FM24 - PC/Laptop advice thread *** PLEASE READ OPENING POST BEFORE POSTING ***

5 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Both the MSI Katana A15 and ASUS Vivobook Pro have strengths, but considering your priorities of good display and better battery life

Display:
MSI Katana A15
15.6" Full HD screen with a 144 Hz refresh rate, which provides smooth visuals, especially for gaming.
While the high refresh rate is great for fast-paced gaming, it won't be as crucial for Football Manager, which is more CPU-focused.

ASUS Vivobook Pro
15.6" Full HD display, it lacks the high refresh rate.
However, for Football Manager, this won't be a major drawback since the game isn’t as graphically demanding as others that might benefit from 144 Hz.

Battery Life:
Katana A15 offers up to 5 hours of battery life, which is fairly standard for gaming laptops. However, the RTX 4060 and Ryzen 7 processor are power-hungry, meaning the battery may drain faster under heavy loads when the laptop is not plugged in.
If it's going to be mainly plugged in it won't be an issue.

Vivobook Pro says up to 7 hours of battery life, which makes it more appealing if you need longer usage without charging. 

Portability:
Katana weighs 2.25 kg, making it a bit bulkier for portability.

ASUS Vivobook Pro is lighter at 1.8 kg

Performance:
Both laptops have a Ryzen 7 processor and an NVIDIA RTX 4060 graphics card. While the MSI Katana has an 8 GB VRAM version, the ASUS Vivobook Pro has 6 GB. For Football Manager, the difference in graphics won’t be very noticeable, as it’s more CPU than GPU intensive.

Both pretty much the same performance - except the TDP - so the 7840HS has slightly more throttling (reducing CPU usage to save power) - which has an impact (marginal on performance when not plugged in)

image.thumb.png.d5ec9341b74da08443273d185016850f.png

If display quality and longer battery life are key factors, the Vivobook Pro seems like a better fit due to its lighter weight and longer battery life.

The Katana A15 is great for higher performance and a smoother display (144 Hz), but it sacrifices battery life and portability.

Given your needs for Football Manager, the Vivobook Pro seems the better and no real sacrifice to performance for FM.

Thank you kindly for response! 

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, kevhamster said:

It doesn't have a dedicated graphics card.  The AMD Radeon Graphics it refers to is an integrated GPU.

Thanks, I read here somewhere (but I'm getting confused) but is it accurate to say that the GPU is cool to have, but the processor takes priority in terms of crunching all the data the game has when we click Continue?

12 minutes ago, spursfan said:

Thanks, I read here somewhere (but I'm getting confused) but is it accurate to say that the GPU is cool to have, but the processor takes priority in terms of crunching all the data the game has when we click Continue?

For FM24 and before, absolutely.

It still applies partly to FM25, but the new FM will be more graphically intensive so a dedicated graphics card is definitely advisable if possible, but the one you've linked does still meet the minimum requirements so it should run the game at lower graphics settings.

42 minutes ago, spursfan said:

Min specs say an integrated graphics card - so with an integrated graphics card above the minimum spec you'll be able to play 3D matches on low-medium settings (depending on your personal preference and happiness).

Hello, currently hunting for a laptop, mainly for streaming and doing courses online, but would also very much love it to play FM. Budget is pretty low, honestly was hoping to spend no more than £300 (which had me wavering about posting lol, everyone seems higher),  I'm generally happy playing FM with not many leagues loaded. There seems to be some good laptops out there that'll be fine, just refurbished, is there some reason I shouldn't look to one of these? If anyone has any recommendations please let me know, bit of a minefield out there and I don't want to waste my money. 

6 minutes ago, bruno39 said:

Hello, currently hunting for a laptop, mainly for streaming and doing courses online, but would also very much love it to play FM. Budget is pretty low, honestly was hoping to spend no more than £300 (which had me wavering about posting lol, everyone seems higher),  I'm generally happy playing FM with not many leagues loaded. There seems to be some good laptops out there that'll be fine, just refurbished, is there some reason I shouldn't look to one of these? If anyone has any recommendations please let me know, bit of a minefield out there and I don't want to waste my money. 

