Updating Workshop Item [Steam]

tommysvr

I'm trying to release a fix for a database I've created, but there's no option to override the file - it simply uploads as a brand new file, meaning my 300+ subscribers miss out on it. I also have no way of contacting them to show how to update.

I contacted Steam directly and they say this is a FM issue: 

In the case of Football Manager 2018 it appears that the developer has setup their Workshop to where users can't update the file they uploaded which requires them to upload a new version of the Workshop item entirely. Unfortunately, this isn't something that we at Steam Support can change since the game's developer set it up in this way.

Please help?

Edited by tommysvr

• 7 months later...

I'm having trouble actually getting my database onto the workshop? I have done "publish to steam workshop" but then after that nothing happened. Anything I need to do/activate so I can upload files on there?

• 1 year later...

Make a file just for publishing.

Publish to that and to the workshop.

Then resume editing on your original file.

When publishing again save over the previous file to upload and publish to workshop again.

This is the only method I know that works.

• Administrators

You need to: 

• Have the file you posted on the workshop in your editor data folder
  • When editing or creating a new workshop file in the Editor, save over this file. 
  • You cannot give it a new name. 

• Administrators
13 hours ago, omnivore said:

This still hasn't been fixed years on. It's a real problem and I wish someone would address it. There used to be a way in the editor to update an item, but I can't repeat the way I used to make it work.

If you are still having issues, I'd suggest getting in contact with me or posting a bug report, and explaining step by step what you are doing to reproduce this problem, and we can see what we can do. 

Cheers.

20 hours ago, Lucas said:

You need to: 

• Have the file you posted on the workshop in your editor data folder
  • When editing or creating a new workshop file in the Editor, save over this file. 
  • You cannot give it a new name. 

So to the translate what folks need to do:

• Publish your saved editor data file to Steam as a hidden file, not public.
  • Once you do this, for some reason, it will now let you update that file
  • Make it public on Steam manually when you're ready to have folks download it. 

I can't get back to the original file I updated for whatever reason, I think perhaps I deleted it by accident or renamed it or I don't recall. Do not do this.

You should follow the above instructions, and if you do, it should give you the ability to update your creations. I did it and it indeed gave me a file I could update. Of course, it's too late and confusing for me to use it (I'd have to release another version of a file I've already shared twice...) but at least I know for the future and you do too!

Edited by omnivore

• Administrators
On 13/01/2020 at 04:38, omnivore said:

I can't get back to the original file I updated for whatever reason, I think perhaps I deleted it by accident or renamed it or I don't recall. Do not do this.

Yes, if you rename it, its effectively a new file then.

15 minutes ago, WynnZeroOne said:

Yup, my last three or four updates to a series of competitions have not given me an option to update the existing file.

I'd follow my instructions above, if you're renaming files or removing them once uploaded and then downloading them again and getting into this issue, let me know