Football Manager 2020 - Feature Announcement Blogs

My opinion so far... Evolution not revolution (and I don't mean that in a bad way). The match and graphics are slightly smoother and more natural. Probably nowhere near enough to appease those calling for vastly improved graphics, but the player movements and animations are definitely more fluid and natural. 

The pitch texture looks much better though. 

The match engine looks like it's improved a bit too, especially the goalkeepers. However, it is very hard for me to be sure as I'm currently playing FM19 in the NZ 9th tier and they're playing as a Championship team with significantly stronger players than I'm used to. 

Player pathways look very promising though. Players will have to seriously think about their squad management now, rather than hoovering up every wonderkid they can get their hands on. 

Edited by DementedHammer

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watching the new FM20 on twitch feed. It does look good. However, I'd rather it was played and presented by two objectionable grizzled gamers rather than two obsequious studenty sycophants...

...Miles has returned and I literally just heard him threaten one of  them with their job because he didn't like something he said! Wow. Bully. 

Edited by Bothan Spy

Ok, after third match I don't think there will be more changes to match engine, especially to animations. I  accept the thought of another year without dribbles, collision tackles and GKs 1on1 animations. The key words best describing FM 20 are for me - slightly improved DLC.

Been watching the twitch Live feed.

Unhappy with - The start Sheffield Wednesday have made to that season!!!

Happy with - Goalkeepers, evidence of intelligence and some good saves.

Very happy with - The honesty around aspects of the game they still aren't satisfied with, fair play.

Edited by janrzm

8 minutes ago, armbi said:

Ok, after third match I don't think there will be more changes to match engine, especially to animations. I  accept the thought of another year without dribbles, collision tackles and GKs 1on1 animations. The key words best describing FM 20 are for me - slightly improved DLC.

There will be many more changes/tweaks to the ME before the game is released. The build you're watching is weeks old, as was stated at the start of the stream

3 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

In the game he's playing right now, I've seen at least three dribbles. One of the things I've noticed is there appears to be improved 'tussling' for the ball. Also, when crosses come in, there's variety in how the striker reacts, rather than endless first time shots and volleys. Goalkeepers pulling off great saves too. Very impressed so far, although it's only a very small sample. 

I was going to say the same thing, I’ve seen at least 3 dribbles in the game they are in at the moment.

2 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

In the game he's playing right now, I've seen at least three dribbles. One of the things I've noticed is there appears to be improved 'tussling' for the ball. Also, when crosses come in, there's variety in how the striker reacts, rather than endless first time shots and volleys. Goalkeepers pulling off great saves too. Very impressed so far, although it's only a very small sample. 

I can agree as for GK moving - it is really improved. I can also praise lighting - I do like it. But dribbles??? No, no, no, still "ghosting" one player through other player.

18 minutes ago, armbi said:

Of course there be more changes to the ME. Someone has already said to you that this ME they are showing is from a few weeks ago, and Miles said he has another version of it to look at tomorrow.

I have seen some decent dribbles from their left hand side, but if you actually look at their tactic they are using, they have the instruction of dribble less on.

Edited by sedge11

2 minutes ago, sedge11 said:

Of course there be more changes to the ME. Someone has already said to you that this ME they are showing is from a few weeks ago, and Miles said he has another version of it to look at tomorrow.

I'd like to belive that, but I remember last years first ME movies where many said "calm down, it's the very first ME show, final game version will be better". Sadly, never was. Yes, some minor tweaks maybe were implemented, but hey - if I can barely see some animations I can assume it is let's say 90% of what we will see in november. But it's my opinion, if anyone see dribbles out there different to previous ME, that's ok.

RE Stadia. Can't mod the game (possibly on the future) but the Stadia version will include exclusive tech elements improving match processing for example - From Miles on stream. 

Edited by ben carter

I was initially a little bit uncomfortable with the body shape of the new player models but I warmed to them after a few games. Anyone else think they were't quite right? Also, would love to see a more natural looking sprint because it looks odd still to me.

