[FM20] [FM19] The Great San Marino Challenge

• Replies 903
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Cuomo10 said:

Confirmed that 1st September is still an issue...

SI updated the editor as well today - so perhaps files have to be created/validated in the new version of the editor and for the latest version of the game.  I was playing around with the FM Revolution L7 database, but couldn't get it to validate (and am nowhere near good enough to make it work) - then I saw the creator said it's not compatible with the database post-hotfix - so I'll wait.  Primarily why I started an Andorran challenge save as F.C. Andorra are playable (although they had no U19's at all - and those I signed aren't registered yet and with a squad of only 25 I'm having problems with injuries that might bust it out).

On 30/11/2020 at 15:16, TheArsenal said:

I started having a look at the San Marino Calcio in Serie C file that Regista put on the workshop. For me, the available pre-season options were pretty short, and players weren't able to join until Sept 1st so I was playing my first few friendlies with 'greyed' out players who weren't properly signed for the club. Given the level of players I was able to agree contracts with, I think Serie C survival would be very difficult - almost think Serie D (or lower) might provide a better position to build from? What are other people's thoughts?

I managed to get my players in on trials when I had signed them. Though this was when I started with them in the middle of July.

2 hours ago, The Regista said:

I managed to get my players in on trials when I had signed them. Though this was when I started with them in the middle of July.

Ditto, will be quite handy. I was having a look through some of the players in the league compared to the players that are interested in joining and its fair to say that the first season has all the makings of a complete struggle

4 minutes ago, Cuomo10 said:

Ditto, will be quite handy. I was having a look through some of the players in the league compared to the players that are interested in joining and its fair to say that the first season has all the makings of a complete struggle

I could get some in on trial, but not others. Will give it another go in Serie C - but agree that survival in the first season could be a real struggle.

So I've set up a database with San Marino Calcio in tier 7 (Prima categoria marche D). The september 1st thing applies but not to all players weirdly. I've managed to sign some instantly and some are joining on the 1st which is strange. The first league game isn't until 26th though so shouldn't be a problem unless it remains season on season. 

Edited by Lewis89

21 minutes ago, Lewis89 said:

So I've set up a database with San Marino Calcio in tier 7 (Prima categoria marche D). The september 1st thing applies but not to all players weirdly. I've managed to sign some instantly and some are joining on the 1st which is strange. The first league game isn't until 26th though so shouldn't be a problem unless it remains season on season. 

Are you in a position to share the database? I'm going to continue to see how I get on in Serie C. If it's a struggle then I might take them from L7

3 minutes ago, Cuomo10 said:

Are you in a position to share the database? I'm going to continue to see how I get on in Serie C. If it's a struggle then I might take them from L7

yeah just sent you it via pm. 

36 minutes ago, Lewis89 said:

So I've set up a database with San Marino Calcio in tier 7 (Prima categoria marche D). The september 1st thing applies but not to all players weirdly. I've managed to sign some instantly and some are joining on the 1st which is strange. The first league game isn't until 26th though so shouldn't be a problem unless its remains season on season. 

This is what I had in Serie C - some could trial ahead of joining permanently, others could not. Just a little annoying as you can't start building up match fitness and squad cohesion. I guess it depends on the rules around trialists in Italy, as Sept 1st was the opening of the transfer window this summer so permanent transfers signing then made some sense.

33 minutes ago, TheArsenal said:

This is what I had in Serie C - some could trial ahead of joining permanently, others could not. Just a little annoying as you can't start building up match fitness and squad cohesion. I guess it depends on the rules around trialists in Italy, as Sept 1st was the opening of the transfer window this summer so permanent transfers signing then made some sense.

Do you know if anyone done a save in Italy with a 'normal' side and can say whether the September thing exists in general? My worry is if football goes back to normal and the season starts in August later in the save, then no signings before then is going to be a major issue.

7 minutes ago, Lewis89 said:

Do you know if anyone done a save in Italy with a 'normal' side and can say whether the September thing exists in general? My worry is if football goes back to normal and the season starts in August later in the save, then no signings before then is going to be a major issue.

