JoseRR's FM09 Big Euro Nation Challenge!

Monster's return would be epic. I seem to remember you writing a report based on how he "Monstered Porto" or something along those lines :D

You mean

The Presentations

The first award presented was for the Liga Vitalis

Team of the Year, shockingly only one AD Fafe name was called out, that of Monasteiro "The Monster" this caused Tiny to nod thoughtfully, he was quoted later as saying, "Hopefully next season he will be Monstering Porto"

Up next we saw the presentation for the leading helper of the season, the crowd went silent before erupting as The Monster picked up the award for the Most Assists. Tiny was gathered in the small group that went up with The Monster to accept this award, The Monster's acceptance speech thanked the club, but most of all the players, without them I could not assist on goals.

This was the season of my promotion to Liga Sagres.

Edit: Holy over 4000 posts. & Page 41?

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just an interesting look at my squad in the October International Window. The following players are out representing their nations.

Ukraine - Kiselev (U21), Tarasenko (Sen)

Lithuania - Pantovic (Sen)

Portugal - Mendes (U21), Alexio (U21), Rocha (U21)

Switzerland - Stein (Sen)

Italy - Di Guiseppe (U21)

Brazil - Tiago (U21), Marcel (U21)

Norway - Shala (Sen)

Serbia - Radakovic (Sen)

U.S.A. - Crawford (Sen)

Greece - Filis (Sen)

Sweden - Persson (U21)

DR Congo - Costa (Sen)

Slovenia - Gresovnik (Sen)

Quite a line up really, and it leaves me bare, so I assume every game will be moved in the next week haha.

thats quite a spread of nations there Des... i don't think mine is quite as much, although numbers wise it's similar, if not slightly more. especially on the youth sides.

AD Fafe are the United Nations. Its quite interesting to see how its all over the place, but they are representing at all levels.

Just got done by a Slovakian Ref in our first Champions League home game vs Inter !

We took the lead 5 mins before half time and looked their equal. So the ref gave my CB a second yellow in a very dodgy decision just after we returned from the break. They equalized on 57 minutes... BUT WE STILL HELD ON FOR THE DRAW !!

Des, where are those Asians?!?! :D
Ummm I have no idea, guess I haven't found any yet, maybe I need to widen my scouts dragnet, but the ones I had in Asia were always finding nothing so i bought them home haha.

I am currently in a dilemma, I cannot win a game at all. I even drew with St Mirren, and I am plummetting down the league, I think I have rested too much on the players I have. Yes I spent a fair bit of money, but it was deliberate and directed purchasing. I think I am going to sell all the fringe players first and then also try and replace anyone who doesn't have a future in the club, so come January I may redo a few major spots, but more likely the end of this season if I still have a job. I need to do something desperately.

Ummm I have no idea, guess I haven't found any yet, maybe I need to widen my scouts dragnet, but the ones I had in Asia were always finding nothing so i bought them home haha.

I am currently in a dilemma, I cannot win a game at all. I even drew with St Mirren, and I am plummetting down the league, I think I have rested too much on the players I have. Yes I spent a fair bit of money, but it was deliberate and directed purchasing. I think I am going to sell all the fringe players first and then also try and replace anyone who doesn't have a future in the club, so come January I may redo a few major spots, but more likely the end of this season if I still have a job. I need to do something desperately.

i agree that that is the best thing to do. Anyone who doesn't play (but isn't promising youth) or that isn't fairly replacable, i'd look to get rid of. Then use this money (and wage budget) to try and increase the quality of the starting XI. the players you have will be more than adequate replacements no doubt.

i found this worked for me. i had a vastly over inflated squad, many of whom would never play due to the 25 man squad restrictions. i cleared then out for a healthy profit, and re-invested this into quality rather than quantity. worked ok for me!!

