The Jack Grealish (and occasionally England) Thread: It's coming home attempt 5782570

Pukey

51 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

1 Vs 1 he's the best, I agree. It's such a small part of being a modern right back that it isn't as impressive as you both suggest though. 

I couldn't care less about whether he has more assists than Cancelo, if you think he's better going forward than Cancelo then you've lost the plot.

Stop putting words in my mouth. I'm bringing up the stats to show that lumping him into 'defensive full back' is a disservice to AWB. That's all.

I do agree that being the best 1v1 defender is a small part of being a modern full back, but it isn't the only thing he can do. And I just showed you that based on simple stats alone.

Still, he's not as good on the eye test against the other English RBs that's why the fact that Trent might not make it, means AWB has no chance at all.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Pukey said:

Genuinely confused by this, you'd only take 2 CMs? 

Well then you have more attacking CMs like Mount, Foden etc, just feels like with Henderson's injury we're now picking too many CMs just because they've been in the squad. 

Mount and Foden would ideally play as the most advanced CM of the three though surely? That's why you need the other four.

I'll honestly say I've not seen enough of Mount to judge whether he could play deeper to include both him and Foden in a central midfield, but I know it's not his usual position.

Like Baptista said, you have Rice and Phillips as the defensive ones, Bellingham and Henderson as the more box to box, then Foden and Mount as the more attacking options, with them two being able to play wide in an absolute pinch, and Grealish able to play in the middle as well if injuries get bad. Mind you, I think Foden will possibly be playing wide anyway. Dropping any would leave the squad much weaker depth-wise.

59 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

I don't mean personally, I mean as a player he doesn't like him and his abilities as much as the other guys he's competing with. As I put in another post, he's possibly 3rd choice RB in the near future. 

The path won't get much easier, with Lamptey and Justin returning from injuries, and presumably things returning to normal with 23 roster spots. 

Do you know what I don't like about Trent? The fact that everyone calls him Trent. As if we're all on bezzie mate first name terms. I get that Alexander-Arnold is a long name but so is Calvert-Lewin, yet I don't hear every man and his dog calling him Dom.

Alexander-Arnold is 6 syllables and 15 letters long. Calvert-Lewin is also long but he's referred a lot to DCL. Basically every English player with a double-barrelled name will get the shortened named treatment. I guess Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain goes by Ox and not AOC because that abbreviation is already taken.

8 minutes ago, Pukey said:

Calvert-Lewin regularly gets shortened to DCL online tbf

That's fine, as is TAA. Fans and more so commentators/pundits calling him Trent all the time though is complete cringe and I can't think of any other player who gets the first name treatment to that degree. It's all Carragher's fault.

Can't speak for Foden (though I assume the same would apply to him) but you wouldn't really want Mount in a 2 man midfield as he'd be wasted if he was having to look over his shoulder all the time, think that Rice, Phillips, Henderson and Bellingham is a nice balance, then presumably Ward-Prowse if one of those 4 doesn't make it.

On AWB, he's good but I like people bringing Neymar up as if he doesn't pocket himself half the time anyway :D 

3 minutes ago, brett.spurs said:

That's fine, as is TAA. Fans and more so commentators/pundits calling him Trent all the time though is complete cringe and I can't think of any other player who gets the first name treatment to that degree. It's all Carragher's fault.

Weird scousers calling their players by pet names and it catching on innit. Trent, Hendo, Stevie G, Carra, etc

1 hour ago, brett.spurs said:

Bruno 

1 hour ago, brett.spurs said:

Do you know what I don't like about Trent? The fact that everyone calls him Trent. As if we're all on bezzie mate first name terms. I get that Alexander-Arnold is a long name but so is Calvert-Lewin, yet I don't hear every man and his dog calling him Dom.

Dominic will be in the squad. 

7 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Bruno 

Aye, another one, I use 'Bruno' 90% of the time for some reason, always have, don't know why like. :D 

Some players, and managers, just get the first name treatment. Villa fans call Grealish Jack I've noticed, lots of Leeds fans call Phillips Kalvin, dunno why but I don't think we need to think all that deeply about it :D 

I don't understand how this is even a thing to be bothered by...

It's fairly common for Brazilians or Portuguese players to go solely by their first name or a portion of it. Some Spanish players do this as well. And randomly it seems to be a thing for Dutch players...

On Liverpool there are no less than six players (excluding TAA) that go by their first name, a portion of their first name, or a mononym. And only two of them are Brazilian!

This isn't uncommon for top athletes in American sports regardless of origin. Lebron, Kobe, Serena, etc. 

Oh, and of course it's a thing in pop culture.

Edited by XuluBak

Just now, XuluBak said:

This isn't uncommon for top athletes in American sports regardless of origin. Lebron, Kobe, Serena, etc. 

