Little FM things that annoy you...

Not sure if this has been mentioned already but Ill be surprised if it hasnt! Head of Youth Development offering contracts to random youngsters who are terrible, I have to go in and withdraw the contract offer every single time but sometimes one slips through where ive missed the news item. Im sure you can stop him doing this in staff responsibilities but havent got round to doing it.

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Mackem742 said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned already but Ill be surprised if it hasnt! Head of Youth Development offering contracts to random youngsters who are terrible, I have to go in and withdraw the contract offer every single time but sometimes one slips through where ive missed the news item. Im sure you can stop him doing this in staff responsibilities but havent got round to doing it.

Yeah, that's your own fault for allowing him to do it...

Getting into ruts when you can't win a game.  Last 4 games, 3 1-1 draws and a 2-0 defeat.  Every game I have had more shots (total 76-39), more shots on target (39-20), more CCC (7-0) and more HC (12-3).  Two of my 3 goals were penalties.

Despite being told just because you have a lot of shots etc you shouldnt expect to win, I'm ticked off at my oppo not having to create anything but being able to score, whereas my 1 on 1s or free headers 6 yds out are constantly hopeless.

IRL I'd be pleased if my players and tactics combined to statistically outplay teams this way.  It just gets boring after a while when another header from a corner or worldie from 25 yds (You don't save those!) flies in.  

1 hour ago, ExeChris said:

Getting into ruts when you can't win a game.  Last 4 games, 3 1-1 draws and a 2-0 defeat.  Every game I have had more shots (total 76-39), more shots on target (39-20), more CCC (7-0) and more HC (12-3).  Two of my 3 goals were penalties.

Despite being told just because you have a lot of shots etc you shouldnt expect to win, I'm ticked off at my oppo not having to create anything but being able to score, whereas my 1 on 1s or free headers 6 yds out are constantly hopeless.

IRL I'd be pleased if my players and tactics combined to statistically outplay teams this way.  It just gets boring after a while when another header from a corner or worldie from 25 yds (You don't save those!) flies in.  

So much this.  It's like the game sets a flag that the human controlled team is just going to suck at shooting and their defenders just stand and literally watch the opposing players run right past without moving anything but their head as a breakaway which always scores happens.

Also, set pieces which were deadly now are catastrophic.

It's really tiring when computer games have hidden flags which make the human lose - like in most of the Civ games where there's a turn number where all the computer nations declare war on the human even if currently allied.

FM's tactics module considers a formation with two fullbacks and three central defenders as a 5-x-y.  A formation with three central defenders, two players in the wingback spots and two DMs is a 3-4-x.  A formation with three central defenders, two wide midfielders and two central midfielders is a 3-4-x.  A formation with three central defenders, two wingbacks and two central midfielders is a 5-2-x.  A formation with three central defenders, LWB, RWB, two DMs and a CM is a 3-5-x.  A formation with three central defenders, LWB, RWB, a DM and two CMs is a 5-1-2-x.  A formation with three central defenders, LWB, RWB, DM, two CM and an AM in a diamond is a 5-4-x Diamond; if the AM is moved to the left or right center spots it becomes a 5-3-1-x.  That's inconsistent both internally and with how those formations are talked about IRL.  Any formation with three central defenders and wide defenders in the LWB and RWB spots should be a back three rather than depending on the positioning of the central midfield players.

3 horas atrás, Sunstrikuuu disse:

FM's tactics module considers a formation with two fullbacks and three central defenders as a 5-x-y.  A formation with three central defenders, two players in the wingback spots and two DMs is a 3-4-x.  A formation with three central defenders, two wide midfielders and two central midfielders is a 3-4-x.  A formation with three central defenders, two wingbacks and two central midfielders is a 5-2-x.  A formation with three central defenders, LWB, RWB, two DMs and a CM is a 3-5-x.  A formation with three central defenders, LWB, RWB, a DM and two CMs is a 5-1-2-x.  A formation with three central defenders, LWB, RWB, DM, two CM and an AM in a diamond is a 5-4-x Diamond; if the AM is moved to the left or right center spots it becomes a 5-3-1-x.  That's inconsistent both internally and with how those formations are talked about IRL.  Any formation with three central defenders and wide defenders in the LWB and RWB spots should be a back three rather than depending on the positioning of the central midfield players.