Hi, im trying to start this challenge but my laptop is going rediculously slow in holiday mode. I dont suppose anyone has a save game uploaded for either the italian or spanish league as i would much appreciate it? or if you could point me towards a save game. i tried a search but i found nothing. Thanks

Sorry nubei I only have Portugal & Holland games saved.

Yeah Rlips I am tempted to dump a large number of my current XI as well that are only 4 star as I have a group of 18-20 year olds who are so close in quality that they can probably replace them, so I am tempted to play them and take a hit for a season or so. I have managed to fight back to 7th this season so far, but I am out of Europe (2 group games left).

As for the save game I will start one running now if you like.

LLR - I noticed while doing updates for my sign up that Liga Sagres only has 30 games a season. Do you find the seasons go quickly in Portugal or is it the same as any other league once you include cups and Europe? Just asking as, if all goes well at Yalovaspor, I may need a new challenge soon ;)

LLR - I noticed while doing updates for my sign up that Liga Sagres only has 30 games a season. Do you find the seasons go quickly in Portugal or is it the same as any other league once you include cups and Europe? Just asking as, if all goes well at Yalovaspor, I may need a new challenge soon ;)

Sometimes they seem to go quicker, but now that Europe is involved my season is starting in mid June and not finishing til mid-late May. Last year my players played sooo many games it almost killed me. But in the early years it all goes faster, I must say I also liked the 2nd Division set-up, 4 groups of 12, then top 6 from each group go to Promotion playoff and face each other 2 more times. Then the winners of the 4 promotion stages face each other in the promotion semis, winners of which go up. It does make getting out of there harder, but I love Portugal. If I can't crack it in FM09 I will be back in FM10.

Thanks for looking. Hopefully someone will have a holiday game.
Got spain on holiday 2 months gone in 16mins, but sadly I have to go to work in 40mins, so its going to be very close...I am trying for you though.

If you can wait til I get home from work tonight I will have one for you in Spain. Hit Feb in 45mins, :)

Sorry nubei I only have Portugal & Holland games saved.

Yeah Rlips I am tempted to dump a large number of my current XI as well that are only 4 star as I have a group of 18-20 year olds who are so close in quality that they can probably replace them, so I am tempted to play them and take a hit for a season or so. I have managed to fight back to 7th this season so far, but I am out of Europe (2 group games left).

As for the save game I will start one running now if you like.

i say go for it Des.....

My season has been very boring so far, been sitting outside the promotion playoffs all season. Currently in Febuary, hopefully I will make a late push for promotion. I'm still yet to find a consitent striker.

Keeping the Fafe

Liga Sagres 2020/21

Mid-Season Review

Pre-Season

The Preseason for 2020 saw us in the qualifying stages for the Euro Cup, coming in at the 2nd Qualifying round we faced Gyor (HUN) for the second time in our history, and again walked away with the victory, 3:0 on aggregate. Next up we faced Fehervar also of Hungary, this one was expected to be a little tougher, but Fafe managed to score another victory, 6:2 on aggregate. In the 4th and final qualifying round we faced FC Sochaux-Montbeliard, the bookies put us as an outside chance, but it as very close. Leg one at home saw us take it out 2:1, but then we headed to France knowing they had an away goal, in the end Mendes & Radakovic both scored to make sure we got through 4:3 on aggregate. This took us into the Group stages, but before that we faced Liverpool in a friendly. A nice tight game was really only won by them in the later stages as Torres stepped past Mendes to score.

League Early Stages

In the league early on I had been hoping for an improvement on last season, in particular I was hoping to make it into the top four where we had been a season earlier. Early form was a worry even after a great start. That start was disappointing in reality as we managed to take victories at home, but away we couldn't even steal a point.

Fafe 2:0 Boavista - Shala (2)

Sporting 2:0 Fafe

Fafe 2:1 Nacional - Mendes (2)

Braga 2:1 Fafe - Di Giuseppe

Fafe 1:0 Leixoes - Mendes

Maritimo 1:0 Fafe

Benfica 4:1 Fafe - Rocha

So with a disappointing 9 points from my first 7 games I was disappointed with that start, but knowing that I had already player Maritimo, Benfica, Sporting & Braga Away meant I was actually in a better position than it looked.

