Football Manager 2020 coming to Google Stadia

16 hours ago, WilltheWolf92 said:

But that can't be the reason for not improving, the point is to make everything better year after year. Not thinking about people who will not use Stadia. Bit selfish but it's only way to go.

I didn't say they couldn't improve.  They will.  They always do.  But the original post talked about far larger improvements.

And yes, they do need to "think about people who will not use stadia".  They kind of need to keep making money, so removing a portion of your market really isn't a good idea.  

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, forameuss said:

I didn't say they couldn't improve.  They will.  They always do.  But the original post talked about far larger improvements.

And yes, they do need to "think about people who will not use stadia".  They kind of need to keep making money, so removing a portion of your market really isn't a good idea.  

Yes you right, we all pay the same price for the game, true.

Could anyone from SI let us know if it will be possible to continue saves from the Stadia version of FM2020 in the Steam version of FM2020, and vice-versa?

Stadia sounds wonderful to me for FM2020 as I would be able to play it in so many more devices and situations, but I find that I frequently play it in places where I don't have a constant internet connection too (e.g.: in long trips by train or bus). So if this is not possible I'm afraid I'll have to stick with the Steam version only.

On 07/06/2019 at 01:26, Simpo said:

You don't have to subscribe to Stadia to get games, you can just buy games on that system like normal.

This has the potential to be huge, for example for people who don't have a good laptop, load up your save at a mate's house to show them stuff, play a big final round your mates', mess about with your team on your phone/tablet.

And yes, get through seasons as fast as your fingers can manage it.

But mods would be impossible, fake Germany only, that kind of thing.... Fascinating!

So this means we can't see the real logos of the clubs?

Will be a shame about logos really, as I really don't like being without them, but fair price to pay when I can play the game to a higher spec than I'd normally be capable. 

I imagine similar restrictions will apply to other games regarding editor files, mods and suchlike so you'd have to assume Google will work on trying to get it in somehow. 

Great news for people on the fence about buying a Google Stadia.

However FM out the box although amazing, I just could not imagine ever playing the game without the numerous graphics pack which massively enhance the experience.
As well as all the Real Name mods for the competitions and re-adding the German national team.

9 hours ago, Stevicus said:

Will be a shame about logos really, as I really don't like being without them, but fair price to pay when I can play the game to a higher spec than I'd normally be capable. 

I imagine similar restrictions will apply to other games regarding editor files, mods and suchlike so you'd have to assume Google will work on trying to get it in somehow. 

You could play the games at Google Stadia so you'll have probably a better engine and if you could use your save at steam and google stadia, you could swich very easily (but Steam will always be slow and not adaptable so i could be wrong)

9 hours ago, bsmaff said:

However FM out the box although amazing, I just could not imagine ever playing the game without the numerous graphics pack which massively enhance the experience.
As well as all the Real Name mods for the competitions and re-adding the German national team.

I think Miles on twitter a few months back said that they would have licenses for German main league for FM20. Don't know any more details, since Miles is always the skeptical in these kind of released of news.

19 hours ago, bsmaff said:

Yes you absolutely right, i'm looking forward to play on Google Stadia but there should be a way to add updates, packs, ... Can't see myself playing without any real logo. But there's still some time for some solutions i think?  I'll trust the people at SI and FMScout, FMRTE,..

Edited by WilltheWolf92

Think I will hold off and get the Stadia Base thing in 2020 and more than likely get FM21 if reviews are good but the thought of having EVERY league in the world loaded and not waiting 12-15 minutes for a day to process is an incredible thought.

Pardon me if what I'm about to say sounds technically impossible and/or very stupid:

Won't it be a way to install add-ons locally (on our own devices) and those be loaded together with the Stadia stream? Like those browser games that allow you to save graphics locally; the game is loaded via browser on their servers but the graphics are loaded by your local device... I'm thinking about OGame, Travian and so on, they allow it.

Edited by 99

58 minutes ago, armbi said:

I say this now - if there won't be possibility to edit (editor), add any graphics, skins, I don't buy this game first since FM 2005.

Then you just stick with buying the game on Steam, the graphics and skins issue (if there's indeed an issue at all) may only be for Google Stadia versions. 

On 25/07/2019 at 18:47, Stevicus said:

Then you just stick with buying the game on Steam, the graphics and skins issue (if there's indeed an issue at all) may only be for Google Stadia versions. 

