Club compensation for player whose contract is expired (Month to month)

Hi guys

I am trying to sign a player after his contract has expired and he is still at the club on a month to month contract. Surely since his actual contract term has expired with the club and he is effectively free to leave at any time, I should not be required to compensate the club if I try to sign him?

c2.jpg

z1.jpg

No, the Club have not release him yet... If the club try to release him, then you are FREE TO SIGN ! because it is a month-to-month contract IT MEAN THAT THEY STILL HAVE CONTRACT 

You should set to the signing "at the end of current contract" perhap? 

But a player on a month to month contract has the choice to walk away at any time they want because their is no longer a defined term that they are contracted to. Also what's with the capital letters? Logically, this situation will never exist in real life because the player will just walk out of the club and join the new club without the requirement of compensation.

Edited by PB Smoothie

Could be his age, pretty sure compensation is required if players are under 24, even if the player is out of contract. It might also be a country specific rule if you're in the same country as his current club.

Edited by afced7

You aren't managing in Czechia are you? I did it for a while earlier and found that players out of contract still have to be bought out (unless they were released by the club). It could be that they don't follow the Bosman verdict?

25 minutes ago, XaW said:

You aren't managing in Czechia are you? I did it for a while earlier and found that players out of contract still have to be bought out (unless they were released by the club). It could be that they don't follow the Bosman verdict?

It'll be because, whilst the Bosman ruling has to be followed between EU member states, it doesn't have to be applied within a state - same with England having their limit be 1 month and not 6.

21 minutes ago, PB Smoothie said:

Potentially afced7. It is the same country. Nothing in the rules about it in terms of transfers. Strange.

You could test it, save, add a new manager to another EU club and see if you have to pay the same amount of compensation, and then reload. I don't know if all the rules are displayed on the relevant screen, for example I don't think there's anything on the Premier League rules players about clubs in England only being able to sign players from other English clubs a month before their contracts expire rather than 6 months prior to expiry for players everywhere else.

2 hours ago, XaW said:

I am in Slovenia. I guess a similar rule applies.

I've seen exactly the same behaviour in England. Tracked one player at Everton for two full years after his contract expired, and the game said it would still cost me around £2m compensation (for a player valued at around £500k). Plenty of other examples, too.

On 13/06/2021 at 15:11, PB Smoothie said:

I am in Slovenia. I guess a similar rule applies.

On 13/06/2021 at 12:54, XaW said:

Yes in quite a lot of countries you need to pay a compensation fee, I had this in Finland, Slovakia and Slovenia too.

On 13/06/2021 at 13:21, JordanMillward_1 said:

It'll be because, whilst the Bosman ruling has to be followed between EU member states, it doesn't have to be applied within a state - same with England having their limit be 1 month and not 6.

I don't think so because I am in Slovakia now and I had to pay £40-50K compensation to sign a player based in Czech no matter the age (I bought one youngster and a 30 year old)