FM24 - PC/Laptop advice thread *** PLEASE READ OPENING POST BEFORE POSTING ***

Hi,

Do we think a combo of NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 6GB GDDR6 & Intel Core i7-13700H is going to be sufficient for a laptop that's not going to see any gaming other than Football Manager?

I'm looking at an IdeaPad Pro 5i Laptop - 16in 2.5K screen. Not a fan of 1080p at that size.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, CoffeeKittyGrey said:

Hi,

Do we think a combo of NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 6GB GDDR6 & Intel Core i7-13700H is going to be sufficient for a laptop that's not going to see any gaming other than Football Manager?

I'm looking at an IdeaPad Pro 5i Laptop - 16in 2.5K screen. Not a fan of 1080p at that size.

It's better than what I use currently, just depends on how long you want it to last. We don't know the specs for FM25 but I'm sure it's not going to rock the boat to much. However, if you are looking to FM26 and on then you might have to compromise on some aspects of the game maybe. I myself would prefer to spend £150 every few years on used laptops then £500-£2000 in one lump and hope it lasts. As for 1080p well does anyone play FM for the graphics?  I think if the price it right you'll be fine.

Edited by Delicate Dave

1 hour ago, CoffeeKittyGrey said:

Hi,

47 minutes ago, Delicate Dave said:

It's better than what I use currently, just depends on how long you want it to last. We don't know the specs for FM25 but I'm sure it's not going to rock the boat to much. However, if you are looking to FM26 and on then you might have to compromise on some aspects of the game maybe. I myself would prefer to spend £150 every few years on used laptops then £500-£2000 in one lump and hope it lasts. As for 1080p well does anyone play FM for the graphics?  I think if the price it right you'll be fine.

To add to what Dave has said, it's definitely fine for FM24.  Excellent CPU and the GPU is more than capable of playing FM24 at max graphics settings.  FM25 is unknown currently as we don't have minimum specs for it yet, and the recent blog post from Miles suggests they're some way from giving that info.  My gut feeling is that it will likely be absolutely fine, but until we see actual concrete info from SI on this front its impossible to say for certain.

Yeah, thanks @kevhamster & @Delicate Dave.

I'm in that awkward place where my XPS13 has died and I'm struggling without a laptop, I really wanted to wait as long as possible so that FM25 as well as Next Gen Intel and AMD processors were out and reviews for spec/benchmarks before spending money. The important thing being the need for a dGPU for FM25.

I've a horrible feeling I'm going to need to wait rather than buy a new laptop now, rather than buy something that needs to last 3yrs but won't run FM.

It's also difficult to find a laptop that isn't a bulky 'gamer-laptop' where I can have slim and powerful without all the RGB on a slab with lights and logos all over it.

10 minutes ago, CoffeeKittyGrey said:

I'm in that awkward place where my XPS13 has died and I'm struggling without a laptop, I really wanted to wait as long as possible so that FM25 as well as Next Gen Intel and AMD processors were out and reviews for spec/benchmarks before spending money. The important thing being the need for a dGPU for FM25.

I've a horrible feeling I'm going to need to wait rather than buy a new laptop now, rather than buy something that needs to last 3yrs but won't run FM.

It's also difficult to find a laptop that isn't a bulky 'gamer-laptop' where I can have slim and powerful without all the RGB on a slab with lights and logos all over it.

The need for a dedicated graphics card is an assumption at this point, but it's one we're using to err on the side of caution.

7 hours ago, Smurf said:

Thank you for those two.

I have looked a fair bit at the Omen but the main thing that concerned me is the screen only being 250nits.

Is that going to be bright enough? 

It is slightly larger than my current 15.6 but not by much and to be honest I'm not too worried about portability!

4 minutes ago, tcoleman1 said:

Thank you for those two.

I have looked a fair bit at the Omen but the main thing that concerned me is the screen only being 250nits.

Is that going to be bright enough? 

It is slightly larger than my current 15.6 but not by much and to be honest I'm not too worried about portability!

Only you can decide if it's bright enough for you.  This is quite a subjective thing.

8 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

Only you can decide if it's bright enough for you.  This is quite a subjective thing.

Yeah that makes complete sense.

I guess I do like a brighter screen myself but obviously understand laptops with better/brighter screens at my price point will be have weaker specs elsewhere.

1 hour ago, tcoleman1 said:

Yeah that makes complete sense.

I guess I do like a brighter screen myself but obviously understand laptops with better/brighter screens at my price point will be have weaker specs elsewhere.

If it's for FM then the screen brightness would be my least concern.
The processor I posted is the best for that price point. I'd go with that.

2 hours ago, CoffeeKittyGrey said:

What's wrong with the XPS, I have a lot of experience fixing these so might be able advice on the fix. 

2 hours ago, CoffeeKittyGrey said:

What's your budget? 

On 08/07/2024 at 06:16, Smurf said:

Thank you again for these.