Goal of the Month in August saw Tom Shala come third. October then saw seventeen players line-up for international sides as we attempted to take over the world. And a delight from our Youth side as Rocha got the goal of the month in his very first game. We also saw Di Giuseppe come runner-up in a huge Player of the Month.

European Cup Group Stage

Early on I was hopeful that I could actually take out second in this group and advance. Lining up against Kobenhavn, Basel & St. Mirren, I should easily wrap up 3rd, so the battle would be with Basel to see if I could grab second.

Kobenhavn 4:1 Fafe - Tarasenko

Fafe 1:3 Basel - Radakovic

St. Mirren 2:2 Fafe - Mendes, Radakovic

Fafe 1:2 Kobenhavn - Tarasenko

Basel 1:0 Fafe

Fafe 2:0 St. Mirren - Radakovic

With only 4 points in the entire group I was disappointed, but I had lived up to expectations to make the group stage and no further, in the lead in to January I am planning on selling players to try and make some money so i can bolster the squad. I must say I did well against St. Mirren, but the other teams should've been closer.

The European Travel Log

June 2017 - Marijampole, Lithuania

July 2017 - Gyor, Hungary

July 2017 - Cork, Ireland

August 2017 - Milan, Italy

July 2019 - Maribor, Slovenia

August 2019 - Elbasan, Albania

August 2019 - Liege, Belgium

July 2020 - Gyor, Hungary

July 2020 - Szekesfehervar, Hungary

August 2020 - Montbeliard, France

September 2020 - Copenhagen, Denmark

August 2020 - Paisley, Scotland

August 2020 - Basel, Switzerland

League: A Turnaround?

Was it possible to turn around my season in November and December before cracking into the new year? Could AD Fafe make the difference and bring us back into the European Cup Competition? I had decided to try and make it a rebuilding year, so i started by selling several players as I headed towards January, planning to sell more as we continued.

Fafe 2:0 P.Ferreira - Rodriguez, Rocha

Fafe 2:0 Setubal - Shala, Moreira

Rio Ave 2:2 Fafe - Crawford, Moreira

Fafe 1:0 Gil Vicente - Rocha

Belenenses 2:2 Fafe - Mendes, Moreira

Fafe 3:4 Porto - Radakovic (2), Shala

Academico 0:0 Fafe

Guimaraes 3:1 Fafe - Tarasenko

Well a slight improvement on the first quarter of the season, but pretty impossible for us to actually have come back. Our away record is still very poor at 0-3-5, while at home we are 6-0-1, if we are going to come anywhere near the top of the table we need to do something about our away record. Though Des Tiny did finish as runner-up in the Manager of the Month for November. A huge improvement is needed from here to make it home, but rebuilding and hopefully a bit of patience from my board may see me through.

League Table

Hand of God? I am currently chasing Maradona, the name alone drew me in, but he looks stunning.

The Under 19s also had a heartbreaker in the cup, as they lost to Benfica on penalties.

The Players I have Sold

Rodriguez has left for 1.4M.

Sigursson has left for 150k.

Kouakou has left for 170k.

Filis has left for 1.6M.

I think this clear out has got rid of the four players on the fringe that were not playing, but could get me a little income, next question is whether I sell more players. Shala is currently going to leave on a Bosman and is rejecting my contracts, so I expect him to drop out as well.

My season has been very boring so far, been sitting outside the promotion playoffs all season. Currently in Febuary, hopefully I will make a late push for promotion. I'm still yet to find a consitent striker.

I have struggled for 12 seasons to find a consistent striker and really I still haven't found one. But good luck in your push to the playoffs.

I have struggled for 12 seasons to find a consistent striker and really I still haven't found one. But good luck in your push to the playoffs.

