Control Possession Player Traits

I am setting up some player traits for my players on FM19 and for my tactical style and identity am looking at controlling possession.  A number of my players have good dribbling, acceleration, pace, flair and agility stats, suiting them for player traits of run with the ball through centre, right / left etc... 

Does running with the ball and dribbling suit a control possession style.  I am sure I read somewhere in the past that you should be just looking to pass the ball around and dribble less but this was some time ago.

Any advice

3 hours ago, wazza said:

A number of my players have good dribbling, acceleration, pace, flair and agility stats, suiting them for player traits of run with the ball through centre, right / left etc... 

Do they already have these traits or you want them to learn the traits?

Anyway, if you want to play a control possession style, you first need to set up a formation that suits such type of football. Shorter (or even much shorter) passing, lower tempo, play out of defence and work ball into box are TIs that should help you achieve that style. Finally, you should use a relatively good number of support duties, but which particular players (positions/roles) should be given these duties depends on what formation you use. This does not mean that you should not use attack duties, of course you should, but not too many. An example:

F9

APMs                                    IFa

CAR       BBM

HB

IWBa         CD         CD       FBs

SKs

20 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Do they already have these traits or you want them to learn the traits?

No they don't have the traits I am wondering if I should get them to learn them as they have good stats to suit good / excellent dribbling.

I have already set the team up successfully for the control possession style tactically.  I was just wondering about the traits.  I do like to see players running with the ball if there attributes allow but didn't want to do it if it affects the control possession tactical style

If they are technically good, it basically won't harm your style of play, but don't ask too many players to learn those traits, just a couple of them would be enough. Playing nice passing combinations is more important for the possession style than running with the ball and dribbling too much.

Archived