OTF Big Fat Quiz of the Year 2018

Wigmore

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good evening OTF, it's time for the September answers. After tonight, we'll be three quarters of the way through the quiz, as we hurtle towards the first day of 2019 when we will find out who takes the crown for this year!

:hammer:

QUESTION 1: In September, what 3 items did Neil Brock tell us were in his garden? Point for each!

A rather tough opening question here, but interesting all the same. I have always wondered what it looks like through Neil's back door.

On 04/09/2018 at 13:44, Neil Brock said:

A little while ago for this photo, but generally one of my cats.

IMG_2008.JPG

And my missus. And a shed. 

Whilst there are many items in this picture, we are looking specifically for what he said was there, which was his cats, his wife and a shed!

Troubling start to September as nobody gets the maximum 3 points. Nobody even got 2! But at least @bestbrother@Semi Skilled Milk, @sebsy and @toon_84 spared your collective blushes with a point each.

Bad luck to @mark1985 was who, rather surprisingly I'm sure, very close to a point with his answer of "his ex-wife's lover".

QUESTION 2: A popular thread in September was about a viral boycott of what major brand? For a bonus point, why did the boycott start?

OTF love a boycott. Whether it be EA, Take Two, or the normal rules of social convention - we do enjoy steering clear of things. But what was this megaboycott all about?

On 05/09/2018 at 10:17, Klimowicz said:

Trump-Supporters-React-to-Nikes-Ad-Campa

It was a boycott of NIKE. And it was because they featured Colin Kapernick in an advert!

Fun fact - I had to cancel a meeting with NIKE once because they wouldn't let me in their head office in my Adidas Gazelles.

Point scorers here are:

2 points: @Confused Clarity, @Scott1892, @sebsy, @grff, @mark1985, @Bliss Seeker, @Sons FC, @Mr_Demus

1 point: @toon_84, @DB08

QUESTION 3: Barry Cartman asked us in September if, because of excessive extra charges, there was a more scummy company than what?

Seven of you said Ryanair here. WRONG! Although their extra charges are rather silly aren't they. The correct answer is, however, something even more infuriating for those of us who like to leave the house and do things.

On 20/09/2018 at 10:26, Barry Cartman said:

Is there a more scummy company than Ticketmaster?

Wife wants to go see Disney on Ice in a few weeks, so have bought them this morning

Service charge on each ticket

£3 postage because they don't let you just print them off yourself 

We were looking for Ticketmaster! The complaint is valid, Disney on Ice is a little questionable however.

Buying a winning ticket and earning a point on this question are @Confused Clarity, @Scott1892, @The_jagster, @Sons FC and @DB08

QUESTION 4: What did a bus driver do in September that lead to a debate on OTF as to whether he should have done it?

The most interesting answer here was from @Mr_Demus, who suggested that he was acting out "the wheels on the bus" as he was driving. I don't think there is a debate over whether or not a bus driver should do that - it's a definite yes from me. The answer is in fact a little more simple and much more violent.

On 20/09/2018 at 18:13, Redshift said:

Yeah, get your pitchforks out or don't and moan about the state of youth today. It was quite a wallop but I think the kid will live.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45586180

He slapped a child! Whammo!

Hail to not only the bus driver but also to @Confused Clarity, @Scott1892, @sebsy, @grff, @The_jagster, @Bliss Seeker, @bestbrother, @dafuge, @Sons FC, @DB08 and @georginho_juventusygr who got a point on this one :thup: 

QUESTION 5: Despite being criticised for posting a frankly bizarre video on Instagram, what celebrity did georginho_juventusygr describe in September as "still fit"?

Is Hitler's niece a celebrity? I'm not sure what possessed @mark1985 to settle on that - but good on him for trying.

On 30/09/2018 at 09:38, Razzler said:

Lindsay Lohan has been criticised online after posting a video showing her attempting to separate two children from their parents.

On 30/09/2018 at 11:13, georginho_juventusygr said:

Still fit.

Still a fitty despite going a bit mad in georginho's eyes is Lindsay Lohan!