I'm considering upping the budget slightly (taking into account very's 20% credit and 10% off) and going for this:

https://www.very.co.uk/hp-omen-16-xd0001na-laptop-16in-fhdnbspgeforce-rtx-4060-amd-ryzen-7-16gb-ram-1tb-ssd-black/1600906531.prd

I know brightness isn't the biggest thing for FM etc but would like a a brighter screen for when I do occasionally watch films etc.

Is that one a good choice if the budget goes up to £1199? Obivously only if bought through very!

33 minutes ago, tcoleman1 said:

I'm considering upping the budget slightly (taking into account very's 20% credit and 10% off) and going for this:

https://www.very.co.uk/hp-omen-16-xd0001na-laptop-16in-fhdnbspgeforce-rtx-4060-amd-ryzen-7-16gb-ram-1tb-ssd-black/1600906531.prd

I know brightness isn't the biggest thing for FM etc but would like a a brighter screen for when I do occasionally watch films etc.

Is that one a good choice if the budget goes up to £1199? Obivously only if bought through very!

It's an extra £300 when the main difference is the graphics card, and I don't think it's a particularly good deal compared to the other one.

The caveat is we don't have system specs for FM25 yet so you may want to pay the extra for an extra safety net in that regard.  I'd be surprised if the 4050 wasn't sufficient for FM25 once that comes out, but I can't guarantee it.

3 hours ago, tcoleman1 said:

That gets you double the storage and a slightly better (barely) graphics card.

If you want to up your budget consider this one

Same as the one you linked to - except the processor is much better
https://www.very.co.uk/asus-tuf-gaming-a16-fa607pv-qt022w-laptop-16in-fhd-165hz-rtx-4060-amd-ryzen-9-16gb-ram-1tb-fast-ssd-storage/1600986647.prd

Looking at various models on VERY the one linked above is top of the list

image.png.235fa1ce9d06281ff7445e5981d9901d.png

You'll notice the TDP is quite high on the top one - it's 55 - which would mean when not plugged in may drain battery quickly, And it may get hotter - so a good laptop cooler is always recommended no matter what you pick - as it keeps the laptop off the surface and helps reduce dust build up.

Perfect as a desktop replacement and plugged in etc.

If you're going to be away from an outlet and not plugged in a lot - then consider the Ryzen 9 7940HS

All those processors give great experience for FM. 

And the middle of the road is of course the i9-13900HK - which gives a good balance of travel and plugged in.

Each are good for FM - it's up to you on how you plan to use the laptop.

If it was me it would be desktop replacement (plugged in all the time) so top processor for me.

6 hours ago, kevhamster said:

It's an extra £300 when the main difference is the graphics card, and I don't think it's a particularly good deal compared to the other one.

The caveat is we don't have system specs for FM25 yet so you may want to pay the extra for an extra safety net in that regard.  I'd be surprised if the 4050 wasn't sufficient for FM25 once that comes out, but I can't guarantee it.

3 hours ago, Smurf said:

That gets you double the storage and a slightly better (barely) graphics card.

If you want to up your budget consider this one

Same as the one you linked to - except the processor is much better
https://www.very.co.uk/asus-tuf-gaming-a16-fa607pv-qt022w-laptop-16in-fhd-165hz-rtx-4060-amd-ryzen-9-16gb-ram-1tb-fast-ssd-storage/1600986647.prd

Looking at various models on VERY the one linked above is top of the list

image.png.235fa1ce9d06281ff7445e5981d9901d.png

You'll notice the TDP is quite high on the top one - it's 55 - which would mean when not plugged in may drain battery quickly, And it may get hotter - so a good laptop cooler is always recommended no matter what you pick - as it keeps the laptop off the surface and helps reduce dust build up.

Perfect as a desktop replacement and plugged in etc.

If you're going to be away from an outlet and not plugged in a lot - then consider the Ryzen 9 7940HS

All those processors give great experience for FM. 

And the middle of the road is of course the i9-13900HK - which gives a good balance of travel and plugged in.

Each are good for FM - it's up to you on how you plan to use the laptop.

If it was me it would be desktop replacement (plugged in all the time) so top processor for me.

Thank you both for the replies. It has given me a lot to think about.

I have spent the last hour looking at the Asus TUF A16 but there seems to be a bit of a contradiction on the very website. It describes the screen as a Full HD 165hz in the main title and again further down but under the sylish design heading with the bullet points it states '2.5K resolution 165Hz G-SYNC display'.

The model number listed on very is FA607PV-QT022W which matches the model number listed on the Asus website (link below -2nd one down) which also states it has a 2.5k resolution screen.

https://www.asus.com/uk/laptops/for-gaming/tuf-gaming/asus-tuf-gaming-a16-2024/where-to-buy/

The link on that website to buy actually takes you to the very websitr as one of the options.

