FM24 - PC/Laptop advice thread *** PLEASE READ OPENING POST BEFORE POSTING ***

9 hours ago, peterpansnr said:

Hello all. 

My laptop bought back in 2018 is so painfully slow it takes 30 seconds to even open the Snipping Tool. I'm done with it and am close to smashing it up with a hammer.

Can anyone recommend a good laptop for running FM24 and using Microsoft Office programs like Word, Excel and PowerPoint? I don't care about the size of the laptop, all I can about it speed and being able to run FM smoothly and not chugging like a steam train. Being able to play the game with the top graphics on would be a welcome change too. I'd also like a laptop that wouldn't be out of date that quickly.

At present, I've saved £500 but could probably go to £750 soon.

Thanks in advance oh Technological Messiahs.

Perhaps if you give us the model and make we could make suggestions on how to speed it up? 

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, peterpansnr said:

Hello all. 

My laptop bought back in 2018 is so painfully slow it takes 30 seconds to even open the Snipping Tool. I'm done with it and am close to smashing it up with a hammer.

Can anyone recommend a good laptop for running FM24 and using Microsoft Office programs like Word, Excel and PowerPoint? I don't care about the size of the laptop, all I can about it speed and being able to run FM smoothly and not chugging like a steam train. Being able to play the game with the top graphics on would be a welcome change too. I'd also like a laptop that wouldn't be out of date that quickly.

At present, I've saved £500 but could probably go to £750 soon.

Thanks in advance oh Technological Messiahs.

If you're thinking of buying FM25, I'd probably look to carry on saving until they announce system requirements for FM25, as the system requirements are going to increase.

10 hours ago, Dsteve007 said:

Hi I used to play FM on my laptop but it's getting old. So I started playing fm24 on my apple tv. It's ok but I miss the full game experience.

So I'm thinking of getting a new laptop. Do you think a Macbook pro M3 Pro is overkill for FM? My budget is £2000 but I'd like to be under that if possible. 

If you're intent on buying a Mac, the rule generally is to buy the best one you can afford as once you pick a spec you're stuck with it as they're not upgradeable.

You can get a gaming laptop for less money than you'd spend on the Macbook pro though, so it depends on what you're looking for.

57 minutes ago, Delicate Dave said:

Perhaps if you give us the model and make we could make suggestions on how to speed it up? 

Sure, but I honestly think it's just muck now:

ASUS FX504GD-DM346T Gaming Laptop
Intel Core i7-8750H Hexa-Core Processor | 15.6" Full HD Screen | Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit | 16GB DDR4 RAM | 1000GB SSHD (Hybrid Drive) | Dedicated GeForce GTX 1050 4GB Graphics | USB3 | HDMI | Bluetooth | Backlit Ketboard | FX504GD-DM346T

15 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

If you're thinking of buying FM25, I'd probably look to carry on saving until they announce system requirements for FM25, as the system requirements are going to increase.

Yeah, I'll buy it as I've bought every game since Champ Manager came out. But I kinda need a new laptop now...

21 minutes ago, peterpansnr said:

Intel Core i7-8750H Hexa-Core Processor | 15.6" Full HD Screen | Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit | 16GB DDR4 RAM | 1000GB SSHD (Hybrid Drive) | Dedicated GeForce GTX 1050 4GB Graphics | USB3 | HDMI | Bluetooth | Backlit Ketboard | FX504GD-DM346T

That spec shouldn't have issues like you're describing, unless perhaps the drive on it is starting to fail.  Or perhaps there's some kind of software issue.

My first suggestion would be to back up anything important, and then do a fresh installation of Windows on it.

10 hours ago, kevhamster said:

That spec shouldn't have issues like you're describing, unless perhaps the drive on it is starting to fail.  Or perhaps there's some kind of software issue.

My first suggestion would be to back up anything important, and then do a fresh installation of Windows on it.

It's better than the laptop I  run FM24 on and I can load all the leagues playable if I wanted. Yes, that would be a slight delay in processing data but seconds. I choose to load them all and only make about ten playable. I have no intention of buying a new laptop to play FM25 and I'm sure this will run it.