Still a fitty in my eyes are @Confused Clarity, @Scott1892, @sebsy, @grff, @The_jagster, @dafuge, @Sons FC, @DB08, @Mr_Demus and @georginho_juventusygr who got a point!

QUESTION 6: What happened to Katie Hopkins in September that I described as "fantastic news"?

Ah, Katie Hopkins.... what a ****ing ****. Any bad news for her is fabulous news in my world, so this was a real humdinger.

On 16/09/2018 at 12:49, Blue Lou said:
I can confirm today that following that landmark libel case, Katie Hopkins has entered into an IVA to avoid bankruptcy.
On 17/09/2018 at 11:25, Wigmore said:

Fantastic news.

She went bankrupt! Huzzah!!!

Ending this question with a positive bank balance of +1 point are @Confused Clarity, @Scott1892, @sebsy, @grff, @The_jagster, @gechal, @bestbrother, @Sons FC, @DB08 and @KF1990.

QUESTION 7: What "huge technological breakthrough" did the BBC achieve in September that Barry Cartman said was "too ****ing late now"?

Does anyone know if this is actually happening now? Because it's really cool if so - I accidentally ruined a World Cup match for someone in the summer because this breakthrough had not happened yet.

On 13/09/2018 at 09:36, Coulthard's Jaw said:

The BBC says it has worked out how to eliminate "streaming lag", which causes live TV to be delayed by several seconds when watched online.

On 13/09/2018 at 09:44, Barry Cartman said:

Too ****ing late now :D 

I am of course talking about the BBC working out how to remove lag from live TV when watched online!

Leaving the others lagging behind on this question are @Semi Skilled Milk, @Confused Clarity, @toon_84, @The_jagster, @Sons FC and @DB08 who got a point each.

@Mr_Demus is for the second time this farthest away from the correct answer on this occasion. He went for "real dolls".... what does it mean??? :/

Also worthy of a mention is @KF1990's answer of "artificial embryos" :P

@Barry Cartman may want to have a word with @Bliss Seeker, who thinks it is too late for him to have man boob reduction technology in his life.

27 minutes ago, Wigmore said:

QUESTION 1: In September, what 3 items did Neil Brock tell us were in his garden? Point for each!

A rather tough opening question here, but interesting all the same. I have always wondered what it looks like through Neil's back door.

Whilst there are many items in this picture, we are looking specifically for what he said was there, which was his cats, his wife and a shed!

Troubling start to September as nobody gets the maximum 3 points. Nobody even got 2! But at least the @Semi Skilled Milk, @sebsy and @toon_84 spared your collective blushes with a point each.

Bad luck to @mark1985 was who, rather surprisingly I'm sure, very close to a point with his answer of "his ex-wife's lover".

1. In September, what 3 items did @Neil Brock tell us were in his garden? Point for each!

Cat, Neighbour & Dead Bird

I put Cat! Can I claim a point, im desperate and not even topping the non cheater boards :(

QUESTION 8: What was the subject of the OTF thread in September where the following comments were posted? "REDACTED", "REDACTED", "REDACTED", "REDACTED".

A confusing question for what was a confusing thread. Everyone's comments were getting redacted... but why??

On 11/09/2018 at 12:57, leftback in the changing room said:

Well, sort of.

REDACTED  REDACTED MP is currently presenting a 10 minute rule motion aimed at forcing moderators to be responsible for content posted on private forums. It's a classic of the 'well intentioned idea being REDACTED REDACTED out and REDACTED-of-choice REDACTED us if it ever gets REDACTED' REDACTED.

On 11/09/2018 at 13:37, Barry Cartman said:

REDACTED

On 11/09/2018 at 13:40, Readingfanman said:

REDACTED

On 11/09/2018 at 13:43, Snedhead said:

REDACTED

On 11/09/2018 at 13:53, Barry Cartman said:

REDACTED

It was all about a government debate about online forums!

Just two of you decoded this question successfully, congrats to REDACTED and REDACTED!

REDACTED went for a slightly controversial answer on his question, saying that the REDACTED is REDACTED about REDACTED.

