[Discussion] Mentoring U18 Players

duesouth

Particularly when you are in a youth only save - but really with all saves, I think you should be able to mentor U18 players without moving them into the first team squad.  Training is the most important thing for U18's development and having to move them into a first team squad, where training is much more match prep heavy (particularly if you're in Europe or the EFL and playing a lot of midweek matches), hurts their attribute development.

In my current save, I've done that with a really good prospect who has a poor personality - and his set pieces are improving as I cover that extensively in my first team training - but not much else.  If I leave him in the U18, his poor personality will remain and limit his potential - but seems like I'm missing out on something either way.

• 3 weeks later...
  • SI Staff

Senior squad members would only really mentor u18s players they train with. You can give the player individual training to do to improve set pieces. Changed to discussion to allow more opinions and input on how else this could work.

• Abdullah Patel changed the title to [Discussion] Mentoring U18 Players
51 minutes ago, Abdullah Patel said:

Senior squad members would only really mentor u18s players they train with. You can give the player individual training to do to improve set pieces. Changed to discussion to allow more opinions and input on how else this could work.

Could there be something in game about clubs whose academy and 1st team training ground are based at the same site? Bristol City have talked a lot about the benefit of having them both on one site even if they're not training together. Obviously if they're not on the same site then its hard for them to interact but when on the same site it happens.

Also could you have blended training time? Have the option to control what % training time a youth player spends with what age group? I know U18 academy players at Bristol City were training with the u18's as their own age group, u23's for when they played up and 1st team for bright prospects and when they needed numbers. So if you had 3 sliding bars to be able to stipulate how much time the players spent training with what team.

Maybe it's only half way solution but from my experience you can influence youth intake personality by your staff. And I don't mean HoYD only but all the coaches (especially other youth coaches/youth manager/assistant). I usually prefer coaches with desired personality over coaches who have better attributes but bad personality when it comes to my teams.

Also worth mentioning all your players will naturally drift towards team's average personality (can be viewed in some club general tabs). It's not very fast but through the years all your players will drift faster or slower (depends on their age/team hierarchy position) towards that average personality.

I usually buy the mentor (a 30 year age+ players with great personality - Model Citizen) does not care his ability and have some general traits that good . The personality search is work like magic here LOL

DEF - Mark opponents tightly

MID - Try Killer pass and dictate tempo

ATT - Places shot

This mentors will be on my U18 dont care they are happy or not, as they usually not really great in ability so their status is backup or emergency backup

And put all def  in U18 with the DEF Mentor, mid + amc with MID, wing and striker with ATT and let the magic happens

Youth players should be available to sometimes (like a rotating schedule) train with the senior squad without actually being promoted and at those times be able to take part in mentoring. So not the same effect as players in the senior squad but some effect at least. From my understanding that is how it works in many professional clubs and it can make a big impression on the young players even though they don´t end up being promoted to the senior squad.

• 1 month later...

also let's say that you have a youth player lets say he is (AMC) with 16 determination and you put him a mentor that has 15 determination why youth's determination should match his mentor determination?

why lose 1 point of his determination it doesn't seem correct.

• 5 months later...