[FM19] Worldwide Champions League

New subforum, same old thread!

I'd like to start by thanking Graaa, the mad genius behind this custom USA database from FM15. This edit includes a lot of his work on the Extended Club World Cup that was part of that file alongside the changes I made, and I only posted it because he chose not to continue that mod or update it, but left its details as fair use for others, and I thought the idea was too awesome to let it vanish - as someone who plays a lot in the Americas I really liked the option of being able to take my team onto a bigger stage than the CONCACAF Champions League could provide. But enough biography.

This database edit replaces all club continental competitions and the Club World Cup with three worldwide club tournaments: the FIFA Champions League, World League, and Youth League. All domestic leagues are left untouched and will run alongside the intercontinental tournaments: fancy midweek trips to Argentina to play Boca between your league matches? I BET YOU DO.

The FIFA Champions League and World League are senior-level tournaments that mostly work how you expect: Champions League has better competition and better payouts (though the difference between the two isn't as derisory as in real life), finish high enough in your domestic league or win your major domestic cup and you get a ticket (if your league of choice doesn't use a single table or has some other continental qualification shenanigans, it SHOULD work properly depending on how SI or your database modder of choice coded that specific league, but I can't be certain. 

There are qualifiers (the Champions League winner, World League winner, and champions of 30 specified leagues do not have to go through them, and instead get automatic group stage places), and a group stage, and a knockout stage, and Big Fancy Neutral Site Finals. There is now also goal line technology and VAR (in CL/WL group stage games and onward). The FIFA Youth League uses a similar format and replaces the Viareggio Tournament or whatever it is called for people that aren't using the Susie Real Name fixes, that pits elite U18 teams against each other - I couldn't get the editor to choose exactly the teams that qualified for the CL, the way the UEFA Youth League does, but the idea is the same.

There is also a a FIFA Super Cup between the Champions League and World League winners, scheduled after qualifiers finish (since neither of those teams participate in them) but before the September international break and the start of the group stages.. 

Downloads: 

The FM19 version of this mod is available on the Steam Workshop, and also as an attachment to this post

Known Issues

Squad registrations may disappear upon loading a save game - this is apparently due to an SI bug, but on a CL/WL matchday you will still be able to select and register ineligible players even though it says you can't, so this is annoying but not fatal?

If you need more details, they're below. Let me know if there are any bugs or if you have any suggestions, and otherwise have fun!

Qualifiers:

The number of spots is fixed, unfortunately (even the advanced editor won't let me do otherwise), and laid out as follows in the FM18 version:

1 automatic CL group stage place, 3 places in 4th QR, 1 place and the cup winner in 3rd QR, 1 place in 2nd QR:

Spain, Germany, England, Italy, France, Brazil, Russia, Portugal, Argentina,

1 automatic CL group stage place, 2 places in 4th QR, 1 place and the cup winner in 3rd QR, 1 place in 2nd QR:

Ukraine, Mexico, Belgium, Turkey, Czechia,  Switzerland, Netherlands, Greece, USA, Austria, Croatia, Chile, Denmark, Colombia, Paraguay, Poland, Sweden, Israel, South Korea, Japan, China.

2 places in 4th QR, 1 place and the cup winner in 3rd QR, 1 place in 2nd QR:

Uruguay, Scotland

1 place in 4th QR, 1 place in 3rd QR, 1 place and the cup winner in 2nd QR:

Romania, Belarus, Ecuador, Cyprus, Norway, Ivory Coast, Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Peru, Serbia, Kazakhstan, Costa Rica, South Africa, Egypt, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Slovenia, Tunisia, Slovakia, Qatar, UAE, Moldova, Hungary,

1 place in 3rd QR, 1 place and the cup winner in 2nd QR:

Honduras, Algeria, Iceland, Morocco, Australia, Canada, Bosnia, Nigeria, Ghana

Every other FIFA member country ((in other words: all other countries in the DB except for defunct, disputed, or the following: Bonaire, Martinique, Reunion, St. Pierre and Miquelon, Zanzibar, Micronesia, Kiribati, French Guiana, Sint Maarten, Mayotte, Northern Mariana Islands, Guadeloupe, Saint Martin, Wallis and Futuna Islands, Tuvalu).) starts in the 1st QR, with one or two spots:

Countries that are playable in the base game that start here include: 

2 spots (league and cup champion): Finland, Wales, Ireland, Northern Ireland, India

1 spot (league champion only): Hong Kong, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore

Format Details:

The Champions League has four qualifying rounds, with two-legged fixtures starting in July. All CL qualifiers are seeded into these rounds depending on how high they finished and which league they qualified from or won the domestic cup in, as above. The 96 winners in the 4th qualifying round (August) go to the CL group stage along with the 32 automatic qualifiers, the losers go to the WL group stage.

Each group stage features groups of 4 (so six games each). CL plays on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, WL on Thursdays, from September through December.

CL: 32 groups of 4, the top 2 in each group qualify for the knockout rounds.

WL: The 24 group winners and the 8 best second-place finishers qualify for the knockout rounds, along with the 32 third-place finishers from the CL.

Everything goes as you'd expect from there.