Refurb is what I suggest at a £300 budget, as frankly anything at that budget in the brand new range is likely to be terrible.

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/refurbished-acer-aspire-a514-54-core-i5-1135g7-8gb-256gb-14-inch-windows-10-tr-v238-33/version.asp

That's the best one I can find within the £300 budget.  As long as you're happy to use lower graphics presets, it'll be fine.

5 hours ago, kevhamster said:

As I said, please can you give some examples of stores you'd use in the USA.  I'm not in the USA, so I don't know what stores would ship there.

Can you give me the name of the specific laptop or computer then I will see from where I can buy it from here?

27 minutes ago, bruno39 said:

You either have go for work or play but that price range. If you want something that is going to be a workstation it's like the GPU won't be powerful enough to play many games in 3d. Had this problem just today with a friend up just wants something for work but needs it light and capable for things like excel. I managed to get the a HP Firefly G8 with 32gb of ram for £476. Not sure how well it'll play FM25 but it has 4gb Vram and as a business spec it's certified. You might be able to find similar. If you want to go the other way and aim for game play then the MSI rang really hard to beat for power but be careful of the plastic and treat is right. Suspect for £300 though you'll be in the dark mostly.

5 minutes ago, raktim0699 said:

Can you give me the name of the specific laptop or computer then I will see from where I can buy it from here?

$1000 dollars right? And no specific store for us

The name of the laptop or computer is largely irrevelant as most computer places stock most names/brands 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-nitro-v-anv15-51-789j-15-6-fhd-ips-laptop-13th-gen-intel-core-i7-nvidia-geforce-rtx-4060-16gb-ddr5-512gb-ssd-obsidian-black/6576934.p?skuId=6576934

Not really sure if you need portablity - play other games - only play in 2D or want 3D

Do you want to do anything else with the laptop?
What's your experience likely to be when playing the game - what do you want most from FM?

2 hours ago, Smurf said:

Min specs say an integrated graphics card - so with an integrated graphics card above the minimum spec you'll be able to play 3D matches on low-medium settings (depending on your personal preference and happiness).

2 hours ago, kevhamster said:

For FM24 and before, absolutely.

It still applies partly to FM25, but the new FM will be more graphically intensive so a dedicated graphics card is definitely advisable if possible, but the one you've linked does still meet the minimum requirements so it should run the game at lower graphics settings.

Thank you both :-)
I usually don't use 3d much -- so it looks like this will do (2d had better still be a feature lol)

56 minutes ago, Smurf said:

$1000 dollars right? And no specific store for us

The name of the laptop or computer is largely irrevelant as most computer places stock most names/brands 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-nitro-v-anv15-51-789j-15-6-fhd-ips-laptop-13th-gen-intel-core-i7-nvidia-geforce-rtx-4060-16gb-ddr5-512gb-ssd-obsidian-black/6576934.p?skuId=6576934

Not really sure if you need portablity - play other games - only play in 2D or want 3D

Do you want to do anything else with the laptop?
What's your experience likely to be when playing the game - what do you want most from FM?

I would like to say that I won't play any other game on that laptop or computer besides FM. However, I do not want to find a compromise in the way I play Football Manager as if I were a real-life manager. Both 2D-3D is preferred.

45 minutes ago, jammo5352 said:

Hello, I have a legion go, would anybody know if it will be able to run fm25 comfortably?. 

I have the rog ally Z1 extreme witch shares the same chip has yours , it runs FM24 fine so i expect it to run FM 25 just fine  ( its way over the minimum specs needed for the new FM )

Edited by Aim_Less

23 minutes ago, Aim_Less said:

I have the rog ally Z1 extreme witch shares the same chip has yours , it runs FM24 fine so i expect it to run FM 25 just fine  ( its way over the minimum specs needed for the new FM )

Thanks for the reply. I am just a little concerned about the match engine capability. But as you say runs FM24 with ease so fingers crossed all will be well for FM25

2 hours ago, raktim0699 said:

I would like to say that I won't play any other game on that laptop or computer besides FM. However, I do not want to find a compromise in the way I play Football Manager as if I were a real-life manager. Both 2D-3D is preferred.