Should it be possible to have your save at Steam and Stadia? So you can switch when you want to see a match or just after the season to simulate? In that way you could use the graphic packs 

hace 4 minutos, WilltheWolf92 dijo:

Should it be possible to have your save at Steam and Stadia? So you can switch when you want to see a match or just after the season to simulate? In that way you could use the graphic packs 

The games you buy on Stadia are yours to play. From day one we’ll support Takeout, so that you can download your game metadata, including saves if you want to.

Maybe. If we can download saves, we might be able to add them too.

Or not.

If anyone is interested, the Product Director for Stadia did an AMA on Reddit recently. He specifically said mod support will not be available at launch (November), however they are working with developers to try to see if it can be done sometime in the future. So basically, no facepacks, logos, skins etc. at launch.

Source

So you have to buy the game twice if you want it on Steam and Stadia? Can't wait for the release, this should be a big step for this game. Lot of friends don't play it cause they find the Engine looks so important.

22 hours ago, BadAss88 said:

Did I miss something? What's Google Stadia? And why is it great news that FM20 is on it?

It's basically playing the game on internet, so you don't need to have a big computer to play fast on it with a large database (correct me if i'm wrong, i don't know a lot either of what the big improvements will be, we will see when SI brings news in September or October)

On 18/07/2019 at 16:47, WilltheWolf92 said:

But that can't be the reason for not improving, the point is to make everything better year after year. Not thinking about people who will not use Stadia. Bit selfish but it's only way to go.

Alas it's not the way to go. FM isn't some GPU intensive AAA FPS, it's practically a glossy, if CPU intensive, spreadsheet for the most part.

There are thousands of people who probably enjoy FM because it runs on a laptop, I dare say even a fair few work laptops.

I've got a high end rig, an Xbox One X, a redundant PS4 and a Surface Book 2.... FM get's more use on SB2 than the desktop because it's the kind of thing I can do while the little one needs watching, or I'm travelling, or away, or just sat in bed of a morning.

Pretty certain SI are not going to alienate the raft of people who use laptops for FM by scaling it for high end cloud gaming that's effectively console gaming. Heck, this forum alone is riddled with people discussing new PC requirements and most of them seem to be buying a laptop.

How would it be beautiful if only you could organize official tournaments on Stadia,with the same matches timing as the real life (one official match during weekend,plus euro and national cups during the week..)! You could let people with few time to organize them selves and taste the Match as an important event to wait and prepare for... It was the biggest fault in the old FM Live in my opinion..

Wouldn't  you create something official like this?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm no expert, but I can't see Stadia allowing users to apply copyright-infringing mods...

Also, how could those extra files work if I'm streaming the game from their servers? "My" copy of FM, residing on my hard drive can go find the graphical and editor add-ons on my local drive and load them.
But if I'm basically playing in remote and my local device is a glorified terminal, how is it gonna work? It can't add the logos "in post-production" locally, because the data I'm getting is already the finished product, so to speak.

8 ore fa, michaelghamilton ha scritto:

Is Google Stadia a subscription base platform or free like Steam?

AFAIK there are three options:

* Free, with graphics settings capped at 720p
* 9.99 p/m, without graphics settings limitations
* Founder Edition, same as 9.99, but for $129 it comes with a Chromecast, a limited-edition gamepad, 3 free months and a free trial for a friend

The catch is that you'll still have to pay for the games, full price according to some rumours, or at least at a price set by the distributor. Meaning effectively you'll likely pay five tenners (give or take one) for a game that you may or may not be able to play, decently if at all, depending on your internet speed.
And clearly if you're offline or on a mobile device, you're boned.

And I used to think Steam was bad :D

P.S. It's not a dig at SI/SEGA, actually Stadia has (had?) a lot of potential and promise. And FM is THE ideal game for such a platform. I just think we're not ready yet... (and, again, no logos/facepacks/shirts, no Stadia).

Edited by RBKalle

11 hours ago, RBKalle said:

P.S. It's not a dig at SI/SEGA, actually Stadia has (had?) a lot of potential and promise. And FM is THE ideal game for such a platform. I just think we're not ready yet... (and, again, no logos/facepacks/shirts, no Stadia).

Has it been confirmed no logos/facepacks?

2 ore fa, headshothitman ha scritto:

Has it been confirmed no logos/facepacks?

So far, no mods support whatsoever on Stadia.

