Klopp's Liverpool is overpowered

Hello guys,

In my current (and only, for now) save I've just finished season 2021/22, and Liverpool has now won THREE consecutive Champions Leagues. 

My Roma side has faced them three times during my career, with two losses and one draw. They seem to be pretty much unplayable, especially with Salah and Mane upfront. Virgil Van Dijk seems like a fusion between Baresi and Beckenbauer, plus his defensive partner De Light is very well known both in the FM community and in real life.

Have you encountered anything similar?

in my latest (2022) save it has been atletico, barca, psg, psg. man utd & liverpool runner up two times.

to be fair though klopp lost his mind and decided to spend £72 million on inaki williams and then got sacked within a year.

in my 2031 save it is as follows: liverpool, liverpool, liverpool. then they had a barren spell with no appearance in the final at all for 8 seasons.

but klopp left in 2025 for real madrid (who didn't win it under him), and then left them for chelsea who haven't won it either.

i feel I can take some of the blame though, as his chelsea squad is composed almost entirely of regens that were trained by me at various clubs.

If that is the backline they have they are going to be incredibly tough to beat. Their starting squad is already strong but with the addition of de light they can probably be very strong for a few seasons.

12 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

If that is the backline they have they are going to be incredibly tough to beat. Their starting squad is already strong but with the addition of de light they can probably be very strong for a few seasons.

They also have Joao Felix as AP, with Fabinho and Keita behind him :/

I am only up to the 21/22 season after having some time off. Liverpool in my save have played 11 games in the EPL for 10 wins and a draw. The draw coming to me Man City 0-0. There wins have been 6-0, 5-1, 5-2 all basically like that. A couple of those wins have been against Man United who sit second and Tottenham who sit 4th. They do seem rather overpowered this year in my save also.

I am in 2027 with my save and Liverpool continue to fall short, they may have had a good team, but haven't done better than 2nd in 2 seasons. Manchester clubs seem to have a monopoly on the league with Arsenal turning into surprise winners in 2027

On 21/04/2019 at 21:46, enigmatic said:

I am truly shocked that Liverpool is a good team in Football Manager and that De Ligt improves their back line...

If you cannot see the difference between 'being a good team' and winning three Champions Leagues in a row (something that only once happened IRL), then I really cannot help you, my friend.

14 minutes ago, DarklinkCL said:

If you cannot see the difference between 'being a good team' and winning three Champions Leagues in a row (something that only once happened IRL), then I really cannot help you, my friend.

I mean, Liverpool are on course for their second Champions League final in a row IRL, and last season's squad was a fair bit weaker than the current one. Hardly an amazing outlier for them to repeat that performance after further improvements to their squad, especially not in a game where abilities are entirely on paper, reputation is dynamic and the high press really works.

If you cannot see that expressing surprise that Van Dijk, Mane and Salah are giving your Roma team problems and framing that as them being "overpowered" might sound a bit amusing to people that have had to endure Liverpool fans crowing about how amazing their team is all season, then I really cannot help you.

On 23/04/2019 at 22:02, enigmatic said:

I mean, Liverpool are on course for their second Champions League final in a row IRL, and last season's squad was a fair bit weaker than the current one. Hardly an amazing outlier for them to repeat that performance after further improvements to their squad, especially not in a game where abilities are entirely on paper, reputation is dynamic and the high press really works.

If you cannot see that expressing surprise that Van Dijk, Mane and Salah are giving your Roma team problems and framing that as them being "overpowered" might sound a bit amusing to people that have had to endure Liverpool fans crowing about how amazing their team is all season, then I really cannot help you.

I don't need your help, buddy.

As I said I only played against them three times, they are giving everyone problems (to say the least) as they are winning both the PL and the Champions League every season. I didn't open this topic to complain or to ask SI to fix this, but just to ask the rest of the players if this is happening on their saves too. So please give me a favour and spare me your pontificating, thanks.

In my save Klopp left Liverpool for Arsenal (no idea why). He then got sacked. Zidane replaced Klopp at Liverpool and won the league. Then he also left for Arsenal, and finished 5th. They did win the Champion's League though. Simeone came to Liverpool. I fully expect him to go to Arsenal at some point. 

On a related note, it is not Liverpool I find unplayable (I did finally beat them twice in my last season), but bloody Zidane. I cannot get close to any side he manages. He is my nemesis. 