Same problem here with some Brazilian teams, they play a default narrow 4-4-2 with 2 DMs + 2 CMs (instead of 2 DMs + 2 AMs that were supposed to emulate old-style real life formations)

Edited by shimera

On 11/10/2020 at 21:31, Marabak said:

When you get a press conference asking you why you didn't substitute a certain player despite taking off players with a worse rating or injured etc. I wish there was an option to say something like "The rules limit me to 3 subs, I wish I could have substituted them all" or something.

Also as another potential option - "He's the best damn player at the club, so even if he's having an off game he's still better than the rest of them!"

Ya OK just got stuck in that stupid loop of (hopefully that is rightly seen as the bug it is (player getting annoyed and then no adequate answer to give)...

• player won't enter contract negotiations because Barca/PSG are interested
  • fine, transfer listed
  • hey! why did you transfer list me
  • no response available for this situation, so pick something
  • I'm angry now, this isn't the last you've heard of this!
  • Teammates complain about his shabby treatment
  • Player's morale tanks and a few others drop with him
  • Spend a week or two trying to max out transfer fee for angry poor performing player and finally get him sold for decent but not great money

This is the 1st time I have ever uninstalled the game before the release of the new one, my heart is just not in it, I tried umpteen tactics and although I still won games, I just couldn't enjoy FM20 at all. We all know the bugs in the ME so there's little point going over them again, I think this is the 1st FM that I've never gone past 2 seasons in the game and that says it all.

When you use a 4-1-4-1 formation and the news items say you're playing a 4-1-4-1-DM, or 4-4-2 but with 4 in the middle it's 4-4-2-diamond,or you go 3-5-2 and the media say you're going 3-5-2-WB it just infuriates me, why can't they just be 4-1-4-1, 4-4-2 or 3-5-2? No one in football puts the DM or WB at the end when reporting on it or talking about it, so why does FM continue to do it! And don't even get me started on asymmetrical formations....!!!!

19 hours ago, CaptCanuck said:

Ya OK just got stuck in that stupid loop of (hopefully that is rightly seen as the bug it is (player getting annoyed and then no adequate answer to give)...

• player won't enter contract negotiations because Barca/PSG are interested
  • fine, transfer listed
  • hey! why did you transfer list me
  • no response available for this situation, so pick something
  • I'm angry now, this isn't the last you've heard of this!
  • Teammates complain about his shabby treatment
  • Player's morale tanks and a few others drop with him
  • Spend a week or two trying to max out transfer fee for angry poor performing player and finally get him sold for decent but not great money

Player power I'm afraid. I wouldn't have transfer listed the player, I'd have dropped him until he came to my door moaning about game time, then threatened to transfer list him. Chances are, he would then accept that as a resolution. What you've done here is a knee jerk reaction that's just made the player annoyed. I agree some of the answers should be more contextual and/or fleshed out, and I hope they've worked at this for FM21, but the key thing is to always try and keep the ball in your court. 

Oh yeah, they could with some extra options for sure

My 'keeper's got the hump, twice this has happened now. Comes to me wanting a new contract so I say "yeah cool" get the DOF to do his job & offer him a contract, Mr Keeper turns it down & wants a word 

Two options to respond with are:

1) Sorry, they broke down - I'm not sorry so I'm not saying that

2) Okay buddy, you turned down a contract offer - he gets the hump 

How about:

3) You've still got two years left on this one mate, buck up 

4) Fine, I'll transfer list you, replacing you isn't a problem 

5) The guy behind you is just as good, you can see out your contract out in the U23s 

2 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Player power I'm afraid. I wouldn't have transfer listed the player, I'd have dropped him until he came to my door moaning about game time, then threatened to transfer list him. Chances are, he would then accept that as a resolution. What you've done here is a knee jerk reaction that's just made the player annoyed. I agree some of the answers should be more contextual and/or fleshed out, and I hope they've worked at this for FM21, but the key thing is to always try and keep the ball in your court. 