I guess my question is, what screen does it have? As if it is the above then that seems like a really good deal.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, daveygravy84 said:

Hello again, I posted the other day about a pc, I've just found this for fm or minecraft, will it be good for a few years?

https://www.fiercepc.co.uk/amd-ryzen-5-7500f-nvidia-rtx-4060-custom-gaming-pc

Also do most people use laptops for fm? I haven't got much room, pc would be hooked up to a TV, the fan noise bothers me with laptops

Should be fine for FM and Minecraft - hard to say 100% with FM given the system requirements increase which will happen with FM25, however I'd be very surprised if a 4060 wasn't over and above the recommended requirements.

Some people use a laptop, some use a desktop.  It's all personal preference.

Edited by kevhamster

7 hours ago, tcoleman1 said:

I have spent the last hour looking at the Asus TUF A16 but there seems to be a bit of a contradiction on the very website. It describes the screen as a Full HD 165hz in the main title and again further down but under the sylish design heading with the bullet points it states '2.5K resolution 165Hz G-SYNC display'.

The model number listed on very is FA607PV-QT022W which matches the model number listed on the Asus website (link below -2nd one down) which also states it has a 2.5k resolution screen.

https://www.asus.com/uk/laptops/for-gaming/tuf-gaming/asus-tuf-gaming-a16-2024/where-to-buy/

The link on that website to buy actually takes you to the very websitr as one of the options.

I guess my question is, what screen does it have? As if it is the above then that seems like a really good deal.

That link to the Asus website shows 3 models and only 1 matches that of the VERY site
image.png.172e486d8edd8b451185897f2136aeba.png

It's described on the Asus site as having that Display. You can contact Asus and request the information for that model and point out the discrepency

2.5K resolution is not the same as Full HD.

• Full HD (FHD): 1920 x 1080 pixels
  • 2.5K (QHD+): 2560 x 1600 pixels

The 2.5K resolution offers a higher pixel count, resulting in a sharper and clearer display compared to Full HD

4 hours ago, CoffeeKittyGrey said:

Up to about £1500

I'd say most computers in that range would be sufficient for most games 

Are you looking for it to be a desktop replacement (plugged in most of the time)

or to travel with (be unplugged while playing)

Any preference where to buy from?

Is it just for FM or is it for other things?

3 hours ago, Smurf said:

I'd say most computers in that range would be sufficient for most games 

Are you looking for it to be a desktop replacement (plugged in most of the time)

or to travel with (be unplugged while playing)

Any preference where to buy from?

Is it just for FM or is it for other things?

Not as such, if I'm going to game, it'll be on the Desktop, I use a laptop for work, the accounts, for photography, home budgeting and organisation and have typically had a Dell XPS/Surface Book with higher end spec because I can take FM with me and hit bite size chunks, I've got a wee baby daughter so there's less desktop now too and my XPS 13 (Which was always too small really) has died. Well, I knelt on it, and it bent like 'Geller'd' spoon. I don't have time to sit at a PC for FM anymore, especially when a season in 1999 used to take an evening and now it's about a month :cool:

Preference comes down to not having free cash anymore. Babies are expensive it turns out. I'll finance it i imagine, so either 0% via Finance or Paypal probably. I don't like using Credit Cards and acruing interest. Normally I'd stick £250 a month aside, but little Coffee either grows out of clothes or trashes them with food/nursery at a rate that exceeds my ability to save. :D

I could also use Very? I've got an account with about £4000 credit on that's only ever used for BNPL baby stuff and appliances.

But yeah, FM is the only game I'll ever play on it. The XPS was great, but the Iris XE graphics really started to struggle by FM24 and I'd like something that's going to hopefully hold up until FM26/7.

I can't see SI suddenly taking a game that's so popular on laptops and making its demands such that you need a desktop - just look at the popularity of this thread after all, but they are also going to have to pander to the "needs to look like FIFA/Bambi on Ice" brigade so I'm certain that iGPU is no longer an option.

I'm mostly scouting 15", i7-13700##/Ryzen 9 7940## or above with at least 16GB of RAM and a Gen 4 SSD, Wifi 6/6E which is all easy enough, but I'm not familiar at all with mobile GPU's. 

Edit: looking at Very, this seems like a decent option without looking like a kids RGB gaming rig: https://www.very.co.uk/asus-vivobook-pro-15-laptop-156in-fhd-amd-ryzen-9-geforce-rtx-4060nbsp16gb-ramnbsp512gb-ssd-m6500xv-lp036w-blue/1600910786.prd Obviously VERY will pretend it's actually £1599 and reduced, but they do this with all of them, as do other retailers, so I ignore the fictitious savings, it's £1000 on Asus and other retailers and has been for ages without a pretend discount. Could probably just get it on Asus direct with Paypal, but I'll also need to scout Blue Light Card discounts as they can be handy too.

Edited by CoffeeKittyGrey
Waffling....

On 08/07/2024 at 15:49, Delicate Dave said:

What's wrong with the XPS, I have a lot of experience fixing these so might be able advice on the fix. 

I knelt on it. Thus fracturing the screen and case. An expensive lack of care on my part.