Finding a consistent striker really is one of the big challenges here I'd say. Even Rotunno wasn't what I'd call consistent!

Des - enjoyed your mid season review. Maradona :D. Shame your away record is so poor compared to your home record as you'd be flying. The Porto game (3-4) sounded like a cracker!? Or is that a sore subject? Also the travel log is an excellent section :thup:, everyone loves a stamp in the passport...!

Finding a consistent striker really is one of the big challenges here I'd say. Even Rotunno wasn't what I'd call consistent!

Des - enjoyed your mid season review. Maradona :D. Shame your away record is so poor compared to your home record as you'd be flying. The Porto game (3-4) sounded like a cracker!? Or is that a sore subject? Also the travel log is an excellent section :thup:, everyone loves a stamp in the passport...!

Losing 3-4 to Porto was gutting, halftime was 2-2, but shortly after they got 2 in 5 minutes and that was game over, stole one back late, but needed to get at least a draw. I am now in 7th, but 4pts off Maritimo in 6th. I need to pick up some points off the big boys when they come to visit, otherwise this season is pretty much over. Just scored a late 94th minute goal to beat Boavista 2:1. My first away win of the season.

Des, hopefully you can turn that away form around with that Boavista win, and push up the league a little.

a consistent goalscorer is vital in this challenge IMO. i've been lucky to date in that always had at least one striker score 20+ goals a season (first King Rodriguez, then Gorro and now Dixon). can't deny it helps. good luck finding yours.

Sometimes they seem to go quicker, but now that Europe is involved my season is starting in mid June and not finishing til mid-late May. Last year my players played sooo many games it almost killed me. But in the early years it all goes faster, I must say I also liked the 2nd Division set-up, 4 groups of 12, then top 6 from each group go to Promotion playoff and face each other 2 more times. Then the winners of the 4 promotion stages face each other in the promotion semis, winners of which go up. It does make getting out of there harder, but I love Portugal. If I can't crack it in FM09 I will be back in FM10.

Cheers for the heads up. :thup: The Portuguese 2nd Division set up sounds similar to the Turkish one. That was fun but it took me ages (6 seasons iirc) to get promoted...

I'll likely head to either Portugal or Germany sometime soon.

Preseason 2011/2012 FC Mulhouse

Player squad - Transfer History

Busy preseason saw 22 players go out and 17 new ones come in. Quality of the squad have gone up tenfolds in my opinon. Hopefully they don't take to long to "gel".

First eleven

GK - Vincent Briant

Brilliant goalkeeper and my fans thought it was a great bargain. He's got lots of experience in all levels of French football and as all our transfers he came on free after his contract ran out.

DL - Julien Ielsch

Looks steady. My assistant says he's 6 star. Played 25 games for Stade de Reims in Ligue 1 last season so he should be quality.

DR - Bafodé Diakhaby

Came from Paris Saint-Germain Reserves. My kind of fullback, though his passing skill needs some work.

DC - Ismaïla N'Diaye

One of the biggest bargains we got. Great centreback who came from Caen reserves. Can also play DMC and MC which is handy.

DC - Anthony Ouasfane

Came from Toulouse FC who released him. Great defender, brilliant in the air. Should complement N'Diaye very well.

MC - Martial Riff

Great box to box midfielder who prefers running with ball through center and taking long shots. I have high hopes for him. Came from Ligue 2 side Amiens SCF.

MC - Yann Jouffre

Biggest star in my squad according to the assistant, and my fans where thrilled when he came. Joined from FC Lorient Bretagne Sud who where in Ligue 2 aswell.

AMR - Fatih Atik

Not sure if he'll play here or AMC mostly, but he can play 5 different positions in my tactic (including MC and competent AML). He's been in French football his whole career and look quality.

AML - Benoit Leroy

I'm really pleased to get this guy, he's just perfect for the AML role of my tactic. Came from Stade Brestois 29 in Ligue 2.

