FM24 - PC/Laptop advice thread *** PLEASE READ OPENING POST BEFORE POSTING ***

Hi guys wondered if you could help.
Looking to buy a new laptop solely for FM22 and future games.

Budget is between £250-£450. Looking to do a journeyman save, so will need lots of leagues loaded. I’m useless with laptops so have no recommendations for you.

Thank you. 

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Hackoutsideways said:

Haven't played FM for year but want to get back into it on a laptop,  Would this one cope with say the big 5 leagues:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/gaming/pc-gaming/gaming-laptops/hp-victus-16-e0514na-16-1-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-5-rx-5500m-512-gb-ssd-10227221-pdt.html

Yes - very good spec on that.

11 hours ago, Leehas said:

Hi,

Can I get your opinion on this laptop.  Mainly for playing FM. I like playing with 3D graphics and ideally want something from Argos as I have credit. This is my top end budget.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8947794?rec=PDP[8440710]:bottomSlider:P1:OHAT:alternatives:8947794:cMIRBlOGv9ytj1SEfUaF

Cheers

Lee

I'd avoid it as you can get better for the money.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/gaming/pc-gaming/gaming-laptops/hp-victus-16-e0514na-16-1-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-5-rx-5500m-512-gb-ssd-10227221-pdt.html

Better CPU, larger SSD, graphics card is effectively equivalent to the 1650 in the Argos one.

Heads up, this looks a steal https://www.costco.co.uk/Computers/Laptops-MacBooks/Lenovo-IdeaPad-Creator-5i-Intel-Core-i5-8GB-RAM-256GB-SSD-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1650-156-Inch-Gaming-Laptop-82D4000MUK/p/354265

Basically its an ideapad gaming 3, with a better quality screen and less fan noise. I think the 1650 is lower watt than standard but still be great for FM.

Very tempted myself.

20 minutes ago, Mr U Rosler said:

Heads up, this looks a steal https://www.costco.co.uk/Computers/Laptops-MacBooks/Lenovo-IdeaPad-Creator-5i-Intel-Core-i5-8GB-RAM-256GB-SSD-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1650-156-Inch-Gaming-Laptop-82D4000MUK/p/354265

Basically its an ideapad gaming 3, with a better quality screen and less fan noise. I think the 1650 is lower watt than standard but still be great for FM.

Very tempted myself.

Yep. for £499.99 that's a bargain.

17 minutes ago, RogerPalmer said:

Hi, I have no interest in graphics or watching games other than on the commentary bar. I do want the speed to be rapid playing three leagues with large database. Any recommendations? Thanks!

What is your budget?

Hi there, I have a very old MacBook Pro (late 2013) and have been playing FM21 on it (in 2D of course).

I am looking to buy a new MacBook Air M1 - I am assuming loading up plenty of leagues (with large db) and 3D match engine etc works very well? I was mulling the new MacBook Pro 14" also - but assuming performance-wise won't make a huge difference?

For reference comparison is: https://everymac.com/ultimate-mac-comparison-chart/?compare=all-intel-macs&highlight=0&prod1=MacBookPro074&prod2=MacBookAir041&prod3=MacBookPro140

5 hours ago, Paz7 said:

Hi there, I have a very old MacBook Pro (late 2013) and have been playing FM21 on it (in 2D of course).

I am looking to buy a new MacBook Air M1 - I am assuming loading up plenty of leagues (with large db) and 3D match engine etc works very well? I was mulling the new MacBook Pro 14" also - but assuming performance-wise won't make a huge difference?

For reference comparison is: https://everymac.com/ultimate-mac-comparison-chart/?compare=all-intel-macs&highlight=0&prod1=MacBookPro074&prod2=MacBookAir041&prod3=MacBookPro140

As good as any computer in that price bracket.

The m1 chip is as good as any of the higher end Intel and amd chips.

As per the opening post we cannot tell you how many leagues etc to load.

I load about 30 leagues and play 100 seasons on an i7 7700hq processor with 8gb ram. It's fine speed for me but could be too slow for you. Technically I could load all leagues division and large database and play for 5 or 10 seasons. Or even 20.

