EURO 2020(1?) football forum average draft

GunmaN1905

Spoiler

We obviously need a fantasy draft game for EURO and I already said I want do the next draft.

All the previous drafts have been great, but every time we end up with super-stacked teams that have no balance.

So I'd like to do an "average" squad draft that will take some more careful thinking about your picks.

Rules would be:

Max 1 player per nation, players that have at least one EURO appearance only.

Max 2 players who won the whole thing.

Max 3 more players who played in the semi-final or final, but never won it. (2 winners and 3 more semi-finalists, just to be clear)

During knockouts, you can take 2 players from the opponent you win against, but your squad still has to follow these rules.

Draft rules would be as per usual, random draft order, snake draft an 8am-10pm picking window.

I think 32 players is too ambitious of an ask, but maybe we could pull off 24 and have the group stage EURO format?

If not, the usual 16.

Draft would start next week.

You can check yourself in if you're interested.

Edit:
Invites will be open until Sunday evening, as I said I'd like to do a draft with more players, but if we can't get there, first 16 people who check in can take part.

EDIT: Official rules

Draft rules:

Max 1 player per nation

Max 2 players who won the EURO

Max 3 more players who appeared in semi-finals or final

For tournaments before 1980, you can select any player from nations that appeared in quarter-finals since there are no official squad lists. Players that played during those years, obviously.

For 1980 and after, you can select players from 23 man squads for those tournaments. As for winners and semi-finalists, anyone in 23man squad counts as one, regardless if he made an appearance in those games.

If you pick a player who played for more than one country, you use your slot for both of them, also applies to three countries mentioned below.

Rules for countries that split up at some point, Czechoslovakia, USSR and Yugoslavia:

Spoiler

If you pick a player who played for the union pre-split, you fill up the slot for the old country and his primary nationality country.

Blokhin for example means you used up your USSR and Ukraine slots. But you can still pick someone from post-split Russia, like Arshavin.

Note that Yugoslavia in 2000 was actually Serbia and Montenegro, so they don't count as old Yugoslavia, but Serbia.

Meaning you can pick a Croatian, Bosnian etc who played for pre-split Yugoslavia and a Serbian from EURO 2000.

Snake draft. 1st through 29th pick, then back around from 29th to 1st.
Because we have more teams than usual, from second round onwards, everyone picks two players per round.
First round is still only one player because otherwise it would be too big of an advantage for players with good starting spots.

Active hours picking window is from 8am to 10pm British time. During that window, you have 4h to pick after you get mentioned, otherwise you're penalized.
If you miss your 4h window during active hours the following player picks for you. You're at their mercy. If you're good friends with them, maybe you get another top class player for your team. If not, then enjoy an iconic member of 2004 Latvia team or maybe a scrub who lucked his way onto top country's roster, meaning you lost a slot for that country.

Same penalty applies if you mess up and break the team selection rules. The next contestant picks your player. But beware, if that player messes up picking for you, he also get penalized. This is a no nonsense draft.
Rules have to be followed!

Players who're not in European time zones can message me with up to 5 players for their next pick if they think that it will be their turn during active hours when they're not around.

When we get to knockout phase, winner can take 2 players from losing team. All within team selection rules, obviously.

Edited by GunmaN1905

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Yuko said:

@GunmaN1905 how are we treating players from Yugoslavia, USSR and Czechoslovakia? Do we count their current nation or are they considered separate entities?

Good question.

I'd say treat their primary nationalities.

As in they were Serbs, Croatians, Russians, Ukrainians etc before the split, since those countries were unions.

But only one per country from old countries.

So for example you can pick a Serbian who played for Yugoslavia, then that's all the Serbians you can pick.
Btw, Yugoslavia from 2000 is Serbia-Montenegro, counted as Serbia.
But you can't pick another Croatian who played for Yugoslavia. Or Slovenian, Bosnian etc. You can pick post-split Croatian.

If that makes sense.

Same goes for Russia/Ukraine.

So if you pick Blokhin for example, that's Ukraine gone from the board. And Soviet union.
But you can pick another post-split Russian.

Player's pre-split country and primary nationality countries are gone when you pick a player.

1 hour ago, Gizzy said:

First @Harryseaess steals my gig and now @GunmaN1905 :mad: This is a disgrace :mad: 

And he didn't even offer me a space! :mad: 

;)

As if you couldn't check in yourself. :brock:

Still space left.

Edited by GunmaN1905

13 hours ago, GunmaN1905 said:

So for example you can pick a Serbian who played for Yugoslavia, then that's all the Serbians you can pick.
Btw, Yugoslavia from 2000 is Serbia-Montenegro, counted as Serbia.
But you can't pick another Croatian who played for Yugoslavia. Or Slovenian, Bosnian etc. You can pick post-split Croatian.