2 minutes ago, bestbrother said:

1. In September, what 3 items did @Neil Brock tell us were in his garden? Point for each!

Cat, Neighbour & Dead Bird

I put Cat! Can I claim a point, im desperate and not even topping the non cheater boards :(

Claim approved.

QUESTION 9: Which sporting pair "won the Internet", according to Mr Adam, after posting a Twitter video in bed together with the trophy they had just won in September? One point for the name of the sporting pair, one point for the name of the trophy they had won

Guys, this was my favourite thing in the world ever and you should have fully expected a question about the greatest tournament in the greatest sport on earth.

On 01/10/2018 at 11:36, Mr Adam said:

And they've won the internet

This was all about Ryder Cup heroes Tommy Fleetwood and Francesco Molinari! They were really rather wonderful, and as @sebsy pointed out to me in PM, Tommy does have a fabulous mane of hair to boot.

Congrats to the following points scorers on this question:

2 points: @Scott1892, @dafuge, @Sons FC, @KF1990

1 point: @sebsy, @grff, @The_jagster

@Confused Clarity gets the sum of nothing here as he thought this was about canoeing (:

QUESTION 10: What was akura complaining about in September that lead mark1985 to respond saying "there's me thinking he just made rice based snacks"?

Blimey, we're already at the end of September! Just this tricky little bugger to decipher and then we can all move on with our lives. What's this rice based thing all about?!

On 24/09/2018 at 00:05, akura said:

I've been watching the spiderman animated series over the past few nights, I'm on the 3rd series, i hate uncle ben, did you guys know uncle ben is peter parkers uncle and he died in a robbery, did ya? Huh? Well he did... 

**** uncle ben. 

On 24/09/2018 at 01:05, mark1985 said:

And there's me thinking he just made rice based snacks. You learn something new everyday.

akura was talking about Uncle Ben from Spiderman! A lot of you mentioned Uncle Ben here but that is NOT GOOD ENOUGH. Everyone knows Uncle Ben makes great rice, so to get the point you had to mention Spiderman too.

Weaving a web of victory to finish up September are @Confused Clarity, @Scott1892 and @toon_84 - a point each to you!

@mark1985 has once again got his own question wrong, but since he did mention Uncle Ben and since it's Christmas, I am going to spare him from the embarrassment of being deducted a point. Feliz Navidad!

September over! Leaderboards and ting coming soon!

The October round is here and we are officially getting to the BUSINESS END of the megaquiz. October was only like a few days ago right, so you might well remember all of the below things? And the power is with you if you do, because there are more points available in this round than there has been in any previous round!

Round 10 - OCTOBER

1. What videos did somebody start a thread about in October that lead to the following OTF replies: "What the ****", "What the actual ****", "**** me", "Erm...", "Nurse!"

2. What news story was @Redshift describing when he posted this picture in October?

stream_img.jpg

3. What news story / announcement in October was @mark1985 providing his reaction to when he posted this gif? 

F5C5B9F5-449D-4296-B4C7-683ADB8570FF.gif.2109193da033c806d03016cedb42394f.gif

4. For FIVE points(!!!), can you name 5 British people who OTF consider to be national treasures in the UK, but are unknown abroad? 5 guesses only!

5. What happened in October that lead @bestbrother to quip "You could say this is a case of Chinese Takeaway"?

6. What did @Bombonera make a thread to ask about in October that made plenty of OTFers a little concerned?

7. I have already told you the answer to this question, what is it?

8. For another FIVE points(!!!), can you name 5 sporting venues that OTFers offered in a discussion about what the most iconic sporting venues in the world are? 5 guesses only!

9. The finale of what TV show was described by various OTFers as "explosive telly", "just brilliant" and "best TV since Breaking Bad"?

10. @Nobby_McDonald told us in October that he avoids eating out anywhere that does what?

Guess what? IT'S CHRIIIIIIIISSSSTTMMAAAASSSSSSSSS!!!!!! As such, your deadline is a long one to account for all the festivities. Please submit your October answers to me by 7pm on Thursday 27 December. Good luck!

Archived