____

Why are you buying a Mac may I ask?

The purpose of this thread is so people can get a computer to play fm well within a certain budget.

Any Mac with the m1 processor will be fine for fm.

I'll say the m1 13 inch is best for it's screen size and price.

14 inch lower end model is best in size for price and spec.

After that the 14 inch higher end MacBook pro with m1 chip, the prices go a bit crazy, well for me anyway.

Might be fine for you.

And before anyone starts, I work professionally across both Mac and Windows and have done so for 25 years.

I don't hate Mac. I don't like the pricing.

But if you need a Mac, faire enough.

If it's just for fm it's quite a lot of money.

____

So which new Mac are you looking at?

Hi guys, 

Looking for a new personal laptop for playing FM, watching films, a little DJing etc. I don’t really play other games.

My budget is around £600-800.

Ideally would like to be able to run 3D matches in good quality, never had a laptop capable of that before.

I’ve spotted this one, would seem to do the trick?

https://www.box.co.uk/39P48EAABU-HP-Pavilion-15-ec1002na-AMD-Ryzen-5-8GB-_3561212.html

Any drawbacks or anything better I can get for around that price? Thanksz

Edited by crxtch

Hi everyone,

My last laptop (an HP omen of some description) broke a year or so ago and I have decided it’s time to replace it.

Laptop will be used for FM, some other gaming (I tend to like military strategy games like HoI that sort of thing) and general web surfing etc. Nothing else really.

it will likely never leave the house so does not need to be overly portable!

My last laptop sounded like it was a 747 about to take off most of the time I was playing games on it, which was really annoying when sat in the living room in company!  So, if I could avoid this I would be grateful.

Budget is anything up to probably £800-900 or so. If I can spend less, great, but similarly don’t want to scrimp for the right rig.

Happy to wait a couple of weeks til Black Friday if people think that’s wise

Thank you for your help

7 minutes ago, crxtch said:

Hi guys, 

Looking for a new personal laptop for playing FM, watching films, a little DJing etc. I don’t really play other games.

My budget is around £600-800.

Ideally would like to be able to run 3D matches in good quality, never had a laptop capable of that before.

I’ve spotted this one, would seem to do the trick?

https://www.box.co.uk/39P48EAABU-HP-Pavilion-15-ec1002na-AMD-Ryzen-5-8GB-_3561212.html

Any drawbacks or anything better I can get for around that price? Thanks

Looks absolutley fine

At your max budget - this is better
Only slightly though
https://www.box.co.uk/30031834-Medion-Erazer-E25-AMD-Ryzen-5-8GB-RAM-51_3820497.html

Newer version of processor.

Slightly better graphics card.

10 minutes ago, mgtprobo said:

Hi everyone,

My last laptop (an HP omen of some description) broke a year or so ago and I have decided it’s time to replace it.

Laptop will be used for FM, some other gaming (I tend to like military strategy games like HoI that sort of thing) and general web surfing etc. Nothing else really.

it will likely never leave the house so does not need to be overly portable!

My last laptop sounded like it was a 747 about to take off most of the time I was playing games on it, which was really annoying when sat in the living room in company!  So, if I could avoid this I would be grateful.

Budget is anything up to probably £800-900 or so. If I can spend less, great, but similarly don’t want to scrimp for the right rig.

Happy to wait a couple of weeks til Black Friday if people think that’s wise

Thank you for your help

You'd have to read reviews regarding noises etc.

https://www.box.co.uk/30031907-Medion-Erazer-P25-AMD-Ryzen-5-16GB-RAM-5_3820599.html

But noise is usually related to clogged fans - you can buy a can of compressed air and blow the fans to remove the dust. 

5 hours ago, Smurf said:

You'd have to read reviews regarding noises etc.

https://www.box.co.uk/30031907-Medion-Erazer-P25-AMD-Ryzen-5-16GB-RAM-5_3820599.html

But noise is usually related to clogged fans - you can buy a can of compressed air and blow the fans to remove the dust. 

Thank you for your advice.

@SmurfDo you think I am spending too much for my requirements or about right?