12 hours ago, tcoleman1 said:

You have to be careful at places like Very which have the buying power to ask manufacturers to produce different models just for them. Or they'll buy a dump from the manufacturer. Always check the model number and even ask the manufacturer if the is a difference. That's why going to a computer supplier is often better.

8 minutes ago, CoffeeKittyGrey said:

I knelt on it. Thus fracturing the screen and case. An expensive lack of care on my part.

You can get replacements for those parts. Parts maybe cost you £100 to fix, I done that on 3 XPS 15s and each time buying at laptop with a MB fault cost less than £100 on eBay.  I may still have a case but it would be a 15 not 13. Swopping out the MB is not hard at all on these, worst part about them it DELL's poxy idea for screws.

Also check that you can't claim of your house insurance if you have that.

Edited by Delicate Dave

4 hours ago, Smurf said:

That link to the Asus website shows 3 models and only 1 matches that of the VERY site
image.png.172e486d8edd8b451185897f2136aeba.png

It's described on the Asus site as having that Display. You can contact Asus and request the information for that model and point out the discrepency

2.5K resolution is not the same as Full HD.

• Full HD (FHD): 1920 x 1080 pixels
  • 2.5K (QHD+): 2560 x 1600 pixels

The 2.5K resolution offers a higher pixel count, resulting in a sharper and clearer display compared to Full HD

26 minutes ago, Delicate Dave said:

You have to be careful at places like Very which have the buying power to ask manufacturers to produce different models just for them. Or they'll buy a dump from the manufacturer. Always check the model number and even ask the manufacturer if the is a difference. That's why going to a computer supplier is often better.

Yeah I am going to double check the website and try and contact Asus if I can.

I have also now seen the Zephyrus M16 on there as well which is only another £50 up from the TUF.

My only concerns with the two is battery life,, potential fan noise and heat.

The laptop won't be permanently in one place and will most likely always be used on my lap (with a tray/cooling tray). I will always be pretty much next to a plug though so plugging in won't he an issue if battery life isn't great while playing FM.

In terms of fan noise again I imagine it's personal preference to what different people can tolerate but considering pretty much all I'll play I'd FM I won't have headphones on drowning it out like you might when doing 'proper' gaming, so I might have to consider that.

Extra 10% ends tomorrow so I've got some thinking to do and also keep trying to justify spending that much to myself 😂

Edited by tcoleman1

46 minutes ago, tcoleman1 said:

I have also now seen the Zephyrus M16 on there as well which is only another £50 up from the TUF.

The laptop won't be permanently in one place and will most likely always be used on my lap (with a tray/cooling tray). I will always be pretty much next to a plug though so plugging in won't he an issue if battery life isn't great while playing FM.

In terms of fan noise again I imagine it's personal preference to what different people can tolerate but considering pretty much all I'll play I'd FM I won't have headphones on drowning it out like you might when doing 'proper' gaming, so I might have to consider that.

Extra 10% ends tomorrow so I've got some thinking to do and also keep trying to justify spending that much to myself 😂

Go for the best processor - you can always upgrade RAM and SSD 

You won't be able to change the processor or graphics card (usually) - but RAM and SSD are usually upgradable.

If you're by a plug and have a laptop cooler then heat and noise probably won't be an issue.

2 hours ago, tcoleman1 said:

This is why I like my MSI it has a regular fan, which I hardly hear when on but it also as a button that turns on another fan so if I hear the first I turn the second one on to help. 

1 hour ago, Smurf said:

Quality make of laptop too.

Although I agree, of course I do it's what I use, I wouldn't like to give the impression that they are the best made. Certainly for me the best value but you need to look after them as I tend to find the plastics are not great. Mind you the build quality of Dell is hard to match but I have learned for all that they are the worst value on the market. I like HP & ASUS too, and probably wouldn't stray away from MSI, HP & ASUS after all I've learned since I bought my ZX spectrum on the first day of release :-) 

5 hours ago, Smurf said:

Go for the best processor - you can always upgrade RAM and SSD 

You won't be able to change the processor or graphics card (usually) - but RAM and SSD are usually upgradable.

If you're by a plug and have a laptop cooler then heat and noise probably won't be an issue.

Any recommendations for good coolers? There are obviously tonnes on amazon but anyone with any first hand experience with any would be appreciated!

2 hours ago, tcoleman1 said:

Any recommendations for good coolers? There are obviously tonnes on amazon but anyone with any first hand experience with any would be appreciated!

Get the laptop and see where the fans are located or what spots get warm - then pick a cooler that has fans in around those areas. 

It will depend.

Evening everyone,

Looking for some help please - I'm looking for a steer as to the best <£550 (£600 at a push) laptops which will run FM24 please.  That's all my son wants it for so although he would love a high spec machine, he and I know that's not going to be possible.  I mistakenly thought a Chromebook would run it OK but this has proved a costly mistake and in all honesty, I've lost confidence in my ability to choose a machine that works! Any help or advice very welcome! Am I right in thinking that i need an AMD Ryzen CPU with 16GB and at least 256GB storage?  