I enjoyed the ME for the most part and is certainly an improvement over the last version, especially with dribbles and decision making. However, the part that makes me worry the most is ... THE STRIKERS. It seemed that they were good at linking play with the midfield in some instances, but nowhere near as good at being the finishers (which should be their primary role). Also, the wingers ignored the strikers a lot and went for individual actions / finishes. If they can sort out the strikers / strikers movement off the ball, it could be a very very good ME.

Quite happy from what I saw tbf. Passing as they're being told was nice. I gotta say crossing looks like an absolute improvement (please don't do the repeat of last year xD), the little slide ins to the box inside from low crosses (like city do reguluarly) was quite nice to see. Some dribbling seemed good but running into others seemed a bit odd but miles did say it's an issue of such so i'll let him off. IF/IW in AML/R seems to be somewhat useful in terms of difference in role/terminology. Be useful to see how other styles work and how it works with defensive areas of the game like set peices or defending mentality. GK were alot better than previous fm's so that's a massive plus. 

Still saw some issues with players crossing over other positions but less so than in 19- could be working perfectly just that they did cause of roles/fustration not getting poessession. Strikers seem to be ishy in that advanced forward role (although the move into channel seems to improved than last year), they get into good positions but from what I saw it was them not doing their "role" but acting like another does. Tackling was ishy still but I do like the variety of them flying in for crunchers or trying to knock them off the ball from aside or behind. 

This is just what I saw so im not being critical or anything but all in all this ME could be useful if they decide to use it. GG SI. 

7 minutes ago, Svenc said:

demonstrate the new data assistant and his masterclass in xG, xA, non-shot-based-xG,

Wait is that a thing?? Im guessing the statistical analysis in game would also been affected so either a better format of showing it or added things as you've said. 

Very early days, but my first impression was stadiums slightly better, crowd more realistic although there seemed to be a lot of empty seats which didnt seem to match attendance, pitch looked better but still not sure about the colour not really the colour of natural grass.  wasn't able to see if there was dynamic lighting and there appeared to be no player shadows in the floodlit game and still bright sunshine with the rain pouring down.  The action was a little too fast to make a judgement on the animations, and the other thing I noticed was that in the training schedule there was no travel segment as there was last year, but as I say early days.

1 minute ago, BigV said:

Wait is that a thing?? Im guessing the statistical analysis in game would also been affected so either a better format of showing it or added things as you've said. 

Was just a bit of a joke -- however, when they were Talking what a Special club Brentford would be in the introduction, I Kind of thought it to make a surprise addition. :D

I'm not sure they would consider doing it, and realistically, they could likely put an exact number on each Chance (the ME is an actual calculation under the Hood after all). It would likely make the game too easy, in particular if the AI couldn't use such Feedback intelligently. Indeed, having a bit of a grasp of what is a decent Chance somewhat more likely to be converted vs. the vice versa always was an edge imo. This was always mainly to be gained from watching as well as playing experience, however.

They may also be cautious of doing it, as it may be misunderstood. After all, in individual Matches of Football, the scoring rates are massively variable.... one week a Team loses to two unlikely wonder strikes and their own forwards putting a dozen balls into the keepers chest. The other they win by a landslide, as every other shot goes in. So if the suggested "expected scoreline" would massively differ from the actual scoreline too often (which would be subjective to boot), then that may be reported as a bug… which it needn't necessarily be. 

21 minutes ago, SebastianRO said:

I enjoyed the ME for the most part and is certainly an improvement over the last version, especially with dribbles and decision making. However, the part that makes me worry the most is ... THE STRIKERS. It seemed that they were good at linking play with the midfield in some instances, but nowhere near as good at being the finishers (which should be their primary role). Also, the wingers ignored the strikers a lot and went for individual actions / finishes. If they can sort out the strikers / strikers movement off the ball, it could be a very very good ME.

They were playing their striker as a Deep Lying Forward, so it makes sense that they'd drop deeper and link up play, because that's what that role entails.

54 minutes ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

They were playing their striker as a Deep Lying Forward, so it makes sense that they'd drop deeper and link up play, because that's what that role entails.