Do you feel there is value waiting until Black Friday?

Edited by mgtprobo

Is it worth having QHD 2k and 4K screens in a laptop? Will the writing etc be that much sharper? I have seen they cost around £1500. I was going to budget £800 for a laptop but prepared to £1200 I have to draw line somewhere as I have series x and ps5 and as I say 90% of the time will be football manager and Netflix or sky

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/gigabyte-g7-nvidia-rtx-3050-ti-16gb-17.3-240hz-i7-11800h-gaming-laptop-lt-0dw-gi.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/hp-omen-15-en1007na-nvidia-rtx-3060-16gb-15.6-165hz-qhd-amd-ryzen-7-5800h-gaming-laptop-lt-05g-hp.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-katana-gf66-nvidia-rtx-3060-16gb-15.6-144hz-i7-11800h-limited-edition-gaming-laptop-lt-2eh-ms.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus-rog-strix-g15-g513qm-nvidia-rtx-3060-16gb-15.6-300hz-ryzen-r9-5900hx-gaming-laptop-lt-2e6-as.html

I was going to order one today in hope arrive tomorrow so can play it at girlfriend 😂 I will wait until next week and look at some reviews as well as reviews from people who have bought them. I just wanted your opinions sorry I keep changing which laptop to go for just I keep looking as there are a lot out there and want to keep it for a number of years so want to make sure it’s the right one.

I keep looking at the gigabyte because it’s 17” and 2 year warranty but guy at work said they lost all customers database a while back so people’s purchases were not longer covered by warranty not sure how true that is but put me off a bit. I then see I can get better quality screen but it’s 15” not 17” and more powerful the laptop the hotter it will get I imagine and it’s lifetime will decrease I imagine

11 hours ago, Paz7 said:

6 hours ago, Smurf said:

Why are you buying a Mac may I ask?

The purpose of this thread is so people can get a computer to play fm well within a certain budget.

Any Mac with the m1 processor will be fine for fm.

I'll say the m1 13 inch is best for it's screen size and price.

14 inch lower end model is best in size for price and spec.

After that the 14 inch higher end MacBook pro with m1 chip, the prices go a bit crazy, well for me anyway.

I know the 14" MBP is absolutely not a good budget choice by any stretch of the imagination, but I can't stress enough how much these M1 Pro processors beast FM. I've got the base level 14" with M1 Pro processor (so the 'cheapest' new one) though I suspect a standard M1 (in the Air or 13") would be pretty damn good too.

I'm currently running 14 different countries, I maxed out the number of players allowed (on 115,000 and it wouldn't allow more), and the system doesn't make a noise, doesn't get hot, it just powers through. Full graphics settings, barely any gap when pressing continue. The new MacBook Pro's are far and away the best way of playing FM on a laptop imo, they just come at a very high price.

As I said, this is not a good budget machine whatsoever but this is the fastest FM experience I've ever had, and I used to have a desktop gaming PC. 

Just took a look at the Apple website @Paz7. Essentially if you need a MacBook, imo:

MacBook Air £999+ - should smash FM comfortably, per £ easily the best value for money in this list
MacBook Pro 13 £1,299+ - same processor as the Air, but you'll get a better screen and a few more ports
MacBook Pro 14 £1,899+ - these are the latest MacBooks. Slightly better processor, better graphics, generally an amazing laptop in every way but does come a lot more expensive

Basically these new M1 processors are particularly beneficial for games like FM where processing power is the biggest resource. Graphically the improvements are decent in the M1 range, but the big benefit is processing power as they use barely any energy but still at least as strong as a Core i7/i9, if not better. So games like FM particularly benefit from it.

15 minutes ago, foolsgold said:
  1. I'm currently running 14 different countries, I maxed out the number of players allowed (on 115,000 and it wouldn't allow more), and the system doesn't make a noise, doesn't get hot, it just powers through. Full graphics settings, barely any gap when pressing continue.
  2. The new MacBook Pro's are far and away the best way of playing FM on a laptop imo, they just come at a very high price.
  3. As I said, this is not a good budget machine whatsoever but this is the fastest FM experience I've ever had, and I used to have a desktop gaming PC. 

