Football Manager 2021 Official Feedback Thread

On 29/01/2021 at 11:38, kingpoodle said:

Accept that FM will always have bug? 
It's like buying a car and you say, "you gotta accept that the car engine has issue, it's normal." 

I guess it's the way they produce the game just like FIFA and PES. They only focus on the game for 1 year (or less) before moving on to the next project. 

Whats most annoying is long term issues between versions such as player positions moving around randomly in the set piece creator (particularly if you use more than 1 tactic), and early yellow cards etc etc are never fixed. What fun to have to check every few games that the game hasn't or has decided to leave my DCL up at corners for me when I setup my striker to be there......utterly ludicrous that the game cannot handle positions between tactics.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 29/01/2021 at 14:10, XaW said:

And I understand the frustration user can have, even with what objectively could be a minor issue, since for some it can impact their whole experience. What is considered a critical error is very often related to reliability of the software. The outcomes are the 2nd, and for the most part the game delivers. There are reported issues regarding some key stats, but those have been there since the game was released, so if it's that important, why haven't the outcry happened before several months after the release? The answer is that no one noticed until then. So the criticality of that bug cannot be considered major if no one the hundreds of thousands of users reported it before several months had gone by.

Isn't this just the natural consequence of having a black-box piece of software?  It is incredibly unclear to the user how the various inputs create the outputs; that's part of the point, part of the appeal of the game.  But it does mean that it's going to take time for users to notice things, especially if they're regular users trying to have fun rather than paid testers.  The degree of obviousness of a bug is not necessarily correlated to its severity.

6 minutes ago, Sunstrikuuu said:

Isn't this just the natural consequence of having a black-box piece of software?  It is incredibly unclear to the user how the various inputs create the outputs; that's part of the point, part of the appeal of the game.  But it does mean that it's going to take time for users to notice things, especially if they're regular users trying to have fun rather than paid testers.  The degree of obviousness of a bug is not necessarily correlated to its severity.

Oh, sure, but I really don't think the lack of key tackles registered is the end of the world in FM terms.

19 minutes ago, Overmars said:

Tracking stats and ratings properly are baseline features in a predominantly spreadsheet-based game. Excel would never be as popular as it is if it sometimes miscalculated formulas. Baseline features have to be right.

Oh, for sure. I'm not saying this isn't an issue - it's the main reason why I'm still holding off starting my long-term save. But the points I made about ratings last week still stand: they are subjective, so it's very difficult (if not impossible) to get them spot-on.

Anyway, the main point of my post today is that some FMers are holding SI to ridiculously high standards, and that they'll always be disappointed when those standards aren't met.

There will always be bugs in the game - some bigger than others. If we want FM21's bigger bugs to be squashed in this game cycle, it's better to report them through the official channels than just sulk about them. The last thing any of us need is for this feedback thread to degenerate into another sulkathon.

3 hours ago, Os said:

I think the TI 'be More disciplined' covers this.

3 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

That's a straightforward dribble less, perhaps more disciplined. And then PIs to suit the game plan

Believe me, I've tried. I've found Dribble Less does very little to discourage players carrying the ball when passing is the better option. More disciplined helps a little, but not as much as I'd like. In fact my experience with More Disciplined is that it actually discourages a player without the ball moving into space because they become too focussed on maintaining shape.

2 minutes ago, autohoratio said:

Believe me, I've tried. I've found Dribble Less does very little to discourage players carrying the ball when passing is the better option. More disciplined helps a little, but not as much as I'd like. In fact my experience with More Disciplined is that it actually discourages a player without the ball moving into space because they become too focussed on maintaining shape.

I find dribble less works very well, unless they have runs often PPM. Dribble less is my go-to for any postional play setups

1 hour ago, dunk105 said:

Whats most annoying is long term issues between versions such as player positions moving around randomly in the set piece creator (particularly if you use more than 1 tactic),

......utterly ludicrous that the game cannot handle positions between tactics.