I suspect this is SI moving the transfer windows for the first summer only, in line with what happened with the real transfer windows this year. I recall reading something from Miles Jacobson on twitter to say it would revert to normal from season 2.

4 minutes ago, TheArsenal said:

I suspect this is SI moving the transfer windows for the first summer only, in line with what happened with the real transfer windows this year. I recall reading something from Miles Jacobson on twitter to say it would revert to normal from season 2.

Fingers crossed thats the case. 

29 minutes ago, TheArsenal said:

I also read something similar. Suppose it might be worth to holiday a season to check. Not sure if I will have the time to do that today

• 1 month later...

2022/2023 Season

I know there's a new thread, but it feels wrong posting my FM20 stuff in there and getting all of the first achiever status for half of the things because I'm a few seasons ahead.

Finally got back to FM20 after a festive period of filthy console gaming. But WOW what a comeback!

League
First season in the top flight and we've only gone and done a bloody Leicester City!1253944273_Screenshot2021-01-12at13_54_00.thumb.png.07ca588e95817fa906f7777f447e0b53.png

League and cup double! The squad finally gelled together properly this season and became an elite fighting force! In truth, it was entirely down to one man.

Greatest Sammarinian ever

1550832972_Screenshot2021-01-12at02_26_25.png.095f61bb6aa6f769aa3325e2788b1767.png2004899872_Screenshot2021-01-12at02_13_22.thumb.png.5214245b8a6935fd7b46bd226605a45b.png

627172567_Screenshot2021-01-12at02_13_00.thumb.png.d4333f175d5edd4cfe4132542f11ccf9.png

He's already at 29 international goals in 26 games, and 90 goals in 114 club appearances and earned a whopping 90K p/w contract but I NEED to keep this man if I stand any chance in repeating this season or even staying up! 

1172455729_Screenshot2021-01-12at14_05_02.thumb.png.e75c44b8f5d60c86b6d935cf63d66961.png

That said, 5 of my players made it into the Team of the Year. Brescianini was a loan signing I had every season from AC Milan and he had a huge boost in stats this year, becoming the player to set up a lot of assists and goals from long range. The back 4 had a touch of the Wimbledon FC of the 90s about them as they set an unflattering record of becoming the most booked team in Serie A history. We achieved that ignominy with 6 games still to play and got 20 more bookings in those!  Basically we fouled and stalled our way to a lot of 1-0 and 1-1 matches with moments of class from the lone striker.

1820020752_Screenshot2021-01-12at02_14_25.thumb.png.ae36f78de45c1f7ffbe50bb2fcc2f581.png

We also won the Italian Cup for the first time!

734460493_Screenshot2021-01-09at22_03_57.thumb.png.714f6d93a92d467b7bc6fbf5f18a3f8f.png

Great effort in an even match, again we fouled our way to victory. I genuinely don't know how I've produced such an ill disciplined team with my tactics! But it does seem to work, with a lot of suspensions along the way!

Youth Intake

The youth intake was generally bad this season, with one exception - a decent looking centre back from Bulgaria called Mitko Todorov. He's a little slow, but his Marking and Tackling stats are insane for a 16 year old. I don't think he's going to be Macina levels, but probably first team for as long as I can keep him, his key stats are already better than a few of my senior players. One to keep an eye on. The major disappointment being he's not Sammarinese and the entire rest of the intake from the home nation was woeful. Going to be a tricky international campaign without reinforcements soon! 1496088445_Screenshot2021-01-09at22_47_52.thumb.png.93790de3d46cb27ed0ddc40ce100f8f1.png

International side
The San Marino NT have done very well! Mostly due to Macina outscoring the goals let in the other end! This is the side:2071363684_Screenshot2021-01-12at13_45_40.thumb.png.b3d19b07aaac5a5717d8732878b34005.png

As you can see the attacking side of the squad is doing well, midfield is bad, with the defense growing both Bologna and Molinari are former San Marino Calcio players, but I lost both of them to high bids from elsewhere. Molinari was especially painful, but Liverpool put £17m on the table and the board stepped in. I used the money to buy a young Argentine goalkeeper who is one for the future for £4.5m and he is already out performing Molinari in terms of some stats, but he has a long way to go.

