Salford FC have potentially the best youth system in the country, yet their rating is "poor"????

The owners, a Singaporean billionaire and the Class of 92 (a group of ex Man Utd players) opened the Academy of 92 in 2017. The coaches for the academy are Paul Scholes, Gary Neville, Phillip Neville, Nicky Butt and Ryan Giggs. Is there any youth academy in the world with such a distinguished group of coaches?

They are also going to be offering accredited degree qualifications in various subjects so that those that might not 'make the cut' can fall back on something. As well holding a philosophy that an education can only add to a young players mental development. Possibly the only academy to this in the world. They are also introducing a direct policy of introducing youth team players straight to first team. Their Director of Football, Chris Casper (also class of 92) is on record as saying that this is, to his knowledge, the only club in the country with such a policy.

All things considered, why didn't SI pick up on this? This was all happening in 2017.

I hope it will be corrected for the next installment, because listing their youth facilities as "poor" is a complete joke.

This should be posted in the research section. I would be very surprised if SI wasn't aware of this at all but I would assume it's still "poor" because these are all just philosophies and ideas. They're not proven to be producing good youngsters yet.

2 hours ago, bennyj22 said:

Is there any youth academy in the world with such a distinguished group of coaches?

Yes, lots of clubs. While they were quality players, none of them have really done anything in coaching to earn such high praise. 

2 hours ago, bennyj22 said:

I hope it will be corrected for the next installment, because listing their youth facilities as "poor" is a complete joke.

Facilities refer to just that, the physical environment available to the players. Your description of their vision has more to do with youth recruitment and maybe junior coaching. 

I'm sure it is fine for what needs to be done, but when the lads are rolling out the goals on wheels and surrounded by trees, I'm not going to say these are top facilities.  

Salford has gotten a LOT of attention from people over the past few years, obviously due to the United links.  However, even though they own the club, they haven't built La Masia, or even City's academy.

I'm going to trust in the powers that be for now, they generally do a very nice job in the lower leagues when sides actually have nice facilities.  Burton seems to come to mind right off the top of my head, as far as having great facilities at a low Football League level.

Here the lads out rolling out the nets...

Just went and checked to be thorough, I was actually in a match when I started browsing the forums, as I had gotten a forum notification.

Burton has "Excellent" Training Facilities and "State of the Art" youth facilities in League One, so I would assume they've done all six leagues pretty thorough, especially with Salford's added attention.

1 hour ago, Scotty Walds said:

Burton are based at St George's Park.

Indeed, and they've had those quality facilities for the past several versions, and the researchers always make sure that Burton still reaps those benefits, even being a lower-league club!  My point is that lower-league clubs aren't just hit with the "crap facilities" stick -- if they have access to great facilities, they get those facilities in-game.

We see someone like Crewe Alexandra, checking in with "Superb" training facilities and "Average" Youth Facilities, as another English LLM example.  

If a lower-league club actually is worthy of having higher-tier facilities, the researchers tend to make that a fact in-game, as well!  All of you researchers deserve a great deal of credit, and not enough is given -- so thank you, and great job! 

On 24/08/2018 at 14:51, bennyj22 said:

The owners, a Singaporean billionaire and the Class of 92 (a group of ex Man Utd players) opened the Academy of 92 in 2017. The coaches for the academy are Paul Scholes, Gary Neville, Phillip Neville, Nicky Butt and Ryan Giggs. Is there any youth academy in the world with such a distinguished group of coaches?

They are also going to be offering accredited degree qualifications in various subjects so that those that might not 'make the cut' can fall back on something. As well holding a philosophy that an education can only add to a young players mental development. Possibly the only academy to this in the world. They are also introducing a direct policy of introducing youth team players straight to first team. Their Director of Football, Chris Casper (also class of 92) is on record as saying that this is, to his knowledge, the only club in the country with such a policy.

All things considered, why didn't SI pick up on this? This was all happening in 2017.

Hiya Ryan/Nicky/Phil/Gary, Hiya Pal!

• SI Staff

At the end of the day this comes to should Salford be producing Newgens with PAs high enough to challenge the upper end of English football. I would argue that, as of yet, they should not.

The key word there was potentially. They may one day build a superb youth academy, but they do not have it yet. Therefore, they do not need to have superb ratings for everything. Besides, the education and philosophy side has little to do with the facilities themselves (as pointed out by others). They are a team that is likely to build in the future, and need time to have a better youth rating in game. If, in 5 years, they have an academy churning out excellent players, then it will be easy to justify having a better rating.

Of course, if you disagree, you can change it in the pregame editor to the value you think suits better.

15 hours ago, Seb Wassell said:

At the end of the day this comes to should Salford be producing Newgens with PAs high enough to challenge the upper end of English football. I would argue that, as of yet, they should not.

I would agree with you! 

