Football Manager 2021 Official Feedback Thread

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, zyfon5 said:

believe it or not last year my top assist type for one of my tactics is through balls despite people saying it is impossible to create space down the middle. Space in the middle does not just appear like that. You need movement from other players to drag defenders around to create that space. And unfortunately most tactics that I have seen from others failed at that.

The in game stats for assists were dodgy as all hell. I had a few tactics claim they had lots of through ball assists. My eyes told me something else.

42 minutes ago, SebastianRO said:

Have a look at where the arrow is poining in my screenshot above. I don't have any players that have "shoot from distance" option. That combined with Work Ball into Box team instruction and great decision makers up front / all across the midfield really.

They're most likely just direct free kicks. Have a look at the long shots in your match analysis 

3 hours ago, Fmfan00 said:

I mean i purchased this at like 4pm Est friday afternoon and now 2:50am saturday morning so not sure how much longer it should take lol... no problem ill give that stream idea a try even though I have already done it once. I closed FM21. Shutdown stream restarted stream. restarted fm21 and still noting

image.thumb.png.94b95e82b0dcc301d87d37dd991fd0ed.png

Might be worth talking to the skin creator, since it looks like they've put a face where the editor button would be.

EDIT: Just spotted you fixed it, and that it was the custom skin.

• VAR checks for offsides are pointless. They are offside 100% of the time. 
  • Almost every header loops over the crossbar
  • What's going on with the tactical familiarity? One minute there are no concerns about it when I enter a match, then the very next match 10 players have concerns about lacking familiarity. It makes no sense. You're either familiar with the tactic or you aren't, it shouldn't change from one match to the next 

33 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

They're most likely just direct free kicks. Have a look at the long shots in your match analysis 

I did have a look before I circled the point ... They are mostly from long range, not free kicks. Just inexplicable shooting instead of trying  a through ball (like they did in the Beta).

1 hour ago, SebastianRO said:

@bcereus @johnhughthom @jeru @Mr Tonio

So, I decided to post some screenshots with regards to what people are claiming about nerfing central play. I personally don't think there is a magical button to nerf central play, but whatever has happened it affected players (even the super creative ones) and they are much more inclined to pass the ball to the easiest target. Now, I am playing a 4-4-2 narrow, so naturally I will have the midfield congested. Yes, the ball will be played out wide in order to keep posession / penetrate, but a significant ammount of key passes should be happening through the middle. This was the case before the full release. I haven't changed a thing (tactically) since the full release, just because I wanted to compare apples for apples. The screenshots you are about to see are for my team's key passes. I know this doesn't tell the "full story", but is a good indication of how my team tries to penetrate the opponent's team. I don't need screenshots / number or other people (no matter who they are) to tell me what I am seeing, but since you are not watching my games, here it is:

This is an album with screenshots for the BETA Matches:

https://imgur.com/a/7bSaefY

This is an album with screenshots for the Full Release:

https://imgur.com/a/LnIVWZ8

And here it is a screenshot of my tactic that I have been using for a few seasons. It's pretty basic and I use only a few individual instructions, mostly related to closing down opposition.

vqs8lnm.jpg

Have a look at where the arrow is poining in my screenshot above. I don't have any players that have "shoot from distance" option. That combined with Work Ball into Box team instruction and great decision makers up front / all across the midfield really.

To conclude this post: I am not a computer programmer, so I have no clue what exactly was changed and I am not making my life's mission to speculate. What I do care about is the fact that I am starting to see that dreaded FM20 passing out wide / always going for the easiest option / lack of "balls" from my playmakers in situations I cannot put in numbers, etc. Before beta, my playmakers, especially the advanced one, would try all sorts of passes for the AF. He wouldn't always find him, obviously, but at least he would try enough to make me feel like he is taking his role seriously. After the full release ... not so much. It's not as bad as FM20 was, but now I am only seeing glimpses of what I have seen in the BETA and the norm has become almost what FM20 was. Again, I don't know what changed, knowingly or unknowingly and this is what I am not acusing anyone of doing anything malicious. All I am saying is that I think it's worth a look under the hood and maybe take the feedback on board. Or not ...