As they say in the NBA, only special players get called by their name.

But calling footballers by nicknames like "Bobby", especially if you're not a commentator from club's TV, is cringe, as kids would say today. :D

6 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

As they say in the NBA, only special players get called by their name.

But calling footballers by nicknames like "Bobby", especially if you're not a commentator from club's TV, is cringe, as kids would say today. :D

Calling Roberto Firmino "Bobby" is weird. Calling Chicharito anything else would be weird and maybe even disrespectful. IDK. 

58 minutes ago, Pukey said:

Some players, and managers, just get the first name treatment. Villa fans call Grealish Jack I've noticed, lots of Leeds fans call Phillips Kalvin, dunno why but I don't think we need to think all that deeply about it :D 

I don't care about fans doing it for their own players, I probably do it too but I don't know of any other player where supposedly impartial commentators refer to them by their first name. Rival fans saying Trent is just weird to me too, do Liverpool or any other fans call Wan-Bissaka 'Aaron' because it's easier? I don't think so.

10 hours ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

Is it? Just name the squad, seems odd to name an extended one with only a week until the deadline.

Two massive cup finals still to play, potential an injury or two. May as well keep a few extra people in the frame instead of putting them on a “standby list” where they get called up after everyone else knowing they were second choice. 

Plus this way there is a chance of somebody going the full Paul Gascogne and smashing up a hotel room when they are dropped at the last minute.

Edited by Rob1981

He's got at least nine squad definites playing in European finals, plus another two who might get in (James + Greenwood). Plus maybe any others I've missed. 

If he names a 26 and some get injured,  he's then got to go cap in hand to his standby list (are they a thing??). And if standby lists aren't a thing then it's even more awkward. I haven't seen any mentioned for the 26-man squads that have been announced so far.

3 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

It ultimately ends up the same either way, but why not just wait until next week to announce the squad then? 

Because the ones that aren’t in the European game need to meet up and start training. We have a friendly three days after the Champions League final.

1 hour ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

Is it? Just name the squad, seems odd to name an extended one with only a week until the deadline.

Moaning TAA isn't in the 26, then moaning if he announces a bigger squad giving a chance in the friendlies :D

2 hours ago, Rob1981 said:

Two massive cup finals still to play, potential an injury or two. May as well keep a few extra people in the frame instead of putting them on a “standby list” where they get called up after everyone else knowing they were second choice. 

Not counting the fact that his ever present centre back (Maguire) is injured

Kicking the can down the road by Gareth. We all know TAA isn't in the squad, so he's just delaying that frenzy till 1st June :D 

Not having 'the chance' of injuries as a reason he's doing it, otherwise he should end up taking 26 players in case there's injuries in the friendlies/first game.

52 minutes ago, YouReds said:

The England squad as picked by BBC Sport readers

image.png.923fdab143981e389e448ea43e0eb8f8.png

Which players are in consideration in addition to these listed? All I can think of off the top of my head is the likes of Alli and Maddison, who should be nowhere near it. JWP also, who is a decent player. Dier also who may well go. Watkins, anyone else? Aware I've just listed a load myself :D

Edited by Baptista_8

13 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

Which players are in consideration in addition to these listed? All I can think of off the top of my head is the likes of Alli and Maddison, who should be nowhere near it. JWP also, who is a decent player. Dier also who may well go. Watkins, anyone else? Aware I've just listed a load myself :D

Bamford should 100% be getting a call up in an extended squad. Maybe, maybe Jack Harrison though he has a load of competition so wouldn't be going to the euros 

Probably Dier will go. You need a couple like that in a tournament squad. Nothing spectacular but he can come in mid-game and do a job in a couple of positions depending on how things are going.

16 hours ago, Robokid87 said:

Don't have any problem with fans doing it but hearing Steve McManaman calling Firmino 'Bobby' makes my skin crawl. Tbf though I could say that about most things that he says.

as much as I can't stand "Macca", he's not the only one who calls Firmino that? :D

most commentators generally do in a Liverpool game, maybe not straight out "Bobby" but they'll come out with Bobby Firmino quite a bit when talking about him

Edited by TM

What are they doing at 1pm then? Just dribbling it out on Twitter? Seem to remember a load of pomp and ceremony at a Vauxhall factory one year, Vauxhall were sponsors at the time and they had Capello doing his piece to camera with a couple of Astras in the background.

1 hour ago, TM said:

as much as I can't stand "Macca", he's not the only one who calls Firmino that? :D

most commentators generally do in a Liverpool game, maybe not straight out "Bobby" but they'll come out with Bobby Firmino quite a bit when talking about him

The worst is when Danny Murphy calls him Bobby Firminhio.