Players running ball out of play

So as the title suggests I’m wondering why this happens. A defender clears the ball and one of my players goes for it and instead of seeing it out of play they touch it and gives the opposition a throw in. I noticed this happened a lot in last years edition but I just thought it would get fixed for the new game. It’s still happening. Any reason why?

3 hours ago, Ronnieekelund said:

I read it as its a bug which hasn't been fixed in 5 years but hey ho 🤪 

What would the bug be? that your player doesnt recognize that he's not under pressure?

If there is a bug there, why doesn't it happen every time? and all over the pitch?

Just trying to reason here, I dont have the answer, I just feel like the ME and the highlights it chooses tries to talk to you and tell you what's good and bad with your plays.

There's no need for a player to chase down a loose ball just in order to touch it before it goes over the line.

Really, there isn't.

Still, I'd really like to see that in a real match. Imagine Messi running after a ball and slamming it over his team's byline without any other player chasing him.

2 hours ago, Prej said:

There's no need for a player to chase down a loose ball just in order to touch it before it goes over the line.

Really, there isn't.

Still, I'd really like to see that in a real match. Imagine Messi running after a ball and slamming it over his team's byline without any other player chasing him.

Lets not pretend it never happens in real life, It does. It is the frequency in the game that it happens that people have issues with

27 minutes ago, cris182 said:

Lets not pretend it never happens in real life, It does. 

Ok, so let's say you're a footballer,

You're playing a match. The opposing midfielder passes to his striker. The striker can't reach the pass, and the ball is now harmlessly rolling towards your byline.

Do you:

a) Let the ball pass the byline.

b) Chase after the ball and nudge it over the byline thus giving away a corner kick and earning yourself some questions from your manager and fellow players.

c) It's not the game, it's your tactics.

20 minutes ago, Prej said:

Ok, so let's say you're a footballer,

You're playing a match. The opposing midfielder passes to his striker. The striker can't reach the pass, and the ball is now harmlessly rolling towards your byline.

Do you:

a) Let the ball pass the byline.

b) Chase after the ball and nudge it over the byline thus giving away a corner kick and earning yourself some questions from your manager and fellow players.

c) It's not the game, it's your tactics.

Did you even read the post before you trimmed it? I agree it is stupid but it does happen, It needs to happen a lot less in the game though

3 hours ago, Prej said:

Really, there isn't.

You won't see it at Messi's level, but when I was watching Div 2 football 20 years ago, it happened.

19 hours ago, zindrinho said:

What would the bug be? that your player doesnt recognize that he's not under pressure?

If there is a bug there, why doesn't it happen every time? and all over the pitch?

Just trying to reason here, I dont have the answer, I just feel like the ME and the highlights it chooses tries to talk to you and tell you what's good and bad with your plays.

What Prej said. No player chases after a ball just to dribble off the pitch for a throwing to the opposition. Come on now stop defending everything fm does.

7 hours ago, cris182 said:

Lets not pretend it never happens in real life, It does. It is the frequency in the game that it happens that people have issues with

I've never seen that happen in the 30 years I've been watching football or the 20 years I've been playing it.

2 minutes ago, Ronnieekelund said:

I've never seen that happen in the 30 years I've been watching football or the 20 years I've been playing it.

You've never seen a player have a heavy touch and couldn't reach the ball before going out for a throw/corner/goal kick?

That happens pretty much every game in real life, but in FM it happens a bit too much for me. I'd like to see a better animation for a miscontrolled touch (which is what actually happens in the ones I've seen it), because I think that would make it more obvious for the user that the reason is a poor first touch/technique/decision/combination of skills/etc by the player.

11 minutes ago, XaW said:

You've never seen a player have a heavy touch and couldn't reach the ball before going out for a throw/corner/goal kick?

That happens pretty much every game in real life, but in FM it happens a bit too much for me. I'd like to see a better animation for a miscontrolled touch (which is what actually happens in the ones I've seen it), because I think that would make it more obvious for the user that the reason is a poor first touch/technique/decision/combination of skills/etc by the player.

Yes I've seen that but I've never seen how fm depicts it. What you are describing is completely different, its not a bad touch from a player that takes the ball out, they randomly dribble the ball off the pitch.

2 minutes ago, Ronnieekelund said:

Yes I've seen that but I've never seen how fm depicts it. What you are describing is completely different, its not a bad touch from a player that takes the ball out, they randomly dribble the ball off the pitch.

From what I understand, that's what it it's supposed to mirror, it's just not clear enough that it's a miscontrol, a heavy touch, or something similar. So I'd want the animation to keep improving for future versions, because lack of animations can lead to misunderstandings such as this. I mean, if it had been clearer that the player made a mistake you'll understand why it happens. And all players, no matter the quality, will make the occasional mistake like that.

I've noticed that defenders are definitely in the 'if in doubt, get it out' camp.  Often they just blaze the ball into Row Z behind the goal under little or no pressure.  Indeed in my Champions League game against Real Madrid yesterday, my goalie rolled it out to my CB (I have play out of defence set) about 10 yards out from goal; he took two touches then turned round and smashed it into the crowd behind the goal!  Now this is very unusual, but often the defenders make no attempt to clear for a throw in, or keep it in play, rather they choose to just hoof it behind for a corner.

12 minutes ago, XaW said:

From what I understand, that's what it it's supposed to mirror, it's just not clear enough that it's a miscontrol, a heavy touch, or something similar.

Exactly, it's a game trying to show an animation for what supposedly happens. I agree it doesn't look the best, but thats not what a bug is. That's my point here, if it was a bug it would happen all over the pitch, that players arent aware of their surroundings.

As you see your team losing confidence and start playing worse it happens more often, which leads me to think its the game trying to show you there's a mental barrier going on here.

12 hours ago, Prej said:

Really, there isn't.

Or runs to the ball that’s going out and instead of saving it, they clears it with intensity 2 inches out of play lol

Cannot believe people are defending/making excuses for this. I (and also I know, from previous discussions, many others) see frequently, for example, the ball getting cleared and going out for your throw in but then one of your players will sprint 30 or 40 yards for the ball - with no one from the opposition anywhere near or interested in going after it - and inexplicably run it out of play and keep running until they hit the physical border of the ad hoardings.

That's not just the game struggling to represent the animation of a poor touch going out of play, the whole decision making and passage of play is unrealistic, inexplicable, and tbh "bad" and needs eliminating from the game in future versions.