P.S

No, I am not upset about not winning / not scoring, since I do win and score accoring to my epectations. Won the league for the past 2 seasons ( I am in 2024/2025 season ) and managed to get as far as the semi-finals in UCL which is what I expected anyway. This post is about the "journey" , not the "destination" if you get what I mean.

I think it's worth for mods to take a look at this post. This is the rational feedback you are looking for, so instead of trying to calm salty angry guys down, it might be beneficial to check this.

I'm seeing the same btw, my AP has most touches, but very little amount of penetrative passes, most dangerous plays come from Ws and IWs. In any case ME is a huge step forward from FM 20, but yet again 20 was the lowest point, so...

55 minutes ago, kiwityke said:

The in game stats for assists were dodgy as all hell. I had a few tactics claim they had lots of through ball assists. My eyes told me something else.

But have you personally go and count every goal to see if they are accurate though? I have and from the few times of my calculation they are accurate except a few times where it can be difficult to distinguish the type of assist. Your eyes can deceive if you do not record everything down. I can give you many examples where your impression can deceive you but you should get the point.

So, I decided to post some screenshots with regards to what people are claiming about nerfing central play. I personally don't think there is a magical button to nerf central play, but whatever has happened it affected players (even the super creative ones) and they are much more inclined to pass the ball to the easiest target. Now, I am playing a 4-4-2 narrow, so naturally I will have the midfield congested. Yes, the ball will be played out wide in order to keep posession / penetrate, but a significant ammount of key passes should be happening through the middle. This was the case before the full release. I haven't changed a thing (tactically) since the full release, just because I wanted to compare apples for apples. The screenshots you are about to see are for my team's key passes. I know this doesn't tell the "full story", but is a good indication of how my team tries to penetrate the opponent's team. I don't need screenshots / number or other people (no matter who they are) to tell me what I am seeing, but since you are not watching my games, here it is:

And here it is a screenshot of my tactic that I have been using for a few seasons. It's pretty basic and I use only a few individual instructions, mostly related to closing down opposition.

vqs8lnm.jpg

To conclude this post: I am not a computer programmer, so I have no clue what exactly was changed and I am not making my life's mission to speculate. What I do care about is the fact that I am starting to see that dreaded FM20 passing out wide / always going for the easiest option / lack of "balls" from my playmakers in situations I cannot put in numbers, etc. Before beta, my playmakers, especially the advanced one, would try all sorts of passes for the AF. He wouldn't always find him, obviously, but at least he would try enough to make me feel like he is taking his role seriously. After the full release ... not so much. It's not as bad as FM20 was, but now I am only seeing glimpses of what I have seen in the BETA and the norm has become almost what FM20 was. Again, I don't know what changed, knowingly or unknowingly and this is what I am not acusing anyone of doing anything malicious. All I am saying is that I think it's worth a look under the hood and maybe take the feedback on board. Or not ...

P.S

No, I am not upset about not winning / not scoring, since I do win and score accoring to my epectations. Won the league for the past 2 seasons ( I am in 2024/2025 season ) and managed to get as far as the semi-finals in UCL which is what I expected anyway. This post is about the "journey" , not the "destination" if you get what I mean.

Can you repost this in the tactics forum? Your tactic is not suited for the playstyle that you want to achieve but with a few tweaks you can get what you want eventually. It is better for you to receive advice in the tactics forum. And also posting screenshots of key passes alone does not tell anything why your tactic does not work. One team could have played with 2DM shutting all the passing lanes in the middle and one team could have play with 2 CM leaving the middle open.

Started my Gillingham save in League One. Tried to negotiate the club vision, but this is what I ended up with:

751937191_Screenshot2020-11-28at11_57_26.thumb.png.801c131640f2fe84fcf604a064c05e58.png

These are the current Gillingham Facilities:

1843276423_Screenshot2020-11-28at11_55_55.thumb.png.b87c5f312db586c510b54d2e14594db8.png

And this is the current financial situation, also note they want to build a new stadium in 5 years..