I would say is not liverpool itself but a combination of ai tactic that works plus players that make thay tactic work as a charm

For instances that what happened with mourinho in 17 and 18, in my save in 17 (which im playing while 20 arrives) i just couldn't beat mourinho in total matches in a single season until 2041 where i beated him in comm shield, 1 win and a draw in league and 2 wins in champions

There is always a manager with a tactic and team to destroy all europe in each iteration of the game

3 hours ago, sporadicsmiles said:

In my save Klopp left Liverpool for Arsenal (no idea why). He then got sacked. Zidane replaced Klopp at Liverpool and won the league. Then he also left for Arsenal, and finished 5th. They did win the Champion's League though. Simeone came to Liverpool. I fully expect him to go to Arsenal at some point. 

On a related note, it is not Liverpool I find unplayable (I did finally beat them twice in my last season), but bloody Zidane. I cannot get close to any side he manages. He is my nemesis. 

Similar to my Dortmund save - first season Arsenal won the league with Liverpool coming 5th but beating me in the Champions League final, Klopp left for City who had come 2nd, and Simeone came to Liverpool and won the League and lost to me in the Champions League final, and Klopp is still at City now.

Liverpool went close to unbeaten in the league in my save (first season). Bournemouth came to the rescue. It ended up with Liverpool v City in the Champs League final. I attended the match (United manager), and saw Liverpool lose 2-0 in ET to a 10 man City side. Bernado Silva getting sent off in the first half for 2 yellows.

After finally playing two seasons with England fully loaded in, the entire league is bonkers.

With them just marked as View Only, England is kinda stereotypical: Big money for overperforming players (thanks for the money), some bloat, and no real structure on their squads. Once their original squad's contracts are ending (and either get renewed for big, big money or just do a nice swap around the league) and all their mediocre one-season wonders go from loan to loan, they slowly turn into international non-entities. 

But with them set as playable? Even teams without any chance of ever seeing Europe (although granted, the top teams are pretty much set) have and buy players I would kill for at most Upper Euroleague teams and could very well find a place for in most non PSG/Barca/Real/Bayern/Juve European teams. Not only the stats but also the personalities and traits!

As for Liverpool in particular, they just start with a good package: Young-ish players in key positions. Counter-press system and squad. Good balance and good management. Give them an above average first transfer window and they are pretty much set for quite some seasons to come. 

Kinda like Dortmund on drugs but with far better holding power. I once played a file with Dortmund's reputation increased a good bit. They held their young talented guys and together with the old veterans and their general philosophy dethroned Bayern who only stayed competetive because they lucked themselves into De Light and then bought almost the entire Leverkusen offensive line  over a two year period (Haverz, Bailley, Paulinho with Brandt ultimately refusing the contract and going elsewhere). 

Liverpool has, from my limited knowledge of them, a similar squad and philosophy (only fitting as Klopp build up the current Dortmundian general outlook on football) but more money, reputation and star power and no Bayern in the league who completely overshadow everyone else. 

Without these bonuses, Dortmund often can't keep up in the simulation and without star youths coming in every other year, they often flounder. Liverpool has these bonuses build in but just more extremely.

(Leverkusen *could* be similar but in AI hands their offense is too quickly gone unless the repuration goes fully bananas and their defense (and Team Leaders) can't keep up with them, warranting such a reshaping that they can easily fall into unrest or flights due to management or get into flights due to poor results.)

19 hours ago, DarklinkCL said:

I don't need your help, buddy.

As I said I only played against them three times, they are giving everyone problems (to say the least) as they are winning both the PL and the Champions League every season. I didn't open this topic to complain or to ask SI to fix this, but just to ask the rest of the players if this is happening on their saves too. So please give me a favour and spare me your pontificating, thanks.

If your conclusion from reading this thread is that Liverpool are giving everyone problems then you clearly weren't actually at all interested in reading the answers...

I've had a mixed bag with Liverpool. In some of my saves they win a lot and are a dominant force, in others they fail and fall out of the CL spots. I had much more issues with Man Utd in FM17 and 18. They always dominated everything there in just about every game I played.

This is getting ridiculous...

Screen Shot 2019-05-04 at 01.52.47.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-04 at 01.53.19.png

I am used to English clubs being overrated and much stronger in FM compared to real life, being it an English game, but in this edition (based on my only career so far) the situation seems to have gotten way too far.

Liverpool has beaten Chelsea in this last final, by the way...

I am starting to think that this may be a bug, that Klopp's AI has sort of found a game-breaking exploit against other AIs (and myself, when we play against each other) that makes his team unbeatable. Unfortunately I am slowly losing interest in this career, giving the fact that I am winning Serie A comfortably each season and at the same time I know that Champions League will be impossible to win because of Liverpool :(

On 30/04/2019 at 13:47, enigmatic said:

If your conclusion from reading this thread is that Liverpool are giving everyone problems then you clearly weren't actually at all interested in reading the answers...

Giving everyone problems meaning all the other teams in my game...

For Christ's sake, this guy...

