Three-time Ballon d'Or winner comes out as gay

I'm sure many of you guys have seen this, but I haven't read the forums in years and have never seen this happen in FM. My top goal-scorer, 23-yo Belgian regen, Matis Staelens, just came out of the closet. Such an awesome new(?) feature with regens. This guys been setting the Premier League and the rest of the world alight and has won the last three Ballon d'Or and loads of other prizes. Wonder when the world is ready for something like this happening in the real world. Hopefully soon. :)

fm-staelens-01.jpg

fm-staelens-02.jpg

fm-staelens-03.jpg

fm-staelens-04.jpg

I never knew this was a thing...

This is a very nice feature. SI have always been forward thinking about these games and I give them major kudos for that.

23 minutes ago, WorcesterLegend said:

what?...i don't think this is something real in-game is it?...i mean i have heard/read that is you are "lucky" you can get some names to be awkward in the context of the news...but this is just weird to be actually real...

Yes it is, It is new this year

1 hour ago, cata89 said:

Nice feature? Things like that *convinced* me to not buy anymore this game.

Because there's a chance you might get a gay player? 

Good reason dude :applause:

26 minutes ago, Snorks said:

Because there's a chance you might get a gay player? 

Good reason dude :applause:

Read again what I said. Things like that, not exactly that. Sort of details that shouldn't be in that game.

1 hour ago, cata89 said:

Read again what I said. Things like that, not exactly that. Sort of details that shouldn't be in that game.

And you've done it again - why on earth not?

Please keep your bigotry away, if you don;t want to buy the game you don't have to, but once you don;t buy the game as you've said you stopped, don't come in here with offensive comments like that.

Gay players are IRL, they are in the game too, please get over it.

19 minutes ago, Snorks said:

Please keep your bigotry away, if you don;t want to buy the game you don't have to, but once you don;t buy the game as you've said you stopped, don't come in here with offensive comments like that.

@cata89 has purely stated that he doesnt believe that details like this should be included in the game- fine, that's his opinion and he is entitled to express it.  There is nothing offensive or bigoted about his opinion, so please all get back on topic.

I think what cata89 means is that it's a useless feature in the game. It doesn't give any benefits in the game. It's just a news feature. 

I wonder if it can be a useful feature though. Does it give a short term boost in moral? Does it affect relationships with other players? Some team members may accept it, others may dislike him. 

Kudos for including it in the game and smashing taboos. Also good call that it's for newgens only. You may insult some real players otherwise. 

11 minutes ago, FrazT said:

@cata89 has purely stated that he doesnt believe that details like this should be included in the game- fine, that's his opinion and he is entitled to express it.  There is nothing offensive or bigoted about his opinion, so please all get back on topic.

Fair enough. Apologies to the poster if I misconstrued the intention.

9 minutes ago, fmonit said:

I think what cata89 means is that it's a useless feature in the game. It doesn't give any benefits in the game. It's just a news feature. 

I wonder if it can be a useful feature though. Does it give a short term boost in moral? Does it affect relationships with other players? Some team members may accept it, others may dislike him. 

Kudos for including it in the game and smashing taboos. Also good call that it's for newgens only. You may insult some real players otherwise. 

I've seen some Chairman, after the player has come out, saying there's an increase in merchandising sales, or at least, an expected increase so yeah, there is a minor impact in-game. I can't immediately think of anything that happens in the game  not having an impact somewhere else in some small way.

As far as morale & dressing room reaction is concerned, it would be difficult to implement - unless it could be coded that ONLY newgens react, otherwise SI would be open to real-life player issues.

As we enter Pride Month, I wonder when we will see the first gay player come out in real life. It would take a brave man to announce in Russia!

1 minute ago, Snorks said:

As we enter Pride Month, I wonder when we will see the first gay player come out in real life. It would take a brave man to announce in Russia!

That player would earn my respect forever. Unless he's Italian,... oh wait.... 

8 hours ago, Snorks said:

I've seen some Chairman, after the player has come out, saying there's an increase in merchandising sales, or at least, an expected increase so yeah, there is a minor impact in-game

Yea I saw that too when this was first talked about. Never underestimate the power of the Pink Pound lol! Clubs would be clambering to buy gay players if there were any who were out! Pride parades would be full of people wearing his name on their back!

I've player over 800 hours of FM 18 and only seen this once, so it's about as common as getting a son in the youth intake. I've always been in favor of these "game flavor additives" that humanize the game more, but understand why SI doesn't want to apply anything to a real-life player (not coming out, exactly, but having a RL player bite another player and get a 4-month suspension.)