1. I run 30 countries with a larger database and mine powers through and it's i7 7700HQ - not a Mac

2. How do you know this? That is not true by any stretch of the imagination - that's your opinion *edit - you did say IMO - so my bad - but to clarify that's opinion not fact*

3. What was the spec of your desktop gaming PC? 

Yes the Mac M1 chip is good - but as I keep saying - it's as good as any other top end laptop choice with a mid-high end processor.

As I keep saying

13 inch portablity - the Mac M1 screen and size and portabiltiy is best for price and power - currently in this price range

14 inch is solid - and a good price for the base price of the Mac 14 inch - best probably on offer at the price for a 14 inch.

The 2nd tier of 14 inch and up to 16 inch - are absolutely insane prices.

Macs are not magical. They are pricey.

Most people that come here don't have a budget up to £1000

So the Macs are ruled out straightaway.
And those that have £1000 want at least 15 inch (most of the time)

So I'm not trying to discourage anyone getting a Mac - if you have the funds and want it - then get it.

Any Mac will run FM well.

Just like any PC with a high end processor will run FM well.

Edited by Smurf

3 minutes ago, foolsgold said:

Just took a look at the Apple website @Paz7. Essentially if you need a MacBook, imo:

MacBook Air £999+ - should smash FM comfortably, per £ easily the best value for money in this list
MacBook Pro 13 £1,299+ - same processor as the Air, but you'll get a better screen and a few more ports
MacBook Pro 14 £1,899+ - these are the latest MacBooks. Slightly better processor, better graphics, generally an amazing laptop in every way but does come a lot more expensive

Basically these new M1 processors are particularly beneficial for games like FM where processing power is the biggest resource. Graphically the improvements are decent in the M1 range, but the big benefit is processing power as they use barely any energy but still at least as strong as a Core i7/i9, if not better. So games like FM particularly benefit from it.

See above

And the bold part. See my post above again.

I'll reitterate - the M1 processor is as good as a high end Intel or AMD processor.

Just because it's i7 or i9 or A7 or A9 - doesn't make it high end
There are different processors in these ranges some built for portability, some for power.

Absolutely - the processor is the biggest factor.

But most people that come here don't want to spend £1000
And most want at least a 15 inch screen.
And when the price is above £2000k for a laptop for FM (or even £1800+) then you really need to ask yourself is it worth it when you can get equivalent/better for cheaper.

33 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Yes the Mac M1 chip is good - but as I keep saying - it's as good as any other top end laptop choice with a mid-high end processor.

I'm not recommending a Mac over a Windows laptop :D The guy said he wanted a Mac and there's no doubt the latest Mac's are outstanding. But per £ they're far worse value for money of course. But I would take issue with the bit I've quoted above - certainly from the benchmarks I've seen I don't think there's any 'mid end' mobile processor that comes near the M1 Pro/Max. High end possibly.

29 minutes ago, Smurf said:

But most people that come here don't want to spend £1000
And most want at least a 15 inch screen.
And when the price is above £2000k for a laptop for FM (or even £1800+) then you really need to ask yourself is it worth it when you can get equivalent/better for cheaper.

Absolutely. I'm not recommending the MacBook to anyone over a Windows laptop. Just to the guy who specifically said he wanted a Mac - so I compared the different Mac's for him, and I heavily recommend the M1 over any Intel processor in a Mac. :thup: But I'd never recommend a Mac as the first choice for someone who just wants to play FM and doesn't care about the OS.

It depends what you value really. I need thin and light, there is no Windows laptop out there that I've seen that does the job of playing FM quickly and silently in a 13/14" chassis, while having good level graphics like the MBP's do. Above that form factor I'd say it's a different story.

Edited by foolsgold

1 hour ago, foolsgold said:

certainly from the benchmarks I've seen I don't think there's any 'mid end' mobile processor that comes near the M1 Pro/Max.

What benchmarks? Where?

It's very difficult to get an unbiased opinion. 

Except for me of course. 

and I heavily recommend the M1 over any Intel processor

I don't.