The upshot of this improved NT is that we won Division C! In truth it was an easy group and we drew both matches with Northern Ireland who were easily the biggest threat, then got lucky when they lost to Armenia out of the blue! Still I'll take it!

We've moved to 157th in the world, nearly past the 150 mark. Maybe next season!

2130998272_Screenshot2021-01-12at13_36_52.thumb.png.99158b5f1b0ebf2e450bef453b02e5a3.png

Achievements:
Get promoted from Nations League C
Avoid relegation in Serie A in your first season in this division
Have a Cattolica S.M./San Marino Calcio youth product score 20+ goals in Serie A
Have a Cattolica S.M./San Marino Calcio youth product win player of the year in Serie A
Qualify for Europe
Win the Coppa Italia
Win Serie 
A

Edited by Surd

2043/44 Season - FM19

As I couldn't get into any of the multiple FM21 San Marino Challenge saves I tried (5 or 6 of them - kept running into bugs), I ended up coming back to FM19 and this save.  I think this is the end for it though as I've had a few crashes.

National Team

Winning the World Cup 2 years ago was hard work - but the 2044 Euros were rather easy, in fact.  We started slowly - only beating Georgia 1-0 and needing an 87th minute equaliser against Italy - but then came alive with a 3-0 win against Greece to top the group.  Ireland were next up - and it was a regulation 2-0 win.  Portugal were slightly tougher - but we won 1-0 and really should have won by more.  By this point, the boys were tired and I had to rotate a few for the semi - which was a game with little action and ended up going to pens - with the best keeper in the world Michael Bronzetti doing the business once again with 2 more saves and we scored all 4 of our pens.  It was a first choice XI for the final against Romania - and it was dead easy.  17 year-old midfielder Davide Ugolini became the youngest scorer ever in the tournament with a neat header from a corner - and then we doubled our lead with an FM19 classic keeper OG - a shot hit the post, then the keeper and went in.  Giacomo Fabbri - now an elite player - wrapped things up in injury time with a gift from a corner as their keeper dropped the ball at his feet.  Clearly, we were helped by the big teams falling and therefore having an easy run.  But also I guess because of that, we're only 10th in the world, despite being reigning World Cup, Nations League and Euro champs!  6 clean sheets from Bronzetti was a new tournament record - he's simply outstanding!  I will miss both he and Fabbri - as they are both still young.

952913230_SanMarinoEuro2044Win.jpg.d80eec725307af49a44c98bc9fc38729.jpg

1739628785_2044EuroResults.jpg.48f7490087827f50ea72884573419e8a.jpg

We were also in the Olympics for the first time with an U23 team.  We drew against Australia and South Africa - and with Brazil next up, I thought that was it - but we beat them 3-1 to win the group!  However, we lost 2-0 to France in the QF - with a very tired team (18 man squad and games very close together)!

San Marino Calcio

All very, very easy - winning the league by 16 points - and also winning the Champions League and Italian Cup.  Fabbri won the best player award for Europe - and he deserved it - he took a big step forward this season and was outstanding.  Davide Mancini - a dual national who made the mistake of picking Italy (and has only been capped 17 times) won Serie A player of the year - he'll have to make do with that award in his trophy cabinet at home rather than World Cup and European Champ winners medals!

1589452738_ManciniPOY.jpg.8ac91f2924833a19ad5434585c2e2e82.jpg

548435425_FabbriPOY.jpg.c8c2e0ec3e88d32e4e88a9fb58d4cfb6.jpg

Youth Intake

The intake was complete garbage - I might have been more inclined to try to move forward with a 100% Sammarinese policy, but it would take forever with just the odd player coming through - not even the Italian prospects were any good - which given our top facilities, excellent HOYD, is a complete mystery. I understand the Sammarinese players being mostly poor, but that's life!

San Giovanni

We won the league - but as we made the semis of the Europa League, we had a horrible fixture list and Faetano beat us in the cup semi.  In a step backwards, we finished 3rd in our CL group and thus went to the knockouts of the Europa League.  We lost 2-1 away to Southampton in the first leg of the semi - and I thought we had a chance with the away goal - but the 2nd leg finished 0-0 and we didn't look like scoring.  Elsewhere in San Marino, Faetano made it through to the knockouts of the Europa League, the first time that's happened to an AI managed team in the save.

