Match 51 THE FINAL: Italy vs England - 8pm Sunday BBC1 AND ITV1 LIVE FROM WEMBLEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Anyone blaming stewards is an idiot.

They're not equipped to deal with such a crowd and why would they put themselves at risk when they're probably severely underpaid?

This was a job for riot police.
Riot police that's accustomed to dealing with football fan crowds.

Those stewards are already going above and beyond already. Really feel for them

This is why night kickoffs are always a terrible idea for big games as all the Bertie big bollockses have been piling in the pints and coke.

Saying that I know a fair amount of people that can't remember a single moment of Millwalls 2004 cup final and that was a 3pm kick off

1 minute ago, Mr Adam said:

TV audience. Plus I’m not sure I’m a fan of UEFA having to change kick off times to deal with the fact that our society does this. 

FIFA went for a kick off time 3 hours earlier in 2018 to maximise global TV audiences, a little bit surprised UEFA didn't do the same. Having said that 3 hours probably doesn't make that much of a difference.

6 minutes ago, Weezer said:

Tough one. At some point you have to expect people to be responsible enough to behave themselves. Even though that was never going to happen. You also have the real probability that a larger than usual and proactive police presence is only going to antagonize these morons even more.

Either way the horse has long since bolted, there's no controlling this crowd peacefully now.

Yeah I was saying earlier, it's the kind of thing that needs an early larger visible presence. Just being and letting them do their thing while weeding out the larger idiots, but letting everyone else have their more or less harmless fun. Defuse the whole thing nice and early. But yeah it's way too late now. From a police organisation point of view it's a massive failure. We seem to either get no presence, or violent police action. And nothing in-between. 

2 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

FIFA went for a kick off time 3 hours earlier in 2018 to maximise global TV audiences, a little bit surprised UEFA didn't do the same. Having said that 3 hours probably doesn't make that much of a difference.

An earlier kick off would also be beneficial to the Asian market. Really can't see any good reason it wasn't a 3-4pm kick off.

Having said that, it probably wouldn't stop scenes like this in all honesty. 

8 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

This is amateur hour from the authorities, we have held LOADS of big sporting events with terrible fans and have managed to cope OK.

Not condoning anyone's behaviour obviously, but the UEFA ticketing has been an absolute shambles.  Keeping tickets back for corporates and hospitality as long as possible and then only if they can't sell them for 5x the normal price releasing them to the ordinary folk online literally a couple of hours before kickoff.  Now everything is digital and you don't even need physical paper tickets, basically just encouraging people without tickets to congregate near the stadium and refresh their phones over and over in the hope of getting lucky.  Not that UEFA will see any of this, even though it is their event to host and manage, just dole out a token fine to the FA for the behaviour of randoms on the street outside who are nothing to do with them.

And hard to believe people are throwing drinks in the air when Twitter literally turned throwing drinks in the air into a meme.

Edited by Rob1981

I know they’re valid points, but it always annoys me when things like this happen that people then go to things like “where are the police” and “why is it an 8pm kick off?”

Very valid of course. Just takes some of the blame for this away from some of this disgusting culture we celebrate in this country.

Edited by Mr Adam

1 minute ago, Rob1981 said:

Not condoning anyone's behaviour obviously, but the UEFA ticketing has been an absolute shambles.  Keeping tickets back for corporates and hospitality as long as possible and then only if they can't sell them for 5x the normal price releasing them to the ordinary folk online literally a couple of hours before kickoff.  Now everything is digital and you don't even need a physical paper tickets, basically just encouraging people without tickets to congregate near the stadium and refresh their phones over and over in the hope of getting lucky.  Not that UEFA will see any of this, even though it is their event to host and manage, just dole out a token fine to the FA for the behaviour of randoms on the street outside who are nothing to do with them.

And hard to believe people are throwing drinks in the air when Twitter literally turned throwing drinks in the air into a meme.

Of course the authorities should have done more and should take some blame. considering some of the morons we have supporting us.

But you know, fans have to take responsibility too.

I know they’re valid points, but it always annoys me when things like this happen that people then go to things like “where are the police” and “why is it an 8pm kick off?”

Very valid of course. Just takes some of the blame for this away from some of this disgusting culture we celebrate in this country.

I don't think it takes the blame away. We know we're shambles on that front. It's going to take a long time to change that, if at all. But we still have a responsibility to deal with so it doesn't impact everyone else. Plenty of England fans out who won't want any part of this

Just now, The Amazing Dale Watkins said:

Not saying it's no big deal, but it's good to keep some perspective. My point was that it's hard to imagine this hype getting topped even if they reach a WC final. 

It’s because it’s at home. A home Euros final is going to get treated equal to a foreign hosted World Cup final, IMO.

Just now, themadsheep2001 said:

I don't think it takes the blame away. We know we're shambles on that front. It's going to take a long time to change that, if at all. But we still have a responsibility to deal with so it doesn't impact everyone else. Plenty of England fans out who won't want any part of this

Absolutely. There’ll also be plenty at Wembley without tickets that are there to genuinely enjoy the atmosphere. 

and have been greeted with this.

There’ll also be plenty at Wembley without tickets that are there to genuinely enjoy the atmosphere. 

Chances now are that there are fans with tickets that won't be able to get in and will miss the opportunity of a lifetime.

24 minutes ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

I really hope the hooligan element of the support don't get all the headlines tomorrow. The narrative around the football in England has been progressive and unifying. The right-wing xenophobes have been drowned out by the integrity and courage of the players and the positive backing from the majority of fans. 

Of course they'll get the headlines, they always do.

1 minute ago, Rebs said:

I think this says something more about the non-English home nations rather than England tbf.

Yeah if they don't like it they should vote for independence and get their own national broadcasters with control over the presenters.