Do team stats matter at all? Just looked at them and nothing makes sense.

I just played a game against Sheffield United, I had 8 "one on ones" and missed them all, scored on a corner kick and won 1-0. My games are pretty much foretold, I get all the chances, really big ones too, their keeper gets an 8+ and I win 1-0 ... 2-1 ... etc. I actually took a little time to analyze the Sheffield game and I couldn´t really wrap my head around the misses, opportunities most decent strikers would at least have a 50% conversion.

I havn´t looked much at team stats and it turns out that I have scored less than both Tottenham and Liverpool, I have 111 "one on ones" and Liverpool have 38. All my players are elite or world class described, professional and I have one inconsistent player in my team, a right winger.

My tactics are plain simple, 4-4-2 fast and fluid, just a notch below fastest tempo and shorter passing (not the shortest). My objective is to win, 1-0 is fine even if I should have won 10-0 .... which I do in the CL, different rules there I guess. Had a 12-0 vs Barca and just demolished Bayern.

Since I have won the league 9 times in a row this is a luxury "problem" which has persisted throughout the 9 seasons, taking XG and "one on ones" into account and comparing these to other teams I should be scoring far more. The only consistent happening is their team getting 6.2 .. their keeper gets 8+ with the very rare bad performance. My golden glove keeper maintains a nice rating of 6.9 throughout the season, to be fair he never has bad games ... nor good ones.

In comparison my Spennymore side is far more effective in all stats, I am sitting 9th with them, 4th season ... and can´t get that promotion ... but I am only allowed to sign certain players. When they do get a one on one they usually score.

If my team was as effective in this season as Liverpool I would have scored 124 goals instead of the 48 I have now ... and the funny thing is that I employ "work the ball into the box" while Pool uses long shots. So, what are stats really for?

Stats.jpg

I don't think clear cut chances equates to one on one and what exactly the game constitutes a CCC isn't exactly clear cut. 

The immediate assumption would be that as a multiple, consecutive winning champion you rarely come up against teams who are prepared to attack and will look to sit back, frustrate and try to get a goal on a counter. So you might indeed be getting chances up close to the goal, but with multiple players in the way, putting pressure on the forward and so on. In the Champions league you're more likely to come up against teams who will be less cautious/defensively minded - especially once they've gone a few behind. This does mean sometimes there can be situations in later stage cup football with snowballing scores for/against you as teams swing to the more extreme ends of the spectrum in terms of attacking play. 

In any instance where you're creating an enormous amount of chances, but getting very few goals its worth raising it as a possible bug just for the ME team to investigate and see what is going on with a few match uploads. The ME will almost always have certain soft spots where certain styles of play can produce skewed stats. 

I went in and played 2 more games, won one 1-0 with identical stats as the following picture against Leeds. Lost the following on penalties and isolated it´s perfectly fair, it could happen in real life that my team missed 14 clear cut chances while they missed 1 ... and I am not being sarcastic. It´s when it happens every single game without exceptions and if you look at 20 minutes or so of the gameplay nothing makes sense.

In my opinion SI should just remove team stats from the game and again, not being sarcastic. They seemed to be fine in the first 9-10 seasons and then it´s like the game broke.

... and their keeper getting 8.8 again ...

Santy: You are absolutely right about CCC not being entirely clear cut, I watched a bit of it and they were "biggish" but not clear cut, a couple though even I would have scored on.

hehe.jpg

Edited by AurioDK

@AurioDK - The last update seems to have implemented a bug for CCCs, in that any header from a corner is a CCC. I hope it will be fixed for the next update, but for the mean time, take the CCC with a grain of salt.

I'm not sure if it is still the case, but CCCs were bugged in the last patch, with people reporting huge numbers which clearly should not have been logged. And even then, you take them with a pinch of salt. Judge your chances yourself, because FM has never been great at this aspect. 

Stats point to problems and successes. I have the opposite situation. I regularly exceed my xG and win games where I have less possession and shots. Mostly because I focus on creating high quality chances. Although at the moment I am going through a spell where every shot on target is a goal against me (these things happen). 