Without seeing what's being loaded when your laptop starts it's hard to give advice but I suspect as you mentioned office then all the bunk it'll load might be the problem. 

But also we need to determine when the slowdown occurs - Is it a) during management when you move from day to day and the processor is working its job? If it's processing then perhaps your SSD drive is on its way out or something has taken ownership of a large junk of memory (office, Crome etc)

or b) during matches being played when the video card is working it's job. If it's during playing and you are getting lag then you might have your driver settings wrong and perhaps it's running the game off the default video card which I suspect will be an intel not the dedicated Nvida.  You could try removing all the nvida software and rebooting to let windows install a default driver. Then run the game and see if it's the same. 

1 hour ago, Delicate Dave said:

It's better than the laptop I  run FM24 on and I can load all the leagues playable if I wanted. Yes, that would be a slight delay in processing data but seconds. I choose to load them all and only make about ten playable. I have no intention of buying a new laptop to play FM25 and I'm sure this will run it.

Without seeing what's being loaded when your laptop starts it's hard to give advice but I suspect as you mentioned office then all the bunk it'll load might be the problem. 

But also we need to determine when the slowdown occurs - Is it a) during management when you move from day to day and the processor is working its job? If it's processing then perhaps your SSD drive is on its way out or something has taken ownership of a large junk of memory (office, Crome etc)

or b) during matches being played when the video card is working it's job. If it's during playing and you are getting lag then you might have your driver settings wrong and perhaps it's running the game off the default video card which I suspect will be an intel not the dedicated Nvida.  You could try removing all the nvida software and rebooting to let windows install a default driver. Then run the game and see if it's the same. 

Good points actually.

Things to do before reinstall would be to get task manager opened and make sure something isn't hogging memory, but it also will show if something is taxing the CPU.  I'd also look to make sure all drivers are up to date.  I'd recommend downloading Driver Easy as that will scan for all outdated drivers, and help you download new ones.  https://www.drivereasy.com/

On 26/05/2024 at 23:23, peterpansnr said:

Download Glary Utilities (don't buy the pro version)

There's a 1 Click Mainteanace - run that a few times until there are no more issues.

Then reboot.

See if it's any better.

There's a startup manager too - for the record - I have all things disabled for startup.

You could potentially update to Windows 11

Hit the Windows key on the keyboard and type in Update and run all updates.

And Asus have a tool for drivers

https://www.asus.com/support/download-center/

Posted (edited)

I want to build a dedicated PC specifically for playing Football Manager. I want to be able to play without worrying about other peripherals. I want to buy a PC that will allow me to play at maximum settings and performance. Can anyone provide any recommendations?

These are some of the things I collected. How does that sound like?

COMPUTER SPECSProcessor (CPU): Intel® Core™ i9-12900K (3.2GHz) 30MB Cache

Motherboard: ASUS® ROG STRIX Z690-A GAMING WIFI

Memory (RAM): 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 16GB)

Graphics Card: 12GB ASUS ROG STRIX GEFORCE RTX 3080

1st M.2 SSD Drive: 2TB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2

1st  M.2 Storage Drive: 4TB SEAGATE IRONWOLF PRO 3.5"

Power Supply: CORSAIR 850W RMe SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET Processor Cooling: PCS FrostFlow 240 Series ARGB High Performance Liquid Cooler

Edited by raktim0699

5 hours ago, raktim0699 said:

I want to build a dedicated PC specifically for playing Football Manager. I want to be able to play without worrying about other peripherals. I want to buy a PC that will allow me to play at maximum settings and performance. Can anyone provide any recommendations?