I need thin and light, there is no Windows laptop out there that I've seen that does the job of playing FM quickly and silently in a 13/14" chassis

I've said this repeatedly - for thin and light you won't do better for price - performance and size  than 13 inch or 14inch (lower end version).

I feel like I'm in a timeloop.

while having good level graphics like the MBP's

FM isn't graphic intentisve really. But whatever floats your boat.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are saying the same thing. 

There's no point in repeating it back and forth.

Okay then :D. I'm an ex-Intel employee, I have no reason to **** on them, but never mind.

For anyone with an open mind and more money than sense, look at the M1's, they're outstanding. No Intel nor AMD processor will pump out that performance at the same wattage. But in reality still not worth the extra £.

Edited by foolsgold

3 hours ago, Tony7 said:

Is it worth having QHD 2k and 4K screens in a laptop? Will the writing etc be that much sharper? I have seen they cost around £1500. I was going to budget £800 for a laptop but prepared to £1200 I have to draw line somewhere as I have series x and ps5 and as I say 90% of the time will be football manager and Netflix or sky

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/gigabyte-g7-nvidia-rtx-3050-ti-16gb-17.3-240hz-i7-11800h-gaming-laptop-lt-0dw-gi.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/hp-omen-15-en1007na-nvidia-rtx-3060-16gb-15.6-165hz-qhd-amd-ryzen-7-5800h-gaming-laptop-lt-05g-hp.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-katana-gf66-nvidia-rtx-3060-16gb-15.6-144hz-i7-11800h-limited-edition-gaming-laptop-lt-2eh-ms.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus-rog-strix-g15-g513qm-nvidia-rtx-3060-16gb-15.6-300hz-ryzen-r9-5900hx-gaming-laptop-lt-2e6-as.html

I was going to order one today in hope arrive tomorrow so can play it at girlfriend 😂 I will wait until next week and look at some reviews as well as reviews from people who have bought them. I just wanted your opinions sorry I keep changing which laptop to go for just I keep looking as there are a lot out there and want to keep it for a number of years so want to make sure it’s the right one.

I keep looking at the gigabyte because it’s 17” and 2 year warranty but guy at work said they lost all customers database a while back so people’s purchases were not longer covered by warranty not sure how true that is but put me off a bit. I then see I can get better quality screen but it’s 15” not 17” and more powerful the laptop the hotter it will get I imagine and it’s lifetime will decrease I imagine

I don't know about an increase in text sharpness for FM - the main benefit will be in being able to have more info on the screen at once?

It is worth the extra money?  Just for FM, I would personally say no given the extra cost involved but it's entirely down to whether you're happy to spend that extra money.  I play in 1080p and have no issues.

The Gigabyte one is an excellent spec for FM.  Although, in fairness all four are excellent.

4 hours ago, foolsgold said:

Thanks for the replies @foolsgold and @Smurf

Basically laptop is very light use (emails, browsing, FaceTime, etc) - my laptop works fine(ish) at the moment - but am due an upgrade.

Only other thing I do is FM - what I don't want, is I spend £/$1000 on a nice MacBook Air or something (I love 13" form factor + I travel a lot so it being light would be awesome) and realise FM doesn't run amazing on the M1 (i.e. 3D match engine, which I haven't really used due to my old laptop at the moment).

Not getting a Mac is not an option (my whole life is on this and I prefer it) - question is whether I should upgrade (primarily for FM - 3D match engine + more leagues) vs just stuck to this older MacBook (if FM doesn't run amazingly well on it). Money isn't a real issue tbh (i.e. £/$1000-2500 is ok spend). 

edit: ps I'd even consider the new M1 Pro 14" (even upto Max) - like money isn't a huge problem / consideration - but I genuinely think it's a little too bulky for me, don't like the notch, etc etc. Assuming if the M1 runs FM well, then M1 Pro / Max upgrade would be fairly incremental. I just (potentially) want a new one for email, browsing, FM - literally that's all.

Edited by Paz7

3 minutes ago, Paz7 said:

Basically laptop is very light use (emails, browsing, FaceTime, etc) - my laptop works fine(ish) at the moment - but am due an upgrade.

