FM24 - PC/Laptop advice thread *** PLEASE READ OPENING POST BEFORE POSTING ***

Hey guys, 

i‘m looking for a new Laptop. Prefered 13 or 14 Inches. Budget is around 900£. 

mainly i will play Football Manager, browsing little bit, online Banking and doing taxes once a year. 

thought about the lenovo yoga slim 7. do you have any other suggestions?

thanks, Wendi. 

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all, due to the fact no FM touch this year with more than 30 seasons, I’ve had to get into full FM, laptop isn’t a fan of the game. Looking for a new laptop 15.6inches that’s not a gaming laptop due to the fact they are usually chunky and Heavy, budget around £700 to £800

10 minutes ago, zakbrown96 said:

Hi all, due to the fact no FM touch this year with more than 30 seasons, I’ve had to get into full FM, laptop isn’t a fan of the game. Looking for a new laptop 15.6inches that’s not a gaming laptop due to the fact they are usually chunky and Heavy, budget around £700 to £800

https://www.box.co.uk/X513EA-BQ349T-ASUS-VivoBook-15-Intel-Core-i7-16GB-RAM-_3555500.html

Hi,  I am looking for advice in buying a new desktop PC after relying on other family members used parts for 10 years!

I wish to be able to play FM with a fair number of fully simulated leagues (somewhere between benchmark B and benchmark C on this thread0- in other words,  most but not all leagues loaded,  but a fair number of them fully simulated) https://community.sigames.com/forums/topic/559348-fm22-performance-benchmarking-thread/)

I also play other games,  fairly casually,  things like racing games (Assetto Corsa,  F1 franchise),  Halo Infinite (hopefully),  Galactic Civilizations series,  Borderlands 3,  etc. 

I don't really know much about hardware costs, but I have around £1000-1250 (ish) to spend. I am prepared to wait on buying a GPU,  due to the high prices.  If I wait before buying the GPU  I wouldn't want to spend much more than £900 on the rest of the machine unless it cannot be avoided.  Honestly,  I am looking for something that wil allow me to game satisfactarily for 4-5-6 years at the cheapest price. 

I am ignorant of the technology,  so am open-minded to any suggestions you give.  I have been looking at the new Intel Core i5 12600K for the processor,  though knowing that there are new AMD chips coming out next year,  if there is a massive discount on a high end AMD Ryzen 5900X,  or something comparable,  I would also consider this.

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by Erratic Aspie

33 minutes ago, Erratic Aspie said:

Hi,  I am looking for advice in buying a new desktop PC after relying on other family members used parts for 10 years!

I wish to be able to play FM with a fair number of fully simulated leagues (somewhere between benchmark B and benchmark C on this thread0- in other words,  most but not all leagues loaded,  but a fair number of them fully simulated) https://community.sigames.com/forums/topic/559348-fm22-performance-benchmarking-thread/)

I also play other games,  fairly casually,  things like racing games (Assetto Corsa,  F1 franchise),  Halo Infinite (hopefully),  Galactic Civilizations series,  Borderlands 3,  etc. 

I don't really know much about hardware costs, but I have around £1000-1250 (ish) to spend. I am prepared to wait on buying a GPU,  due to the high prices.  If I wait before buying the GPU  I wouldn't want to spend much more than £900 on the rest of the machine unless it cannot be avoided.  Honestly,  I am looking for something that wil allow me to game satisfactarily for 4-5-6 years at the cheapest price. 

I am ignorant of the technology,  so am open-minded to any suggestions you give.  I have been looking at the new Intel Core i5 12600K for the processor,  though knowing that there are new AMD chips coming out next year,  if there is a massive discount on a high end AMD Ryzen 5900X,  or something comparable,  I would also consider this.

Thanks in advance. 

Are you looking to build it yourself or are you wanting to buy a pre-built?

1 hour ago, Erratic Aspie said:

Thanks in advance. 

Honestly, I think you'd need to temper your expectations as to what you can get for that kind of money at the moment.  As you've alluded to, prices are a bit crazy at the moment.  You're probably not going to be able to get the 5900X plus a decent graphics card within that budget.

This is a solid build which should match your requirements: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/zyMj3Z

And this is a very good prebuilt: https://www.box.co.uk/Cube-MSI-Dragon_2995919.html?config=2335908,2472017,2725847,3570396,3857175

Edit:  The build I've put up doesn't include a wi-fi card, so if you need wi-fi you'll need to factor that in as well.