Power Supply: CORSAIR 850W RMe SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET Processor Cooling: PCS FrostFlow 240 Series ARGB High Performance Liquid Cooler

I'm not up to date, so others might disagree but there is more to just buying the best parts to build a PC if you want the best for a purpose like playing FM. Parts may be marketed as the best or fastest etc but they might not all play well together. I used to build PCs and servers for a major utility company and naturally, I built my own at home but when I set up my business I bought a workstation designed for the job because people like HP, MSI understand and have tested what works best. A quick search says the MSI Infinite RS 13th is the best gaming PC at the moment. I would go for something like that and from the looks of your shopping list it's way overkill for FM, for a start you'll have 5.7 TB of disk space never used except the OS would need to maintain all that. Also, FM will never make a processor run very hot because it just would never thrash the graphics & processing. It's not "active" gaming it's pre-set, what I mean is you are not sitting there constantly making processor requests shooting alines, and moving around a world space. You select the options and those options then play out in front of you with little input till the end.  I would put money into a good screen and yes future-proof with the graphics card by all means. Just my P" worth feel free to ignore.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, raktim0699 said:

If you're only playing Football Manager and no other games, then this setup is definitely overkill in terms of storage space and very likely overkill in terms of GPU.

Personally, I would hold fire until FM25's system requirements are announced as you're quite likely to be spending significantly in excess of what you need to with this list of components. 

Edited by kevhamster

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Delicate Dave said:

I'm not up to date, so others might disagree but there is more to just buying the best parts to build a PC if you want the best for a purpose like playing FM. Parts may be marketed as the best or fastest etc but they might not all play well together. I used to build PCs and servers for a major utility company and naturally, I built my own at home but when I set up my business I bought a workstation designed for the job because people like HP, MSI understand and have tested what works best. A quick search says the MSI Infinite RS 13th is the best gaming PC at the moment. I would go for something like that and from the looks of your shopping list it's way overkill for FM, for a start you'll have 5.7 TB of disk space never used except the OS would need to maintain all that. Also, FM will never make a processor run very hot because it just would never thrash the graphics & processing. It's not "active" gaming it's pre-set, what I mean is you are not sitting there constantly making processor requests shooting alines, and moving around a world space. You select the options and those options then play out in front of you with little input till the end.  I would put money into a good screen and yes future-proof with the graphics card by all means. Just my P" worth feel free to ignore.

I have no idea about this, except that previously, when playing FM, something always had to be sacrificed; there was always a balance to be maintained to meet my laptop's needs and capacity, i.e., it wasn't how I wanted it to be. Although there was money to spend, with a little more consideration, I might not have gotten into situations like this where, after purchasing the laptop, I had to wonder if it was powerful enough to hold the game. Now, I will say this to ensure that I have no doubts about whether this laptop can hold FM to its full potential after the purchase. I want to consider everything carefully before making the purchase to avoid any regrets later on.

Edited by raktim0699

35 minutes ago, raktim0699 said:

I have no idea about this, except that previously, when playing FM, something always had to be sacrificed; there was always a balance to be maintained to meet my laptop's needs and capacity, i.e., it wasn't how I wanted it to be. Although there was money to spend, with a little more consideration, I might not have gotten into situations like this where, after purchasing the laptop, I had to wonder if it was powerful enough to hold the game. Now, I will say this to ensure that I have no doubts about whether this laptop can hold FM to its full potential after the purchase. I want to consider everything carefully before making the purchase to avoid any regrets later on.

As said, best to wait for FM25 to be out and then see the specs they say should work. I know if you lack the experience to understand it can be hard to avoid making buying mistakes, esp when you have places selling what are in effect cut down versions of processors and graphics cards of better machines. But that's, from what I understand, this thread is all about. If you have issues post them, there are some talented people on here who will be able to dianoise what the issues is and where to look. But if you want to go the route of throwing money at it then fair enough.

For ref I play FM24 with all leagues loaded on my laptop MSI PE62 8RC - 8th Gen i7 875-H - 16bg 2400 MHz DDR4-SDRAM - 2GB Nvidia GTX 1050 - I play in windowed mode, all fast options but I turn the crowd details down and sound off. While playing I have MusicBee playing music and the web browser open with 2 email accounts & one news feed open. I don't suffer any delays that make the game less enjoyable. Tend to run the games in comprehensive.

Hi! I've two laptops and wanted to check which might be better for FM24?