Only other thing I do is FM - what I don't want, is I spend £/$1000 on a nice MacBook Air or something (I love 13" form factor + I travel a lot so it being light would be awesome) and realise FM doesn't run amazing on the M1 (i.e. 3D match engine, which I haven't really used due to my old laptop at the moment).

Not getting a Mac is not an option (my whole life is on this and I prefer it) - question is whether I should upgrade (primarily for FM - 3D match engine + more leagues) vs just stuck to this older MacBook (if FM doesn't run amazingly well on it). Money isn't a real issue tbh (i.e. £/$1000-2500 is ok spend). 

Get the one as high up the price bracket as you can afford.

3 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Get the one as high up the price bracket as you can afford.

Even though it compromises on other things for me (e.g. portability, weight, size, etc)?

It sounds like M1 works like a beast and even with a blank chequebook I like the entire package of M1 Air - subject to confirmation that FM runs like a beast on it (3D engine, plenty of leagues etc - (or I might just wait a few months for M2 Air or something).

13 minutes ago, Paz7 said:

edit: ps I'd even consider the new M1 Pro 14" (even upto Max) - like money isn't a huge problem / consideration - but I genuinely think it's a little too bulky for me, don't like the notch, etc etc. Assuming if the M1 runs FM well, then M1 Pro / Max upgrade would be fairly incremental. I just (potentially) want a new one for email, browsing, FM - literally that's all.

That's cool, well the M1 will definitely handle FM fine and going by other comments online it will play the 3D match engine at max level no problem. If that's all you want it for, then it will do the job easily, and silently too, as well as with really good battery (the last MacBook's have had pretty bad battery imo).

Like I said I have the base 14" with M1 Pro. The notch you don't even notice most of the time, it's usually in the task bar so doesn't actually take away any game space unless you play full screen.

Going from what you've said the Air will do you fine, as you said the processor increase in the Pro isn't enormous. The 14" does have nice features like a better screen, better speakers, etc - it's far and away the best laptop I've ever used but I do game a little more on it, so if none of that is important to you then save the £900 and go for the Air. You'll notice a huge difference between the Intel Mac and the M1 Mac regardless, I certainly did.

If it doesn't do the job for you, you can always return it within 2 weeks, so buy it, play a few days of FM and see how you get on imo.

Edited by foolsgold

4 hours ago, foolsgold said:

I'm not recommending a Mac over a Windows laptop :D The guy said he wanted a Mac and there's no doubt the latest Mac's are outstanding. But per £ they're far worse value for money of course. But I would take issue with the bit I've quoted above - certainly from the benchmarks I've seen I don't think there's any 'mid end' mobile processor that comes near the M1 Pro/Max. High end possibly.

Absolutely. I'm not recommending the MacBook to anyone over a Windows laptop. Just to the guy who specifically said he wanted a Mac - so I compared the different Mac's for him, and I heavily recommend the M1 over any Intel processor in a Mac. :thup: But I'd never recommend a Mac as the first choice for someone who just wants to play FM and doesn't care about the OS.

It depends what you value really. I need thin and light, there is no Windows laptop out there that I've seen that does the job of playing FM quickly and silently in a 13/14" chassis, while having good level graphics like the MBP's do. Above that form factor I'd say it's a different story.

bolded part is exactly what I need - small, light, quiet, MacBook, which runs FM like a beast. Seems M1 Air will fit the bill then and I won't have to compromise (i.e. not "graphics only works well upto medium", etc etc)

1 minute ago, foolsgold said:

That's cool, well the M1 will definitely handle FM fine and going by other comments online it will play the 3D match engine at max level no problem. If that's all you want it for, then it will do the job easily, and silently too, as well as with really good battery (the last MacBook's have had pretty bad battery imo).

Like I said I have the base 14" with M1 Pro. The notch you don't even notice most of the time, it's usually in the task bar so doesn't actually take away any game space unless you play full screen.

