Get teams for competition, how does it work?

Wolf_pd

1.thumb.png.c1957a76492baca4c990df33b2224ad8.png

For picking teams, there are some options to pick teams and replacement teams if the first team isn't available for whatever reason.

Does anyone know what these options do?

The screenshot is only used as an example, this is not a file I am working on.

Get league stage teams inst it ? Then set  0 - 5  so you get teams that finished 1st to 4th . Get teams for competition also has an option for back up if first team isnt available ? Im not sure what you are really after here ?

Noticed the screenshot wasn't the right one and changed it.

I meant the options in the pull down menu and what they do, so I can pick the right one.

For instance, if I pick No fall back, does that mean the team isn't replaced if it has already qualified for a higher level competition?

What is Next higher team and what is Next lower team?

Yes, what I mean is if you don't tick anything.

I'm not sure but I think it concerns the team category (B, U23, U21, etc...). I had read something here about the Youth League. It allowed to select several categories because some countries have U20's, some have U19's. It gave the possibility of selecting them as closely as possible.

The fall-back is used when you want to make sure the right team is selected. 

Let's take one step back first. The team type can be something other than First Team and this is when the fall-back option is most relevant IMO. Team type decides in which schedule(and awards, achievements etc) the competition ends up at. If you want to make sure that it's the U23 team you set team type to U23. Fall-back can then be set to ask the game to re-schedule in case there is no U23 team. I've used this in club cups with youth teams from more than one country. You can then set fall-back to eg. U21 or Next Lower Team if you wonder if U23 exist. Or Higher if you want the Reserve team. 

I haven't tried myself but I'm sure it can be used to say that eg. English Premier Division teams can only send its U23 to certain competitions. For those that try to build regional cups this should be explored more IMO. 

The option can of course be used for senior competitions as well as shown in the screenshot. I think the particular example shows that the first option is to select a runner-up, if not available the competition should then select the previous winner and after that the third placed. It can't be seen in the screenshot but my assumption in such a case is that there are other tournaments with higher priority where teams could have been selected. So if the Nicaraguan runner-up is unavailable because it was selected for another competition then it should be the winner unless that team also has qualified elsewhere. 

And obviously there are certainly other reasons and ways to use this but I think we all know that the editor works in mysterious ways. 

4 minutes ago, Fredrik said:

And obviously there are certainly other reasons and ways to use this but I think we all know that the editor works in mysterious ways. 

Can't deny that.

Yes, you are correct that the teams could qualify for a higher priority tournament in this example.

Am I correct in saying that Next higher can be read as "Previous winner" and Next lower is the next team in the runners-up competitions standings (so third in this case).

The thing I am especially interested in is whether No fallback means that no team is picked. This would be especially interesting for the situation where a Champions League would also qualify for next season and you then just say, no second place entry for that country.

But referring back to your remark, it might be that I am thinking out a version that is too complex for the editor ;)

51 minutes ago, Wolf_pd said:

Am I correct in saying that Next higher can be read as "Previous winner" and Next lower is the next team in the runners-up competitions standings (so third in this case).

The thing I am especially interested in is whether No fallback means that no team is picked. This would be especially interesting for the situation where a Champions League would also qualify for next season and you then just say, no second place entry for that country.

I do think no fall-back means exactly that. I think that the fall-back only refers to a club itself(and which team it will use). Hence, the option in the screen shot wouldn't work to pick previous winners or third placed teams. 

25 minutes ago, Fredrik said:

I do think no fall-back means exactly that. I think that the fall-back only refers to a club itself(and which team it will use). Hence, the option in the screen shot wouldn't work to pick previous winners or third placed teams. 

As I am testing today I will check out the No Fall back, because my edit needs that version. Let's see if that works as intended.

Hoping for some more input for the Next higher, next lower.

@ratio1618 do you have input, since I have used your Concacaf file as an example?

2 hours ago, Fredrik said:

The option can of course be used for senior competitions as well as shown in the screenshot. I think the particular example shows that the first option is to select a runner-up, if not available the competition should then select the previous winner and after that the third placed. It can't be seen in the screenshot but my assumption in such a case is that there are other tournaments with higher priority where teams could have been selected. So if the Nicaraguan runner-up is unavailable because it was selected for another competition then it should be the winner unless that team also has qualified elsewhere. 

Really interesting! I had only thought of the first option you mentioned. I would be curious to see how it can work.