"failure to play youth players"

I've had a broken promise having reassured a player that I sold a team leader to make space for youngsters to develop.

In the three months since making that promise, I've brought four people from my U23s and given them regular game time in the first team. The team is also doing incredibly well.

What is the 'give younger players the chance to develop' promise actually measured on? It seems very abstract

These promises never worked in FM17, so I've never once made them in FM18.

You could promise a player you will strengthen the coaching team, then completely FILL your quota of coaches. The player still gets the hump that you broke your promise. Same goes for promising to strengthen the defence, midfield, or attack - didn't matter how many players you bought (or how reputable they were), the player you made the promise to always got annoyed at you for breaking your promise  :idiot:

Like I said I've yet to use them in FM18 and so far my game hasn't been ruined, and I'm not going to intentionally ruin my game just to see if they work. After all, SI have form for leaving certain features unfinished/wrongly implemented. Just avoid *those* kind of promises and you'll be fine :D 

1 hour ago, beardymouse said:

What is the 'give younger players the chance to develop' promise actually measured on? It seems very abstract

I'm not quite sure, but for me it seems to be related to giving new players their debuts. I've had success with this.

3 minutes ago, ..Valhalla.. said:

You could promise a player you will strengthen the coaching team, then completely FILL your quota of coaches. The player still gets the hump that you broke your promise.

Well, if the coaches are bad, then you haven't really strengthened it... Semantics, but still. If you have experienced that I hope you have reported it and uploaded the save so SI can investigate and fix it!

@XaW - not that it matters now since it's last year's version but I signed some very highly rated coaches, much better than those at the club(s) I was managing - I made a point of upgrading both ability and reputation, but the player(s) never noticed and always every single time got annoyed that I broke my promise.

Same for strengthening the attack (one I remember clearly). Managing Dortmund, I had to let PEA go as he was forcing a move away. I promised a few players I would strengthen the attack as they were worried about it, and soon after I signed Divock Origi, Luciano Vietto, and Lorenzo Insigne. The players never changed from "hopes his manager remembers to strengthen the attack...", until the end of the window when they came to me annoyed that I broke my promise. 

I made the same mistake again with my defence (at Liverpool), after selling Lovren. I signed Papastathopoulos and another who's name escapes me now (but he was a top CB, signed as a key player), the defence was more than strengthened. Players were still annoyed that I didn't keep my promise :rolleyes:

Without a shadow of doubt, those promises did not work on FM17. I clocked over 1200hrs on it and not once got one to work.

3 minutes ago, ..Valhalla.. said:

@XaW - not that it matters now since it's last year's version but I signed some very highly rated coaches, much better than those at the club(s) I was managing - I made a point of upgrading both ability and reputation, but the player(s) never noticed and always every single time got annoyed that I broke my promise.

Same for strengthening the attack (one I remember clearly). Managing Dortmund, I had to let PEA go as he was forcing a move away. I promised a few players I would strengthen the attack as they were worried about it, and soon after I signed Divock Origi, Luciano Vietto, and Lorenzo Insigne. The players never changed from "hopes his manager remembers to strengthen the attack...", until the end of the window when they came to me annoyed that I broke my promise. 

I made the same mistake again with my defence (at Liverpool), after selling Lovren. I signed Papastathopoulos and another who's name escapes me now (but he was a top CB, signed as a key player), the defence was more than strengthened. Players were still annoyed that I didn't keep my promise :rolleyes:

Without a shadow of doubt, those promises did not work on FM17. I clocked over 1200hrs on it and not once got one to work.

Well, I've only had a couple of issues with the promises, and I've reported them to SI. Both in FM17 and FM18. The only way SI can improve these things is to get reports and fix them. I've clocked just over 1,000 hours in FM18 now, and promises works quite well for me, with the exceptions I've reported. And most players will forgive you if the respect you enough anyway. One of the cases I reported was a player whom I promised promotion and we achieved it, but through playoff. The player acted as we failed to get promoted. He was a very unprofessional player though so I were looking to get rid of him anyway. Sold him for a tidy profit and let him become someone else's problem.

50 minutes ago, XaW said:

Well, I've only had a couple of issues with the promises, and I've reported them to SI. Both in FM17 and FM18. The only way SI can improve these things is to get reports and fix them. 

I did report it at the time, and if I recall correctly I sent them the Dortmund save to look at. 

It's not that big a deal anyway; once I learned what to avoid, and that I can get away with not making most promises, I manage just fine. Promising to sell a player is easy enough to complete, as is more 1st team football. Promising to strengthen coaches or sign players is so vague to begin with, we really have no idea what the players' expectations are. 

18 minutes ago, ..Valhalla.. said:

I did report it at the time, and if I recall correctly I sent them the Dortmund save to look at. 

It's not that big a deal anyway; once I learned what to avoid, and that I can get away with not making most promises, I manage just fine. Promising to sell a player is easy enough to complete, as is more 1st team football. Promising to strengthen coaches or sign players is so vague to begin with, we really have no idea what the players' expectations are. 

Yeah, I think it's a bit vague myself. Promises should be more concrete than this. Though I did post a suggestion regarding promises a while back.

While that is in regard to contracts, it could easily be transformed into other promises as well. It relates to the thing that promises are more fluid and if the player question you, at least you would be able to counter their argument. If he accept it or not is another thing, some people are unreasonable anyway, but at least you know the player in question doesn't react well to these kinds of things.

My best guess for successfully completing the "strengthening *area*" promise: sign a player with more CA and reputation than you sold. These are both hidden stats, which makes the promise hard to work with.

Same case with developing youngsters. It's very unclear if this is based on CA, reputation, or simply game time. Would be nice to know exactly what you are agreeing to :D

Archived