Managers going to watch players they are interested in

I think one unrealistic thing about this game is how managers from other teams are often reported to have been seen at a match to watch one of your players that they are interested in. This doesn't tend to happen in football, unless of course it is an international manager. I recently had West Ham manager Pellegrini seen at the stadium in my midweek Russian league game to watch a player he was interested in. Really? Should he not be with is club in mid week, preparing for the weekend game? It would be better if it said scouts were at the match from a certain club.

Arsene Wenger used to do it all the time

https://www.givemesport.com/836863-arsene-wenger-spotted-watching-transfer-target-riyad-mahrez-against-psg

Midweek games when you don't have a match is the best time to do it. Training is normally done by early afternoon, and you can get to most of Europe from London within 3-4 hours.

Er, not it doesn't happen all the time in real life. Name me the last time that you saw the manager of a Premier League team seen at a stadium in a foreign country to scout a player. 

Now what you might get, is some scouts attending games and then once they decide to give the player a thumbs up, the manager might, on occasion, take one trip to take a look at him themselves. In FM though, you get messages numerous times about a manager being at a stadium to see a player. Can you imagine Guardiola being seen at say, Sevilla games, 3 or 4 times in a row, during the season, to watch a player? It doesn't happen. The fact that one manager used to do it doesn't make it common.

4 hours ago, WojciechZed said:

Er, not it doesn't happen all the time in real life. Name me the last time that you saw the manager of a Premier League team seen at a stadium in a foreign country to scout a player. 

Now what you might get, is some scouts attending games and then once they decide to give the player a thumbs up, the manager might, on occasion, take one trip to take a look at him themselves. In FM though, you get messages numerous times about a manager being at a stadium to see a player. Can you imagine Guardiola being seen at say, Sevilla games, 3 or 4 times in a row, during the season, to watch a player? It doesn't happen. The fact that one manager used to do it doesn't make it common.

You are right in a sense, but IRL it's generally not the managers that have the sole responsibility with the signing of players anymore (at least at the top levels). So you will generally see scouts and then when a club is seriously interested, Technical Directors, DoFs etc will go.

FM however is a world where the manager does have sole control of transfers, so it would make sense that they go and scout the players. 

By the way, in my save, Pellegrini has been seen in Russia at numerous games to watch 34-year old Branislav Ivanovic, a player he has his sights on. Yeah, because he wouldn't know anything about him from his time in England, and has to watch him play in Russia, just to be sure.

On 01/10/2019 at 14:56, WojciechZed said:

By the way, in my save, Pellegrini has been seen in Russia at numerous games to watch 34-year old Branislav Ivanovic, a player he has his sights on. Yeah, because he wouldn't know anything about him from his time in England, and has to watch him play in Russia, just to be sure.

You seem determined to let this ruin your experience of the game.  Allow the game some poetic licence for goodness sake!  Anyway, Ivanovic hasn't played in England for two and a half years I'm sure he's not the same player he was then.