Laptop 1
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-10510U Processor 1.8 GHz (8M Cache, up to 4.9 GHz, 4 cores)
Video Card: NVIDIA® GeForce® MX330 2GB GDDR5
RAM: 8GB DDR4 on board

Laptop 2:
CPU: AMD 7540U
Video Card: None
RAM: 16GB LP5X 6400

22 minutes ago, CapitalismReimagined said:

Laptop 1
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-10510U Processor 1.8 GHz (8M Cache, up to 4.9 GHz, 4 cores)

Laptop 2:

Both are not great but without testing and with little research I would suggest the AMD would be better because it's 3 times as fast at processing. However gameplay in matches might see the other card perform much better there. So either slow processing results or lag during playing out games. 2D the AMD would win easy imo.

3 hours ago, CapitalismReimagined said:

Laptop 1

Laptop 2:

The second one would process the game a fair bit quicker, the first one would allow you to play at higher graphics settings without frame rate issues, so it really depends on which is more important for you out of faster processing or better visuals in the match engine,

7 hours ago, CapitalismReimagined said:

Laptop 1

Laptop 2:

2nd for me

Graphics would likely be sameish.

15 hours ago, Delicate Dave said:

Both are not great but without testing and with little research I would suggest the AMD would be better because it's 3 times as fast at processing. However gameplay in matches might see the other card perform much better there. So either slow processing results or lag during playing out games. 2D the AMD would win easy imo.

12 hours ago, kevhamster said:

The second one would process the game a fair bit quicker, the first one would allow you to play at higher graphics settings without frame rate issues, so it really depends on which is more important for you out of faster processing or better visuals in the match engine,

8 hours ago, Smurf said:

2nd for me

Graphics would likely be sameish.

Thank you for your advice!

Posted (edited)

Hiya guys. I am hoping someone in here can help me.

I am looking for a new gaming laptop. I know a gaming pc is better but I prefer a laptop as it is easier for me to use. 

The gaming laptop I have at the moment was one I bought 3 years a go which is a Lenovo Legion 82JU laptop but the fan has burnt out I think as the performance of the laptop has gone downhill lately.

This is the specs for the Lenevo Legion - https://www.ballicom.co.uk/82ju00pwuk-lenovo-legion-5-15ach6h.p1528462.html

I have up to £2,000 to spend on a new laptop.

I mostly play FM24 and also TEW 2020 but neither need massive graphics card but I am also going to start playing GTA. 

I also stream and create videos on Youtube so I need something with a good webcam but I do have another USB webcam so it isn't that important.

Can someone recommend me a gaming laptop that is better then what I have now please so I feel like I am getting an improvement. 

Please no MAC computer suggestions.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Preferably from a trusted company like Currys so I can just walk in and buy it as I need to get a new cooker as well.

Edited by Ronaldo Beckham

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

I am looking for a new gaming laptop. I know a gaming pc is better but I prefer a laptop as it is easier for me to use. 

The gaming laptop I have at the moment was one I bought 3 years a go which is a Lenovo Legion 82JU laptop but the fan has burnt out I think as the performance of the laptop has gone downhill lately.

This is the specs for the Lenevo Legion - https://www.ballicom.co.uk/82ju00pwuk-lenovo-legion-5-15ach6h.p1528462.html

I mostly play FM24 and also TEW 2020 but neither need massive graphics card but I am also going to start playing GTA. 

I also stream and create videos on Youtube so I need something with a good webcam but I do have another USB webcam so it isn't that important.

Can someone recommend me a gaming laptop that is better then what I have now please so I feel like I am getting an improvement. 

Preferably from a trusted company like Currys so I can just walk in and buy it as I need to get a new cooker as well.

If that's the spec you currently have, my initial suggestion would be to just get the fan repaired.  That's still a good spec by current standards.

However, if your preference is to just buy a new laptop, then this is a good choice: https://currys.co.uk/products/msi-katana-b13v-15.6-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i9-rtx-4060-1-tb-ssd-10254228.htm

I will repeat though, I'd definitely see if a repair is possible as a first option.

Edited by kevhamster

45 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

If that's the spec you currently have, my initial suggestion would be to just get the fan repaired.  That's still a good spec by current standards.

However, if your preference is to just buy a new laptop, then this is a good choice: https://currys.co.uk/products/msi-katana-b13v-15.6-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i9-rtx-4060-1-tb-ssd-10254228.htm

I will repeat though, I'd definitely see if a repair is possible as a first option.