Prize Money (all amounts in Euros)

CL Qualifying Phase:

1st round: 75k

2nd round: 150k

3rd round: 250k

4th round: 400k

CL Group Stage (WL pays about half this amount)

20M for all Group Stage participants, 1.5M per victory, 750k per draw

CL Knockout Rounds (WL pays about half this amount, Super Cup final pays approximately half of World League final):

7M for all knockout round participants, + 4M for reaching second knockout round + 6M for reaching QF + 10M for reaching SF  + 20M for winning final or 15M for losing final

1 hour ago, MAMRICCA said:

does it have any changes compared to the FM18 edition?

Only VAR and GLT, plus the changes I added in the public beta (since I had to use the FM18 editor to make them, they ended up in both the 18 and 19 versions)

Here are the changes I made to the 18 version in the public beta:

-disabled the "only 3 new players registered in January" feature for World League because it causes issues for teams dropping into the WL from the CL.
-re-enabled squad registration after confirming that a) the bug causing players to deregister after loading a save is on SI's end, and b) that users can still register players for CL/WL matches after the registration deadline if the bug occurs for them, by selecting them in pre-match window.
-various bugs relating to scheduling group stage games have been fixed. Hopefully for real this time.
-moved the final qualifying round forward a week to reduce conflicts with September international window.
-FIFA Super Cup has been added, similar to the UEFA version: a one-off neutral site match between the CL and WL winners, scheduled for the last Tuesday in August (between the last qualifying round and the September international break)
-rearranged CL qualifying spots roughly in order of league reputation (this is reflected in the OP of this thread)

Turns out that the "only 3 new players" feature ALSO causes problems with the deregistering bug (usually the game lets you register new players at matchday even after the deadline for some reason, but with the new players limit turned on it doesn't?) so I've hotfixed to remove that feature entirely.

Unfortunately you'll need to start a new save but that should be the last change I make for the foreseeable future (unless there are new bugs).

32 minutes ago, majesticeternity said:

How much has this been tested? 

Does it work with other editor data leagues/competitions added? 

Do you need to have all the leagues loaded?

I've been using this edit myself for every save I've done since 2016, and the only bug that's turned up was all the squad registration stuff last year - but the UEFA Revival mod had the same issue so this seems to be an SI thing. 

I also haven't figured out how to deal with the 2022 WC since SI finally gave up and implemented it in winter, but for the editor and holiday testing I've done I've only seen one or two group games that overlap with it and I assume the game won't award any more winter tournaments so I may just suck it up and live with it.

As for other editor data - other domestic leagues like Claasen's work fine with it (indeed I use them myself). It SHOULD take the right qualifying teams if the other league designates them in the right way (that is, if it just uses a single table OR if it uses the Continental Cup Qualifiers screen in Advanced Rules for any weird qualifying gimmicks it might have). Stuff like combined league files (Benelux, Balkans, World/Euro Super Leagues) will probably cause unexpected behaviour.

And you don't need any more leagues loaded than you would otherwise use.

• 2 months later...

For those of you starting new saves after the transfer deadline, I've updated this file to fix a couple of issues that have been reported. I've attached the download below but it will also be available in the OP and on the Steam Workshop:

bugfix - discipline rules should now work as intended (3 yellow cards for the first suspension, then another suspension for every 2 yellows after that. Yellow cards reset at the end of qualifying, at the end of the group stage, and after the quarterfinals)
tweak - moved the First Knockout Round (round of 64) to December in order to alleviate fixture congestion in the spring
tweak - adjusted schedule for 2022 tournaments to avoid the Qatar World Cup. Other years should maintain the normal schedule. 

Worldwide Champions League.fmf

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 09/04/2019 at 09:04, namooamita said:

How did you create 36 group in group stage?

The max no. of group allowed in the editor is 26. I tried many times to set 32 group myself but couldnt..

To set it in the editor you have to edit the editor's config files. This used to be a lot easier but it's still possible to do.

For FM19, download the FM19 Resource Archiver from Steam and launch it.

Click "Extract Archive" and find the file "comp editor.fmf" in your Steam folder "...\Steam\steamapps\common\Football Manager 2019\data"

Select a folder to extract the files to

In the new folder, find "group.xml" in the folder "format\rule group\advanced"

Look for this portion:

<!-- number of groups -->
            <record>
                <flags id="field" value="number_groups" />
                <translation id="name" translation_id="344403" type="use" value="Number Of Groups[COMMENT: advanced editor competition rules, set comp group details]" />
                <flags id="type" value="integer" />
                <translation id="hint" translation_id="294531" type="use" value="Number of groups in this group stage[COMMENT: Competition editor; field hint]" />
                <integer id="default_value" value="2" />
                <integer id="min_value" value="1" />
                <integer id="max_value" value="32" />            <!-- group Z is last group stage name -->
            </record>

Change "max_value" from 26 to 32.

Save the xml file.

Before you go to the next step, make a backup of your "comp editor.fmf" file in case the process goes wrong for whatever reason

Go to the Resource Archiver and package the file back together: Click "Create Archive" and save the archive file in the "...\Steam\steamapps\common\Football Manager 2019\data" folder.

Only overwrite the existing file there if you had made a backup of it.

Launch the Editor and it should let you set 32 groups.

After that, you'll need to give the extra groups custom names, because naming them with letters only goes up to 26, and (oddly enough) naming them with numbers has a limit too but I can't remember what it is.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 25/05/2019 at 00:35, anitamui said:

did the fa cup champions of Macau have spots at the fifa champions league?

I'm pretty sure that Macau are in the "league champions only" tier but I would have to check in the editor to be absolutely sure. 

edit: yes, only Macau's league champions get in, sorry.

Archived