9 minutes ago, Caz123 said:

Evening everyone,

Looking for some help please - I'm looking for a steer as to the best <£550 (£600 at a push) laptops which will run FM24 please.  That's all my son wants it for so although he would love a high spec machine, he and I know that's not going to be possible.  I mistakenly thought a Chromebook would run it OK but this has proved a costly mistake and in all honesty, I've lost confidence in my ability to choose a machine that works! Any help or advice very welcome! Am I right in thinking that i need an AMD Ryzen CPU with 16GB and at least 256GB storage?  

Ryzen or Intel
8gb would be ok - 16gb is better
But you can increase the RAM from 8 to 16 over time - it's very simple to do for an amateur or even a laptop tech anywhere

256gb storage is nothing - need min 512gb - or preference 1TB these days

That being said
The one found happens to be a Ryzen
https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/medion-crawler-e25-amd-ryzen-5-5600h-rtx-3050-8gb-ram-512ssd-fhd-144hz-15.6-30033286/version.asp

And the RAM and HardDrive (SSD) can be increased at a later time. 

7 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Ryzen or Intel
8gb would be ok - 16gb is better
But you can increase the RAM from 8 to 16 over time - it's very simple to do for an amateur or even a laptop tech anywhere

256gb storage is nothing - need min 512gb - or preference 1TB these days

That being said
The one found happens to be a Ryzen
https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/medion-crawler-e25-amd-ryzen-5-5600h-rtx-3050-8gb-ram-512ssd-fhd-144hz-15.6-30033286/version.asp

And the RAM and HardDrive (SSD) can be increased at a later time. 

Thank you - that's given me something to think about.  Thank you for taking the time to reply

1 hour ago, Caz123 said:

Thank you - that's given me something to think about.  Thank you for taking the time to reply

Me again - Couple of options that I'd really appreciate a yay or nay on.

https://amzn.eu/d/07zx9wcN

https://amzn.eu/d/034BFuYu

https://amzn.eu/d/0j2luGOu

https://amzn.eu/d/0a8P1qCd

https://amzn.eu/d/087KyYMX

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/hp-pavilion-15eh1507sa-15.6-laptop-amd-ryzen-5-512-gb-ssd-natural-silver-10250856.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/lenovo-ideapad-3i-15.6-laptop-intel-core-i7-512-gb-ssd-blue-10239688.html

Edited by Caz123

Well, i'm also in the market for a new computer. "Mostly" to play FM as running it on my current machine is mostly a pain. I'm also in uni studying Computer science so that does factor a bit into my choice of harware.

Budget: ~300Euros = 450CAD. (LOL, i'm broke)

Expectations:

1. I've used a 4GB macbook air as my daily driver for the last 10 years and so i am wholly used to not being able to watch games in 3D, even if i do someday get my hands on a flagship gaming laptop, i doubt i'd be too excited at the possibilty. 2D suits me all day.

2. I'd ideally want to run "as many leagues as possible". Having been stuck on only being able to run a handful of leagues due to my machine's limitations for quite some time. I'd happily welcome the oppurtunity to finally scout the cliche wonderkid from the slums of Colombia. Although, old habits die hard and i'm used to playing on a limited scope, i'd at least just want to run a save for a couple seasons with over a dozen leagues loaded up without fearing that my laptop might combust. I'm at the point where i have quite little time to game, so immersion is primarily what i'm after, even if it's just for an hour. I'd like to scout those wonderkids and feel like the world is limitless.

3. Sometimes i like to delude myself into thinking that i'd like to get back into playing FIFA so i need a proper gaming laptop. But no, frankly it's not worth it. This laptop would primarily be for studying, writing code and FM. For other games, i plan on maintaing a gamepass subscription sometime in the future and acquiring a next-gen console. For now FM is all i'm after in terms of gaming.

4. Over various points in my life, I've juggled photography and video editing as a hobby/side-gig. The afore-mentioned limits of my current machine has meant that i've not been able to explore these creative outlets for quite a while. I'd like to change that, i do not have the resources to purchase an Adobe subscription so i do not necessarily need the hardware to run industry-standard programs. Open-source or even Web-based apps are what i plan to use so I do not feel a GPU is necessary. Also, i'm looking at at least 16GB of RAM. Its 2024, no one should realistically be using a machine with less than that, i don't think it's fun.

So i plan on using the laptop to Write code, Stream Netflix, Play FM, and edit the occasional video.

My budget is primarily targeting the second-hand market, pawn shops and certified refurbished vendors.

I'm currently looking at getting a Thinkpad T490 (refurbished, but i feel my budget could also easily snag it on sale somewhere brand new/in excellent condition)

Scraped Specs: Lenovo Thinkpad T490 Laptop, Touchscreen, 14" FHD (1920x1080) Notebook, Core i5-8365u, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512GB SSD, HDMI, Thunderbolt Windows 10 Pro.