I'm fine with the player-power dynamics, it's fun to have some handbags. And if things go up in flames so be it, it's all part of the game. I've waited out other players in the past, that I felt I couldn't or didn't want to replace and yes they come around. Heck I tried to redo his contract in the summer and he wouldn't because of Barca interest. That's all fair enough.

That said I think there is a genuine bug there in that the interaction/conversation workflow doesn't handle what won't be a unique scenario and that's a little thing that annoys me :-)

Seriously SI, just sort out the *insert swearword* column width issues. Auto-sizing the columns works better this year than having to manually move them in previous years, but literally every time I open up a particular page, I have to auto-size all yet again. 

On 14/10/2020 at 21:02, Marabak said:

Seriously SI, just sort out the *insert swearword* column width issues. Auto-sizing the columns works better this year than having to manually move them in previous years, but literally every time I open up a particular page, I have to auto-size all yet again. 

This!  About once an hour I have to resize something that I've meticulously arranged.

On 14/10/2020 at 21:02, Marabak said:

This all day long

On 15/10/2020 at 11:03, Sunstrikuuu said:

Hebei China Fortune have made four offers in a single day for a player valued at £52m who has no interest in joining them: £24m, £28.5m, £29m and £29m. 

You have to admire their persistence.  Hopefully they return with a 5th bid at £27M.

I'm having a new one at the moment. Just experimenting with a tactic I never have success with.

Anyway, it's pushing 65-70% possession, is getting some shots (let's say 10 shots, 7 on target) and the commentators are always banging on about how entertaining, thrilling and dominating my games and performances are. I'm drawing consistently 0-0. And obviously, the board thinks my 'attacking' football is poor (because no goals) and my entertainment is poor (no goals). But, if you listen to the commentators, my football is so sexy, it makes your eyes erect. 

So, my annoyance at the moment is how they don't line up. I think the board should agree with the commentators that you can have entertaining draws and sexy football without the goals happening. :P

The fact that you know exactly when an opposition goal is coming, before they even get close to your third.

If I see a midfielder slightly out of position, and unable to make the interception, then 99 times out of 100 it leads to an AI goal, even if it's a ****** rebound one.

And that BBM's only get decent ratings if they score.  BWM's also seem to be surgically attached to a 6.5 ratings.

This is probably my fault tactically, but I've never used one winger who is remotely consistent.  They'll play three 6.3's in a row, then on the fourth game they'll score and set two up.  Just wish wide players were even the slightest bit consistent.

On 20/08/2020 at 14:13, dolph11 said:

How my Inside Forwards manage 11 and 15 goals in my title winning season yet my Striker who doubled their shot count finished with 3. His opportunities weren't as good, you may think: absolutely not. He should have finished with at least somewhere in that region given his opportunities. The previous season was very similar. I should be happy I won the league (Uruguayan Prem) but something about it doesn't feel right watching the games. 

That last second is honestly the most accurate summary of Football Manager 2020 I've ever seen.

I won everything with Man United in my first season, and lost one single game in all competitions - but it felt like an absolute chore at times.  I got a handful of wins where I thought "Yeah, we were completely dominant, can't complain at all", but every other game is just 10-15 minutes of players making brain dead decisions like shooting on the byline, Inside Forwards going on Messi-like runs only to punt the ball so high it lands in East Africa, and the same header animation 7 times a match, where a striker misses a golden chance.  Not to mention I've yet to use any midfielder or forward with any sense of consistency.