There is a lot of aesthetic damage to the mousepad, keyboard etc so I would prefer to get a new laptop. I appreciate what you are saying and I will keep my current laptop as a spare laptop.

I will look at the link you posted. Thank you.

47 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

When I click on the link it just says error. 

How much was the one you recommended because when I put in msi katana in the currys website it has 5 results with different prices.

50 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

Is it this one ?

image.thumb.png.9d5e94421859bbcdedbd36bb6c758d1e.png

3 minutes ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Is it this one ?

image.thumb.png.9d5e94421859bbcdedbd36bb6c758d1e.png

Yeah, that's the one.  Not sure how I stuffed up posting a link!!  Sorry about that!

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

I would support @kevhamster's suggestion, though I thought I should mention that if you are creating videos for Youtube regularly you may benefit from a more powerful GPU to get them done a bit faster. It should also improve things for GTA. Maybe: https://www.currys.co.uk/products/msi-vector-16-hx-a13vhg-16-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i9-rtx-4080-1-tb-ssd-10260205.html?istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istFeedId=2f489429-2329-4fcd-941a-a6a497a10e1d&istItemId=mwpqlaxxr&istBid=t&awaid=1599&utm_source=redbrain&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=css&sv1=affiliate&sv_campaign_id=176013&awc=1599_1717748813_61e296750e90f05b952a40a3ff739536&srcid=369&xtor=AL-1&cmpid=aff~Redbrain~Comparison Shopping Service (CSS)~176013~Redbrain+Ltd&sv1=affiliate&sv_campaign_id=176013  ?

Edited by Gangor

20 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Well, I would repair but if that's out the question, the MSI is a decent option and would be a different world to what you already have in terms of performance. One tip to save wear on the fingerpad is when you get the laptop new stick some wide sellotape over the pad. If you cut it neatly it's not noticed. I started doing this many years ago when I almost dug a hole in the plastic over time. I also sellotape over the labels on the back so the print doesn't rub off.

14 minutes ago, Delicate Dave said:

Well, I would repair but if that's out the question, the MSI is a decent option and would be a different world to what you already have in terms of performance. One tip to save wear on the fingerpad is when you get the laptop new stick some wide sellotape over the pad. If you cut it neatly it's not noticed. I started doing this many years ago when I almost dug a hole in the plastic over time. I also sellotape over the labels on the back so the print doesn't rub off.

Ok cheers mate much appreciated.

30 minutes ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Thank you for the suggestion. 

Am I getting much more for the £500 difference?

Just a more powerful GPU. It will make no difference at all for FM, but it should encode videos noticeably faster.

Just now, Gangor said:

Just a more powerful GPU. It will make no difference at all for FM, but it should encode videos noticeably faster.

Ok cool. I did actually googled a comparison on the two and the Vector is a lot better. 

Thank you for the suggestion.

2 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Another question I want to know is does everyone get cover for their laptop because Curry's are offering accidental cover for £11.50 a month which aint too bad. 

Is it a waste of money or a good thing to get?

I have used the previous "Anything Happens" cover from Currys which included Accidental Damage for laptops, and have needed to use it multiple times, but then I also had young kids around which caused a few of the said incidents!

It always did what it said on the tin when I needed to use it, so if you feel there's a chance you may need to call on it, it may be a good idea.

57 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

I have used the previous "Anything Happens" cover from Currys which included Accidental Damage for laptops, and have needed to use it multiple times, but then I also had young kids around which caused a few of the said incidents!

It always did what it said on the tin when I needed to use it, so if you feel there's a chance you may need to call on it, it may be a good idea.

Yeah I think I will. Cheers buddy.

23 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Another question I want to know is does everyone get cover for their laptop because Curry's are offering accidental cover for £11.50 a month which aint too bad. 

Is it a waste of money or a good thing to get?