"This model is touchscreen but i'm disabling that on day one because frankly that is ridiculous"

Exact product link: https://www.amazon.ca/Lenovo-Thinkpad-T490-Touchscreen-Thunderbolt/dp/B083ZMWTNL/ref=sr_1_1?crid=35XUMD382Q3MT&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.AzsMoFTnH8koDMpaHtmxqNFO0wQG5mk6D67ZanoW-wHByRqoLxyJZRPtd5L7QjD4Zdshq_oza6_jP2o_RGvZpyunuuU8fBC5EwIO5xYwPFScKbjgLh-KexkZq_ALSGOANFnls9gK7KfEBWG_Co7Cmvb4kOMV8CXUVoC6WMpRsdqid6pKs42g7sLqmrIzL07DysJDIlDzSdfTl7WVkX6vlM5XwjjBe97IFLge6iZ10JqwaiJLzt_SblWhqh-gTTL5j7UNzJ43ON-D-QR1VaA_7-Vfvhh0ddZSEW9k6K4Ed34.JsNsPFPguz7ySnMfXvNUru1dHMUWluwBOqzHB9sG-ZE&dib_tag=se&keywords=thinkpad+refurbished&qid=1720642129&s=electronics&sprefix=thinkpad+re%2Celectronics%2C125&sr=1-1

Thoughts? My only concern is the processor on the T490, The i5 chips might be showing their age now, especially if i plan on running multiple leagues. My dream machine is an M series mac, but that's one for the future, are those things even good for FM?

I am not opposed to other laptop suggestions as well but 16GB of RAM (or at least the ability to expland the RAM) and a solid processor is what i'm after. I've been through a lot on my 4gb Macbook Air

Thanks

Edit: Few typo's

Edited by NoirChrist

10 hours ago, NoirChrist said:

Well, i'm also in the market for a new computer. "Mostly" to play FM as running it on my current machine is mostly a pain. I'm also in uni studying Computer science so that does factor a bit into my choice of harware.

Expectations:

1. I've used a 4GB macbook air as my daily driver for the last 10 years and so i am wholly used to not being able to watch games in 3D, even if i do someday get my hands on a flagship gaming laptop, i doubt i'd be too excited at the possibilty. 2D suits me all day.

2. I'd ideally want to run "as many leagues as possible". Having been stuck on only being able to run a handful of leagues due to my machine's limitations for quite some time. I'd happily welcome the oppurtunity to finally scout the cliche wonderkid from the slums of Colombia. Although, old habits die hard and i'm used to playing on a limited scope, i'd at least just want to run a save for a couple seasons with over a dozen leagues loaded up without fearing that my laptop might combust. I'm at the point where i have quite little time to game, so immersion is primarily what i'm after, even if it's just for an hour. I'd like to scout those wonderkids and feel like the world is limitless.

3. Sometimes i like to delude myself into thinking that i'd like to get back into playing FIFA so i need a proper gaming laptop. But no, frankly it's not worth it. This laptop would primarily be for studying, writing code and FM. For other games, i plan on maintaing a gamepass subscription sometime in the future and acquiring a next-gen console. For now FM is all i'm after in terms of gaming.

4. Over various points in my life, I've juggled photography and video editing as a hobby/side-gig. The afore-mentioned limits of my current machine has meant that i've not been able to explore these creative outlets for quite a while. I'd like to change that, i do not have the resources to purchase an Adobe subscription so i do not necessarily need the hardware to run industry-standard programs. Open-source or even Web-based apps are what i plan to use so I do not feel a GPU is necessary. Also, i'm looking at at least 16GB of RAM. Its 2024, no one should realistically be using a machine with less than that, i don't think it's fun.

So i plan on using the laptop to Write code, Stream Netflix, Play FM, and edit the occasional video.

My budget is primarily targeting the second-hand market, pawn shops and certified refurbished vendors.

I'm currently looking at getting a Thinkpad T490 (refurbished, but i feel my budget could also easily snag it on sale somewhere brand new/in excellent condition)

Scraped Specs: Lenovo Thinkpad T490 Laptop, Touchscreen, 14" FHD (1920x1080) Notebook, Core i5-8365u, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512GB SSD, HDMI, Thunderbolt Windows 10 Pro.

