The long ball...

Hi all, Haven't posted for years but this year I have a question. This was a evident issue last year but in FM19 seems to happen even more...

It seems no matter what tactic I use, with what team and with any style the hoof over the top always catches us out. Is this a 'feature' or is there some way of stopping this all the time?

Thankfully the strikers seem to miss most of the one on one's. 

The rest of how I have my team playing is good but we don't win as much as we should due to letting in to many goals from the hoof....

thanks

All the tine, no. There always is a risk or lucky balls and this year these balls are especially dangerous.

What you can do is analyse what long balls you face. The basic ones centrally are over the top of the defense and those skipping the midfield, between your defense and midfield. 

Positions: If they go over the top a defender on cover duty or a Sweeper Keeper can help. If they skip the midfield and cut between the lines, a DM or stopper defender can help. 

Defensive line: A deeper line stops balls over the top but it becomes easier to get in shooting range or closer to the goal. One or two pressers help here. A higher line invites those balls over the top but restricts other movement; an offside trap is a risky but good method to stop the long balls as well

Opportunity: Opponents punish space and time. Rule of thumb: If the opponents have time, restrict spaces; if the opponents have space, restrict their time for decisions. 

There are also the long balls to the flank. Here I am a bit unsure about best practices as I handle those by a strong centre that can endure and strike back. I'd guess early pressing and tackles or showing onto weaker feet might be a solution as crosses are also dangers from further back. 

What's the attributes of your defenders? Are they quick, can they positions themselves well? Good anticipation, concentration? No? Then you're going to have issues playing a high line and balls over the top.

What's the attributes of your attackers? Can they defend from the front? Who's pressuring the defence on the ball? Is it your work rate 5 flamboyant Balotelli like striker? Then you're going to have issues playing a high line.

Are you playing as a top team in your division and counter pressing against the lower rep teams? Then you're going to have issues playing a high line. Counter Pressing is an extreme option where as soon as you lose the ball, your players throw caution to the wind to win it back immediately. You could have 3/4 players out of position to close the ball down on a player who's about to punt it long anyway, so now 3/4 of your players are out the game as you're now on the defence. If you think of the famous examples of Counter Pressing, one that comes to mind is Liverpool vs Man City last season. Man City were not allowed to play their natural patient game by the extreme counter pressing of Liverpool. If a team's natural game is the play on the break, sacrificing 3/4 players to press them is worthless.

3 hours ago, AlanSilver said:

Hi all, Haven't posted for years but this year I have a question. This was a evident issue last year but in FM19 seems to happen even more...

It seems no matter what tactic I use, with what team and with any style the hoof over the top always catches us out. Is this a 'feature' or is there some way of stopping this all the time?

Thankfully the strikers seem to miss most of the one on one's. 

The rest of how I have my team playing is good but we don't win as much as we should due to letting in to many goals from the hoof....

thanks

My opinion on this would be:

If youre playing a high press, you are encouraging this behaviour from your opponent. By pressing hard high up the field, you are forcing them into kicking it long, over the top into the space behind you. So you may be partly encouraging the problem.

If you want to play a high line, I would make sure that in your back 4 you have a covering defender who reads the game well and is quick, who can mop up the ball over the top, and that your forward players all have good physical attributes to maintain the high press, or else they will be bypassed all together.

But for most teams, ive found a slightly deeper defensive line and line of engagement allows the opposition to play into midfield more and it allows you to set your shape better to win the ball back.

You cant stop all the balls over the top, but it also naturally helps to have a keeper who is good on 1 v 1s too

Stop it at source or destination. 

First one is more difficult, you need to pin point the player/s making the pass... Is it a pass or a clearance? Can you close down more (I. E. If its a Playmaker making a long pass)? Should you close down less (I. E. If its your pressure forcing opponent back line to make long clearances)? 

Or maybe you can't prevent it or don't want to... In which case stop it at destination... Deeper line or cover duty CB, or cbs great in the air with recovery pace as well etc

Archived