Why do I keep getting Unambitious players on youth intakes?

Hello everyone,

Just to introduce, I'm in my fourth season managing Altinordu SK from Turkey. Got promoted in 2020/21, but went down in the next season and I'm currently fighting for promotion in the 2nd division. But Altinordu is known for their young players: names like Cengiz Under and Caglar Soyuncu came from the club, and also other young prospects like Berke Ozer (Fenerbahçe), Ravil Tagir (who I sold to Valencia in my save and is a starter at the Turkish NT) and Atakan Uner (sold to Valladolid).

There are my facilites:

• Corporate: Top
  • Training: Excellent
  • Data Analysis: Basic
  • Youth: Superb
  • Junior coaching: Excellent
  • Youth Recruitment: Average

A really good scenario for a Turkish 2nd division club. I also have a good HoYD (18 Working with Youngsters; 13 CA / 14 PA judging, and also a Fairly Professional personality).

Despite that, I keep getting Unambitious (and other non-desirable personalities) at my youth intakes. The funny thing is that the best players that come through our ranks are usually those with best personalities. I've got two great prospects with RB Mehmet Koylu and AM Serhat Yildiz, who are already first teamers. But the majority of the players, even those who could develop, have undesirable personalities.

I counted all the players that came from my youth ranks, even those that were already sold and those that were not used in the current intake. Here's the result:

Good personalities (7):

Spirited (2), Fairly Determined (2), Fairly Professional (1), Fairly Ambitious (1), Professional (1)

Neutral personalities (12):

Balanced (12)

Undesirable personalities (29):

Unambitious (18), Low Determination (3), Temperamental (3), Mercenary (2), Slack (2), Fickle (1).

Is this supposed to happen? I know that I won't have 18 Model Citizens in my intakes, some of the players will have personalities that I don't want. But that's weird for me. "Unambitious" players are almost the sum of good and neutral ones in my intakes.

About half of my youth intakes have low determination or unambitious and my hoyd is a model professional. I suppose it's understandable since they're still young. I tend to drop those players anyways because I don't think clubs should just sign every youth that comes knocking. Haven't had much success using mentoring group in youth squads but it's fairly easy to mentor them if you bring them to senior squad.

Edited by Russiandude

May I know what is the personality of your under 18 manager and under 18 coach? Had a few really good youngster with bad personality before because the youth manager has likes to play mind games in his media handling style which is no good.

2 horas atrás, Russiandude disse:

About half of my youth intakes have low determination or unambitious and my hoyd is a model professional. I suppose it's understandable since they're still young. I tend to drop those players anyways because I don't think clubs should just sign every youth that comes knocking. Haven't had much success using mentoring group in youth squads but it's fairly easy to mentor them if you bring them to senior squad.

That's what I want to know - is this something done on purpose or there's something that I can do to avoid this? I don't think it's realistic to have almost 50% of Unambitious in a pool of 48 players. Other personalities (positive and negative) are balanced IMO.

56 minutos atrás, FMFutbol disse:

I saw your HoYD has a good personality. Maybe its because of personality of youth coaches? 

19 minutos atrás, zyfon5 disse:

May I know what is the personality of your under 18 manager and under 18 coach? Had a few really good youngster with bad personality before because the youth manager has likes to play mind games in his media handling style which is no good.

Manager: Balanced (20 WWY / 11 DET / 11 DIS / 14 MOT
Ast, Man: Spirited (5 WWY / 14 DET / 11 DIS / 11 MOT)
Coach: Balanced (20 WWY / 9 DET / 5 DIS / 8 MOT)
Fit Coach: Fairly Loyal (14 WWY / 12 DET / 16 DIS / 14 MOT)
GK Coach: Balanced (20 WWY / 11 DET / 7 DIS / 6 MOT)

25 minutes ago, bpecanha said:

That's what I want to know - is this something done on purpose or there's something that I can do to avoid this? I don't think it's realistic to have almost 50% of Unambitious in a pool of 48 players. Other personalities (positive and negative) are balanced IMO.

Manager: Balanced (20 WWY / 11 DET / 11 DIS / 14 MOT
Ast, Man: Spirited (5 WWY / 14 DET / 11 DIS / 11 MOT)
Coach: Balanced (20 WWY / 9 DET / 5 DIS / 8 MOT)
Fit Coach: Fairly Loyal (14 WWY / 12 DET / 16 DIS / 14 MOT)
GK Coach: Balanced (20 WWY / 11 DET / 7 DIS / 6 MOT)

Your youth manager might be the problem here as under 18 manager is perhaps the second most influential staff for your youth intake. As he is just balanced, the youth players u get will naturally have higher chance of getting bad personality compared to if he is professional for example. If ur youth staff are all good personality it will increase chances of u getting good personality and reduce chances getting bad personality. Even if ur staff are all professional doesn't mean all youth players u get will be professional. U will still get occasional unambitious ones at lesser chances.

Also, while Fairly Professional is a good personality, it does not say anything about ambition. So you could have a Fairly Professional HoYD with low ambition, and that low ambition translates down to the youth players.

Here is what SI have told us about the HoYD:

Head of Youth Development (HoYD)
The club’s HoYD is responsible for bringing Newgens into the club. He will influence what “type” of players are selected and can partially or fully pass on his personality to some of these Newgens. The “type” of players selected refers to a player’s position and style, for instance a HoYD with a preferred 4-5-1 formation and a Technical Coaching Style may produce more technically styled midfielders than another HoYD.
The HoYD will also influence the rare “freak” or exceptional Newgens that come through, modifying their ability and style.
This role is filled by the HoYD by default, however if none is employed whichever staff member is set to be responsible for youth development will fill this role.

So he is the one who pass on, fully OR partially, his personality. So if you get unlucky, he passes his potential low ambition to a lot of the youth players.

Mercenary and fickle are not undesirable personalities more neutral. They both have high ambition and low loyalty, fickle is slightly higher loyalty, they could also have reasonable determination and professionalism. Ambition is important in players development  I've read.