Match 25 AND Match 26: Italy vs Wales (ITV1 live from Rome) AND Switzerland vs Turkey (ITV4 live from Baku) 5pm (bst)

Coulthard's Jaw

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Confused Clarity said:

While Hartson & Savage are clearly biased on their commentary. I wonder if those English people in here criticising it have ever actually considered what it's like for those of us in the Celtic nations having to listen to commentators on England games and the ridiculous cheerleading that goes on there.

It's not just about them being biased though, it's when they're absolutely ridiculous with it. No issue with Savage cheering when they scored and everything else, but when Hartson is calling the free kick leading the Italy's first "controversial" when it was as simple a decision as you could get then he deserves calling out. And any English commentator doing similar deserve calling out as well.

McCoist was biased the other night but don't think anybody complained, because while he wanted his team to win he wasn't being stupid about it. 

I wonder how wise this Italy squad rotation is. I remember the Netherlands beating France and Italy comfortably in 2008, then beating, I think it was Romania with a B team. Only to be kicked out by Russia. 
FdB clearly thinks differently anyway, he will adjust the team against MC marginally.

Just now, DJ said:

I wonder how wise this Italy squad rotation is. I remember the Netherlands beating France and Italy comfortably in 2008, then beating, I think it was Romania with a B team. Only to be kicked out by Russia. 
FdB clearly thinks differently anyway, he will adjust the team against MC marginally.

Conte did the same with Italy in 2016 after we finished top of the group. Went on to put in one of our best performances against Spain. Works both ways - if they lose everyone will say 'shouldn't have changed the team'. If they win, nobody remembers. The team we sent out in 2016 was completely changed except for Bonucci (bit like here vs. Wales) and ended up losing to a pretty bad Ireland side

Just now, VamPook said:

Wait, means less points for FF? -_-

No, I think Donnarumma's won as many points as he was going to - and even if Wales score late on now, I believe Donnarumma won't be penalised for it because he's not on the field.

17 minutes ago, Smallen said:

How much better would these games be without the daft 3rd place qualifiers btw? It would have been tense as ****.

Yeah. We are trying to create excitement out of a battle for 2nd/3rd when realistically both are going through regardless. Bit dull really.

Wales will play the runner-up of group B, one of Belgium, Russia, Finland or Denmark in Amsterdam on the 26th June at 5pm BST

Italy will play either Ukraine or Austria at Wembley on the 26th June at 8pm BST

Switzerland will have to wait but they're almost certainly through with 4 points, I'll let @Rob1981 talk through the options they might have :D

17 minutes ago, Pukey said:

Italy are either winning the thing or getting knocked out by Austria/Ukraine aren't they?

Sounds silly considering they probably top scorers in this comp so far but I've a feeling they will struggle to score against a top side. Something about their front line I don't like. It feels a bit predictable to me

2 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

Sounds silly considering they probably top scorers in this comp so far but I've a feeling they will struggle to score against a top side. Something about their front line I don't like. It feels a bit predictable to me

I think they'll beat Ukraine and Belgium (that's who I'm expecting them to face in the last 16 and the quarters) but then I fancy France more in a potential semi final. 

2 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

I might be wrong but I feel when the pressure is on, we'll see how good Italy are

if it happens, Belgium V Italy could be an interesting game

1 hour ago, Pukey said:

Hartson saying if Wales keep a clean sheet Switzerland would need to win 5-0 to overtake Wales, ignoring that a clean sheet would mean they get at least a draw and therefore it's impossible for Switzerland to overtake them.

He's too used to watching Rugby. He thought a 5th goal was worth a bonus point.

Easy to do when trying to remain impartial on such a big game.