• 4 weeks later...

@duesouth

Late starter to this challenge but going well so far! 

In 2019 I beat Kazakhstan home and away in Euro Qualifying.  

Currently won all 2020 games (Friendlies and Euro Nations League) while scoring a hatful! Matteo Vitaioli becoming the new record goalscorer after bagging 4 against Malta!

Won Serie D Group D with CC San Marino at a canter and currently battled my way to 2nd in Serie C/B with 24 points after 11 games (7 wins, 3 draws and 1 defeat). 

D285B77B-AD0D-4689-8502-D8FA5264938D.jpeg

D3507297-F0AB-428B-AFF3-472026D923FD.jpeg

AF1A3AE7-5CFE-478A-92E6-F62CE842B9DE.jpeg

923AEF1A-3293-45F1-93CC-B57660C9A872.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Small update:

Firstly the World Cup draw has been made - France, Chile and DR Congo. Not the easiest but we should be winning that group with ease.

Secondly, on to Nacional. We've just beaten Boca 2-1 in a friendly but I've just lost my two star newgens to European sides. I am considering my position as I'm unsure as to whether this is worth my time now. There are some newgens of decent quality but none of the quality of those we've just sold. There aren't any jobs right now that are worth applying for and my contract runs out at the end of this season. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've decided to jump on this challenge and give it ago. So I've downloaded the 7th tier Italian league database, reinstated SMC into the 7th tier and made them amateur and started as SMC and SM manager with zero badges and experience. 

Before I progress too far into this save, has anyone here had any issues with this database? 

• 4 weeks later...

Started this on FM21 managing La Fiorita in the Sammarinese League and San Marino the nation.

First season we narrowly topped the table, and followed that up with winning the league championship (interesting new format for this season...) so we were league champions in every sense of the word. We also won the Coppa Titano to complete the domestic double.

My first game was against St. Joseph’s (GIB) in the Europa Preliminary qualifier which sadly we lost 2-0.

Second season we started with Champions League qualifying, overcoming Prishtina 3-2 in the 1st Preliminary Round and KÍ on penalties in the 2nd Preliminary. We faced Fehérvár in the 1st Proper qualifying round and lost 2-0 in both legs for a 4-0 aggregate loss. We dropped to the Europa Conference League qualifiers and annoyingly drew the highest seeded team in it, losing 9-1 on aggregate to Dinamo Zagreb.

I’m going strong domestically, having won the Supercoppa and with no blemishes on our 100% record after 8 games.

I think to start progressing properly I need the club to become fully professional so I can actually get players tied into contracts, as they’re all non-contract pay-to-play deals at the moment and anyone half decent gets snapped up by teams in the Italian Serie D. My first youth intake was dreadful (nobody above 3* potential, even compared to these players...) but I have invested the CL qualification money in new Training and Youth facilities and Junior coaching already.

On the international front, we managed a 0-0 draw in Gibraltar in our first outing, followed up by a 2-2 friendly draw with Somalia. We lost both games to Liechtenstein in the Nations League but drew our 2nd game with Gibraltar 0-0 as well. Our first win came in a friendly against Sri Lanka with a resounding 5-1.

World Cup qualifiers are obviously a real step up in class so 2021 has been far worse on the international front, losing all but one match; a 2-2 home draw against Belarus on matchday 9.

There’s a couple of semi-decent newgens at Italian clubs but nobody shining too brightly.

I’m not one for in-depth updates but will probably post a season review at the end of each year!

23 hours ago, TheWednesday said:

Which league file is everyone using? Want to jump in on the challenge but with the best file possible :)

FM20 you can use the file in the OP - but put the database version back to 20.1 when you start the game.  There's a separate thread for FM21, which might be buried a bit - some files are in there.

1 minute ago, duesouth said:

FM20 you can use the file in the OP - but put the database version back to 20.1 when you start the game.  There's a separate thread for FM21, which might be buried a bit - some files are in there.

Nice one thanks bud. 

• 2 months later...