NO NO NO ! if you want to insure you laptop do it with the house insurance but its already covered for loss and damage on that probably anyway. These shop "assurance" scenes are a total rip off. I know, I worked for a company that designed the software for them. You could if you wanted to,  put money away each week in savings to pay for any repairs later. If it doesn't break then you have a lump sum start to buy your next one or an holiday :-)

24 minutes ago, Delicate Dave said:

NO NO NO ! if you want to insure you laptop do it with the house insurance but its already covered for loss and damage on that probably anyway. These shop "assurance" scenes are a total rip off. I know, I worked for a company that designed the software for them. You could if you wanted to,  put money away each week in savings to pay for any repairs later. If it doesn't break then you have a lump sum start to buy your next one or an holiday :-)

Difference being claiming on the house insurance will lead to your premiums increasing and being perceived as a higher insurance risk (source: I work in insurance claims). You won't get  issues of that nature buying the gadget cover. 

3 hours ago, Delicate Dave said:

2 hours ago, kevhamster said:

Difference being claiming on the house insurance will lead to your premiums increasing and being perceived as a higher insurance risk (source: I work in insurance claims). You won't get  issues of that nature buying the gadget cover. 

download.jpg.f3afca2253571234b472046ef2c6288e.jpg

7 hours ago, kevhamster said:

That's the class half-full view from the salesman speech. The real-life view is I can tell you the exact percentage it was in the 1990s that 2.7% less than 3 in 100 of those people who take them out make a claim. To put that in perspective you have more chance of dying in an accident while traveling on a bus in the UK than claiming for a laptop repair.

2 minutes ago, Delicate Dave said:

That's the class half-full view from the salesman speech. The real-life view is I can tell you the exact percentage it was in the 1990s that 2.7% less than 3 in 100 of those people who take them out make a claim. To put that in perspective you have more chance of dying in an accident while traveling on a bus in the UK than claiming for a laptop repair.

I'm no salesman. I was just giving my perspective from the point of view of someone who has both used the previous version of Currys cover myself, and someone who currently handles insurance claims, albeit in a different field than home or gadget cover. 

In what way would I personally benefit from someone buying Currys cover for their laptop? I'm literally just sharing my own experience and I don't appreciate the insinuation that there's any underhanded intention on my part. 

5 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

download.jpg.f3afca2253571234b472046ef2c6288e.jpg

Sorry for the confusion mate. Ultimately, these sorts of things are your call. As I've Delicate Dave may well be right in that a relatively small number of people claim, I can't be sure. The figures he quoted are from the 90s, and I can't verify them or state whether or not they bear any resemblance to current stats or not. 

What I can tell you is I've used the previous version of the Currys cover for multiple repairs that would not have fallen under normal warranty.  That's just my own personal experience, other people may have other experiences of the product, good or bad. 

And yes it is also true it may be covered under home insurance - check your schedule and policy. But it is also true even a relatively small claim on home insurance will impact future premiums and will increase your insurance risk profile - you have to declare claims for a certain amount of years after making them when getting new quotes (number of years will likely vary from insurer to insurer). 

As I said mate, entirely your decision.  If you're a clumsy arse like me, some form of accidental damage cover may well be a good idea, especially when spending over a grand on a laptop. 

I'm no salesman. I was just giving my perspective from the point of view of someone who has both used the previous version of Currys cover myself, and someone who currently handles insurance claims, albeit in a different field than home or gadget cover. 

In what way would I personally benefit from someone buying Currys cover for their laptop? I'm literally just sharing my own experience and I don't appreciate the insinuation that there's any underhanded intention on my part. 

I didn't say what you think I said. Your opinion is as valid as mine, All I said is that's what a salesman would say. The fact you were lucky (in some respect) to benefit from the cover clouds your judgment. As I say 3 in 100 benefit. 

Sorry for the confusion mate. Ultimately, these sorts of things are your call. As I've Delicate Dave may well be right in that a relatively small number of people claim, I can't be sure. The figures he quoted are from the 90s, and I can't verify them or state whether or not they bear any resemblance to current stats or not. 

What I can tell you is I've used the previous version of the Currys cover for multiple repairs that would not have fallen under normal warranty.  That's just my own personal experience, other people may have other experiences of the product, good or bad. 

And yes it is also true it may be covered under home insurance - check your schedule and policy. But it is also true even a relatively small claim on home insurance will impact future premiums and will increase your insurance risk profile - you have to declare claims for a certain amount of years after making them when getting new quotes (number of years will likely vary from insurer to insurer). 

