!) and therefore the number of buying teams will be limited. On top of that the team will need to have actual need of the player and have a hole in their formation he fits into. When this is unfulfilled there won't be any interest in your players. There are only a few ways for you to impact this and one of them is something not everyone thinks about, and that is database size (player count) versus active leagues. If you have too many players available and too few active leagues then you will be a player market where there are not the biggest for players and fewer transfers. On the contrary, to small database and too many active leagues will up the number of transfers and bidding wars. This is because inactive leagues will have a lot fewer transfers happening. Though this can be negligible in many cases, it may impact transfers, so try to balance it out.

In my Liverpool game I had a lot of interest in my players and I made a lot of sales for big money. To mention a few:

- Sturridge to Southampton for £35,5M
- Lovren to Leicester for £37M
- Mane to Barcelona for £66M
- Mignolet to Zenith for £20,5M

But trying to sell fringe players for massive amounts are hard, while selling players who score and get high rating is easier.

On 21/03/2018 at 12:21, Daveo72 said:

Thanks Spike I'll give that a go later on. Got to the point where I feel like just ending their contracts and have done with them but will lose loads of money

I know what you mean I tried it recently on my Lille go defender just wouldn’t leave wanted to end his contract because he was unhappy wouldn’t mutually end it, tried to terminate it board blocked me. Offering out for loan and other club pay 100% of wages is a good one as well. Then you can sell him at the end of the season. 

At what point of the season you try to offer them out?

If you do it after the last league game, you will probably have zero to none offers. When the transfer window opens (June) you'll have some offers and then after July 1st, when wage budgets are freed massively, you'll have more offers surely.

trying to sell maybe 3 players all with form around the 6.6 to 6.9 and getting no interest at all not even at a low price. Yet you try to knock another team down even when their players are listed they don't budge... oh well keep trying I guess. 

2 hours ago, Trent71 said:

At what point of the season you try to offer them out?

If you do it after the last league game, you will probably have zero to none offers. When the transfer window opens (June) you'll have some offers and then after July 1st, when wage budgets are freed massively, you'll have more offers surely.

trying to get some interest just before transfer window starts and during transfer window too. Tried also in winter window as many teams would have injuries and losing players to other clubs but no luck

During the winter break is hard, unless PSG wants a player of yours :D I've mainly seen top teams go for big targets at that point.

The trick is to show patience and not lower the price straight out, specially before the transfer window opens and at it's beginning, I get a lot of offers that have "wage contribution", which can really be a drag to the budget. Just reject and wait out - that way, the AI also has time to sum interest in the upcoming month or so. Waiting on a bit and trying to get your deals between 1st - 10 July (you don't want to be too late in the window too! :D ) usually is the best time to sell and loan out.

On 21/03/2018 at 05:51, Daveo72 said:

Thanks Kuchiki, they are regulars in my first team, probably not helping myself as I'm West Ham lol. Trying to sell Reid, Cresswell, Ogbonna, and a few others. These are top quality and have won titles with these. Just seems so hard in FM18 to sell unless you offer for free. However when buying you sometimes have to offer way over the players value to get the club and player interested. I dont remember having this much of and issue in previous versions of FM. 

The problem is likely that all of those players are being paid stupid wages while not actually being very good. 

Take Reid and Ogbonna for example. Their CAs are between 

Spoiler

130 and 139.

Within this range, there are 6 centre-backs in the world being paid more than they are. There are 226 being paid less. For Cresswell compared to other left-backs it's 6 against 75. These are players that have come into the most inflated wage market in the world and not quite met expectations, which is presumably why you don't want them. Any team with a half-decent scouting operation (that is, every team who could afford those wages) can likely identify players that are at least as good, are younger with better potential, and less expensive. So you're largely going to be trying to target a very small number of clubs. Those, for instance, that feel like they desperately need Premier League experience, or for some reason urgently need a well-known player near the end of the window they hadn't anticipated. You'll probably be able to flog them eventually, but it will take a while and you shouldn't expect the offers to be very good.

If you had just one or two of them my advice would probably be to play them in some of the easier games alongside your otherwise good side, and hope they do well while your team wins, making them look better than they are and become more attractive options. That's not really going to work early in a West Ham save though since they've performed shockingly in the transfer market for years and ended up with a squad full of overpaid, underachieving bottom-half fodder. It is going to be a matter of patience, getting rid of them a couple at a time and in some cases probably just having to wait for the contracts to expire.

Archived