I couldn't find the FM21 Challenge thread - but promising real world news about a Sammarinese club returning to the Italian league structure following the demise of San Marino Calcio 2 years ago from the FM Italian co-head researcher, who was a San Marino Calcio fan:

"It's not official yet, but there's a concrete possibility to see a San Marino-based team back in Italian tiers, at level 5. Details have to come out yet, but seems you're right, with a direct link with FA and so probably more Sammarinese players both in first team and in an eventual youth intake.

Anyway, I can say it's not a "new" San Marino Calcio, but a totally different club."

Hopefully this happens and will mean we don't have to artificially bring San Marino Calcio back from the dead in the editor and it will make it feel miles better from an immersion standpoint.

13 hours ago, duesouth said:

I couldn't find the FM21 Challenge thread - but promising real world news about a Sammarinese club returning to the Italian league structure following the demise of San Marino Calcio 2 years ago from the FM Italian co-head researcher, who was a San Marino Calcio fan:

"It's not official yet, but there's a concrete possibility to see a San Marino-based team back in Italian tiers, at level 5. Details have to come out yet, but seems you're right, with a direct link with FA and so probably more Sammarinese players both in first team and in an eventual youth intake.

Anyway, I can say it's not a "new" San Marino Calcio, but a totally different club."

Hopefully this happens and will mean we don't have to artificially bring San Marino Calcio back from the dead in the editor and it will make it feel miles better from an immersion standpoint.

Hopefully this happens, as the immersion thing has stopped me attempting the challenge this year. My best saves have been with San Marino - completed it a few years ago, and a failed challenge saw me have a player with over 1000 apps.

Fingers crossed!

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is a little out of the blue but I've been having so much fun with an amazing Sammarinese regen on my FM20 San Marino save - I wanted to create a post I could find in the future to remember him by. Nicola Simoncini - best striker I've had on FM20 on any save. He's well on his way to 500+ career goals. 

127960424_Screenshot2021-07-02at17_20_47.thumb.png.3ffd4f1d58c9d4dcfa148c7efff94a34.png

2 hours ago, TheJonsterMonster said:

I know this is a little out of the blue but I've been having so much fun with an amazing Sammarinese regen on my FM20 San Marino save - I wanted to create a post I could find in the future to remember him by. Nicola Simoncini - best striker I've had on FM20 on any save. He's well on his way to 500+ career goals.

Well worth doing and delighted that you've had so much fun with the Challenge.  I read through my FM19 save a month or so ago and great to read all the ups and downs of the save - as well as a few names I'd forgotten!  I have a feeling I might remember the name Michael Bronzetti for a very long time though.  He was a new gen who turned into a world class keeper who saved the first 3 pens vs France in my World Cup Final win!  I was more nervous for that than I will be on Sunday for the Euros final... just!

The odd thing is I've not had consistent Sammarinese wonderkids coming through - Simoncini came through in 2026 when we were establishing ourselves in Serie A. Despite the club side dominating Europe, there's been hardly anyone apart from a goalkeeper who we sold for £30m. The facilities have been fully upgraded since he came through too. (Anecdotally, I have enjoyed the random nationalities that have popped up - we had an Indian Super League side as an affiliate for a few seasons - cue two Indians and a Bangladeshi coming through the academy.)

Was also surprised Simoncini didn't have Italian second nationality - couldn't believe we had a five star potential with only Sammarinese nationality. I'd lost a couple of decent players before him to the Italian side (including one who has just won the World Cup with Italy). 

I've found an earlier version of the save with Simoncini at 19 - if only I'd known what he would go on to achieve...  

1703263719_Screenshot2021-07-09at21_36_41.thumb.png.67998403fb328e35bd880bcbc532fec3.png

Another reason I posted was because I've just started a Building A Nation save - starting out as Cailungo. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update on my Cailungo save - we've mastered the art of qualifying for the Champions League group stage. The draws we've had have been absolutely horrific, though. 

22/23 - Man Utd, Dortmund, Valencia

23/24 - Barcelona, PSG, Celtic

Draw that's just happened: 24/25 - Barcelona, Chelsea, Porto

We've managed one goal so far in 12 group games. I was slightly optimistic we could nab something from Celtic but they comfortably dispatched us. I have no idea which team to target this time round. How Porto are seeded third is a mystery. 