Edited by kevhamster

Hi

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice. I have just bought a new gaming laptop and the match engine seems a little laggy on it. 

Any advice would be very much appreciated 

The laptop specs are:

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800H Processor
  • RAM: 16 GB / Storage: 512 GB SSD
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 6 GB
  • Quad HD screen / 165 Hz

Many thanks

Luke

10 minutes ago, Lukecr1 said:

Hi

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice. I have just bought a new gaming laptop and the match engine seems a little laggy on it. 

Any advice would be very much appreciated 

The laptop specs are:

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800H Processor
  • RAM: 16 GB / Storage: 512 GB SSD
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 6 GB
  • Quad HD screen / 165 Hz

Many thanks

Luke

1 hour ago, kevhamster said:

Honestly, I think you'd need to temper your expectations as to what you can get for that kind of money at the moment.  As you've alluded to, prices are a bit crazy at the moment.  You're probably not going to be able to get the 5900X plus a decent graphics card within that budget.

This is a solid build which should match your requirements: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/zyMj3Z

And this is a very good prebuilt: https://www.box.co.uk/Cube-MSI-Dragon_2995919.html?config=2335908,2472017,2725847,3570396,3857175

Edit:  The build I've put up doesn't include a wi-fi card, so if you need wi-fi you'll need to factor that in as well.

Thanks so much for all the information.  Yeah,  I suspected I may have been a tad optimistic.  As I said,  I am happy to park the graphics card for a year so the prices reach some vaguely affordable level,  since that is eating up a fair part of the budget.  The Intel Core i5 12600K seems to have really impressive performance at a accessible price point,  but comes with cost of newer motherboard and RAM.  I'm hoping that Black Friday Sales might make some difference to the cost of some of this stuff too.

5 hours ago, Wendi said:

Hey guys, 

mainly i will play Football Manager, browsing little bit, online Banking and doing taxes once a year. 

thanks, Wendi. 

Do yourself a favour and pick up a Macbook Air M1, best value money for Football Manager performance on that budget (for your requested screen size especially) - Amazon have it for £899.99 currently

Edited by Connor

13 minutes ago, Connor said:

Do yourself a favour and pick up a Macbook Air M1, best value money for Football Manager performance on that budget (for your requested screen size especially) - Amazon have it for £899.99 currently

Yep, @Connor if you want a 13 inch laptop, the M1 Macbook Air can't be matched at the moment.

38 minutes ago, Erratic Aspie said:

Thanks so much for all the information.  Yeah,  I suspected I may have been a tad optimistic.  As I said,  I am happy to park the graphics card for a year so the prices reach some vaguely affordable level,  since that is eating up a fair part of the budget.  The Intel Core i5 12600K seems to have really impressive performance at a accessible price point,  but comes with cost of newer motherboard and RAM.  I'm hoping that Black Friday Sales might make some difference to the cost of some of this stuff too.

The thing here is, if you go for a Ryzen 5 5600x, you're going to need a graphics card now as it doesn't have integrated graphics.

2 hours ago, Erratic Aspie said:

I already have a graphics card,  so on the assumption it is compatible,  that isn't a problem. 

Most graphics cards use the same slot on the motherboard so you're probably OK. 

Which card do you have? 

10 minutes ago, Erratic Aspie said:

I have an NVIDIA Geforce GTX 750 TI.

Yeah, that'll be fine for the motherboard. I also imagine it'll be OK for FM but is going to struggle with the other games you've mentioned I'd assume.

13 hours ago, kevhamster said:

If you can get the same spec for £324, and you're still getting a full 12 month warranty, then that seems like a good deal.

In terms of the brand, I've seen their laptops on the stores but don't know anything about them specifically.  I just base it on the spec of the laptop and take it from there.  My suggestion would be, if you're unsure, see if you can find reviews and see what they say.

Sorry to be a pain mate, but I ordered the one you recommended from Box and got it for £325 via ebay with a code. Since I ordered it I've come across an Asus one which I can get for £390 from AO, in your opinion which one is better of the two? Put the link to Currys not AO. Cheers.

https://www.box.co.uk/AVITA-LIBER-NS14A8UKV542-MB-Avita-Liber-V-14-Pro-Ryzen-5-8GB-RAM-256_3355367.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/asus-vivobook-x513ea-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i5-256-gb-ssd-black-10219262-pdt.html?awc=1599_1637191521_eff3e9948b094d87933afe5156d645df&srcid=369&xtor=AL-1&cmpid=aff~HotUKDeals~Discount+Code~47868~Pepper+Deals+Ltd

11 hours ago, spooner said:

@kevhamster I see a lot of your recommended laptops are on box. Do you know if they usually have good discounts for Black Friday and Cyber Monday?