They changed it to AF and did a very similar job and I believe the striker that atually scored goals got a 6.1 and the other was low. Granted it's only 2 games I saw it on (maybe more- cause I was cookin), Honestly I think the role needs a broader outlook on it and what it exactly is (the description is useful but very vague and almost like a role where it's a pressing forward hybrid with a poacher). Even the striker roles in general. Luckily i'm a complete forward type of person but I do want to know how the AF works or at least see it without the "move into channels" role to see a difference. 

1 hour ago, Svenc said:

So far so good! Still, picking Brentford of all this would have been an excellent opportunity to demonstrate the new data assistant and his masterclass in xG, xA, non-shot-based-xG, et all. ;) At least the dreaded CCCs were spared. :D 

I'll love it if this is in. I just hope it is not very shallow, as most analysis in the web. Praying that they don't use Statsbomb as their main source of understanding :D

3 minutes ago, Cadoni said:

Can we watch on demand the livestreaming?

Yes you can: 

That's the On Demand recording of it direct from Twitch, but I imagine they'll have been recording it themselves too, to put on Youtube.

1 minute ago, GOODNAME said:

Yeah but i barely saw new ones

I had expectations for new animations when player dribble.. but its always the same he just runs fast

Last week I spotted the new/old 'Tries tricks' PPM so it's possible that players with that trait might have some new dribbling animations.

4 hours ago, kandersson said:

Last week I spotted the new/old 'Tries tricks' PPM so it's possible that players with that trait might have some new dribbling animations.

Tricks???? Wow! Dribbling animations is what we can barely see, tricks I belive we won't have another 3 game editions.

8 hours ago, Bobby_Zamora said:

I'll love it if this is in. I just hope it is not very shallow, as most analysis in the web. Praying that they don't use Statsbomb as their main source of understanding :D

One of my favourite sites personally. :( Pretty interesting articles on the running seasons too, for instance more recent, their analyzing last Season just how unlikely it was for Dortmund (and Alcacer) to keep scoring at the right they did (and in the 2nd half, they didn't). What do you have against it? (Ted Knutson kicks arse). -> There are like two dozen similar lines within FM's match commentary btw. , randomly assigned to every other shot. :D 

Same old animations 😂

Players only running in straight lines, players shooting/passing with the wrong foot, no fluidity. Goalkeepers have absolutely no IQ once again.

Brick walls in front of player benches...

The fans did look a little bit better and the player models slightly improved, but they were probably the only improvements I saw. 

Overall it looks very poor IMO, just doesn’t seem to have been a big enough upgrade from last year - almost everything looks exactly the same. Should of made this a DLC.

For the first time in about 12 years I won’t be buying this game and that makes me kind of sad.

15 minutes ago, akm.91 said:

For the first time in about 12 years I won’t be buying this game and that makes me kind of sad.

Based on what I've read, I think you need a bit of a break from the game. You seem to have such a negative focus on any revealed feature no matter what. Nothing SI could realistically do would impress you at this point, I'd wager.

I see a lot of positives. New animations, much more fluid gameplay during the matches, goalkeepers that really are at a new level compared to FM19, and a lot of good QoL improvements all over the place. Are there that many new things? Not really, but for me, that is a good thing. Fixing issues and improving upon the current features of FM19 is exactly what I wanted from the game and I can't wait until the game is released!

40 minutes ago, Armistice said:

Personally I wasn't impressed at all. It just feels too much like FM19. Not that it's a bad thing, but after hours of playing FM19 it would feel exhausting to play a very similar game and wanted something more refreshing. As for the ME, I don't necessarily feel it's much improved. Probably had very high and unrealistic expectations, but honestly after all these (underwhelming) feature reveals, it was maybe more understandable to expect a lot.

I feel people will quote me a lot saying how FM20's ME is some weeks old and it will see more changes. They've had one year to make those changes. I really doubt they're going to change much in the next 2-3 weeks.

Also. Kind of pathetic how the moderator was deleting people's negative comments about the game in the Twitch chat. I understand there's a limit between criticism and trolling but most of them were not even close to that limit.

The same moderation rules will apply to twitch as will apply to the forums- criticism in itself will always be welcomes as long as it is constructive.  If it is not, then the outcome will be input from the moderators.