Going from what you've said the Air will do you fine, as you said the processor increase in the Pro isn't enormous. The 14" does have nice features like a better screen, better speakers, etc - it's far and away the best laptop I've ever used but I do game a little more on it, so if none of that is important to you then save the £900 and go for the Air. You'll notice a huge difference between the Intel Mac and the M1 Mac, I certainly did.

thanks! yes the bold part is the key line for me :)

4 minutes ago, Paz7 said:

bolded part is exactly what I need - small, light, quiet, MacBook, which runs FM like a beast. Seems M1 Air will fit the bill then and I won't have to compromise (i.e. not "graphics only works well upto medium", etc etc)

FM isn't particularly heavy on graphics anyway, and the M1 Pro offers bigger benefits in graphics than CPU, so you're fine with the M1.

Link here suggests that you can max out the graphics on an Air no problem, which I've also seen elsewhere, so I think you're absolutely fine with that. You won't be able to play any graphical games to a particularly good standard, but that's not what you need and not why anyone buys a Mac anyway.

If you're coming from an old Intel Mac you'll notice a huge difference in battery and snappiness. Enjoy :thup:

Edited by foolsgold

11 minutes ago, riccard73 said:

Hi, I am after some advise as I dont really know much about Laptops.

I need to buy a new laptop for FM2022, after some suggestions or good deals.

My budget is upto a max of £600

Thanks

https://www.box.co.uk/S513EA-BN697T-ASUS-VivoBook-15-Intel-Core-i5-16GB-RAM-_3554019.html if FM is the only game you play.

https://www.box.co.uk/30029418-Medion-Erazer-E10-Intel-Core-i5-8GB-RAM-_3554453.html if you play other modern games as well.

Hiya! Based in Switzerland and I wonder if my laptop is ok... I thought he was doing fine til now, it's from 2015.

Aspire V 15 Nitro

Intel Core i7-5500U 2.4 Ghz

NVIDIA GEForce 940M

8GB DDR3

128GB SSD and 1TB HDD

I can only run the swiss league and BuLi and is soooooooooooooooooooooooooo slow. How am I supposed to make proper a journeyman? :lol:

Is it me or my laptop is too old now and I need to change?

1 hour ago, Paz7 said:

thanks! yes the bold part is the key line for me :)

I play the bold part at max level no problem. You don't need a Mac to do that. 

My computer cost £799 and I often see people posting what leagues and database they play on the Mac and my PC plays more, 3d high level and under £800.

2 hours ago, kevhamster said:

I don't know about an increase in text sharpness for FM - the main benefit will be in being able to have more info on the screen at once?

It is worth the extra money?  Just for FM, I would personally say no given the extra cost involved but it's entirely down to whether you're happy to spend that extra money.  I play in 1080p and have no issues.

The Gigabyte one is an excellent spec for FM.  Although, in fairness all four are excellent.

Thank you I will order it Monday. I wasn't sure if I watch Netflix or do some gaming I would be gaming dolby vision and 4k as I seen some screens around £1400 that have dolby vision but would I notice it on a small screen and paying for the screen means might get cheaper or slower components so will stick with original idea although the Asus looks decent. I might play witcher 3 or gta game when away from console but as you say most of the time i will be playing fm while watching TV

Gigabyte has decent spec and 2 year warrenty. I was hoping it might be in a deal come black Friday 

If you're coming from an old Intel Mac you'll notice a huge difference in battery and snappiness

That's because the old Mac's with Intel chips often had the U processors and were quite underpowered for the price 

Only some i7s and some i9s were on par with the m1, but that was the only i9 processor or higher end i7s apple offered in the Intel Macs.

But you were paying way over the odds for these higher spec processors anyway.

It's still true that you can better value for money in the PC laptop when going into the 15 inch + range.

But then again if someone wants to spend 1.8k or more I'm not going to stop them.

The new Mac's are great.

But I have to point out the breaking points for value.

For me, it's the 2nd option in the 14 inch which is far too high to justify.

So happy to recommend the 14 or 13 inch Macs for under the £1300 range, IF someone is looking for 13 or 14 inch.

If not then I'd find it hard to recommend a Mac over a PC laptop.