This save is a lot of fun, though. We're no longer automatically in the preliminary qualifying round, there are four teams qualifying for Europe every season, and domestically we're unbeaten. Struggling with the youth side - not had any decent prospects at all so far. Trying to find two players to start in the league is proving to be more difficult with the side levelling up each year. 

EK 2028 Italy 

1017753665_ScreenShot2021-07-28at02_23_14.png.63d9903095949a353ed7c56221485b17.png

image.png.57990bd12b9fe15dac2885d3dc1f4f26.png

image.png.62a25ac927b8953e72a0c646985b01ce.png

image.png.8836a15452678800ec707cd781799d7e.png

image.png.ee68061136aa057a6326cc6ebc521e47.png

my hero in this save 

EDIT: btw Matteo Giovagnoli who scored the winner against Poland is only 15 years old and youngest goalscorer at the EUROS

Edited by oblomov

On 09/07/2021 at 22:40, TheJonsterMonster said:

The odd thing is I've not had consistent Sammarinese wonderkids coming through - Simoncini came through in 2026 when we were establishing ourselves in Serie A. Despite the club side dominating Europe, there's been hardly anyone apart from a goalkeeper who we sold for £30m. The facilities have been fully upgraded since he came through too. (Anecdotally, I have enjoyed the random nationalities that have popped up - we had an Indian Super League side as an affiliate for a few seasons - cue two Indians and a Bangladeshi coming through the academy.)

Was also surprised Simoncini didn't have Italian second nationality - couldn't believe we had a five star potential with only Sammarinese nationality. I'd lost a couple of decent players before him to the Italian side (including one who has just won the World Cup with Italy). 

I've found an earlier version of the save with Simoncini at 19 - if only I'd known what he would go on to achieve...  

Another reason I posted was because I've just started a Building A Nation save - starting out as Cailungo. 

Wonderkids that came through the academy (since we play Serie A).  

not yet designated as "wonderkid" but expected to be 

284007672_ScreenShot2021-07-29at14_25_32.png.a0fe7e6c7774b21a967daf949976656c.png

727617728_ScreenShot2021-07-29at14_23_54.png.4463d2a2e1044b20d2b4e90f0bcc352c.png

627326822_ScreenShot2021-07-29at14_25_10.png.dca88e36d1182354dc50579aee5008ab.png

1673470550_ScreenShot2021-07-29at14_24_49.png.a807cefc72f017c9251a3d3b0345d20c.png

he was a wonderkid but decided from the beginning that he wanted to play for Italy 

1865758325_ScreenShot2021-07-29at14_24_19.png.9143a4260d17de1f364805ce22d3c81e.png

image.png.42c804a2fffc439a92d5f8bb82ddefe6.png

and ofc Mancini

Decided to fire up this challenge last night, so far going good.  At the start of November I'm unbeaten in the league, sitting 2nd place.  The National team has performed really well too,  spanked 4-0 and 5-0 by Belgium and Russia respectively but survived the onslaught of Kazakhstan and Cyprus and managed to beat both 1-0.

• 2 weeks later...
  • duesouth changed the title to [FM20] [FM19] The Great San Marino Challenge
  • 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, 6499red said:

Hey @duesouth

just getting going on a san marino challenge on fm21 with the new club a.s.d.v. San marino (edited in club, kits etc)

Should I start a new thread or post here? (Could be for fm21 / 22 - new era for San marino)

A new thread might be best as we'll have different instructions to play - as long as you are happy to do the achievements etc.  If you can put your save on steam or here so people can use it, that would be magic!

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/07/2021 at 18:16, TheJonsterMonster said:

Just a quick update on my Cailungo save - we've mastered the art of qualifying for the Champions League group stage. The draws we've had have been absolutely horrific, though. 

22/23 - Man Utd, Dortmund, Valencia

23/24 - Barcelona, PSG, Celtic

Draw that's just happened: 24/25 - Barcelona, Chelsea, Porto

We've managed one goal so far in 12 group games. I was slightly optimistic we could nab something from Celtic but they comfortably dispatched us. I have no idea which team to target this time round. How Porto are seeded third is a mystery. 