I dont know if this has been raised in the bug forum yet, but it annoys me as hell too!
I recently learned you can save your set-piece set up and then just load them again during matches whenever you change tactics or move a position on that same tactic.

54 minutes ago, CFuller said:

Oh, for sure. I'm not saying this isn't an issue - it's the main reason why I'm still holding off starting my long-term save. But the points I made about ratings last week still stand: they are subjective, so it's very difficult (if not impossible) to get them spot-on.

Anyway, the main point of my post today is that some FMers are holding SI to ridiculously high standards, and that they'll always be disappointed when those standards aren't met.

There will always be bugs in the game - some bigger than others. If we want FM21's bigger bugs to be squashed in this game cycle, it's better to report them through the official channels than just sulk about them. The last thing any of us need is for this feedback thread to degenerate into another sulkathon.

Are you considering buying FM22, and how long do you intend to play your long-term save? 

38 minutes ago, Sunstrikuuu said:

Are you considering buying FM22, and how long do you intend to play your long-term save? 

It's been barely two months since FM21's official release, so I've not given much thought to FM22. That said, I usually skip even-numbered FMs - FM20 was an exception, but even then, I didn't buy it until August - so this long-term save could take me well into next year.

In all honesty, I'm not that bothered about waiting a bit longer to start my career. I'd rather SI take their time over a major patch than rush it out under pressure.

Edited by CFuller

2 hours ago, XaW said:

Oh, sure, but I really don't think the lack of key tackles registered is the end of the world in FM terms.

Have a read of the key tackles thread. Its not only key tackles, it's a whole host of stats that have big issues with them

Bit of feedback. I have managed to alter it back to how it has been forever in the FM series, but thought I’d mention that not having a scout or coach link in the coach report panel this version seems like a weird omission. Always useful when getting a report to double check the source and having the coach/scout name as a link is really useful. Saves lots of clicks :) 

13 minutes ago, Tyburn said:

Bit of feedback. I have managed to alter it back to how it has been forever in the FM series, but thought I’d mention that not having a scout or coach link in the coach report panel this version seems like a weird omission. Always useful when getting a report to double check the source and having the coach/scout name as a link is really useful. Saves lots of clicks :) 

How did you do this?

3 horas atrás, Gee_Simpson disse:

I'm wondering to myself why is the coach report on a player only compiled by the analyst now? On FM20 you could switch between each coach and you could see their own individual rating of the player?

You can change here and choose the best coach to do the analysis

image.png.6db08573c98bd11babe4d4fad93d9700.png

I play in Germany and my newgens asking 19k euro / year in 3Liga :eek:

I thought this is bug of update, but checked default DB save and there are the same. Some newgens in age 17 have salary of 500k euro per year. Contract of young (perspective) players.

Is it a feature? I'm used to all newgens have the same lowpriced contracts

20 hours ago, Tyburn said:

In your main documents/si/fm21 folder create a folder called textures. Put an image in there that you want for the 2d view background. Can’t remember what to call it at present. Not on pc. Perhaps someone else can remember, or I’ll post when next on pc.

Edit: Found it: match_background

@Marko1989

Man thanks a lot! I've managed to add stadium stands to 2D ME in 2021 :D

It is far from perfect, when I have time I will add supporters to the stands, the problem is that also each stadium will have the same stands but it is something for now.

Screenshot_2.thumb.jpg.95c4e62ef99c09e2a396f3b548513770.jpg

I'm absolutely loving the new game. I still think I prefered the old match UI, this one seems a bit less structured but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

The games are so much more enjoyable now, I watch all my games on comprehensive highlights, and long gone are the days of 70-80% of my highlights being overlaps or runs down the flank by a fullback who just waits to be closed down before having his cross blocked. I've seen some beautiful play through the center, one two's, dummy runs, more in 1 season with FM21 than all my FM20 saves combined.