Player's pre-split country and primary nationality countries are gone when you pick a player.

Trying to get my head around this because it seems a bit convoluted. Country they were born in or country they played for? I presume country they played for so I'll give an example to make it more clear:

B.Z., part of the Yugoslavia squad in 1960. He was born in Zagreb, Croatia but (according to wikipedia) only has been capped by Yugoslavia. If I pick him:

• Only Yugoslavia are gone, correct?
  • I can pick another player who has only been capped by Croatia post-split and was never capped by Yugoslavia?
  • But I cannot pick another player who has been capped by post split Slovenia/Bosnia/Serbia/etc. but also by pre-split Yugoslavia?
  • I can however pick another player who has only been capped by post split Slovenia/Bosnia/Serbia/etc. but never by pre-split Yugoslavia?

Same for East/West Germany and Germany. U.K., capped 49 times for East Germany and 51 times by Germany, if I pick him:

• Both East Germany and Germany are gone?
  • But I can still pick a player who only played for West Germany?

Edited by Sano

17 minutes ago, Sano said:

Trying to get my head around this because it seems a bit convoluted. Country they were born in or country they played for? I presume country they played for so I'll give an example to make it more clear:

B.Z., part of the Yugoslavia squad in 1960. He was born in Zagreb, Croatia but (according to wikipedia) only has been capped by Yugoslavia. If I pick him:

• Only Yugoslavia are gone, correct?
  • I can pick another player who has only been capped by Croatia post-split and was never capped by Yugoslavia?
  • But I cannot pick another player who has been capped by post split Slovenia/Bosnia/Serbia/etc. but also by pre-split Yugoslavia?
  • I can however pick another player who has only been capped by post split Slovenia/Bosnia/Serbia/etc. but never by pre-split Yugoslavia?

No, Yugoslavia and Croatia are gone, but you can pick a post-split Serbian, Slovenian or Albanian. (Bosnia didn't play in any Euro) 

Edited by Marius_R

25 minutes ago, Sano said:

Same for East/West Germany and Germany. U.K., capped 49 times for East Germany and 51 times by Germany, if I pick him:

• Both East Germany and Germany are gone?
  • But I can still pick a player who only played for West Germany?

Marius replied on Yugoslavia. 

But basically if you pick a Yugoslav from the early editions of Croatian descent, you:

- Cannot pick any other player from a Yugoslavia team (pre 1992)

- Cannot pick any other Croatian (1992-)

- Can pick anyone else (Serb, Slovene etc), as long as they did not feature in a Yugoslavia team in the 80s. 

I trust that the same process exists with the Germany issue but it's far simpler. They all are German nationals now, so whether he played for East or West becomes irrelevant. He'd be eligible for Germany today which means there goes your German pick. 

They never played in a Euro so it's irrelevant, but leaving it here in case it may apply to anything else. Cannot think of such an example though. 

Thanks both.

So maybe we should also define what happend when someone messes up? For example cancelling the faulty pick and adding it to the back of the queue when all other picks have been made?

1 hour ago, Sano said:

Thanks both.

So maybe we should also define what happend when someone messes up? For example cancelling the faulty pick and adding it to the back of the queue when all other picks have been made?

If you want to pick someon who played for pre-war Yugoslavia and you're unsure of his nationality (because place of birth doesn't have to determine it), you can consult me. :D

Since I want to be objective and I don't want people to think I'm favoring someone, bottling the rules will also be interesting.

If someone messes their pick up, that pick is deleted and made ineligible for everyone. Then the next player who's supposed to draft picks a player for whoever bottled it.

So you're at their mercy and can't blame me for picking you a player from Latvia. :brock:

Edited by GunmaN1905

Just now, GunmaN1905 said:

Are you in or not?

I forgot about you, sorry if I ruined your tradition.  :onmehead:

Not for me mate.

Don't worry about it. I had planned to run one but I'll just find something else to fill the void in my life :D 

Alright, that's 16 players:

Marius_R
MaxeyN17
adhikapp
Darius1998
managerdude_66
Haguey
Yuko
Harryseaess
Sano
sjg11
Butts
Barry Cartman
PaulHartman71
Citizen Kane
Weezer
SRL88

These 16 are guaranteed to play.

If we get 24, I'm thinking of doing a groupstage. :D

Custom polls where people vote on 1 through 4 group placements, not just knockout matchups right away.

If not, then sorry, others were too late.

Edited by GunmaN1905

12 minutes ago, XuluBak said:

Don't know how you all handle the draft process (timer?), but as long as my time difference isn't a problem, I'll partake.

In these things there's usually a window, maybe 8 hours but during the night (UK) the timer isn't ticking. 

But of course, up to Gunman to decide, just that's how it usually works.