821915069_Screenshot2020-11-28at11_58_47.thumb.png.ade866562ea1c965fd4a380aeedc711d.png

I also tried to remove entertaining football but they wouldn't have that either. I don't know if this is a data issue or something, but certainly not what I expected.

Also I'm from Gillingham, good luck finding any land to build a new stadium lol

Edited by craiigman

17 minutes ago, zyfon5 said:

Can you repost this in the tactics forum? Your tactic is not suited for the playstyle that you want to achieve but with a few tweaks you can get what you want eventually. It is better for you to receive advice in the tactics forum. And also posting screenshots of key passes alone does not tell anything why your tactic does not work. One team could have played with 2DM shutting all the passing lanes in the middle and one team could have play with 2 CM leaving the middle open.

So why do not think that tactic would work there

I did have a look before I circled the point ... They are mostly from long range, not free kicks. Just inexplicable shooting instead of trying  a through ball (like they did in the Beta).

Right oh mate, just thought I'd rule that out 

Also, as feedback I would say that:

When a penalty is awarded for our teams, we get a message in the bottom left corner that allows us to change the penalty taker for that specific penalty. This is a good feature that existed for a while, but now we have a split second to react and actually change the taker. Unless you have hunter reflexes you will miss it before it goes away and there is nothing you can do about it. Please allow us at least 3-4 seconds to make a decision.

1 hour ago, Pav_Makarov said:

I think it's worth for mods to take a look at this post. This is the rational feedback you are looking for, so instead of trying to calm salty angry guys down, it might be beneficial to check this.

I'm seeing the same btw, my AP has most touches, but very little amount of penetrative passes, most dangerous plays come from Ws and IWs. In any case ME is a huge step forward from FM 20, but yet again 20 was the lowest point, so...

If people have something they want looked at, they should be putting up Pkms and the like in the bugs forums

Il y a 2 heures, SebastianRO a dit :

vqs8lnm.jpg

P.S

Great post. Totally agree with you.

1 hour ago, craiigman said:

Started my Gillingham save in League One. Tried to negotiate the club vision, but this is what I ended up with:

751937191_Screenshot2020-11-28at11_57_26.thumb.png.801c131640f2fe84fcf604a064c05e58.png

These are the current Gillingham Facilities:

1843276423_Screenshot2020-11-28at11_55_55.thumb.png.b87c5f312db586c510b54d2e14594db8.png

And this is the current financial situation, also note they want to build a new stadium in 5 years..

821915069_Screenshot2020-11-28at11_58_47.thumb.png.ade866562ea1c965fd4a380aeedc711d.png

I also tried to remove entertaining football but they wouldn't have that either. I don't know if this is a data issue or something, but certainly not what I expected.

Also I'm from Gillingham, good like finding any land to build a new stadium lol

And the board rejected all requests to improve youth related requests.. Typical Paul Scally.

2 hours ago, akkm said:

So why do not think that tactic would work there

That tactic could work but it is unlikely that it will get too much central play. This forum is not the best if we want to go into details into tactics.

In beta, in the red square, there was another touchline tablet and now there isnt. So is there any way to add second touchline tablet or at least give a option to always choose my team's formation because I have clearer picture of my team. 

Lyon v Brest_ Pitch.png

2 minutes ago, Bakiano said:

In beta, in the red square, there was another touchline tablet and now there isnt. So is there any way to add second touchline tablet or at least give a option to always choose my team's formation because I have clearer picture of my team. 

Lyon v Brest_ Pitch.png

Stretch the tablet into that space by dragging the left edge?

Although its not a game changer either way, FM21's decision to eliminate the conversation history between you and players is an unnecessary downgrade.  Being able to look back and see what I told players and when was helpful when I was deciding to talk to a player again on an issue.  Importantly, having the conversation history available didn't require any actions on my part; it was just here and available to be used as needed.

It simply makes no sense at all to eliminate it.  What is the reason?  Realism?  Don't make me laugh.  In real life, coaches (and workers of all kinds) would have a contact database with these sorts of notes in them.  Why should I as a player be forced to take more time away from the fun aspects of the game and use the "Create note" feature to do what previously was done automatically.  It's annoying and unnecessary.  Total failure.