As long as the rules for each competition are correct, and the game doesnt bug where a new season doesnt start or some other game breaking stupid glitches doesnt happen I'm not too worried about not seeing every stat being measured the way I would prefer it to be measured. As I said I watch all games on comprehensive so I see what I need to know about my team and players.

If this means you have to loan out your youngsters to clubs playing in leagues only simulated with the quick match engine, then so be it. There's always been ways to work around the little things in FM, all the way back to the days where you had to physically turn off your computer to avoid being forced to save a bitter loss as a kid back in the mid-90s.

18 hours ago, zindrinho said:

I'm absolutely loving the new game. I still think I prefered the old match UI, this one seems a bit less structured but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

The games are so much more enjoyable now, I watch all my games on comprehensive highlights, and long gone are the days of 70-80% of my highlights being overlaps or runs down the flank by a fullback who just waits to be closed down before having his cross blocked. I've seen some beautiful play through the center, one two's, dummy runs, more in 1 season with FM21 than all my FM20 saves combined.

As long as the rules for each competition are correct, and the game doesnt bug where a new season doesnt start or some other game breaking stupid glitches doesnt happen I'm not too worried about not seeing every stat being measured the way I would prefer it to be measured. As I said I watch all games on comprehensive so I see what I need to know about my team and players.

If this means you have to loan out your youngsters to clubs playing in leagues only simulated with the quick match engine, then so be it. There's always been ways to work around the little things in FM, all the way back to the days where you had to physically turn off your computer to avoid being forced to save a bitter loss as a kid back in the mid-90s.

Wait that you get few more years on it, when other teams wont be making any new youth intakes, so a lot of teams+national ones are gonna be grey players. U18 and u23 wont have any players (okay, they might have 1 or 2), but thats it. 

I agree otherwise that the game is very enjoyable in other aspects, but that such a fundamental part of the game is still not fixed is unacceptable.

I don't think people realize how bad the incorrect player stats bug is e.g incorrect key tackles stats

This is making match ratings incorrect or too harshly low.

This means that we can not fully understand how good or bad a player is doing relative to other players  therefore we cannot make good managerial decisions.

Player Stats and match ratings are fundamental to football manager and both are currently bugged.

Please people go and post examples to the bug forums so we can help the devs

Edited by kingking

1 hour ago, kingking said:

This means that we can not fully understand how good or bad a player is doing relative to other players  therefore we cannot make good managerial decisions.

Please people go and post examples to the bug forums so we can help the devs

My point was, and still is, that you CAN fully understand how good or bad a player is doing, you simply watch the games. I've read that thread and the answer isn't that the game isn't registrating key tackles f.ex, its just that it defines a key tackle as a tackle that stops a clear cut chance. I agree there should be stats about "normal" key tackles as well, the ones stopping smaller chances (<0,3xG) is a stat I wanna see. But I dont agree that it ruins the game, the workaround in this case is watching your matches, comprehensive highlights works perfectly for me.

33 minutes ago, zindrinho said:

My point was, and still is, that you CAN fully understand how good or bad a player is doing, you simply watch the games. I've read that thread and the answer isn't that the game isn't registrating key tackles f.ex, its just that it defines a key tackle as a tackle that stops a clear cut chance. I agree there should be stats about "normal" key tackles as well, the ones stopping smaller chances (<0,3xG) is a stat I wanna see. But I dont agree that it ruins the game, the workaround in this case is watching your matches, comprehensive highlights works perfectly for me.

I know we go around the houses on this here, but the point I am sure we can all agree with is that we play the game differently. If comprehensive and the rest of it gets you 9/10ths and your happy with it, then that's great and you are good to go, but it doesn't mean you are doing it right and others wrong :-)

Lots of people want to dive into all those metrics to confirm what's going on in matches - whether it be individual player data or passing maps and all the analytics that are STILL broken - and for a myriad of FM tasks from matches to players transfers, contracts, morale, etc...

