Pirlo's Manager Thesis

Theory is nothing worth, if you can not translate it on the pitch. There have been very very exceptional young German managers in the last few years who were compared to Tuchel and Nagelsmann, who were top of their classes (same academy Nagelsmann visited) but still failed extremely bad. Hannes Wolf is one greate example. Top of his class and now even in Belgium, has been fired like after 4-5 weeks (37 years old and already been fired at 4 different clubs). I will wait for Pirlo's first serious appearances in the champions league whether these things he has written in his thesis are applicable on the pitch.

1 hour ago, Bot Makel said:

The thesis is very elementary, there is nothing original or particularly complex.

There are discussions on this forum that are far better and more interesting.

In many ways simple tactics are more effective than complex ones.  The primary reason being simple, means easy to comprehend and execute by most players and secondly simple things are usually tried and proven in the past. 

19 minutes ago, Bot Makel said:

I'm talking about the ideas inside in a thesis written to become a coach. I would expect something more.

I wouldn't read too much into it. As far as I know, he had to finish it pretty quickly before the season starts and maybe also didn't want to reveal all his plans.

29 minutes ago, summatsupeer said:

I've only seen highlights which didn't show much.  Looked like a back 3, WB's stayed wide, CM pair held midfield with wide forwards roaming and coming inside with Ronaldo.

It started off as 4 at the back but during attack became 3. Frabotta would join the attack more and Danilo stayed back.

6 minutes ago, maximilli said:

I wouldn't read too much into it. As far as I know, he had to finish it pretty quickly before the season starts and maybe also didn't want to reveal all his plans.

Absolutely not, he could have easily trained without giving the thesis like so many others do.

The reality is that having no direct experience on the pitch (as a coach) he has only included elements in theory that do not always match what actually happens on the pitch.

Edited by Bot Makel

3 minutes ago, Bot Makel said:

Absolutely not, he could have easily trained without giving the thesis like so many others do.

I thought you can't manage a team in Serie A without UEFA Pro license. Either way, the game wasn't perfect but looked good. His tactics worked and looked better than almost any game played under Sarri, though it was against Sampdoria.

9 minutes ago, maximilli said:

I thought you can't manage a team in Serie A without UEFA Pro license. Either way, the game wasn't perfect but looked good. His tactics worked and looked better than almost any game played under Sarri, though it was against Sampdoria.

You can train with a permit while taking the course. Thiago Motta completed the course with Pirlo but has already trained last year.

I'm not talking about tactics or movements on the pitch. Pirlo has a staff that helps him in preparing for matches and training.

I am only talking about what I read in your thesis. I stop here. And I am disappointed. I was expecting something more.

I believe in Pirlo, I'm a Juventus fan, my name is Andrea and I come from Brescia in Italy like him. :P

Edited by Bot Makel

Nothing too special in that thesis but the ideas are coherent and without sounding too abstract like most things you read around, such as "I want to play attacking football". Instead, he seems to have a clear understanding of how he wants his team to play. 

I did an interpretation but he as he wrote it's not about a formation or a system but the principles and taking the best of the players available.

Nice to know Pirlo reads these forums and listens to our advice about thinking about what you want your players to do, how you want to play in all four phases of the game (attack, defence, attacking and defensive transitions), and how he wants to achieve that. Now I shall await his complaints that the game is scripted after someone beats his team in a smash and grab! (I jest, nobody overreact :D).

I admit a lot of things are lost in the translation, but the ideas are pretty clear to me. I actually think the forum should start to explicitly discuss play in terms of the 4 phases, to get people used to thinking about them both individually, and how they combine together to form a whole tactical system. 

On 21/09/2020 at 08:04, Bot Makel said:

The thesis is very elementary, there is nothing original or particularly complex.

There are discussions on this forum that are far better and more interesting.

Sure. Was expecting much more from Pirlo. After the first game (where he played 4-4-2 switching to 3-5-2), I would say he wrote this just to have the thesis done. I'm guessing he wouldn't want to give away everything.