I've no idea how you play

9 minutes ago, Smurf said:

What are the specs?

the graphics part is a AMD 780M witch is more or less equivalent to the GTX 1660

Lenovo Legion Go
Screen 8.8 inch, 2560×1600 (16:10), IPS, 144 Hz, touch, IPS, 500 nits, Gorilla glass 5
Processor AMD Ryzen Z1 Extreme, 8C/16T, up to 5.1 GHz Boost
Video 12 RDNA 3 CUs, up to 2.7Ghz
Memory 16 GB LPDDR5x-7500 (soldered)
Storage 1TB NVMe PCIe gen 4 (2242) Hynix HFS001TEJ4X112N
Connectivity RZ616 Wireless 6e and Bluetooth 5.2
Ports 2x USB-C 4 Gen 2 with DP 1.4 and PD 3.0 charging, 3.5mm audio headphone jack
Battery 49.2 Wh, 65W PD 3.0 charger
Size 298.83 mm or 11.76” (w) x 131 mm or 5.16” (d) x 40.7 mm or 1.60” (h)
Weight .854 kg (1.88 lbs)
Extras Dpad, ABXY, LB, LT(analog) RB, RT(analog), assignable grip M1, M2, M3, Y1, Y2, &Y3, dual joysticks with clickable L3/R3, menu, view and two Legion utility buttons, rumble feedback,
stereo speakers, 6 axis gyro, accelerometer, mouse wheel, mini trackpad with tappable left click, microSD, ambient light sensor, mouse sensor

8 hours ago, kevhamster said:

8 hours ago, raktim0699 said:

would it be good for FM 25 too?

Thought the budget was $1000... 

If it is the one I recommended earlier was fine for FM24/FM25 and it's under $1000

You have 2 very solid options the choice is yours.

4 hours ago, Smurf said:

Thought the budget was $1000... 

If it is the one I recommended earlier was fine for FM24/FM25 and it's under $1000

You have 2 very solid options the choice is yours.

He said he was willing to invest $1000 or more, so I read that as being $1000 not being the ceiling.

Was looking at the Amazon prime event yesterday, don't normally expect great things from this but at least they say if the price falls within 30 day they'll refund the difference. Free 30 day prime trial will get you these price and the one that stands out to me for gaming is below  £899 that's generally £150 cheaper than anywhere else I've seen - Note to admin this is not an affiliate link

Intel Core i7-14700HX Processor
RTX 4060, GDDR6 8GB
16" 16:10 QHD+(2560 x 1600), 240Hz, 100% DCI-P3, IPS-level panel
DDR5 8GB*2
1TB NVMe PCIe SSD Gen4x4 w/o DRAM

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-Crosshair-240Hz-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B0D33THL3G/

11 minutes ago, Delicate Dave said:

Was looking at the Amazon prime event yesterday, don't normally expect great things from this but at least they say if the price falls within 30 day they'll refund the difference. Free 30 day prime trial will get you these price and the one that stands out to me for gaming is below  £899 that's generally £150 cheaper than anywhere else I've seen - Note to admin this is not an affiliate link

Intel Core i7-14700HX Processor
RTX 4060, GDDR6 8GB
16" 16:10 QHD+(2560 x 1600), 240Hz, 100% DCI-P3, IPS-level panel
DDR5 8GB*2
1TB NVMe PCIe SSD Gen4x4 w/o DRAM

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-Crosshair-240Hz-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B0D33THL3G/

That's a decent find to be fair.

I usually skip Amazon because their search function when it comes to computers is terrible.

2 hours ago, kevhamster said:

He said he was willing to invest $1000 or more, so I read that as being $1000 not being the ceiling.

You're right, I read it wrong.

1 hour ago, kevhamster said:

That's a decent find to be fair.

I usually skip Amazon because their search function when it comes to computers is terrible.