Please consider fixing this and reinstituting conversation history in a future update. 

1 hour ago, 4football said:

Is there any topic about headers that goes over the top bar all of the time?
Except this one:

For me: whenever player take a header pretty often it goes over the bar. Attributes does not matter.

I've literally just fired up my save and conceded a header from a cross...

Update: Just conceded another header in my match, 2 goals, 2 headers - don't see any issues with going over the bar (unfortunately).

Edited by Luizinho

29 minutes ago, zyfon5 said:

That tactic could work but it is unlikely that it will get too much central play. This forum is not the best if we want to go into details into tactics.

Thing is as his screenshots show he was getting central play during beta and not after so that's indicative something has changed without knowing full story of tactics of opposition and all that but he's saying his tactics hadn't changed so something has quite what that is im not sure. I of course accept SI saying minimal changes to match engine. 

On central play there's nothing to suggest those tactics wouldn't generate central play in the real world. Yeah some element of potential clog but dynamic movement from two forwards to drag central defenders out of position and from AMP to find pockets of space even with DMs to play forwards or midfield runners should absolutely generate central play. Can depend on quality of players but well simulated movement and decision making would and should absolutely generate central play it isn't really something which requires tactical forum discussion. If its not generating that then thats an fm issue really there

13 minutes ago, Bakiano said:

Lyon v Brest_ Pitch.png

It drags out click edge

After playing some time here are my thoughts on the game and the match engine:

First and the most important the match engine is much improved from the 2020 and I think this is the best match engine in years. Here are the positives:

1. I can finally see players (defenders) reacting badly under pressure and making mistakes and clearing the ball. The is very much similar to the real life so I am really pleased.

2. Goalkeapers are much better than before.

3. Finishing and 1-1 conversion is much better and realistic.

4. I can see good team play and also see geat through balls.

5. Generally the gameplay feels more natural and polished.

Now for the few negatives that I noticed so far:

1. Players still shoot from angles that should have crossed the ball.

2. Fullbacks are too often left unmarked.

3. Unrealistic 1-time passes from centrall players to fullbacks that are always accurate even from not quality players.

4. Players too often make return passes when they should cross the ball.

All in all the game is very nice but I hope that these remarks are heard by SI and fixed.

Edited by damjanovski

Just did some statistical analysis of 5 games during beta and 5 games during the current game, with the same tactic.

I found that the cross success rate has gone up, but only for the wingers, not for the full backs. For the wingers it went up by 10%points: from 9.8% and 21.6% to 20.25% and 30.75%. Also the cross success rate of my AMC (cornerkick taker) has gone up from 12% to 30.75%. For the fullbacks is has dropped from 23.8% and 24% to 19% and 23.5%. Not a lot, but with results of the wingers, it is quite a contrast. The number of crosses on the other had has dropped quite a bit: from 48.2 to 37.5, or about 23% less.

Correlated with this: the interceptions. A "blocked cross" as we saw it was actually registered as an intercepted pass and I see that in the stats as well. The number of interceptions done by the wing players (fullbacks and wingers) has dropped from 4.65 per game to 3.625 per game while the interceptions from central players has gone up: from 3 to 4. 

The number of key passes from central players CM's and AMC has remained about the same: 3.4, 0.8 and 4.4 to 1.5, 0.75 and 4.75. 

Of course, this is only a small sample size of 5 games in beta and in the current game. The small changes are maybe not significant enough. The big difference for me is in the crossing, which (for me) is significant, both in success rate as in number of crosses.

5 hours ago, SebastianRO said:

vqs8lnm.jpg

P.S

Thank you for this, I'm not going to be able to do anything close to this because I honestly don't have the time. It's much appreciated that other users on this forum who can be more coherent and spend the time to provide this are here.

I've played this game for years, my beta experience was fantastic this year and then something happened because I'm seeing the football I saw in FM 20 again. This post confirms some of my suspicions but I always like to do the eye test, I know what I see and feel watching on comprehensive.