Something that really annoys me is how Scout or Coach reports sometimes fail to notice the player's hidden stats despite the knowledge you have of a player.

image.thumb.png.e911c2f0dd1cefbf964405e2b1d77928.png

Here you have a Wonderkid of mine. From that point on, he looks pretty decent, with no major flaws outside of, maybe, his Flair. When I was keeping tabs on him before signing him, he was pretty much the same.

Now, what happens one YEAR after this image?

image.thumb.png.4f91630a55c97fc6c8de318663e86c2f.png

Suddenly, they realize he has a 3 on Important Matches! And that he might have an issue fitting with the squad.

Again, it took one year for them to realize.

Edited by llDracoll

1 hour ago, llDracoll said:

Something that really annoys me is how Scout or Coach reports sometimes fail to notice the player's hidden stats despite the knowledge you have of a player.

Here you have a Wonderkid of mine. From that point on, he looks pretty decent, with no major flaws outside of, maybe, his Flair. When I was keeping tabs on him before signing him, he was pretty much the same.

Suddenly, they realize he has a 3 on Important Matches! And that he might have an issue fitting with the squad.

Maybe it took a year to realise he doesn't have the bottle for big matches. Don't think there is anything inherently wrong with that. Look at the players IRL who look quality, transfer to a bigger club and then struggle in big matches.

1 hour ago, CaptCanuck said:

Maybe it took a year to realise he doesn't have the bottle for big matches. Don't think there is anything inherently wrong with that. Look at the players IRL who look quality, transfer to a bigger club and then struggle in big matches.

I agree with you. But after scouting for two weeks that central defender who has never taken a free kick in his life they know that his FK is an 8 and his PK is a 6, with perfect certainty and accuracy.

I also wonder about player personality. How is it that the manager doesn't know his personality after several seasons of managing? I know I could guess it from their reaction to team talks and press conferences, but a lot happens off camera in the game in team trainings that could inform personality. I believe you should be able to learn their hidden attributes over time.

35 minutes ago, fivetwelvepony said:

I agree with you. But after scouting for two weeks that central defender who has never taken a free kick in his life they know that his FK is an 8 and his PK is a 6, with perfect certainty and accuracy.

I also wonder about player personality. How is it that the manager doesn't know his personality after several seasons of managing? I know I could guess it from their reaction to team talks and press conferences, but a lot happens off camera in the game in team trainings that could inform personality. I believe you should be able to learn their hidden attributes over time.

Oh sure -scouting in general is a good place to work on suspension of disbelief :-) The time in which things become revealed is definitely a tricky one

Found this in another thread, which was interesting:

Watching my CD/CM Ball Winning Midfielder score another scorcher from distance - his 6th in 15 games and think "Wow what a great decision to play him there, his Long Shots must be superb for these bonus goals, as no other BWM has scored close to that many".  Check it out and he has 4 for Long Shots :idiot:

Edited by ExeChris

Played away to the team that had already won the league on the last match of the season.  I was a bit unlucky to lose 3-2 and that meant I finished 4th.  The board then sacked me as they wanted me to win the league which I was half expecting - it is a bit galling as before that game I had only lost 1 of my previous 32 competitive games!

I don't know if its little but being unable to just run a regular 343 without moving both MF into DM slots or WB into WM slots.

I think FM is really lacking for three defender systems as a whole. Working to replicate Bielsa's 3313 earlier this year showed a lot of faults in the tactics creator, chief among them being that when you utilize 3 defenders, the outside CB pay no mind to the wide areas of the pitch and compress into the backline whenever the ball is lost. Man-marking outside CBs to wingers or inside forwards doesn't really affect this.

Worse still, the benefits of a system such as a 343 cannot be fully realized within FM because of the way the tactics creator dishes out the areas of responsibility. A manager like Pep Guardiola uses positional play in a much smarter manner than FM's tactics creator. 30 areas of responsibility dispersed evenly across the pitch opposed to 20 more intelligently partitioned zones. It helps reveal the underlying problems with how reality becomes translated into the game. I'm not saying that SI needs to fully replicate it, but the disparity between how true football positions are utilized versus how FM does is far too great for a game which prides itself on realism. 