• For me I watch comprehensive and it isn't enough to build and tweak tactics to the degree I want to, without having fully functioning match data.
  • For me that lack of analytics data also makes it harder to setup against your next opponent, with incomplete and faulty data, which can lead to worse results and less fun obviously.
  • For me I don't believe someone can 'fully understand' how players are doing solely from highlights - even comprehensive ones - without a different definition of the word "fully" than me. But that's fine I'm not going to tell you, it's a bad workaround just not fully sufficient from my POV.

Personally I am parking my long term save after two seasons, as the mighty Seagulls finished 3rd in 21/22 and could challenge for trophies in 22/23, but we'll need all the help the game should provide us to so. Keep enjoying your Twente save, they have a bunch of really interesting looking kids there!

Edited by CaptCanuck

31 minutes ago, zindrinho said:

The introduction of xG and the changing of stats definitions has clearly impacted this years FM. I agree that watching a game on comprehensive highlights, as I do, helps you understand how good or bad a player is doing. The problem is that the game stats and ratings from the games your team plays in are totally out of line with the stats/ratings of players outside of the league that you are playing in. This renders using stats/ratings useless for scouting purposes. Unfortunately, lots of the "basics" seem to have suffered in this years FM with regard to stats and the relative consistency of them. After 22 games in the first season of my currently paused long term save Salah tops the Premier League (Full Match Engine) for crosses attempted with 350.....nearly 16 per game...The 20th highest player in Premier league has attempted 172 crosses. In Leagues with the Quick Match Engine the number of Crosses Attempted is far lower. In Spain 215 for highest and 67 for 20th highest, In Italy 174 highest and 77 for 20th highest, in Sky Bet Championship 124 hot highest and 85 for 20th highest. Obviously tactics will differ but this is yet another example of bigger stats discrepancies in FM21 versus previous versions.

I use custom views of stats to look at my players performance and like to look at the "/90", per 90 minute, stats when comparing players. Unfortunately in FM21 the "/90" calculation is broken with "-" being displayed.....

My annual long term save is currently on hold and i am patiently waiting for extensive successful fixes to the numerous issues raised, and under review, in the bugs forum, with the transfer update database as I doubt that there will be any more hotfixes before this....Fingers crossed for lots of successful fixes...I am really hoping that this is not the first FM in over 20 years where I do not manage to complete a full season......

Edited by mhaffy

5 minutes ago, CaptCanuck said:

I know we go around the houses on this here, but the point I am sure we can all agree with is that we play the game differently. If comprehensive and the rest of it gets you 9/10ths and your happy with it, then that's great and you are good to go, but it doesn't mean you are doing it right and others wrong :-)

I certainly didn't mean to imply that I am playing the game the correct way and others aren't, I was trying to give people who felt the game was broken to the point of unplayable a possibility/workaround to enjoy FM even with broken/incomplete stats and match analysis.

Just now, zindrinho said:

I certainly didn't mean to imply that I am playing the game the correct way and others aren't, I was trying to give people who felt the game was broken to the point of unplayable a possibility/workaround to enjoy FM even with broken/incomplete stats and match analysis.

Sure no prob :-) We're all mostly in the same space in regards to how FM21 is at the moment anyways.

Yes I am still enjoying the game mostly, despite the almost constant not winning despite having a constant higher xG than my opponents, but doubtless that's my tactics (or my hopeless players).  Still a few issues though:

1. New staff member joins and you get the option to ask him to 'recommend a signing'.  I have never seen a single signing recommended.

2. I have my DoF set up to 'initiate player signings for the first team'.  I did this in previous versions and sometimes he pulls a scorcher out, otherwise I make sure I have the final say so I can deny him the chance to sign the rubbish he usually wants.  This time there have been no attempts to sign anyone in 4 seasons.

