Suggestion - International Management

GreatMarinho

So FM16 was my first Football Manager, since then I bought the game every Year and have a lot of fun with it. But one thing what always bothered me is International Management.
While Club Management is great - the International Management feels like it being treated as an afterthought which is quite sad to be honest. 
And when we look at the competion reputation, then there are two international tournaments with the Champions League with the highest Prestige in game.

So my Suggestion bring it closer to club Management but also different. 

1. Give us a budget since the coaches want to get paid and the players might need some extra motivation - also it could determent the standard/quality of the "Team Camp" when you play a tournament.
(Let us Choose the Camp like Low and Bierhoff did in 2014) Also this could tied to travel cost and all other cost a international team has.
The money you make via sponsors, TV and Tournaments could be invested into a "Football Schools" (similar to Youth facilities) so a big football Nation like Germany could invest more money then Norway who didn't qualify for the EUROs I think you know what I mean. It should give a boost to the Attributes to the backroom staff generation and Coach seminars.

So NewGens players are produces by clubs as we all know but with that mention above NewGen Coaches with high stats could then be produced by a succesful national team.

2. Give us Staff sizes - In my Norwegian Beta save I had over 20 people in total as staff members. Because I had no limit so I could get all coaches in Norway.

3. What about Training? Ok here we do not need the same team training like the clubs have, but you could implement an International Team Training with different aspects first and foremost to get your players fit for the tournament because after a long season where you play like 60 games the players of course are tiered. So it could focus on the player "freshness". And instead of Induvidual training you could do something like Teamspirit which you are focous on gettin your team together as a team which could be influenced by attribues and if they play in the same League or Team.

4. Team Cohesion or Teamspirit is probably the most Important thing when It comes to a National team remember when France was sent home without a win at the 2010 World Cup? When Domenech and Anelka had a big dispute.
Or when Germany won the World Cup in 2014 the players said that the Teamspirit they had was very special. So it should be one aspect you have to manage which should also influenced by Players personalities, attributes ect.

5. Interactions with the Association President + Visions: So why do only clubs have goals or wishes? Besides, you can do things like preferred coaches from other nationality or preferred German Coaches something like that or a certain play style and of course the goals for upcoming tournaments.

6. National Pool and Scouting is kinda messy so especially when you manage a U19 because in the national pool there were often players who were too old to nominate so why don't we have 2 list one with your main team where you always get reports and a pool with players who are not nominated by any team (A-Team, u23, u21, u20, u19, u18) and need to be scouted by coaches, yourself or scouts. Sadly that aspect is bugged (Reported) atm in the current FM build.

7. More interactions with players - for example lets say there is a young you whant to test out. Atm you just play him and thats it even if you left Manuel Neuer on the bench. But in reality Neuer would say "What are you donig?!" so why can we talk to a player before the nomination and tell him that he can have a break and you wanted to try out new players but he shouldn't worry about his place in the Nationalteam. Which makes more sense in my opinon because, atm if I do not nominate him he starts crying.

8. In Germany we have something called "Abschiedsspiel" lets say Neuer decided to retire from the national team. Let us arrange or better declare a game to an Abschiedsspiel where your retiered player can play one last time as a captain and then is done. Also that should only be available when a player has played over 100 games for his nation.
Just like Lukas Podolski had on March, 22nd 2017 against England. That is very different to a Testimonial which is in FM.

Thats it for now. I really hope that with the Euros next year and the World Cup the Year after, FMs International Management gets a little more fleshed out ^^

Edited by GreatMarinho

• 4 weeks later...

I'd like these suggestions implemented too! I really want to get into international management, especially as an interesting way to start journeyman saves by taking over a youth team at international level, but the current set up with scouting talent, with knowledge lost and needing to be rehashed multiple times a year, is not fun or realistic.

• 4 weeks later...

All great suggestions.

I would also like to see more options to invest in a nations football infrastructure. We saw this in the real world all the time when a well known coach takes over a minnow nation and works with the local FA to improve the general standards in the country.

Arranging one-off friendly tournaments would be great too. If you are managing an emerging nation, inviting Brazil, and a couple of European teams to play a mini tournament would add to the realism

4 minutes ago, DodgeeD said:

Arranging one-off friendly tournaments would be great too. If you are managing an emerging nation, inviting Brazil, and a couple of European teams to play a mini tournament would add to the realism

A national team manager does not arrange tournaments.

1 hour ago, Carambau said:

A national team manager does not arrange tournaments.

You could say the same for a club manager but arranging  pre-season tournaments is part of the game. Would be good to have the same option for a friendly tournament in international management.

• 4 weeks later...