21 horas atrás, bielsadidnothingwrong disse:

I don't know if its little but being unable to just run a regular 343 without moving both MF into DM slots or WB into WM slots.

I think FM is really lacking for three defender systems as a whole. Working to replicate Bielsa's 3313 earlier this year showed a lot of faults in the tactics creator, chief among them being that when you utilize 3 defenders, the outside CB pay no mind to the wide areas of the pitch and compress into the backline whenever the ball is lost. Man-marking outside CBs to wingers or inside forwards doesn't really affect this.

Worse still, the benefits of a system such as a 343 cannot be fully realized within FM because of the way the tactics creator dishes out the areas of responsibility. A manager like Pep Guardiola uses positional play in a much smarter manner than FM's tactics creator. 30 areas of responsibility dispersed evenly across the pitch opposed to 20 more intelligently partitioned zones. It helps reveal the underlying problems with how reality becomes translated into the game. I'm not saying that SI needs to fully replicate it, but the disparity between how true football positions are utilized versus how FM does is far too great for a game which prides itself on realism. 

True. The game practically screams at you to get LBs/RBs if you're playing with 3 CBs when it shouldn't be that way

On 18/10/2020 at 03:37, llDracoll said:

Which skin is that? 

I often hand transfer over to my staff. When I add a player to transfer targets list, the DoF makes an offer, but it fails because the salary is too high, the playing time isn't enough, etc. That's all I ever know really. It would be nice to have the DoF get back in touch with me saying "hey gaffer, this kid wants high wages/more playing time" or something instead of him abandoning all hope and angering the agent in the process! 

On 03/10/2020 at 10:28, ampoliros said:

Players upset wanting a new contract when they demanded and signed a new contract less than a year ago....

Player won't sign a new contract because he's unhappy at the club. Why is he unhappy? He wants a new contract.

Edited by fivetwelvepony

10 minutes ago, fivetwelvepony said:

Player won't sign a new contract because he's unhappy at the club. Why is he unhappy? He wants a new contract.

Just an update. completely nonsensical.

1. I offer contract. Player won't enter discussions.

2. Reporter calls, says hey, this guy is mad about his contract. I respond, "I'd like to offer him a new contract."

3. Player reacts well to news conference.

4. I offer contract. Player accepts deal.

On 03/10/2020 at 20:59, Heywood JaBlowme said:

Troll bait press conference questions that make you wish there were more response options for you to really speak your mind: 

I destroy the competition 5-1 and the only 2 PC questions are about how the well the opposition player performed in the match.

FS.thumb.png.7846d70339b07dca5055999b38bcb509.png

1.thumb.png.cd68a5c88dfa3b942599d6470f479f53.png

2.thumb.png.76674d26f30d04e25a3dc9ce5798e033.png

😂🤷🏻‍♂️😰🙏🏾 Well well. Do you leave the presse conférence ?

On 22/10/2020 at 06:32, fivetwelvepony said:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😭😭😭🤷🏾‍♂️😂

me in this situation :😑😐👍🏾

On 22/10/2020 at 06:32, fivetwelvepony said:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😭😭😭🤷🏾‍♂️😂

me in this situation :😑😐👍🏾

On 19/10/2020 at 02:55, bielsadidnothingwrong said:

Oh and set pieces.

they just don't exist) I'm honestly wonder who uses it, because I don't really know how you can benefit from just putting players on predefined positions and choose a type of pass, because that's all you can do with set piesces in this game 

2 hours ago, FedAt said:

sending your best scout (19/19) to scout Denmark (or similar country) for few months with 100% of knowledge of this country to receive report with just Christensen who play for Chelsea

That is funny. I had a scout out in the APAC region and his best 'find' was an Australian guy already playing at Inter Milan.