To be clear - 

I originally started using Box - as it has the cleanest side menu for filtering.

Where we do find a lot of computers on box - it's really only for recommendation of Specs and Price.

Everyone is completlely free to find a similar/same computer on another site.

Box just has very good filtering.

7 minutes ago, Smurf said:

To be clear - 

I originally started using Box - as it has the cleanest side menu for filtering.

Where we do find a lot of computers on box - it's really only for recommendation of Specs and Price.

Everyone is completlely free to find a similar/same computer on another site.

Box just has very good filtering.

8 hours ago, AkkyBFC said:

Sorry to be a pain mate, but I ordered the one you recommended from Box and got it for £325 via ebay with a code. Since I ordered it I've come across an Asus one which I can get for £390 from AO, in your opinion which one is better of the two? Put the link to Currys not AO. Cheers.

https://www.box.co.uk/AVITA-LIBER-NS14A8UKV542-MB-Avita-Liber-V-14-Pro-Ryzen-5-8GB-RAM-256_3355367.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/asus-vivobook-x513ea-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i5-256-gb-ssd-black-10219262-pdt.html?awc=1599_1637191521_eff3e9948b094d87933afe5156d645df&srcid=369&xtor=AL-1&cmpid=aff~HotUKDeals~Discount+Code~47868~Pepper+Deals+Ltd

Hi mate, any chance you can give me advice on my post above that Kevhamster was helping me on? 

15 hours ago, Lukecr1 said:

Thank you, I have checked that and it seems to be the dedicated card that is selected

image.png.0dccf6c640c194a54688368cf0689ad3.png

I suggest you head to the Support Forum

20 hours ago, Wendi said:

Hey guys, 

thanks, Wendi. 

14 hours ago, Connor said:

14 hours ago, kevhamster said:

Yep, @Connor if you want a 13 inch laptop, the M1 Macbook Air can't be matched at the moment.

@Wendi

Where the basic mac book air 13 inch is very good - and not saying you shouldn't get one.

But on the off chance you don't want a Mac 

I have put together the following:

This comes in really strong

i7 1195G7
https://www.box.co.uk/U4-UD-70UK823SO-Gigabyte-U4-Intel-Core-i7-16GB-RAM-512GB_4090534.html

image.png.b828b87781ea3ae92b3cbc726615d452.png

This comes in a little lower (1 ranking which is nothing)

1165G7
https://www.box.co.uk/NX.A0MEK.008-Acer-Swift-3-(2021)-Intel-Core-i7-16GB-R_3213607.html

Both of these are very good options if you are not considering a Macbook Air 13 inch.

7 minutes ago, AkkyBFC said:

Hi mate, any chance you can give me advice on my post above that Kevhamster was helping me on? 

I'd go for the 2nd one.

With a view to upgrading to a larger SSD and RAM later on in life.

Hi Guys, I am looking to buy a new laptop over the next couple of months. It will be purely for playing FM and doing other minor things like internet browsing, emails etc.

My budget is anything up to £550 and I would appreciate any advice given! Thanks guys.

55 minutes ago, JDoodson said:

Hi Guys, I am looking to buy a new laptop over the next couple of months. It will be purely for playing FM and doing other minor things like internet browsing, emails etc.

My budget is anything up to £550 and I would appreciate any advice given! Thanks guys.

https://www.box.co.uk/53011TDL-001-Honor-MagicBook-14-(2021)-Intel-Core-i5-_3814505.html

1 hour ago, JDoodson said:

https://www.box.co.uk/30029417-Medion-Erazer-E10-Intel-Core-i5-8GB-RAM-_3201865.html

*edited

Edited by Smurf

Thank you fit the Suggestions guys! I think i will get the MacBook Air today or tomorrow. 

I‘m a little bit worried if it could be possible, that they stop releasing the Game for mac…like they cancelled the touch version completly. Do you think that is possible?

31 minutes ago, Wendi said:

Thank you fit the Suggestions guys! I think i will get the MacBook Air today or tomorrow. 

I‘m a little bit worried if it could be possible, that they stop releasing the Game for mac…like they cancelled the touch version completly. Do you think that is possible?

I don't think it's likely - it's been on the Mac for a long time. 

12 hours ago, kevhamster said:

Yeah, that'll be fine for the motherboard. I also imagine it'll be OK for FM but is going to struggle with the other games you've mentioned I'd assume.