Search is terrible, but then so is Google but Bing is even worse. The search I used on Amazon for that was - "gaming laptop" i7 but even then its full of crap. It's also annoying the the sort is not available on results sometimes and not every comes up so it's hit and miss.

Sorry if this has been answered many times already. I'm specifically looking for a PC with a large monitor and graphics card to play FM with high level graphics (I've never had better than 'low'). I might run 100 leagues if the processing is fast. The PC would also be used for general internet browsing and watching downloaded stuff. Can I get something good for under $1000?

I've currently got a 12-year-old All-in-One. Is a PC with tower/monitor separate with same specs cheaper than an A-i-O? How much faster/more efficient is a new i5 processor compared to a 12 year-old i7?

9 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

Sorry if this has been answered many times already. I'm specifically looking for a PC with a large monitor and graphics card to play FM with high level graphics (I've never had better than 'low'). I might run 100 leagues if the processing is fast. The PC would also be used for general internet browsing and watching downloaded stuff. Can I get something good for under $1000?

I've currently got a 12-year-old All-in-One. Is a PC with tower/monitor separate with same specs cheaper than an A-i-O? How much faster/more efficient is a new i5 processor compared to a 12 year-old i7?

Look at the Amazon link I posted earlier. 

8 minutes ago, Delicate Dave said:

Look at the Amazon link I posted earlier. 

Unfortunately, in Cambodia I can't get a delivery from Amazon. I'd need it to be built here. And it's a PC with c 27" monitor I need, not a laptop.

Edited by phnompenhandy

42 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

Unfortunately, in Cambodia I can't get a delivery from Amazon. I'd need it to be built here. And it's a PC with c 27" monitor I need, not a laptop.

Mind reading wasn't really the top subject at my school, Suggest you look around the internet for something that suits your needs and make a note of the components that system uses so you can buy locally.

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

I did spell it out. Anyway, ChatGPT has been helpful; truthful, I'm not so sure.

Let us know some stores that you can order from and we can have a look at what's available.

Or if you give me a few minutes I'll put up something on PC part picker if you want to buy the components and build youtself.

Edit: This sort of build would be the kind of thing to look for: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3TMkkJ

Edited by kevhamster

11 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

Let us know some stores that you can order from and we can have a look at what's available.

Or if you give me a few minutes I'll put up something on PC part picker if you want to buy the components and build youtself.

Edit: This sort of build would be the kind of thing to look for: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3TMkkJ

Cheers - I'll be limited to what's available in Phnom Penh, which will be more expensive than in the West of a nation with a bigger economy of scale. But is this in the right ballpark?

Processor i5 12th/13th gen or AMD Ryzen 5 (5000 or 7000 series)

Graphics card – mid-range Nvidia like GTX 1600 Super or RTX 3060, or AMD RX 6600

RAM 16gb min (DDR4)

Storage 1TB SSD

Monitor 27” 1080p or 1440p

Do I need to specify things like a good fan (for the climate) and sufficient USB ports and stuff like that, or is it all standard now?

28 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

Cheers - I'll be limited to what's available in Phnom Penh, which will be more expensive than in the West of a nation with a bigger economy of scale. But is this in the right ballpark?

Processor i5 12th/13th gen or AMD Ryzen 5 (5000 or 7000 series)

Graphics card – mid-range Nvidia like GTX 1600 Super or RTX 3060, or AMD RX 6600

RAM 16gb min (DDR4)

Storage 1TB SSD

Monitor 27” 1080p or 1440p

Do I need to specify things like a good fan (for the climate) and sufficient USB ports and stuff like that, or is it all standard now?

The recommended for max graphics is a RTX 2060, and I think those are hard to come by now, so I'd look for a 3060, or a 5600XT or 6600XT if looking at AMD cards.   I'd avoid 13th gen Intels as they've had reliability issues, so if you're going for an Intel I'd suggest 12th gen, or any Ryzen 5/7/9 from 5th generation onwards.

If you do get a 1660 (wither it be a Standard, Super or TI variant), that doesn't meet the recommended but is well above minimum for FM25 so I'd expect that to be fine for mid to high settings.  At least I'm certainly hoping so as my own PC has a 1660 Super and I can't afford to upgrade right now lol.