"This model is touchscreen but i'm disabling that on day one because frankly that is ridiculous"

Exact product link: https://www.amazon.ca/Lenovo-Thinkpad-T490-Touchscreen-Thunderbolt/dp/B083ZMWTNL/ref=sr_1_1?crid=35XUMD382Q3MT&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.AzsMoFTnH8koDMpaHtmxqNFO0wQG5mk6D67ZanoW-wHByRqoLxyJZRPtd5L7QjD4Zdshq_oza6_jP2o_RGvZpyunuuU8fBC5EwIO5xYwPFScKbjgLh-KexkZq_ALSGOANFnls9gK7KfEBWG_Co7Cmvb4kOMV8CXUVoC6WMpRsdqid6pKs42g7sLqmrIzL07DysJDIlDzSdfTl7WVkX6vlM5XwjjBe97IFLge6iZ10JqwaiJLzt_SblWhqh-gTTL5j7UNzJ43ON-D-QR1VaA_7-Vfvhh0ddZSEW9k6K4Ed34.JsNsPFPguz7ySnMfXvNUru1dHMUWluwBOqzHB9sG-ZE&dib_tag=se&keywords=thinkpad+refurbished&qid=1720642129&s=electronics&sprefix=thinkpad+re%2Celectronics%2C125&sr=1-1

Thoughts? My only concern is the processor on the T490, The i5 chips might be showing their age now, especially if i plan on running multiple leagues. My dream machine is an M series mac, but that's one for the future, are those things even good for FM?

I am not opposed to other laptop suggestions as well but 16GB of RAM (or at least the ability to expland the RAM) and a solid processor is what i'm after. I've been through a lot on my 4gb Macbook Air

Thanks

Looking through Canadian Ebay, you ought to be able to find an 11th gen i7 class laptop on the used market, so I'd suggest aiming for that. It will be somewhat faster than what you've been looking at, but importantly that was when they brought in better integrated GPUs which might allow you to play in 3D (for FM24 at least) if you turn down the quality settings. It would also make it more capable for photo editing, though you'd likely still struggle with video editing unless they are small videos. 

12 hours ago, Caz123 said:

You tell me 600 then come back with options below 400? 

I don't get it. 

One of your options is unavailable. 

The rest are all similar performances. 

14 hours ago, Caz123 said:

Evening everyone,

Second hand market is your best way to go. Use places like PCU Benchmark to evaluate the CPU first then for FM at the current version any dedicated GPU will be fine. Maybe next version insurance like for one with a 4gb GPU. Don't worry about disk space or ram as these can be ungraded and anyway for value it's better to be short on those and add new like swap a HD for SSD for example. MSI, HP & ASUS are the makes I would go for. I certain I can get a laptop that will play FM24 for around £100 on ebay but maybe I would go to £250 for one for the next 2 years.

13 hours ago, NoirChrist said:

Expectations:

Thanks

The honest answer here is the CPU is quite poor by current standards, but I'm not sure what else you'll get with your current budget.

It will certainly play FM, but the processing won't be quick and you'll have to use lower graphics presets for the 3D match engine as the iGPU on those generation of Intel chips are weak.

13 hours ago, NoirChrist said:

Thanks

I suspect this is the type of thing you are looking for, it'll run FM25 and I'm confident FM25 but I'm not ruling out compromises on in-game details. You have room in your budget to get better so I would suggest you look up this model and see what comes after it till you reach the amount you want to spend. Each upgrade on this gives you better performance and longer life span maybe. https://www.ebay.ca/itm/226237263585 EDIT - Just noticed this has a bad keyboard and battery, the battery can be replaced but on these the keyboard in glued in. So use this as an example only and search on the model - Thought it seemed too good :-)

Edited by Delicate Dave

3 hours ago, Smurf said:

You tell me 600 then come back with options below 400? 

I don't get it. 

One of your options is unavailable. 

The rest are all similar performances. 

Yes, that is my budget but I was looking for advice if they would be suitable.  Just because that's the top of my budget, doesn't mean I need to go upto it - especially if I can get a machine that runs what my son is looking for at a lower price!

2 hours ago, Delicate Dave said:

Second hand market is your best way to go. Use places like PCU Benchmark to evaluate the CPU first then for FM at the current version any dedicated GPU will be fine. Maybe next version insurance like for one with a 4gb GPU. Don't worry about disk space or ram as these can be ungraded and anyway for value it's better to be short on those and add new like swap a HD for SSD for example. MSI, HP & ASUS are the makes I would go for. I certain I can get a laptop that will play FM24 for around £100 on ebay but maybe I would go to £250 for one for the next 2 years.

Thank you, appreciate your help :)

32 minutes ago, Caz123 said:

Yes, that is my budget but I was looking for advice if they would be suitable.  Just because that's the top of my budget, doesn't mean I need to go upto it - especially if I can get a machine that runs what my son is looking for at a lower price!

If you can afford it, the one recommended by Smurf would be the best choice especially if your son is wanting to play FM25 when it comes out, as the system requirements have been confirmed as being higher for that, but we don't have specifics yet.

However, from the ones listed, they are mostly comparable and would be ok for FM24, although probably not the highest graphics settings, apart from the following two which I'd avoid:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07RF9FYBJ?ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_H5SJ991B27P3V11D0JPZ&ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_H5SJ991B27P3V11D0JPZ&social_share=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_H5SJ991B27P3V11D0JPZ&skipTwisterOG=2

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BLNY47JZ?ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_9BNA23P7PF4WSVCQ6K58&ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_9BNA23P7PF4WSVCQ6K58&social_share=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_9BNA23P7PF4WSVCQ6K58&skipTwisterOG=2

One of the ones you listed does also show as being on Windows 11 S.  If you choose a laptop with an S version of Windows, you'll need to take the laptop out of S mode to be able to install programs outside of the Windows store, but it's easy enough to do.