AMC - Benjamin Psaume

He's the kind of AMC I want, but he's not brilliant. There's 3-4 players fighting for AMC and AMR atm, but this guy will get the chance first. He came from AC Arles in National.

SC - Babacar Gueye

Not sure how good he is, but looks alot better than Vareilles who was my topscorer last year. Came from FC Mets reserves.

Reserves (Just the new ones)

Landry Bonnefoi (GK) - Dijon FC

Francois Bellugou (DM, MC) - Guingamp

Rachid Hamdani (AMC) - Clermont Foot Auvergne 63

Nicolas Maurice-Belay (AMLC) - FC Sochaux Montbeliard

Florent Ghisolfi (MRC) - Sporting Club Bastia

Romain Gasmi (AMRL) - Strasbour Res.

And I also have the whole back-4 from last season, a few of the same midfielders and the striker Vareilles. All in all I'm extremely happy with the squad and even though the first eleven is now 100% new-comers I think we should do well. Every player who arrived have lots of experience in French football and all talk french, so the gel time should not be to big.

Backroom staff

- 10 coaches now and we got 4-6 stars in every training category. Should finally see my players actually improve in training.

- Still have William Prunier as Assistant, but I think I have to let him go in a season or two. His ability to judge players potential annoy me.

- Got one more Physio, so I'm hoping having 2 of them will cut down on the injuries. Not looking like it based on pre-season though.

- 8 scouts traveling all around the world. Well most of it. I still cant look into Australia, Asia and Africa (much). But I can't wait to see what they come up with in the rest of Europe and some of South America :)

Finances

Selling so many players put me into black, but I'm £21k over my wage budget so I'm slightly worried. It migth be just fine though as July so far indicate I'm getting enough tv revenue to more or less break even. I'm not sure how tv revenue is balanced over the season though, but it seems to be evenly spread.

Conclusion

Media predicts we'll finish right above relegation in 17th. That would be good, but I'm hopeful of a mid-table finish if my first-eleven stays fresh and avoid to many injuries.

Cheers.

Hello all. I've spent most of my time so far on 09 on a long-term career game. And it has eventually got too big for my current computer to run at any speed, so I've stopped in 2021 with 6 leagues loaded. I've wandered aimlessly a bit had a go at Gundo's in Russia, got bored, taken over my own team - Norwich and done them proud, and I'm now ready to throw myself totally into a new challenge. So I'm holidaying in Italy and will update you when it finishes.

welcome PRDH - lets see if you can emulate iacovone and match his achievements...

Ohanzee - some really good players there! Once the squad settles you SHOULD do really well in Ligue 2. Really like the look of Riff and Diakhaby.

DodgeeD - looking forward to your arrival. will be good to have you here.

As for me, i'm a few days away from closing of August transfer window. Will post a pre-season round-up when i get a chance.

Hi all,

I've decided that after a while away from the forums and FM to get back into it by doing one of the challenges. I've always enjoyed playing in Italy (mainly I think due to playing as Castel Di Sangro a few seasons ago - alas they went bust and are too low down to play now), so I decided to go for this challenge.

Have to admit that the task of managing Messina was too tempting - touch wood should give me a flying start!

Brucie Bonus

The thing I discovered with Messina, is that due to their earlier fame in Serie A / B, their reputation still has a bit of gravitas - the chairman seems to think so anyway and allowed me the chance to scout anywhere in 'Central Europe', a massive plus.

Star Signing

Over the summer months I set about assembling a half decent squad to take on Serie C2C. However, I think my best signing of the summer was a non-player - my scout Volfango Patarca!!

With him at my disposal, I set him out across Central Europe to unearth some gems for me.

Meanwhile, I got back to looking through the unattached lists and came up with a few handy players, my best buys probably being:

Viviani - Solid centre half who should do ok for me at this level.

Montesin - Wizard on the left wing. Can't believe he's come down to this level, could surely play at a higher division. Must be the lure of Messina!

