Staff and Personality

Please clear/clarify some things for me if anyone can, because trying to choose staff members to recruit is driving me mad?

1. When looking for staff, how much importance do I give their personality?

2. What roles is postitive personality most important and which for which staff is it less so?

3. Do staff peronalty traits trump any of their important attributes?

For example, if I'm looking for a 1st team defending coach. Two candidates have everything identical except for the following, one has defending attribute at 19 but has a jovial personality, the other one has that same attribute at 17 but has a professional personality, who to try to sign?

Thanks.

Edited by mstrmind5

To be honest,  I would probably look at the '19' attribute as my preferred one if absolutely everything else was equal. As they are both positive personalities, or rather, neither are negative personalities the extra 2 points in attribute would swing it for me.

21 hours ago, Snorks said:

To be honest,  I would probably look at the '19' attribute as my preferred one if absolutely everything else was equal. As they are both positive personalities, or rather, neither are negative personalities the extra 2 points in attribute would swing it for me.

Not sure if I would categorize Jovial as a particularly non-negative personalities if you're planning to build a professional team, as from experience I've had a fair share of players with that personality missing their training every once in a while. They didn't get terribly mad at being fined though somehow...

But of course for any staff bar the HOYD it is inconsequential.

3 hours ago, bangkonggedek said:

Not sure if I would categorize Jovial as a particularly non-negative personalities if you're planning to build a professional team, as from experience I've had a fair share of players with that personality missing their training every once in a while. They didn't get terribly mad at being fined though somehow...

But of course for any staff bar the HOYD it is inconsequential.

To be fair I haven;t had that many 'Jovial' players, but can;t see it as being a negative and would think it had little influence on the player missing training- I suspect that may have been something caused elsewhere.

AFAIK or understand it, there are, as a generalisation, three personality 'types' - Positive (Professional, Ambitious etc) Negative (fairly obvious) and Neutral. Jovial is one of the neutral ones, which does neither harm nor good in the Dynamics.

For staff though, as with the OP, makes no difference unless for the HoYD.

1 minute ago, Snorks said:

To be fair I haven;t had that many 'Jovial' players, but can;t see it as being a negative and would think it had little influence on the player missing training- I suspect that may have been something caused elsewhere.

AFAIK or understand it, there are, as a generalisation, three personality 'types' - Positive (Professional, Ambitious etc) Negative (fairly obvious) and Neutral. Jovial is one of the neutral ones, which does neither harm nor good in the Dynamics.

For staff though, as with the OP, makes no difference unless for the HoYD.

Well to me Ambitious is mostly positive for the player's own development, though, but not so much for the team. Those type of players are very likely the first to moan for not getting enough game time, asking salary raise, wanting to move to bigger clubs etc. :seagull:

3 minutes ago, bangkonggedek said:

Well to me Ambitious is mostly positive for the player's own development, though, but not so much for the team. Those type of players are very likely the first to moan for not getting enough game time, asking salary raise, wanting to move to bigger clubs etc. :seagull:

Agree re: Ambitious - but that can depend on which club you are at I guess. It is/has been classed as 'Positive' because the player wants to be as good as he can be and will work hard, train well etc - while he is at your club at least. Playing League 2 say, with an ambitious player, yes, will be tempted by bigger clubs BUT will work hard to get you to League 1.

In an ideal world, employ coaches with both good personalities and coaching attributes.  But if it's a choice of either or (which it usually is), always go for coaching attributes (ie., Determination, Motivation, Discipline + the relevant technical attributes).

This is because whilst coach personalities can have an influence on newgen player personalities, it isn't all that great (the HoYD is much more influential here) and we can tutor young players anyway to alter their personalities.  Further, the primary purpose of a coach is to coach - it's their reason for being, it's what they'll do the most and where they will have the biggest influence on player development.  So get coaches with the best attributes you can afford and a decent personality is just a bonus.

49 minutes ago, s0ni42 said:

I thought staff personality could slowly adjust players’ personalities.

That doesn't happen.

On 05/09/2018 at 11:46, herne79 said:

In an ideal world, employ coaches with both good personalities and coaching attributes.  But if it's a choice of either or (which it usually is), always go for coaching attributes (ie., Determination, Motivation, Discipline + the relevant technical attributes).

This is because whilst coach personalities can have an influence on newgen player personalities, it isn't all that great (the HoYD is much more influential here) and we can tutor young players anyway to alter their personalities.  Further, the primary purpose of a coach is to coach - it's their reason for being, it's what they'll do the most and where they will have the biggest influence on player development.  So get coaches with the best attributes you can afford and a decent personality is just a bonus.

That doesn't happen.

Seems like there could be some personality influence in future. Would add element to player development

• 1 year later...
On 05/09/2018 at 16:54, s0ni42 said:

I thought staff personality could slowly adjust players’ personalities. I aim for professional for that reason.

On 05/09/2018 at 17:46, herne79 said:

That doesn't happen.

Sorry to thread necro here, I know this is old but it came up on search. Is this confirmed? Is the HOYD the only staff member you should bother with getting a good personality on?

On 05/09/2018 at 18:46, herne79 said:

This is because whilst coach personalities can have an influence on newgen player personalities, it isn't all that great (the HoYD is much more influential here) and we can tutor young players anyway to alter their personalities.

You seem to have skipped over this particular line here and it kind of answers your question - @Tiger666.