3. Set pieces; for some reason my CBs were added to be my first choice corner takers?  Not by me they weren't.  Had to remove them three times before they finally (for the time being) stopped taking all my corners.

4. Switching between tactics messes up set piece routines, even if they have been saved to that particular tactic.

5. Stupid player expectations; I've previously moaned about a player wanting to leave as I didn't play him in his preferred position for 18 days after he signed his new contract, despite the fact we played no games in this time.

6. Similarly I promised a player I would give him more game time, played him the next three games then left him as sub as he was tired and he kicked off.

7. Transfers / wages.  Was quoted £5.5k to sign a 30 year old midfielder as a squad player, he wouldn't accept £4k so I left it.  2 weeks later he signs for a (admittedly bigger) team in the same division for £190 per week as a fringe player. 

8. Players getting upset that I didn't sell them despite me offering them out to teams for free.

9. Still some odd animations; penalties from what look like great tackles, defenders hoofing the ball behind for a corner or off for a throw in under no pressure.

10. ATTACKING THROW INS BY THE CORNER FLAG WITH THE BALL GOING STRAIGHT BACK TO THE THROWER WHO IS THEN OFFSIDE.   ARGGGHHHH!!!!!

11. A lot of corners.

12. My Ass Man suggesting a sub be made after I've already made all three changes.

13. My Ass Man suggesting a tactical change (substitute x for y) - I press the 'Do it' button and then it suggests doing it again 2 minutes later as if nothing has happened.  Works second time then says I can't make another sub when I've only made two?

I've only played lower league (VNL to League 1 in England) so haven't come across anything that affects the big teams yet. 

Edited by ExeChris

In Spanish leagues, in real life: People over 23 years can not play in B-teams.

In game for example Yañes (goolkeeper of getafe plays 30 matches and lot of players too) and in history stats for example zapater or eguaras with 30 years too-...

i hope you fix that!

People over 23 cannot play with B-teams

B teams are Sub-23 

Is difficult for People who plays in low divisions in game, a match against real madrid castilla or b- teams with people from A-team

On 02/02/2021 at 00:27, jmdea22 said:

In Spanish leagues, in real life: People over 23 years can not play in B-teams.

In game for example Yañes (goolkeeper of getafe plays 30 matches and lot of players too) and in history stats for example zapater or eguaras with 30 years too-...

i hope you fix that!

People over 23 cannot play with B-teams

B teams are Sub-23 

Is difficult for People who plays in low divisions in game, a match against real madrid castilla or b- teams with people from A-team

Post that in here:

hace 34 minutos, XaW dijo:

Post that in here:

It’s been posted without answer for months in the Spain bug forum since the game was released and no official word or fix that is really frustrating. I fixed it myself with the pregame editor, setting B teams to not to be able to use over 23 players in game, and it works for official games, over 23 still play in friendlies. It should be easy for SI to do it as well.

Edited by Icy

8 minutes ago, Icy said:

It’s been posted without answer for months in the Spain bug forum since the game was released and no official word or fix that is really frustrating. I fixed it myself with the pregame editor, setting B teams to not to be able to use over 23 players in game, and it works for official games, over 23 still play in friendlies. It should be easy for SI to do it as well.

I had a look in there and I can see something from November regarding players registered for the A team playing for B team, but that is not the issue written about here. The issue here was players over 23 playing for the B team, and I don't see that reported. So unless I'm mistaken or misunderstanding, I can't see it reported?

• If a player is considered Over23, he can be registered for B team, but won't be allowed to move up to A or down to C/u19, he has to stay all season at his registered team.  Once registration opens again in january, club can choose to promote and register him for first team, and then will be a first team player for all circumstances.

That's from the Spanish HR that says a player over 23 can play for the B team, but cannot be registered for the other teams. So for me, that means over 23s are allowed as long as they don't play for the other teams at the club.

How does reputation increase?

