FM won't start

Hi Guys, 

Following strange problem occurs since today>> FM 2021 won't start>> I push  the button/ play/ start but the process stops without any sign or error etc. 

Re-installed the game but the same situation.  has someone any idea how to fix this? 

thanks!  

Peter  

Happening to me as well and yes, I have Avast.

I added those exclusions and they had no effect.

Only way I could run the game was to temporarily disable Avast.

Btw other Steam games were running fine so I'd suggest the issue is specifically the interaction between FM and Avast.

Edited by Lord Rowell
Added more info

Hello. I bought the game from the Microsoft store and everything well until today. I tried to load the game but my screen is black or the screen stays locked when I load the game start and goes out to Windows. I have Avast and it can not be antivirus problem as I have been able to play without problems. Any solution?

• Administrators

Yeah sorry folks - have posted this in our support thread which is hopefully of use. 

• We've been notified that users running Avast anti-virus are currently experiencing issues launching the game. We recommend updating Avast as a first step. If that doesn't work, we would suggest adding FM and Steam as exclusions/exceptions. If you still find you're experiencing issues, you can launch the game with Avast disabled, but we would recommend turning on another AV (such as the in built Windows one) before doing so.

1 hour ago, alex164164 said:

Adding exceptions in Avast (copying the folder details), worked immediately for me!

38 minutes ago, Lerwick Saint said:

Exceptions have worked for me.  Steam and FM.exe

Thanks folks. You're right it does work - I'd excepted the apps not the folders / files. Once I went down this route its fine.

Just for anyone else trying in future, this is the pathway (obviously depending what drive FM is installed on)

D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Football Manager 2021\fm.exe

Must have happened to me before as I've also got a pathway for Snooker 19 - damned if I can remember when I did that though! :D

Edited by Lord Rowell

The problem is with Avast, not FM.

I went back into Avast to make sure it was up to date. No reason it shouldn't have been as I had settings to automatically update.

However while my virus definitions were bang up to date, the Avast application hadn't updated since December 2020 - even though the display confirmed I had automatic updates already selected (!?!!?!?!).

I did a forced update. Then just out of curiousity, deleted the file exception I'd created. Ran FM and its fine.

So in summary the problem as I see from my end is Avast not automatically updating even when its been set to do so.