2 minutes ago, AurioDK said:

I went in and played 2 more games, won one 1-0 with identical stats as the following picture against Leeds. Lost the following on penalties and isolated it´s perfectly fair, it could happen in real life that my team missed 14 clear cut chances while they missed 1 ... and I am not being sarcastic. It´s when it happens every single game without exceptions and if you look at 20 minutes or so of the gameplay nothing makes sense.

In my opinion SI should just remove team stats from the game and again, not being sarcastic. They seemed to be fine in the first 9-10 seasons and then it´s like the game broke.

hehe.jpg

This is clearly an example of the bugged CCC thing as well, I am certain of that. 14 CCCs in a game with an xG of 2.67 is incompatible. So if nothing else you can include that as a bug report.

It is, of course, nonsense to suggest that team stats be removed. just do not focus on them if you do not like them. Instead look at the game and see why you did not convert your chances. 

The quest to understand team stats goes much deeper though and requires analysis of multiple further aspects. You had 27 shots, 12 on target as a team. But who did they fall to, and where? If there's a particular player who stands out as wasteful - you then need to find out why. Is he shooting when other options are available? Then you need to consider PI's and PPM's and his attributes. If there aren't other options available then you have to consider why this is tactically, maybe another player should be available and staying to offer an option but a PPM is running contrary to tactical instruction. 

Team stats provide an at a glance view of, which you sit there and think "Should have won that game based on the stats" but they lack nuance and context.

1 minute ago, sporadicsmiles said:

I'm not sure if it is still the case, but CCCs were bugged in the last patch, with people reporting huge numbers which clearly should not have been logged. And even then, you take them with a pinch of salt. Judge your chances yourself, because FM has never been great at this aspect. 

Stats point to problems and successes. I have the opposite situation. I regularly exceed my xG and win games where I have less possession and shots. Mostly because I focus on creating high quality chances. Although at the moment I am going through a spell where every shot on target is a goal against me (these things happen). 

This is clearly an example of the bugged CCC thing as well, I am certain of that. 14 CCCs in a game with an xG of 2.67 is incompatible. So if nothing else you can include that as a bug report.

It is, of course, nonsense to suggest that team stats be removed. just do not focus on them if you do not like them. Instead look at the game and see why you did not convert your chances. 

I agree and wasn´t really upset, just confused. I watched about 15 minutes of the game + highlights and my team should have scored on 5 chances of which 3 were clear cut, the rest weren´t really clear cut ... just decent opportunities. I am actually happy my keeper saved 2 shots :).

Opposing keepers overperforming is definitely an issue though and I think I know why, once you get in to the green 7+ players gain confidence, seen it with my playmaker who actually plays mezzala, he never has a bad game due to being a set piece taker as well, one or two good set pieces puts him on a roll and he becomes unstoppable. My keeper on the other hand never gets the chance to get in the green. Could be .. don´t know.

1 hour ago, XaW said:

@AurioDK - The last update seems to have implemented a bug for CCCs, in that any header from a corner is a CCC. I hope it will be fixed for the next update, but for the mean time, take the CCC with a grain of salt.

But if we assume that CCC is broken the way you've described it shouldn't it result in all teams having much more CCC not just player team? I mean all teams have corners and probably most of these when result with shot on target it's by header.

35 minutes ago, Orion_ said:

But if we assume that CCC is broken the way you've described it shouldn't it result in all teams having much more CCC not just player team? I mean all teams have corners and probably most of these when result with shot on target it's by header.

I don´t actually know as my team rarely lets the opponents get a sniff which means they don´t get a lot of corners, so in my case I can´t really use that argument. You would have to look at CCC numbers in more tightly contested matches.

The CCC's are counted all wrong, you can look at your total xg and that xg-chart and see that there isn't 14 big jumps in your xG creating throughout the game. You often see xG around 2 - 2.5 and 10-15CCCs now, the numbers simply dont add up.