As I said mate, entirely your decision.  If you're a clumsy arse like me, some form of accidental damage cover may well be a good idea, especially when spending over a grand on a laptop. 

This might help, I've not read but the first bit so if it proves me wrong fine but it's another voice for you mate - https://www.which.co.uk/news/article/worthless-warranties-are-you-overpaying-for-faulty-goods-cover-aMZVW0X0eSLn

13 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

I will get cover to be on the safe side and also get my girlfriend to add my laptop to her house insurance.

I bought cover for my smartphone - which got damaged when I was smashed off my motorbike in a hit and run and the phone was destroyed. They never did find the driver and I didn't want to go through my insurance - so I had to pay for repairs to the bike out of my own pocket. 

The hassle to get the replacement phone was out of this world, it was so awkward and difficult to make a claim that I just ended up buying a new phone and more money out of my own pocket. 

I've never bought a warranty/guarantee/cover for anything since - it totally put me off. 

I have never needed cover for my phone/laptop/etc. I work in graphic design, so having a good phone/laptop/computers/etc are a must. I've never bought any additional cover. 

Personally, I think it's a waste of money and a waste of time.

42 minutes ago, Smurf said:

I bought cover for my smartphone - which got damaged when I was smashed off my motorbike in a hit and run and the phone was destroyed. They never did find the driver and I didn't want to go through my insurance - so I had to pay for repairs to the bike out of my own pocket. 

The hassle to get the replacement phone was out of this world, it was so awkward and difficult to make a claim that I just ended up buying a new phone and more money out of my own pocket. 

I've never bought a warranty/guarantee/cover for anything since - it totally put me off. 

I have never needed cover for my phone/laptop/etc. I work in graphic design, so having a good phone/laptop/computers/etc are a must. I've never bought any additional cover. 

Personally, I think it's a waste of money and a waste of time.

You reallly need to read the full conditions of the policy, but of course, you never get the time and often the salespeople don't even understand what they are selling. They'll say all sorts of rubbish to sell these policies because they get a bonus or need to maintain a level to keep their job. People are sold warranties for 20% of the cost the item and all it does if give them an extra year on their rights. Others think they are being sold accident insurance but it turns out it's just a warranty. My own story is a long time ago from what used to be Dixsons, I bought a 286 computer and was sold "assurance" except when I came to claim they refused because I was self-employed. They didn't give me back all my payments though. Most insurance is the same as walking into a bookmaker to place a bet. The odds are very much in their favour but nowhere near as good as an insurence companys.

The other point is that regardless of what they tell you the warranty is, you're also protected by consumer law. If a product develops a fault within a "reasonable time" you might also be entitled to some recompense, whether still in warranty or not.

I can get this pc for 900 EUR, it is used but only half a year old and comes with warranty for all products for at least a year and a half.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5600 BOX

COOLER: ID-Cooling hladnjak SE-224-XTS

MBO: ASROCK B550 Phantom Gaming 4

RAM: SP Zenith DDR4 2x8GB 3200MhZ

GPU: XFX RX6950XT Merc319 Black 16GB

SSD: KINGSTON KC3000 1024GB M.2

PSU: NZXT C850W 80+ GOLD

CASE: Phanteks Eclipse G300A TG ARGB

Is it a good deal and would it be future proof for whatever changes come to football manager?

Edited by TheVerySpecialOne

4 hours ago, TheVerySpecialOne said:

I can get this pc for 900 EUR, it is used but only half a year old and comes with warranty for all products for at least a year and a half.

Is it a good deal and would it be future proof for whatever changes come to football manager?

Yes, that's a decent price as long as it's all in working order!

We don't have system requirements for FM25 yet, but I'd be very surprised if that wasn't absolutely fine for it.

On 10/06/2024 at 09:14, TheVerySpecialOne said:

The GPU is extreme overkill for both FM and the rest of this configuration. Other than that this is perfectly fine.

Edit: Just noticed the price - this could well be in the "too good to be true" category as this should probably closer to twice as much. 

Edited by Gangor