In terms of cooling, if you're buying prebuilt it should be pretty much standard with the build.  If you're buying components and building yourself, you'll just need to make sure the CPU cooler is rated for a sufficient wattage for the CPU.  Case fans are usually standard with the case.

56 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

The recommended for max graphics is a RTX 2060, and I think those are hard to come by now, so I'd look for a 3060, or a 5600XT or 6600XT if looking at AMD cards.   I'd avoid 13th gen Intels as they've had reliability issues, so if you're going for an Intel I'd suggest 12th gen, or any Ryzen 5/7/9 from 5th generation onwards.

If you do get a 1660 (wither it be a Standard, Super or TI variant), that doesn't meet the recommended but is well above minimum for FM25 so I'd expect that to be fine for mid to high settings.  At least I'm certainly hoping so as my own PC has a 1660 Super and I can't afford to upgrade right now lol.

In terms of cooling, if you're buying prebuilt it should be pretty much standard with the build.  If you're buying components and building yourself, you'll just need to make sure the CPU cooler is rated for a sufficient wattage for the CPU.  Case fans are usually standard with the case.

That's very helpful. Added to my notes, thanks.

2 minutes ago, spursfan said:

Guess I'll revisit this in March :onmehead:

Yep.

I'll keep on with my current save.  Getting close to getting Blackburn into the Champions League!

I do hope that people don't do the usual internet thing of personal abuse towards the SI peeps though.  This is obviously not the news anybody wanted, and that includes the people working hard to make the best game possible.

It's not all bad news folks.

The delay means you'll be able to take advantage of the lower prices for computers and parts to upgrade which could save you new a new one at all. Things like SSDs are going to come down a lot now the mark 5 versions are here. Video cards are normally about 30% cheaper after 3 months and all those £500 **** laptops will look even more **** as the £800 ones get reduced.

Of course, as they've not yet been able to even show the 3D game engine I suspect those specs mean very little anyway.

I currently have the i7 version of this laptop: https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/laptops/matebook-14-2021/buy/ but its broken.

I run lots of leagues and have a lot of custom graphics in my saved and this laptop does it all pretty seamlessly.

Are any of these laptops better than my Huawei and will they run my data heavy saves the same (if not better):

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/dell-inspiron-3520-intel-core-i7-1255u-16gb-ram-1tb-ssd-15.6-inch-fhd-windo-inspiron-3520-i7-16gb-1t/version.asp

https://www.johnlewis.com/lenovo-ideapad-slim-5i-laptop-intel-core-ultra-7-processor-16gb-ram-1tb-ssd-14-inch-wuxga-oled-cloud-grey/p111686683

https://www.johnlewis.com/asus-zenbook-14-laptop-intel-core-i7-processor-16gb-ram-1tb-ssd-14-oled-blue/p112188784

Thanks

9 minutes ago, lashDOTboi said:

I currently have the i7 version of this laptop: https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/laptops/matebook-14-2021/buy/ but its broken.

I run lots of leagues and have a lot of custom graphics in my saved and this laptop does it all pretty seamlessly.

Are any of these laptops better than my Huawei and will they run my data heavy saves the same (if not better):

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/dell-inspiron-3520-intel-core-i7-1255u-16gb-ram-1tb-ssd-15.6-inch-fhd-windo-inspiron-3520-i7-16gb-1t/version.asp

https://www.johnlewis.com/lenovo-ideapad-slim-5i-laptop-intel-core-ultra-7-processor-16gb-ram-1tb-ssd-14-inch-wuxga-oled-cloud-grey/p111686683

https://www.johnlewis.com/asus-zenbook-14-laptop-intel-core-i7-processor-16gb-ram-1tb-ssd-14-oled-blue/p112188784

Thanks

Yep, they'd all be an upgrade.  I'd go for this one of the 3: https://www.johnlewis.com/lenovo-ideapad-slim-5i-laptop-intel-core-ultra-7-processor-16gb-ram-1tb-ssd-14-inch-wuxga-oled-cloud-grey/p111686683

4 hours ago, lashDOTboi said:

Thanks

What's wrong with it, let's see if we can help fix it maybe? save some money.