I would add in that I think the only real bump they could potentially even get would be to Youth Recruitment.  The Class of '92 connection probably gives them a small bump when trying to sign youths in the area -- but I wouldn't even give them a bump to Junior Coaching.  I seem to remember articles about the dual-manager situation of the prior few years where they said that the Class of '92 was around the club very little, and certainly aren't having any type of impact in coaching the side or anything of the sort.  Which would make a lot of sense, pretty much every single one of those men that are affiliated with the club have significant other responsibilities, whether it be punditry, coaching, endorsements, or all three.

I think a good job has been done here. 

On 24/08/2018 at 14:51, bennyj22 said:

The coaches for the academy are Paul Scholes, Gary Neville, Phillip Neville, Nicky Butt and Ryan Giggs.

I always find it amazing how many people think players like this are instantly top drawer coaches. 

From what I've heard, Nicky Butt is the only well established coach out of that bunch. The rest have had pretty shocking coaching/managerial careers.

1 minute ago, Scotty Walds said:

Phil Nevile is head coach of the England women's national team... that's pretty well established.

But did he get the job because of his coaching skills or because he's Phil Neville?  Rhetorical question, and he may well have wowed them in an interview, but I'd imagine the name opens more doors than it perhaps should.

2 hours ago, Smkx_Muldoon said:

I always find it amazing how many people think players like this are instantly top drawer coaches. 

From what I've heard, Nicky Butt is the only well established coach out of that bunch. The rest have had pretty shocking coaching/managerial careers.

I agree, I'm a United supporter and they were brilliant players, but being a brilliant player and being a coach are two different things. Yeah sure being an ex-player gives you an advantage, but it just doesn't make you the ideal choice. You can have an advantage in anything in life and still fail.

3 hours ago, Smkx_Muldoon said:

Even more amazing is all the people who think they are having a major coaching impact at Salford! :D

It would definitely be OK for Salford if Nicky Butt was involved in their coaching staff -- but they are around the club very little.

1 hour ago, forameuss said:

But did he get the job because of his coaching skills or because he's Phil Neville?  Rhetorical question, and he may well have wowed them in an interview, but I'd imagine the name opens more doors than it perhaps should.

Phil Neville and Nicky Butt have done a decent amount of coaching in the past, I think both are well qualified as well. Phil was involved in Spain for a while (didn't he work with Bro G.Nev for a while?) and his family are still living there I think.

Giggsy as well has the quals, and of course, was Man Utd manager for a spell so there's some coaching skill there somewhere.

How involved they are at Salford  I don't know,  I would think they are the figureheads to attract promising youngsters, but still the real cream would be going to Utd or City academies.

14 hours ago, Snorks said:

Giggsy as well has the quals, and of course, was Man Utd manager for a spell so there's some coaching skill there somewhere.

He's also manager of the Welsh National Team so he's building those skills!

17 hours ago, Smkx_Muldoon said:

From what I've heard, Nicky Butt is the only well established coach out of that bunch.

IIRC, Nicky Butt is/was the guy heading up United's academy these days.

17 hours ago, Smkx_Muldoon said:

The rest have had pretty shocking coaching/managerial careers.

*cough* Gary Neville *cough*

14 hours ago, Snorks said:

Phil Neville and Nicky Butt have done a decent amount of coaching in the past, I think both are well qualified as well. Phil was involved in Spain for a while (didn't he work with Bro G.Nev for a while?) and his family are still living there I think.

Giggs and Phil Neville sat under Moyes and Van Gaal at United and clearly didn't offer much. Then the Nevilles disastrous spell with Valencia.

49 minutes ago, Smkx_Muldoon said:

Giggs and Phil Neville sat under Moyes and Van Gaal at United and clearly didn't offer much.

They both worked under Moyes, but only Giggsy worked under Van Gaal. By that point, Neville went over for that oh so 'brilliant' spell in Spain.

Are any of them really involved in coaching at Salford ? Enough to be classed by FM as being truly part time or full time ? Or are they only listed as being coaches on the Salford FC website for the publicity ?

At least three of them already have full time jobs.

who have they actually produced? Anyone who may be half decent would go elsewhere to a bigger club.  You will need evidence and fact to back u p any claims I might suggest

Big name ex-players wont necessarily mean good managers or coaches. Valencia proved this and we will see how Giggs does at Wales

Of the names you mention how often do they actually coach at Salford? I doubt they turn up every day.....bit like Linekar's bar...never seen him there :)

22 hours ago, White Flag said:

Are any of them really involved in coaching at Salford ? Enough to be classed by FM as being truly part time or full time ? Or are they only listed as being coaches on the Salford FC website for the publicity ?

At least three of them already have full time jobs.

They are not involved in the day-to-day whatsoever.  Chris Casper is the only member of the "Class of '92" who does pretty much anything on the day-to-day at the club.

Archived