40 minutes ago, akkm said:

Thing is as his screenshots show he was getting central play during beta and not after so that's indicative something has changed without knowing full story of tactics of opposition and all that but he's saying his tactics hadn't changed so something has quite what that is im not sure. I of course accept SI saying minimal changes to match engine. 

On central play there's nothing to suggest those tactics wouldn't generate central play in the real world. Yeah some element of potential clog but dynamic movement from two forwards to drag central defenders out of position and from AMP to find pockets of space even with DMs to play forwards or midfield runners should absolutely generate central play. Can depend on quality of players but well simulated movement and decision making would and should absolutely generate central play it isn't really something which requires tactical forum discussion. If its not generating that then thats an fm issue really there

If its that much of an issue he should upload the games along with a bug report on the bug forum. Then SI can look at the games in question and address the issue, if there legitimately is one. 

2 hours ago, SebastianRO said:

This is not a bug and therefore no pkms are needed. This is feedback and it exists in the thread it should exist in. So you are saying that this post would not be looked at because ... it exists in the feedback thread ?

It doesn't need to be a bug, if you think match play can be improved, then give them pkm examples too, so they can have a look at what the code is doing at the time. 

4 hours ago, Pav_Makarov said:

I've mentioned this before, there is a lot of immediate jumping to the defence of things that don't need defending. This is a feedback thread, people are giving feedback, not everything is a "bug", not everything needs a frosty harsh response.

1 minute ago, AllyJoseph said:

I've mentioned this before, there is a lot of immediate jumping to the defence of things that don't need defending. This is a feedback thread, people are giving feedback, not everything is a "bug", not everything needs a frosty harsh response.

And the best feedback on match stuff is a pkm. Because it contains code. Doesn't need to be an obvious bug, if you think there's not enough centre play, then Pkms of that is really useful. Which is why we say post it

Although its not a game changer either way, FM21's decision to eliminate the conversation history between you and players is an unnecessary downgrade.  Being able to look back and see what I told players and when was helpful when I was deciding to talk to a player again on an issue.  Importantly, having the conversation history available didn't require any actions on my part; it was just here and available to be used as needed.

It simply makes no sense at all to eliminate it.  What is the reason?  Realism?  Don't make me laugh.  In real life, coaches (and workers of all kinds) would have a contact database with these sorts of notes in them.  Why should I as a player be forced to take more time away from the fun aspects of the game and use the "Create note" feature to do what previously was done automatically.  It's annoying and unnecessary.  Total failure.

Please consider fixing this and reinstituting conversation history in a future update. 

Given the speed improvement s we have seen this year I wonder if this was one of things cut to make for a more streamlined experience. Must admit it's not an area I've ever used much. 

5 minutes ago, AllyJoseph said:

Asking someone to post examples in the bugs forum is normal. Whether you want to call it a "bug" or whatever, that is up to you. If something gets noticed, we're going to ask that user to post examples in the bugs forum. That's not defending anything - that's just getting the person with examples to post them where it's needed and we can all have an improved game. Posting examples in the bugs forum (whether PKM or save games) helps SI and that gets bugs logged faster or enough examples gathered faster so a fix can be worked on faster.

12 hours ago, Rashidi said:

Your point is equally valid when I turn it around and point it back at you.  For one thing it’s entirely possible that you don’t know what the team instructions do in combination.  

There are some issues of that I have no doubt, and they have acknowledged that but to harp on about it hoping that your POV somehow moves SI to action isn’t going to work.

There are some me included who are enjoying how the focus through the middle instructions unlocks space for my team to go attack.

I also assume that there are some very good players in SI who are able to do things with the game, and when someone in the office claims something can’t be done, they turn around and prove otherwise. 

For one thing OIs are certainly playing like a beast in the game, but these are also the easiest to get wrong.  I don’t see people using them as much as me, or at least not how I use them.  

