Match 51 THE FINAL: Italy vs England - 8pm Sunday BBC1 AND ITV1 LIVE FROM WEMBLEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Jorg said:

What do we all think for the actual game?  It's going to be tight isn't it?  I can definitely see ET and penalties. 

Evenly matched teams, could go either way.

If I was English, I'd be worried about Pickford. Against Denmark he's shown signs of Pickford we all know.

If I was Italian, I'd be worried about full-backs. Both starters are injured, but what's even more worrying is that there are no subs on the bench for those two. Early yellow can easily happen against English wingers and then they're in a huge problem whole game long.

2 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

If I was Italian, I'd be worried about full-backs. Both starters are injured, but what's even more worrying is that there are no subs on the bench for those two. Early yellow can easily happen against English wingers and then they're in a huge problem whole game long.

I'm expecting a red card from an Italian defender, maybe one of the ageing CBs once the game starts getting cynical and we're running at them with pace.

4 minutes ago, Rikulec said:

It's been a thing in Poland for a few years. :D

QLzdgh9.jpg

How did Piatek manage to squeeze himself into a picture with all those greats? :D

2 minutes ago, Weezer said:

I'm expecting a red card from an Italian defender, maybe one of the ageing CBs once the game starts getting cynical and we're running at them with pace.

They're too experienced for that.
Bonucci could get exposed, though.

10 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

How did Piatek manage to squeeze himself into a picture with all those greats? :D

That collage was probably made towards the end of his two-month purple patch. :D

Edited by Marius_R

2 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

He had this one season after his move to Genoa where he kept scoring regularly and was in contention for the Serie A top scorer, he also made his debut for the national team around that time and scored as well. Let's just say people went a little bit crazy. :lol:

2 minutes ago, Rikulec said:

He had this one season after his move to Genoa where he kept scoring regularly and was in contention for the Serie A top scorer, he also made his debut for the national team around that time and scored as well. Let's just say people went a little bit crazy. :lol:

He's the definition of a half-season wonder. :D

18 minutes ago, Jorg said:

What do we all think for the actual game? 

Just had a dry run in the 1981 household and England ran out 6-3 winners. Marcus Rashford hat trick. Helps that my son played as England and I’m terrible at FIFA.

1 minute ago, Rob1981 said:

Just had a dry run in the 1981 household and England ran out 6-3 winners. Marcus Rashford hat trick. Helps that my son played as England and I’m terrible at FIFA.

I think most of us would enjoy a 6-3!  :cool:

24 minutes ago, Jorg said:

What do we all think for the actual game?  It's going to be tight isn't it?  I can definitely see ET and penalties. 

I'd imagine we'll be about 6-1 up at half time and then we'll really turn on the style in the second half.

14-3.

14 hours ago, Pompeyboyz said:

You ever get one of those deep feelings before a big football match that you can't shake like you know something is going to happen??

For some reason I have it in my head that Kalvin Phillips is going to be a big part in tomorrow's game either as the hero or the villain. 

I've had them before a couple of times and they have pretty much come true. 

It feels like it's our time now. 

Okay... my prediction.

England will score first to send the crowd into overdrive. But then Italy will equalise just before half-time... and then they'll score again to win 2-1. :(

At least that's a better outcome than when Italy played England in this match on my FM21 journeyman save. Italy won that 3-1, with Dele Alli scoring England's only goal. Remember him? :lol:

Not really nervous at all. I feel really content with our tournament and the way we've played and unless we are completely humiliated in the final then there's nothing anyone can really say against us. Winning would be absolutely outstanding though and I really hope we do it.

9 minutes ago, Mr Adam said:

Hearing it’s a back three of Walker, Stones and Maguire. Trippier in at RWB with Saka back on bench.

I'm not sure that is the best way to go.  I watched the ITV preview last night and there was some really good insight from Gary Neville.  With Kane dropping deep he can bring Chiellini and Bonucci out creating space in behind for Sterling and Saka/Sancho.

By going to a back three you are taking that possibility away unless you are going to use the wing backs to get in behind but they haven't done that all tournament.  Also, are three CBs needed?

Really don't think we need 3 CBs against the Italians and if that's what we're going for it's going to be a very dull and edgy game. However everything Southgate has done so far has paid off for him so I'm not going to argue, the football gods decided football was coming home before this tournament even kicked off. It's all coming up Southgate.

4 minutes ago, Jorg said:

I'm not sure that is the best way to go.  I watched the ITV preview last night and there was some really good insight from Gary Neville.  With Kane dropping deep he can bring Chiellini and Bonucci out creating space in behind for Sterling and Saka/Sancho.

By going to a back three you are taking that possibility away unless you are going to use the wing backs to get in behind but they haven't done that all tournament.  Also, are three CBs needed?

I don’t think anybody really knows the right answer. I saw Nevilles point as well and it sounds brilliant in theory but in reality not many center backs have been following Kane anyway and it’s usually been a defensive mid dealing with him.

Its definitely not the team I’d have chosen but I’ve never had a manager of any team I support that I trust more, so I back it.

And anyway our best creative attacking outlet has actually been Luke Shaw. I think 3 at back will give him and Trippier a bit more freedom, whilst also protecting a Rice and Phillips combo that could easily get overrun.

I don’t think going 3 at back has to be the defensive move it looks like.

I thought Henderson would have started tonight. Rice and Phillips have done really well but just seems crazy to me that you would leave all that PL and Champions League winning experience on the bench if he’s fully fit.

Probably still the one question mark around Southgate for me, is he ruthless enough to drop one of the lads that has got us here.

Just now, ginnybob said:

Can see it being an extremely cautious and nervy affair from both sides. 

Yeh absolutely. I think it was going to be cautious and nervy no matter what team got put out. At least with 3 at the back it will be cautious and nervy with a more solid base.

I still think Shaw and Sterling combining is our best outlet anyway. And if anything this increases that.

1 minute ago, Rob1981 said:

I thought Henderson would have started tonight. Rice and Phillips have done really well but just seems crazy to me that you would leave all that PL and Champions League winning experience on the bench if he’s fully fit.

Probably still the one question mark around Southgate for me, is he ruthless enough to drop one of the lads that has got us here.

I reckon I’d have picked the same team from the last game but Henderson in for Mount, to give an extra man slightly deeper and free both him and Phillips up to drive on. He’d have been completely crucified for that though.