On 06/06/2018 at 04:00, Snorks said:

I don't particularly care for the feature either, and I'm far from homophobic. 

Players shouldn't need to make public statements about coming out as gay, it's a personal life choice, and there's no real need for it to become major news. 

I understand why FM has it, to raise awareness, but it probably just emphasises how big a deal people would make of it, and it's a worry that that could potentially scare people off being the person they want to be. 

Fwiw there's a lot of "fluff features" which just seem a bit needless, again though, it stops the game feeling "clinical" by adding a more personal touch, so can understand why it's there. 

17 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Players shouldn't need to make public statements about coming out as gay, it's a personal life choice, and there's no real need for it to become major news

There's a massive need for it! They're role models for millions of youngsters, and it's vitally important that they see LGBT people treated just like everybody else, both for young people worried about coming out, and for people who would bully them for not being normal. It shouldn't be major news, but until it becomes the norm where nobody cares what your sexuality is, it has to be. This is why I love this feature, it covers the coming out and getting used to some players being gay, but with one tiny piece of news that gets mentioned and then everything carries on as normal.

Also, probably just a wrong choice of words, but it certainly isn't a life 'choice'. You don't choose to be gay any more than you choose between being straight. Incidentally, if anybody has actively chosen to be straight and picked women over men, they aren't straight lol, just repressed! :D

On 06/06/2018 at 05:35, Snorks said:

what do you mean? this is old news:

https://www.tagesspiegel.de/weltspiegel/in-english/thomas-hitzlsperger-comes-out-as-homosexual-a-hammer-blow-for-homophobia/9303030.html

53 minutes ago, cameosis said:

Hitzlsperger didn't come out until he retired. I think @Snorks was more referring to someone coming out whilst they were still playing

3 hours ago, cameosis said:

I meant a current player - sadly, if you read the article before posting it here you would see:

"President of the DFL and Borussia Dortmund Reinhard Rauball claimed that he would advise players against coming out last summer, while the most brash voice has always been that of Germany captain Phillipp Lahm, who has repeatedly advised homosexual players not to come out, for fear of the repercussions from fans and colleagues."

Which is a sad state of affairs.

15 hours ago, XaW said:

Didn't we discuss this to its end before the game was even released?

That thread pains me to read as someone who's currently in a very homophobic country. Towards the end, people going all, "respect their beliefs". Their beliefs are literally killing gay people, and I don't mean their religious beliefs, but their cultural thoughts

1 hour ago, puffascruffowitz said:

Any relation to the Belgian international Lorenzo Staelens? If so, then SI better hope he doesn't see this, or if he does, that he's not a homophobe

Doubt it's a relation, it's a regen, and I doubt any would take the bad publicity of suing over this.

On 08/06/2018 at 15:08, Tom8983 said:

There's a massive need for it! They're role models for millions of youngsters, and it's vitally important that they see LGBT people treated just like everybody else, both for young people worried about coming out, and for people who would bully them for not being normal. It shouldn't be major news, but until it becomes the norm where nobody cares what your sexuality is, it has to be. This is why I love this feature, it covers the coming out and getting used to some players being gay, but with one tiny piece of news that gets mentioned and then everything carries on as normal.

You're contradicting yourself. One minute you want gay players treated like everyone else, the next you're delighted that FM has highlighted a player coming out as gay, in a game where millions of other players sexuality never gets mentioned.

I feel like we're making the same point, just in different ways, but I don't think the majority of football fans care in the slightest whether the players at their club are straight or gay, so it seems a bit strange for SI to wait until 2018 to start bringing it into the public eye. 

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

You're contradicting yourself. One minute you want gay players treated like everyone else, the next you're delighted that FM has highlighted a player coming out as gay, in a game where millions of other players sexuality never gets mentioned.

I feel like we're making the same point, just in different ways, but I don't think the majority of football fans care in the slightest whether the players at their club are straight or gay, so it seems a bit strange for SI to wait until 2018 to start bringing it into the public eye. 

Remember we're not just talking about British fans here. This will be a big deal for, say, a LGBT person in a more homophobic country (*cough*Russia*cough*) who often feels excluded from football and its culture.

6 hours ago, Spurs08 said:

Remember we're not just talking about British fans here. This will be a big deal for, say, a LGBT person in a more homophobic country (*cough*Russia*cough*) who often feels excluded from football and its culture.

A fair point, tbh. I often forget its not a solely British audience/forum. 

17 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

A fair point, tbh. I often forget its not a solely British audience/forum. 

And that's why I'd like to come out here...as an American. Please don't judge, I was born this way. 

• FrazT locked this topic

Archived