Yeah,  I can just about manage Borderlands 3 on low settings at a decent framerate,  and racing games are fine,  but Halo Infinite won't even boot due to driver incompatibility.  But when GPU prices are 2.5 times RRP,  I'd rather wait until sanity (hopefully!) resumes.  Especially given that FM is a constitutes 60-70% of the time I spend gaming. 

With all this being said then,  do you reckon that a build incorporating my existing graphics card,  an Intel I5 12600 or (if on significant discount) a AMD Ryzen 5900X,  a motherboard that fits the CPU,  some DDR5 (am ambivalent between 16 or 32 GB) and all the other necessary stuff (cooling, case,  etc.) be affordable with a £800-£1000 budget?

Thanks so much for all the information. 

Edited by Erratic Aspie

29 minutes ago, Erratic Aspie said:

Yeah,  I can just about manage Borderlands 3 on low settings at a decent framerate,  and racing games are fine,  but Halo Infinite won't even boot due to driver incompatibility.  But when GPU prices are 2.5 times RRP,  I'd rather wait until sanity (hopefully!) resumes.  Especially given that FM is a constitutes 60-70% of the time I spend gaming. 

With all this being said then,  do you reckon that a build incorporating my existing graphics card,  an Intel I5 12600 or (if on significant discount) a AMD Ryzen 5900X,  a motherboard that fits the CPU,  some DDR5 (am ambivalent between 16 or 32 GB) and all the other necessary stuff (cooling, case,  etc.) be affordable with a £800-£1000 budget?

Thanks so much for all the information. 

Potentially, yes. Seems the i5 you mention is around the £270 mark. 

I'd suggest using the PC part picker website which I used to put a suggested build together for you, as you can select the components you want and includes the price as well.  It also alerts you to potential compatibility issues as well. 

22 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

Potentially, yes. Seems the i5 you mention is around the £270 mark. 

I'd suggest using the PC part picker website which I used to put a suggested build together for you, as you can select the components you want and includes the price as well.  It also alerts you to potential compatibility issues as well. 

Great,  I'll start having a more detailed look. 

Once again,  thanks for all your help.

30 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

For £400 that's a bargain.   I don't think you'll find better for that price.

Is there much difference between this laptop and the Honor Magicbook you recommended earlier? I have absolutely no idea when it comes to laptops😂

This has popped up today for £764.99

https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/ideapad/500-series/IdeaPad-5-Pro-16ACH6/p/82L5005BUK#

Ryzen 7 5800H

GTX 1650 

16GB 3200 RAM

512GB SSD

1440P

Can I get better for the money? Mostly intend to use it for FM and some moderate gaming as well as spreadsheet work and IT Dev work, so I'd rather prioritise CPU over GPU. Presumably this would run FM22 at near on the have highest settings?

The only bummer is that the RAM is soldered and can't be upgraded beyond 16GB. I'd like to keep this laptop for at least 5 years, so hoping it would be fairly future proof.

Any better deals below £800, please feel free to suggest.

Many Thanks.

7 hours ago, Smurf said:

I suggest you head to the Support Forum

@Wendi

Where the basic mac book air 13 inch is very good - and not saying you shouldn't get one.

But on the off chance you don't want a Mac 

I have put together the following:

This comes in really strong

i7 1195G7
https://www.box.co.uk/U4-UD-70UK823SO-Gigabyte-U4-Intel-Core-i7-16GB-RAM-512GB_4090534.html

image.png.b828b87781ea3ae92b3cbc726615d452.png

This comes in a little lower (1 ranking which is nothing)

1165G7
https://www.box.co.uk/NX.A0MEK.008-Acer-Swift-3-(2021)-Intel-Core-i7-16GB-R_3213607.html

Both of these are very good options if you are not considering a Macbook Air 13 inch.

Do note that this has not been benchmarked for FM yet, where as the M1 one has, so not a real life comparison yet (for FM)

23 hours ago, Connor said:

Is that a good machine even with 256gb SSD? 

1 hour ago, Bensb93 said:

This has popped up today for £764.99

https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/ideapad/500-series/IdeaPad-5-Pro-16ACH6/p/82L5005BUK#

Ryzen 7 5800H

GTX 1650 

16GB 3200 RAM

512GB SSD

1440P

Can I get better for the money? Mostly intend to use it for FM and some moderate gaming as well as spreadsheet work and IT Dev work, so I'd rather prioritise CPU over GPU. Presumably this would run FM22 at near on the have highest settings?