3 minutes ago, XaW said:

Based on what I've read, I think you need a bit of a break from the game. You seem to have such a negative focus on any revealed feature no matter what. Nothing SI could realistically do would impress you at this point, I'd wager.

I see a lot of positives. New animations, much more fluid gameplay during the matches, goalkeepers that really are at a new level compared to FM19, and a lot of good QoL improvements all over the place. Are there that many new things? Not really, but for me, that is a good thing. Fixing issues and improving upon the current features of FM19 is exactly what I wanted from the game and I can't wait until the game is released!

Because they are poor repackaged features! I’m entitled to my opinion. I’ve stated a few times what they could do to improve the game, once again, in my opinion. 

They have not touched international management in about 6 years, and that’s just the tip of the iceberg. 

Also, goalkeepers at a new level? Did you see the goal that went in in their first league game against Birmingham then? 😂

Defenders still let every aerial attempted through ball go past them as they play the mannequin challenge! 

48 minutes ago, Armistice said:

feel people will quote me a lot saying how FM20's ME is some weeks old and it will see more changes. They've had one year to make those changes. I really doubt they're going to change much in the next 2-3 weeks.

There won't be bigger impovements. Not without reason we have seen 3D match so late, there was just nothing significant to show. The same animations, ok more fluid, but pretty much the same we had in FM19. 

I don't want to only cmplain, there actually is little progress every year, but not for full game version every year.

34 minutes ago, akm.91 said:

Because they are poor repackaged features! I’m entitled to my opinion. I’ve stated a few times what they could do to improve the game, once again, in my opinion. 

They have not touched international management in about 6 years, and that’s just the tip of the iceberg. 

Also, goalkeepers at a new level? Did you see the goal that went in in their first league game against Birmingham then? 😂

Defenders still let every aerial attempted through ball go past them as they play the mannequin challenge! 

Sure, your opinion is your own, and feel free to have it any way you want. You can want whatever features you want, but this is what we get. And while you might not see any improvement, I do. And that is my opinion, however misguided you might think it is. That is also why I think you should get a break from the series, find some joy and do something else and perhaps return to the game whenever it fits you and the game is more to your likening.

If you really don't see any difference, play a game of FM19 and compare it to the stream. If you claim those are identical, I'm sorry, but then we as out of sync as possible. I'll leave it at this, and wish you well.

2 hours ago, Armistice said:

I really doubt they're going to change much in the next 2-3 weeks.

This sort of change to the ME is actually possible.  Not saying it's going to happen but I've personally raised issues before during testing and seen marked changes within a couple of days.

So keep an open mind for now and we'll see how things progress over the next few weeks.

52 minutes ago, XaW said:

That is also why I think you should get a break from the series, find some joy and do something else

I'd like to do that, but belive me playing manager since CM03/04 is some kind of serious addiction, maybe not deadful one 😆, but it's about that good vibes when you link many autum evenings with your beloved game.

5 minutes ago, herne79 said:

This sort of change to the ME is actually possible.  Not saying it's going to happen but I've personally raised issues before during testing and seen marked changes within a couple of days.

So keep an open mind for now and we'll see how things progress over the next few weeks.

Sure, I’m going to follow the progress closely but considering the fiasco that followed after we reported the FM19 bugs, I don’t hold my hopes up.

First impression is that I’m leaning more and more towards playing the demo instead of pre-purchasing, then I’ll take a decision if it’s worth investing in FM20 or just stick to FM17/19.

Edited by Armistice

As an ado, maybe I've missed it, but despite the SI lads doing Pretty well with Brentford, I didn't see much of the notoriously "park the bus, the house and the SI Towers in front of our own Goal and Maybe score one off a Corner" AI. MOst Matches, int erms of play, seemed pretty evenly affairs.

On last season's demonstration meanwhile, it seemed even Bayern went a tad conservative (and the SI staff were Managing Leverkusen). :D Final stats such as 20-6 shots away at Dortmund, etc. The same against Bayern. Hard to tell from that angle. Then again, could have been the demonstration power of the counterpress preset. :P Plus they lost both Matches respectively, to a Long shot and a free kick. ;) 

Edited by Svenc