I promoted for 3Liga from Regionalliga. Media prediction is 20 for both seasons, I was 7 and 5, second season played playoff for 2Bundesliga.
But club rep still the worst in 3Liga. 

Back 3 systems need a massive overhaul for FM22. No one in real life plays like a back 3 plays in football manager. Litetally no one.

3 center backs just lined up across the center line when attacking is not how it works. The outside CBs play like hybrid CB/FB in attack and sometimes like outright FBs. That's the point of 3 at the back is to create overloads not for 3 defenders to stay back and mark 1 striker.

To see how modern 3 at the back systems play have a look at Chelsea's two games under Tuchel. The RCB scored from open play which is something that can simply never happen in football manager.

Needs to be totally overhauled.

8 hours ago, XaW said:

I had a look in there and I can see something from November regarding players registered for the A team playing for B team, but that is not the issue written about here. The issue here was players over 23 playing for the B team, and I don't see that reported. So unless I'm mistaken or misunderstanding, I can't see it reported?

That's from the Spanish HR that says a player over 23 can play for the B team, but cannot be registered for the other teams. So for me, that means over 23s are allowed as long as they don't play for the other teams at the club.

This is correct. Players over 23 are allowed to be registered for B teams in Spain and always have.

10 minutes ago, Domoboy23 said:

This is correct. Players over 23 are allowed to be registered for B teams in Spain and always have.

That's what I thought. So @Icy, @jmdea22; are you sure this is wrong? If so, please add it in the link I sent with documentation proving it.

There really should be an option for the full version to use the Touch version of Press Conferences: only one question at a time. And of all the ideas since Press Conferences have been introduced, the automated question that appears every damn time one of my players scores for his country is far and away the worst

6 hours ago, XaW said:

That's what I thought. So @Icy, @jmdea22; are you sure this is wrong? If so, please add it in the link I sent with documentation proving it.

Ok, for example: In real life Messi dont play a friendly game with B team. In game YES. For example Yáñez is over 23 and play 15 games with Getafe and 15 with B team (is impossible)

in game: Luka jovic play official matches and friendly matches with b team and with a team, militao too..:lot of players...

people can say they want. THIS IS NOT REALISTIC..and is very sad play In spanish leagues in the game cause you see the history players and you see messi with b team or militao and jovic with b team...

I Think SI games must fix This horrible bug.

in spanish web fmsite people is crazy about This topic. Cause is impossible to play in spain if you want to play a real game.

thanks

11 hours ago, Novem9 said:

How does reputation increase?

I promoted for 3Liga from Regionalliga. Media prediction is 20 for both seasons, I was 7 and 5, second season played playoff for 2Bundesliga.
But club rep still the worst in 3Liga. 

From memory, reputation will rise with success but not immediately as I think it is calculated on a rolling 5 year calculation, so the years before your success are still being counted.  Once they are discounted, reputation will start to rise noticeably

6 hours ago, jmdea22 said:

Ok, for example: In real life Messi dont play a friendly game with B team. In game YES. For example Yáñez is over 23 and play 15 games with Getafe and 15 with B team (is impossible)

in game: Luka jovic play official matches and friendly matches with b team and with a team, militao too..:lot of players...

people can say they want. THIS IS NOT REALISTIC..and is very sad play In spanish leagues in the game cause you see the history players and you see messi with b team or militao and jovic with b team...

I Think SI games must fix This horrible bug.

in spanish web fmsite people is crazy about This topic. Cause is impossible to play in spain if you want to play a real game.

thanks

Then please post it in the thread I mentioned and with proof that something is wrong.

9 minutes ago, jmdea22 said:

The link that u sent us say:

Sorry, we can't show this content because you do not have permission to see it.

I have corrected it. Here's another link to it:

14 minutes ago, jmdea22 said:

The link that u sent us say:

Sorry, we can't show this content because you do not have permission to see it.

Ah, sorry, my fault. Use the one from Hunt3r.