In my game Liverpool did not start off like that, but after 3 years or so it was similar.  The league was all Liverpool, Europe was between Liverpool, Barcelona, and Juventus.

I'm speaking of 2022+ or so.

The first 2-3 years were as  normal

On 04/05/2019 at 01:59, DarklinkCL said:

Pay him no attention. He reads your posts like the devil reads the bible and his only interest is to get you riled up. He did it in one of my threads too. Ignore the troll.

On ‎04‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 00:59, DarklinkCL said:

Personally I read your post in the same way as enigmatic, so not just him :).

8 minutes ago, Troels Jensen said:

Pay him no attention. He reads your posts like the devil reads the bible and his only interest is to get you riled up. He did it in one of my threads too. Ignore the troll.

Again, not just him and offering different opinions or points of view isn't trolling.  Please don't make personal remarks, that sort of thing never ends well.

In any of the saves I've done, Liverpool have been good but haven't dominated. They have won league titles but not won any European trophies, and in fact Man city have been better on all the saves I've done, especially since the winter update.

In all fairness if you look at their squad, their 1st 11 doesn't really have much of a weakness, with only Man city having a better squad in the prem. Liverpool have a team of players hitting their prime in Mane, Salah and Van Dijk, plus young players excelling such as TAA and Robertson, and if the AI buys well for them then it doesn't surprise me they dominate in some people's saves.

However on a new save I have just started, I holidayed the 1st season, took over Man utd at the end of the season after they hadn't finished in the top 4, and man city won the domestic treble, and Liverpool won nothing.

So its going to be different for everyone but I wouldn't say they are overpowered not for me anyway, they are just very good.

On 06/05/2019 at 17:52, herne79 said:

Personally I read your post in the same way as enigmatic, so not just him :).

Again, not just him and offering different opinions or points of view isn't trolling.  Please don't make personal remarks, that sort of thing never ends well.

So this is ok?: ' If your conclusion from reading this thread is that Liverpool are giving everyone problems then you clearly weren't actually at all interested in reading the answers... '

I'm just curious, because to me that last part is not at all necessary - it serves only one purpose which is to provoke a reaction. I don't particularly agree with the OP, but there's no need for such replies .. ah well ..

On 21/04/2019 at 14:47, DarklinkCL said:

Hello guys,

In my current (and only, for now) save I've just finished season 2021/22, and Liverpool has now won THREE consecutive Champions Leagues. 

My Roma side has faced them three times during my career, with two losses and one draw. They seem to be pretty much unplayable, especially with Salah and Mane upfront. Virgil Van Dijk seems like a fusion between Baresi and Beckenbauer, plus his defensive partner De Light is very well known both in the FM community and in real life.

Have you encountered anything similar?

Liverpool in real life are overpowered.. :D

another Champions League Final for them :lol::applause:

image.thumb.png.ffb9a31e743aa405699cef29e653aff0.png

9 hours ago, DarklinkCL said:

If they'll win this one AND the next three after it, then we may come back to this topic and say that I was all wrong! :D

or maybe its your management of your team thats the problem :)

Don't forget to look inwards as well as outwards is my suggestion

Ive not seen this in my saves or soaks

I have won 3 Serie A titles and two Italian cups in 5 years, reaching twice the Champions League Quarter finals and once the Semifinal (losing against Liverpool two times...). All of this with my salaries budget way lower than the average Premier League/La Liga top team's, and many club-grown players regularly playing in the first team.

I don't think I'm doing too bad to be honest :)

Ladies and gentlemen, I don't know what else to say :)

Please be honest: has anything like this ever happened to you ever, in any FM/CM game?

P.S. The game seems to be wanting to troll me even harder, as the decisive goal was scored on the 95th minutes but the ref only gave 4 minutes of stoppage time.

Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 00.28.31.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 00.28.44.png

1 hour ago, DarklinkCL said:

Please be honest: has anything like this ever happened to you ever, in any FM/CM game?

Week in, week out. Good teams find a way to win.

What did you change to defend your lead? What tactical brilliance did you deploy to see out the win? 

I did what I had to do.

But 5 CHIAMPIONS EFFING LEAGUES in a row, I'm not sure if this is clear.

This is the first time I see the AI finding a combinations of exploits to beat the player + the other AIs consistently :D

• 2 weeks later...

I am 10 seasons into a Norwich save and Liverpool are yet to win the league, although had 4 CL wins.

Chelsea

Man Utd

Man City

Man Utd

Man City

Man Utd

Man Utd

Man Utd

Man Utd

Man Utd

Manchester United have formed an incredible squad over the early seasons and continue with big money buys of regens.... interesting to note, that Pep has been in charge since there 5 year run as champions. Also had multiple CL wins too!

Archived