Manager reputation in a journeyman

So I am going to start a Eastern European journeyman save with the aim being to bring the European cup back east after a long absence. 

My question is what's the best way to increase your star reputation in order to progress to better jobs? Is it just a case of over performing at a club so if we were predicted to come 9th and we came 4th we would get a increase? Or do you have to win trophies? 

Thanks 

Simply overachieving is enough to improve, but winning things help more (depending on the level, of course). Also coaching badges seems to help out quite a bit as well.

Cheers. Going to start out at a average team from Eastern Europe then hope to get a job that allows me to win the champions league. Guessing one of the Moscow clubs, St. Petersburg, Kiev are the best realistic chances to do it. Even then it would be incredibly hard 

I think it's quite easy to get big jobs, Loki is doing a journeyman on Youtube at the moment and after getting relegated from the Finnish top division and failing to get promoted he moved to Sakhalin where he overachieved but still failed to gain promotion and still had no honours on his CV. Left at the end of his contract and CSKA Moscow gave him a job!

Aye I seen that last night! Incredible! I'm just starting out now as Wisla Krakow, they have a ok squad and are only predicted to come 10th. So hopefully I can aim for around 6th first season then Europe the 2nd before moving on

20 hours ago, Carlf788 said:

Cheers. Going to start out at a average team from Eastern Europe then hope to get a job that allows me to win the champions league. Guessing one of the Moscow clubs, St. Petersburg, Kiev are the best realistic chances to do it. Even then it would be incredibly hard 

It might not be as hard as you think to get one of those jobs.  I started off at Grasshoppers and got them promoted back to the Swiss top flight in my first season.  I set my background to tie in with the level they started at.  So i'm an ex pro I think.  But I found the Swiss league a bit boring as there are 10 teams in the Divisions and you play teams 4 times.  So I decided to resign (with the promotion under my belt).  After that I thought i'd just spend a bit of time applying for jobs.  Most of the teams that were interested in me were lower league English teams.  So I just ignored those to try and get a better job.  Then totally out of the blue the Lokomotiv Moscow job came up.  So I applied, even though I didn't have the experience they were looking for, and I landed it.  Not sure how I got that as the players don't respect me too much due to my low reputation.  But I've managed to gel them into a good team and we're winning most weeks.  So I think you could be closer than you realise.  I get the impression that some teams are just more likely to take a chance on you.  Lokomotiv being one.

Winning the Champions League could be the tricky bit ;)

On 05/01/2020 at 14:40, Carlf788 said:

So I am going to start a Eastern European journeyman save with the aim being to bring the European cup back east after a long absence. 

My question is what's the best way to increase your star reputation in order to progress to better jobs? Is it just a case of over performing at a club so if we were predicted to come 9th and we came 4th we would get a increase? Or do you have to win trophies? 

Thanks 

id recommend starting unemployed and working your way up if your doing a journeyman save.

Starting at a big team could be problematic if you start with low reputation and no coaching badges.

If you have to start with a big team id make your manager the recommended rep and have a pro licence to stop the sqaud whinging when you take over.

Its super satisfying to start out in the Finnish lower league (for example) then 8 years later managing Sevilla

В 05.01.2020 в 17:40, Carlf788 сказал:

You dont need to win any trophies. I played journeyman in FM19 and started in Portugal. I changed few clubs (one or even twice I was fired and in the end Sporting signed me. In fact you need to have some ingame experience to promote in highrep clubs.
I noticed in past that board will prefer to sign more experienced manager usually even young have 2-3 extra good seasons (without trophies). But for sure you starting reputation has a lot of meaning. 

В 05.01.2020 в 18:20, Carlf788 сказал:

Lets try Krasnodar? They never won league (young club) but in first FM season they are will play first time in ChL (qualification), also they have extra good facilities for young development

Thanks for the replies. I started as Wisla Krakow but have lost 4 games out of 4so far. They are only predicted to come 8th so I was hoping to overachieve for a couple of years then get a better job.

I want to build my reputation first at a couple of smaller clubs before moving on to a club capable of winning the champions league, which is probably only a handful realistically in Eastern Europe. I'm thinking CSKA Moscow, Spartak Moscow, Zenit St Petersburg, Shakhtar Donetsk and Dynamo Kiev are the five with the best chance, maybe Krasnodar could too. 

I might restart it tonight as partizan Belgrade. It will probably take 10-15 years I reckon to complete the mission, 6/7 years to get a top job then another 4-9 years to build a team capable of winning it.

i guess my original question was which one would improve the reputation the most, winning a trophy at a team who was predicted to come 2nd or come 4th with a team who was supposed to come say 10th. Sounds like both would do the same job and it's all down to experience too 

Edited by Carlf788