The only bummer is that the RAM is soldered and can't be upgraded beyond 16GB. I'd like to keep this laptop for at least 5 years, so hoping it would be fairly future proof.

Any better deals below £800, please feel free to suggest.

Many Thanks.

I posted that wanted to know same thing, if so I’m buying right away 😂

46 minutes ago, Connor said:

Do note that this has not been benchmarked for FM yet, where as the M1 one has, so not a real life comparison yet (for FM)

Nope - that's because not everyone is buying a thin and light 13/14 inch laptop and benchmarking it for FM.

Most people that come here are in the market for a 15 inch or larger. 

It's only recenlty that more and more people are benchmarking - which is great.
But a lot of the newer Macs are being benchmarked in some sort of fad to see who has the fastest computer.
And by the benchmarking thread - the M1 is not the fastest for FM.

Notebook checker was recommended to me by SI staff - https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmark-List.2436.0.html

And the higher up the list - generally the better.
Recently they added the M1 chips - so I trust their reviews and benchmarking and positional rank with other processors.

I also trust the SI staff to steer me correctly when giving out this information.

Not every PC users benchmark their PC - and theirs a wide range of PC users.
Plus - most PC buyers don't buy 13/14 inch thin and light laptops - or at least are benchmarking them 

You can extrapolate from the benchmark thread

List actually starts at 30 From the benchmark thread

1. M1    3.20 GHz
  2. i5 - UNKNOWN    3.10 GHz
  3. M1    3.20 GHz
  4. M1    3.20 GHz
  5. R5 3600x    3.80 Ghz
  6. R5 3600    3.60 GHz
  7. M1    3.20 GHz
  8. i7 - 8700K    3.70 GHz
  9. M1    3.20 GHz
  10. i7-7700K    4.20 GHz
  11. i5-10400    2.90 GHz

(no 11 above is actually 40)

some from the above list not available to compare
image.png.bde8ec4d985a877cda24c14aa09f80ec.png

So  yes - not all processors for PCs are benchmarked in the benchmark thread.

But I certainly do make sure that I pick a good one by using all the tools available to me.

13 minutes ago, bucket said:

Is that a good machine even with 256gb SSD? 

Capacity of SSD has not to do if a laptop is good or bad. Just a personal if someone want more storage. I have never been wanted more than 256 GB, for example, because that capacity is enough for OS and some local files (other files is being stored in external SSD drive). 

5 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Nope - that's because not everyone is buying a thin and light 13/14 inch laptop and benchmarking it for FM.

Most people that come here are in the market for a 15 inch or larger. 

It's only recenlty that more and more people are benchmarking - which is great.
But a lot of the newer Macs are being benchmarked in some sort of fad to see who has the fastest computer.
And by the benchmarking thread - the M1 is not the fastest for FM.

Notebook checker was recommended to me by SI staff - https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmark-List.2436.0.html

And the higher up the list - generally the better.
Recently they added the M1 chips - so I trust their reviews and benchmarking and positional rank with other processors.

I also trust the SI staff to steer me correctly when giving out this information.

Not every PC users benchmark their PC - and theirs a wide range of PC users.
Plus - most PC buyers don't buy 13/14 inch thin and light laptops - or at least are benchmarking them 

You can extrapolate from the benchmark thread

List actually starts at 30 From the benchmark thread

1. M1    3.20 GHz
  2. i5 - UNKNOWN    3.10 GHz
  3. M1    3.20 GHz
  4. M1    3.20 GHz
  5. R5 3600x    3.80 Ghz
  6. R5 3600    3.60 GHz
  7. M1    3.20 GHz
  8. i7 - 8700K    3.70 GHz
  9. M1    3.20 GHz
  10. i7-7700K    4.20 GHz
  11. i5-10400    2.90 GHz

(no 11 above is actually 40)

some from the above list not available to compare
image.png.bde8ec4d985a877cda24c14aa09f80ec.png

So  yes - not all processors for PCs are benchmarked in the benchmark thread.

But I certainly do make sure that I pick a good one by using all the tools available to me.

@ConnorNot the best data set - but it was just an example of how I can compare - I did this in a hurry - and lost my original post.
This was a 2nd attempt and I didn't clearly capture my data correctly in the screenshots.

But it's just to show you how I would normally compare for someone - and the steps I go through to ensure that they are being looked after. 

Again not all Laptops are being benchmarked -so it's difficult - we have to extrapolate the data and make a judgement call.