Overall I pick up a few more freebies at the start of the summer and then when Patarca reported back throughout the summer I made a few selected bargain buys for youngsters. This was particularly crucial as Serie C2 has rules limiting the number of over 21s and over 23s you can have registered in your squad.

Summer 2009 Transfers

I think the best buy of the summer for the long term will be Aitor, Patarca picked him out with less than a week of the transfer window remaining and I wasn't going to hang around for just £9k.

Already in the Spainish U19 team, god knows why he came to Messina, but this guy has potential legend written all over him (frantically touch wood and prays he doesn't become break his cruciates). He's played one game for me - well 30 minutes as a sub and he scored after 4 minutes!! :D

Squad

Squad has a blend of experience and youth.

Results so far

Results so far have been excellent, bar the one annoying slip up in the opening league game - conceded in the 80th and 94th minutes. :mad:

Sailed through the group stages of the Serie C Cup, winning all 4 without conceding. Draw for the next rounds hasn't been made yet but I will keep you informed!

Hopefully this will be the save game to really get me into FM09 again!!

Welcome back to the forums WW, and good luck with Messina. :thup:

Patarca is a brilliant scout. I got someone similar in my Mirandes save although he wasn't a perfect 20/20 :p

Montesin looks brilliant as well, and you got him for free. Aitor certainly looks like he has some great potential. A good start :thup:

Thanks everyone!

Here we go. I found it tough resisting Messina, but thought I'd go for a real minnow. So. . .

Unknown manager Pete Harmer has taken over Domegliara.

"Founded in 1931, Domegliara are a professional Italian club currently playing the Serie C2/C. The club play there home games at Montindon (a 1020 all-seater stadium) and possess average training facilities and an average youth set-up.

With no real competition history of note (in fact none at all), Domegliara are a club with a trophy cabinet waiting to be filled."

I have a transfer budget of £10K, and a wage budget of £6.75K p/w with the club currently spending £681 per week on wages.

The team is based in Domegliara, a frazione of Sant'Ambrogio di Valpolicella, Veneto in Verona (NE Italy). It has a population of roughly 10500 and is North-West of Venice.

WW - I had Patarca as scout too - what a legend :*)

PRDH - Domegliara are back \o/. Such joyous scenes!

Good luck to our latest participants :thup:

Thanks. First order of business is to try and get some back room staff into the club. An assistant would be nice.

Hi guys,

Pleased to see more people taking up the challenge. Personally I am not making much progress due to work and stuff. Keep finding myself assessing my squad during meetings. Hopefully will get some done this weekend.

"Founded in 1931, Domegliara are a professional Italian club currently playing the Serie C2/C. The club play there home games at Montindon (a 1020 all-seater stadium) and possess average training facilities and an average youth set-up.

I must say I wish you the best of luck, Domegliara are my most supported club in Italy and I will back you for life. Wooohoooo.

Have to admit that the task of managing Messina was too tempting - touch wood should give me a flying start!

Brucie Bonus

Hopefully this will be the save game to really get me into FM09 again!!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Good Luck WW.

PRDH - Des is going to love you for picking them!! He had a game with them on FM08.

Hell yes I am :)

PRDH - Domegliara are back \o/. Such joyous scenes!

Joyous scenes outside the clubrooms in Fafe as the boys celebrate a kindred spirit joining the race.

4 games to go in the season, and i'm outside the playoffs on head-to-head results :( Just won my first game in a month and a half though (I drew heaps).

The takeover still hasn't been resolved, first the consortium fell through, then the promotion from within fell through :(

Well. Things are falling into place. I have a packed back room staff. It's a tight knit group. There's me, my assistant, a coach and a physio. We'll be 'bff's in no time. The playing staff has coem together reasonably well. I have enough players to fill a match-day squad - just. And in my first competitive game (a Serie C Cup game against sleeping giants Messina (who I'd so nearly taken over)) an early goal sealed a 1-0 victory for Domegliara.

More details to follow soon. I'm off to the gym.

Archived