1 hour ago, Delicate Dave said:

Unfortunately its not fixable, the charging port doesn't work anymore and i've taken it to the 'experts' and they said they couldn't fix it because of x and y so I have to just spend the money :(

7 minutes ago, lashDOTboi said:

Unfortunately its not fixable, the charging port doesn't work anymore and i've taken it to the 'experts' and they said they couldn't fix it because of x and y so I have to just spend the money :(

2 hours ago, Delicate Dave said:

"experts" one of many videos on charging ports on this machine.

Bit of a shock to me, My laptop I use for FM cam with an SSD drive and an HD. Last year I updated the SSD drive to a bigger drive as it was the C: Drive but didn't bother with the HD as it was 1TB and even now a SSD drive that size would cost £300ish. I recently was thinking of buying another SSD for another laptop so I decided to do some benchmarks on the ones I have already to see if I could find a faster one now.

I have 2 SSD drives running at around 500mbs read and write, the latest one I bought was much faster at 3300mbs and the 1TB HD ? 100mbs read and write :-) 33 times slower than the fastest. Needless to say that's now been replaced by 250gb SSD and the overhanging data sent to online storage :-)

2 hours ago, Delicate Dave said:

Bit of a shock to me, My laptop I use for FM cam with an SSD drive and an HD. Last year I updated the SSD drive to a bigger drive as it was the C: Drive but didn't bother with the HD as it was 1TB and even now a SSD drive that size would cost £300ish. I recently was thinking of buying another SSD for another laptop so I decided to do some benchmarks on the ones I have already to see if I could find a faster one now.

I have 2 SSD drives running at around 500mbs read and write, the latest one I bought was much faster at 3300mbs and the 1TB HD ? 100mbs read and write :-) 33 times slower than the fastest. Needless to say that's now been replaced by 250gb SSD and the overhanging data sent to online storage :-)

External SSD are notoriously slow compared to internal ones if i'm not mistaken?

16 hours ago, spursfan said:

External SSD are notoriously slow compared to internal ones if i'm not mistaken?

You're partially right, but it's more nuanced.

External SSDs can be slower than internal SSDs, but this mainly depends on factors like

Connection Type:
The speed of external SSDs is heavily dependent on the interface.
For example, an external SSD connected via USB 3.0 or USB-C might be slower than an internal SSD connected via PCIe (NVMe).
However, if you use a Thunderbolt 3 or USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 interface, external SSDs can perform almost as fast as some internal SSDs.

Drive Type:
Internal SSDs can use the NVMe protocol, which is significantly faster than SATA-based SSDs, whether internal or external. Many external SSDs still use SATA, so they'll be slower compared to NVMe internal drives.
However, there are external SSDs with NVMe drives that perform much faster.

Overheads: External
SSDs may have some performance overhead due to the additional components (cables, enclosures, controllers), which can slightly reduce speeds compared to internal SSDs that are directly connected to the motherboard.

In short, external SSDs are generally slower than high-end internal ones, especially NVMe drives, but they can still be pretty fast with the right interface and drive type.

For Football Manager saves or general computer operations, the difference between external and internal SSDs is likely not that noticeable in most cases.

Football Manager save files aren't particularly large compared to files used in video editing or gaming with huge texture loads. Therefore, even on a slower external SSD, saving or loading FM saves won’t take long, typically within seconds.

While internal NVMe SSDs would load Football Manager a bit faster than external SSDs, the difference might only be a few seconds. Unless you're constantly loading or saving large amounts of data, the performance gap isn't dramatic for FM’s operations.

For things like database processing (the heart of Football Manager), the game relies more on CPU and RAM than SSD speed. The faster SSD might help when the game needs to read/write data, but it’s not a major bottleneck compared to other hardware components.

NVMe internal SSDs are faster, for Football Manager saves and general operation, an external SSD (even with USB-C or USB 3.0) should be more than sufficient, and the difference is unlikely to impact your gaming experience.