And even in the case they'll be allowed, I don't think they'll allow users to use stuff that "fixes" unlicensed stuff. Also, there's the huge "how could mods work anyway" question, considering you're basically streaming the game played on a remote computer.

I wonder how Stadia will handle storage per user. How many save games can I have at any time? ... How will I be able to import/export various views and lists in the game etc.? .. if I don't have local storage, then where is it saved?

Also the fact that I can't mod the game is a big no no for me.

I was considering Stadia as a "side-system" at home. To compliment my PC-gaming. It could be for strategy games or FM games, where I need lots of power, but lag is less of an issue. Also so I could play it on any device would be nice.

I think I will be waiting until 2020 and see how the system works and what kind of modding can be implemented in Stadia.

Think I'll try it subject to decent reviews. 

Don't play FPS so a bit of input lag on FM and Strategy games won't matter. 

My Internet never dips below 50mps so should be fine for 1080p.

My i5 7300hq CPU struggles with processing in long saves, assuming Stadia uses a beefy CPU which FM will hopefully be optimised for the performance upgrade should be good. 

Might save me from buying a new laptop. 

9 horas atrás, Loudleyther disse:

So, if I'm reading this correctly, I can purchase the game via Stadia and I have no need to buy the controller?  

If you want to use stadia this year, you will nedd to buy the full pre-order package,and get access 'til 2020, but in the case you don't wanna,you can wait till 2020 open launch and use stadia base,without the need to buy the controller.

Like, how are you coming to the conclusion that  a platform allowing users to stream the game at higher performances mean that carrying saves over from previous games would be possible? Or why would it mean that greyed out players would cease to exist? 

I mean those players main function is to fill out squads that don't have the numbers to field a full team. I'm just not sure where you're coming from with this, or indeed, going with it 

4 hours ago, psucolonel said:

if the game consumes less resources, then theoretically, you should be able to allow for real players (not greyed out ones) to fill out squads.  They won't be as large of a burden on the system.

What makes you think they'd use different amounts of system resources? It's all just numbers in a database, it'd use exactly the same amount of resources.

On 14/09/2019 at 01:52, JordanMillward_1 said:

What makes you think they'd use different amounts of system resources? It's all just numbers in a database, it'd use exactly the same amount of resources.

To be fair, it's pretty obvious that a "grey" player will be less resource intensive than a fully fledged one.  Otherwise there would be no point in them.  They're placeholders with "just enough" in there to be a functioning player, but probably without the same level of development points, stat gathering, or whatever.  Like a view only league.  They're a league, but not in the same way as a traditional one.

Still though, I doubt there will be differences like that with Stadia.  They'd likely have to be developing a stadia-only option if that were the case.  They use grey players for a reason, so it follows that they're just going to sack that off just so a (probable) minority who play on Stadia can benefit.  It'll just mean the base game is streamed from a system that can theoretically run it faster.  Whether that changes in future, who knows.  Guess it depends how many people use it.

So, I still can't get my head round this all. 

1. I have a VERY average laptop (and even that is praise)

2. I have the internet. I have Chrome installed as my number 1 browser. I have 100Mbps Fibre +

3. I order Stadia. I can play ALL the Stadia games in top spec on my crappy machine? FM on my laptop? I just log on via a browser or put the chromecast in

4. If i'm so inclined I can play destiny etc on the tv using Chromecast stick and the controller?

I want to get this, I don't want to pay 1k on a new laptop just for FM

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, Mark H said:

Hang on. i can buy a Chromebook for like £149 from Argos and play FM super fast with loads of leagues and top GFX?

I do like the sound of this

If you have a fast enough Internet connection, that's what Stadia is all about yes. 

1 hour ago, Mark H said:

So, I still can't get my head round this all. 

1. I have a VERY average laptop (and even that is praise)

2. I have the internet. I have Chrome installed as my number 1 browser. I have 100Mbps Fibre +

3. I order Stadia. I can play ALL the Stadia games in top spec on my crappy machine? FM on my laptop? I just log on via a browser or put the chromecast in

4. If i'm so inclined I can play destiny etc on the tv using Chromecast stick and the controller?

I want to get this, I don't want to pay 1k on a new laptop just for FM

You are basically correct. 

You are dependent on what games are on Stadia and of course no real world reviews exist yet plus you need to buy each game AND pay a monthly subscription. (it's not Netflix for games) 

But if it performs as advertised and you are happy with the range of games they have you might be able to save £1k.

Edited by Mr U Rosler