This save is a lot of fun, though. We're no longer automatically in the preliminary qualifying round, there are four teams qualifying for Europe every season, and domestically we're unbeaten. Struggling with the youth side - not had any decent prospects at all so far. Trying to find two players to start in the league is proving to be more difficult with the side levelling up each year. 

Can't believe the Cailungo save started that long ago - it's now 2035 in game. We're Champions League knock-out regulars. Our best run was to the semi finals in both 27/28 and 28/29. We're comfortably one of the richest clubs in the world - finances need never be an issue again. (Wage budget is £2m p/w and we spend about 10% of it, for instance.)

What I have noticed is that due to the league's reputation, it's so difficult to keep hold of anyone. I tried signing experienced players on a free but they soon became unhappy (and demanded massive wages) so I'm back to my usual gameplan of scouring the world for potential wonderkids and selling them on for a profit. It began causing problems with finding players to meet the CL criteria. It's finally starting to shift - some stars we have (young South American wonderkids) have half-heartedly stayed this summer. 

My other gripe is the lack of youth prospects coming through. I know San Marino (the nation) doesn't have the best settings to allow this, which is why doing it through Italy stands a better chance of producing future stars. My best player to have come through is Francesco Carbone. He broke my heart when he wanted to leave and joined Marseille in 2031. However, we spent £8m on him this summer to bring him back and it's been great to see him doing his thing in a Cailungo shirt once again. 

The coefficients for the Champions League are a weird and wonderful thing too - despite being ranked 12th in Europe based on coefficients, due to the lack of strength of the league we still have to qualify through the early qualifying rounds. I think we had a couple of seasons where we didn't. 

The league is currently ranked 36th in Europe. Hopefully we'll keep plugging away and improve, I'd like some competition in the league. I'm also hoping we can reach the CL QFs on a regular basis at the very least. Only done it once since losing to Real Madrid in 2029.  

It's a long grind but hopefully the foundations are in place to win a Champions League with Cailungo and lead the national side (I haven't tried managing them yet, I was going to try and apply naturally) to glory. 

Screenshot 2021-09-17 at 17.35.15.png

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it happened. 30th May 2037. Cailungo have won the Champions League. It will be the end of the save for me - I never had a chance to manage the national side - but this has been an obsession for several weeks and I want a little bit of life back. I just wanted to put up a tribute to a team that has brought an unbelievable amount of fun and I will certainly miss them. 

The turning point for me was actually starting to use the wage budget and transfer budget while refusing to let my best players leave. I bought two wingers - Viveros and Leonardo - and they transformed the team. Switching to 4-2-3-1 also paid dividends too. 

I've included the tactic screenshot as well as the run to the final for the CL. The semi-final win against Real Madrid was amazing. They'd been the dominant side in Europe, winning 5 of the last 8 Champions League finals and to win 2-1 away and follow that up with a 3-0 win was sensational.

Some of these players will go down as FM legends for me. Francesco Carbone - the youth player who came back - is one standout. That front four of Viveros, Ruchetta, Buzorgi, and Leonardo would be comparable to the best '3-1' in Europe and the '4-2' behind them weren't bad either. Viveros scored 19 goals in the CL campaign - I'm not normally a fan of playing wingers but he's made me reconsider it. The number of goals he scored thanks to Leonardo whipping them in from the right was mental.  

Sebastian Laciar was a player I tried to sell in the summer. He wanted to play for a bigger club. Couldn't negotiate a reasonable fee for him. I even left him out of my league squad for the first half of the season. However, he changed his mind in January, agreed to stay, and it was fitting he scored the final goal. A direct free kick. Calmed all the nerves and knocked the stuffing out of Liverpool. 

A wonderful ride. I will definitely look to resurrect this in a future FM.

And much thanks to this thread. Without it, I would never have attempted this save.

Screenshot 2021-09-26 at 17.53.27.png

Screenshot 2021-09-26 at 18.02.28.png

Screenshot 2021-09-26 at 18.03.50.png