There are one or two things I’ve noticed keeper kicking the ball long for no reason, I changed something it stopped. Then he kicked into his own player and we conceded. I laughed hard cos that was the first I’d seen it. Winger goes down the flank, has his cross blocked, I changed another thing and we started putting in around 20 dangerous crosses into the game but the AI tight marked well. Someone said far post corners are going in on my stream, I left the corners on default, we conceded, I tweaked the corner settings and we didn’t concede at the Far post again.

Dont take this personally

But I am sure there are some at SI and out there in the community who know exactly what they are doing.

Why would we not see or have the same issues in the beta if the problem is a misunderstanding of the instructions? The point is there is a direct comparison being made by users who see a difference pre and post beta. it's not a tactical problem as long as the users have not changed anything since beta. I certainly haven't and it was working before, I even restarted the season just to make sure it wasn't fatigue or player morale or teams working me out or something.

I also think that there's a segment of users who like the high tempo , attacking mentalities and it was never a problem for them. If you never had an issue with FM 20 and you got enjoyment out of it, then the absence of the things that the beta had would not bother you as much.

Users on this forum for years were told there was nothing wrong with center play and that it was all their tactics. Then hey presto, SI patch it for the beta this year so it does work.

Also I was one of the people who complained about it working too well actually, I liked what I saw but wanted the threshold to play that sort of football to be higher. Require better players and not league 1.

9 minutes ago, AllyJoseph said:

Some of the things mentioned here are obviously not bugs. I get being uppity when someone comes in and is rude themselves, but people post genuine feedback, in a feedback thread, and they get petty curt responses. It doesn't really make people want to carry on with their feedback or want to post the "bugs".

It's not the telling people to post PKM's or Saves in the bugs that's the issue, it's the brushing off/dismissal of issues or the "just post it as a bug" which is the problem. If someones gone to the trouble of actually trying to give feedback, the least that could be done is accept that feedback and perhaps even(heaven forbid) open up a discussion about said feedback.

Half the issues that people have could be explained away, the other half are tarred with the first halves brush. It muddies the waters greatly and makes for a very frustrating time. I appreciate your jobs are hard, especially working for free, but some people are genuinely trying to help.

I have explained this already but that's the next step. There's feedback, but if your feedback can be useful to SI in the form of you noticing something AND you have a PKM or a save game (depending on the issue) that is valuable. This is what REALLY helps SI. It's what got me into beta testing. I noticed at the time that the CM/A wasn't making aggressive enough runs that I would expect. OMG BUGZ? No. But something to be improved. AGAIN, whether you choose to define it as a 'bug' is your choice. If something can be improved, it can and really, should be reported. We ALL benefit from this. SI produce a better game; we get a better game.

2 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

I have explained this already but that's the next step. There's feedback, but if your feedback can be useful to SI in the form of you noticing something AND you have a PKM or a save game (depending on the issue) that is valuable.

This. Every time I see play I don't like, I give SI Pkms of it. Because they can look at the actual code and investigate

2 minutes ago, AllyJoseph said:

That's great, but this isn't beta, this is a full games release which they want feedback on. Some of us just want to play the game and don't have the time to delve deep into the code or run multiple scenario's, I just give feedback on the game because I enjoy it. Being rude or telling people to just put their feedback in the bugs section defeats the point of asking for feedback.

We don't want feedback in the bugs forum. We want people to report issues with PKMs or save games. Feedback it for this thread. I have now explained this enough and will leave it at that. 

1 minute ago, PODSYMAN said:

Mine's just happened, so it looks like 21.1.2 is the issue, maybe?

If you have technical issues, it would probably be best to create a ticket through the technical issues section of the bugs forum. :thup:

has anyone noticed that since the release of the full game, the teamtalk that u give to subs while doing a subtitution, rarely affects/changes morale? they always stay with the same status, i understand that has been said here that they changed exactly this in the full release but went from an extreme of always changing in a substitution .. to never, like no middle ground, there is no change at using "have faith" or "expect a performance" .. ever.

Edited by kertiek

15 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

If you have technical issues, it would probably be best to create a ticket through the technical issues section of the bugs forum. :thup:

Thanks.
Don't think it's a technical issue as such, though. It's just slow. Extra graphics maybe.