A guide on how to do it is on this page: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-10-and-windows-11-in-s-mode-faq-851057d6-1ee9-b9e5-c30b-93baebeebc85#:~:text=Switching out of S mode,Upgrade your edition of Windows.

2 hours ago, Caz123 said:

But you said you already got burned on a Chromebook - and now looking to make the same mistake again.
Honestly, spend the money - you're better off in the long run.

54 minutes ago, Smurf said:

But you said you already got burned on a Chromebook - and now looking to make the same mistake again.
Honestly, spend the money - you're better off in the long run.

I think I understand what he means. The choice of the Chromebook was just a lack of insight,  paying more doesn't always find better. People who can afford to buy the new models with the latest CPU from the last two years should have no problem but the market he's talking about is full of money traps.

I think if you can't spend £1200 you really should be looking at the second-hand "games" market. But to be frank, for games like FM you shouldn't need to spend £1200 but no one is going to build a mid-range games laptop suitable for games like FM. Why sell a £500 item when people will pay 5 times that if it's the latest tech? So these people are left with searching the markets really intended for video playing and browsing the internet if they want new. 

Of course, this is no problem with desktops, you could build a FM24 desktop for £500 easy.

21 minutes ago, Delicate Dave said:

I think I understand what he means. The choice of the Chromebook was just a lack of insight,  paying more doesn't always find better. People who can afford to buy the new models with the latest CPU from the last two years should have no problem but the market he's talking about is full of money traps.

I think if you can't spend £1200 you really should be looking at the second-hand "games" market. But to be frank, for games like FM you shouldn't need to spend £1200 but no one is going to build a mid-range games laptop suitable for games like FM. Why sell a £500 item when people will pay 5 times that if it's the latest tech? So these people are left with searching the markets really intended for video playing and browsing the internet if they want new. 

Of course, this is no problem with desktops, you could build a FM24 desktop for £500 easy.

All the laptops they posted were sub-par to the ones I posted. 

Just trying to do them a favour and not waste money again. 

Reminds of a story I had a good few years ago - a woman I worked with wanted to get a new computer and asked my advice. 
I asked how much they wanted to spend and they said about 500 quid. 
I gave them a few options at the low point of 500 quid and off they went.
Turns out they really wanted to play other games on it and it was a bit slow for them. 
She came in and complained that the computer I picked wasn't good enough (even though they didn't say they wanted to play games on it) and then told me they bought a new iMac and it was absolutely brilliant. 
I asked how much they spent on it.
€1,500

I just walked off.

Out of interest, going back to the lower end of my budget. How does the configuration on this one look?,

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/lenovo-loq-gen-9-156-fhd-144hz-ips-ryzen-7-7435hs-24gb-ddr5-ram-rtx-4060-512gb-ssd-no-os-gaming-laptop-4375486#comments

It's not bad - but that Deal has no operating system, you'd have to buy the OS as an addon

I put together the spec here

Lenovo LOQ Gen 9 (15" AMD 7th Gen)
£756.49
inc. VAT
Ships in 2 weeks
Processor: AMD Ryzen™ 7 7435HS Processor (3.10 GHz up to 4.55 GHz)
Solid State Drive: 1 TB SSD M.2 2242 PCIe Gen4 QLC
Graphic Card: NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 4050 Laptop GPU 6GB GDDR6

There's a bit of difference in the processors - it might not look so different

Lenovo is the left - the HP Omen one is right (better) image.png.84f0dd9ada1d648ee4f8a8bcac76d739.png

Ultimately - it's up to you
The Lenovo has the larger storage which is beneficial

Although specific data for the Ryzen 7435HS and 7840HS is not present, you can infer potential performance based on the performance of similar CPUs.

AMD Ryzen 7 7435HS:
The Ryzen 7435HS is a mid-range laptop processor, likely to perform similarly to other Ryzen 7 models listed.
For example, the Ryzen 7 5800H showed respectable performance, with benchmark times being reasonably fast but not at the top tier.

AMD Ryzen 7 7840HS:
The Ryzen 7840HS is a more recent and higher-end processor, which should provide better performance than the 7435HS.
It should be closer in performance to higher-end CPUs like the Ryzen 9 series, given its higher base and boost clock speeds.

Core Count and Clock Speed:
CPUs with higher core counts and clock speeds perform better, as seen with Ryzen 9 and Intel i9 models.

Memory and Storage:
Systems with faster RAM and SSDs also show reduced benchmark times, highlighting the importance here.

Edited by Smurf

This seems like a more appropriate thread to ask this in, so apologies to the mods for the double post.

Is there a way to change the system power/display settings within FM23?

My laptop overheats during matches if it's plugged in but doesn't if it's just on battery.

I've tried all of the settings I can find in the laptop itself but that hasn't worked.