EPL Squad Registration - Haaland Nationality?

So, post Brexit squad registration rules are a pain in the butt-ox.  I'm in my 4th season, currently overachieving at Everton & have my eye on the Chelsea job at the end if the season (their manager is 72 and his contract is up, he HAS to go surely?!?) and perusing their squad, they've got Erling - now:

Born in Leeds, England.  Doesn't have English nationality. 

Can this be right?

Nope, he was only born there when his father played in England. Moved back to Norway soon after, so doesn't have English nationality. He might be eligible for it though, if we wanted. But up until Jan 1st 2020 Norwegian were unable to have dual citizenship, and that meant that if you took another citizenship you'd lose your Norwegian one.

To meet the British Citizenship requirements, you usually need to have been born to a mother or father with British Citizenship or settled status.

For this route, you must have:

• been born to a British mother, before January 1st, 1983;
  • have been born to a British father;
  • a connection with Gibralter (e.g if you are a British overseas territories citizen);
  • a connection with Hong Kong (you have been ordinarily resident since February 3rd, 1997); or
  • a British grandparent (in certain circumstances).

If you were born in the UK, and one or more of your parents has British Citizenship or Settled Status, you are automatically a British citizen.

This means that you do not have to register as a British citizen.

None of those apply to Haaland, and so he would not be eligible for British nationality.

• 11 months later...

These were the rules when Haaland was born. Norway joined the EEA in 1994. Haaland is British by birth. These are the rules from 01/01/1983 - 01/10/2000. Haaland was born 21/07/2000

If at least one of your parents was a citizen of an EU or EEA country when you were born

You’re automatically a British citizen if when you were born at least one of your parents was both:

• a citizen of a country that was in the EU or the EEAand had full free movement rights - people from Portugal and Spain got these rights on 1 January 1992
  • living in the UK, and working or studying here

If the parent that meets these conditions is your father, he must have been married to your mother when you were born.

2 minutes ago, Samhtfc said:

These were the rules when Haaland was born. Norway joined the EEA in 1994. Haaland is British by birth. These are the rules from 01/01/1983 - 01/10/2000. Haaland was born 21/07/2000

If at least one of your parents was a citizen of an EU or EEA country when you were born

You’re automatically a British citizen if when you were born at least one of your parents was both:

• a citizen of a country that was in the EU or the EEAand had full free movement rights - people from Portugal and Spain got these rights on 1 January 1992
  • living in the UK, and working or studying here

If the parent that meets these conditions is your father, he must have been married to your mother when you were born.

I can repeat the former message I had, for Norwegian citizens it was, until Jan 1st 2020, not allowed to have dual citizenship. Haaland is Norwegian and never renounced his Norwegian citizenship and thus didn't have an English one. So he might be eligible for one if he were to apply in real life (I don't know the details of the English law), but CURRENTLY, he doesn't have one due to the Norwegian laws at the time of him living there.

As XaW says, until last year you could not be a dual national Norwegian. so Haaland would not have dual nationality. Other than that I have no idea how naturalization works in the UK. If he is indeed eligible, he can now apply. I assume if he moved to an English club in the summer in real life, he will.

• 1 year later...
On 07/03/2021 at 21:15, sporadicsmiles said:

As XaW says, until last year you could not be a dual national Norwegian. so Haaland would not have dual nationality. Other than that I have no idea how naturalization works in the UK. If he is indeed eligible, he can now apply. I assume if he moved to an English club in the summer in real life, he will.

Actually, Norwegians born with Dual Nationality could keep both until the age of 22 when they needed to chose one or the other. Haaland was only 19/20 when Norway allowed dual nationality so he will have been and still is a British citizen.

7 hours ago, Samhtfc said:

Actually, Norwegians born with Dual Nationality could keep both until the age of 22 when they needed to chose one or the other. Haaland was only 19/20 when Norway allowed dual nationality so he will have been and still is a British citizen.

Isn’t it dependent on whether he got himself a British passport? 

8 hours ago, Samhtfc said:

But he wasn't born with dual nationality, he was born as a Norwegian in England to Norwegian parents, neither of which was British citizens. So the only claim for him to a British citizenship was that he was born there, and to the best of my knowledge it was never applied for. If he got one he would then have had to renounce his Norwegian one, since he was not born with a dual one. If he could gain a British citizenship if wanted now? Perhaps, I don't know the law for that, but as far as I can tell, he has never had any other citizenship than Norwegian, and based on what I've read and heard from him in interviews and such, he has never uttered a word about him having the option to play for England, or having a British citizenship.

On 06/10/2022 at 08:26, XaW said:

But he wasn't born with dual nationality, he was born as a Norwegian in England to Norwegian parents, neither of which was British citizens. So the only claim for him to a British citizenship was that he was born there, and to the best of my knowledge it was never applied for. If he got one he would then have had to renounce his Norwegian one, since he was not born with a dual one. If he could gain a British citizenship if wanted now? Perhaps, I don't know the law for that, but as far as I can tell, he has never had any other citizenship than Norwegian, and based on what I've read and heard from him in interviews and such, he has never uttered a word about him having the option to play for England, or having a British citizenship.

He was as at the time of his birth, children born to EEA parents (Norway was and still is) were automatically British. Unless he physically dropped it then there’s no reason he isn’t British. When born British you don’t claim it, it’s just automatic. UK also allows dual nationality. 

On 06/10/2022 at 07:08, DP said:

Isn’t it dependent on whether he got himself a British passport? 

He was automatically born British, you can go your whole life without a passport if you want. I have 3 passports for 3 countries, I could easily never have a British one again but I’m still British. 

Would be interesting for someone to ask him in an interview to settle the question though. 

5 hours ago, Samhtfc said:

He was as at the time of his birth, children born to EEA parents (Norway was and still is) were automatically British. Unless he physically dropped it then there’s no reason he isn’t British. When born British you don’t claim it, it’s just automatic. UK also allows dual nationality. 

While true, if you don't actually have anything to prove you're legally British then it isn't going to count for any legal purposes. I'd assume that would include squad registration so unless he, the club, or even the FA/government? have paperwork to prove he's a British citizen, he wouldn't count as one.

7 hours ago, Samhtfc said:

I had a look in various Norwegian newspapers (online of couse) and it seems to be claimed he perhaps could have played for England if he wanted, but he never considered it an option. This is the Norwegian text and I'll roughly translate below:

TV 2 forhørte seg for øvrig med Haaland om muligheten for å representere det engelske landslaget da spissjuvelen deltok på sin første samling med det norske A-landslaget i fjor høst.

– Det har ikke vært noe særlig tema, det.

– Du føler deg utelukkende norsk?

– Jeg er veldig norsk. Jeg har litt britisk i meg, men jeg er norsk, stadfestet spilleren selv den gang.

TV2 (Norwegian broadcaster) asked Haaland about the possibility of representing the English national side when the striker participated in his first call-up with the Norwegian side.

Haaland: It's never been a topic for discussion.

TV2: You feel exclusively Norwegian?

Haaland: I am very Norwegian. I have a bit of Britain in my, but I am Norwegian. "Said the player back then"

• FrazT locked this topic