The future of FM Touch (Classic) on PC/Mac

This has been the first year for me since classic mode was introduced in FM13 that I have hardly played in on my laptop. For reference, I had over 1100 hours on this mode on FM20, but on FM21 I have less than 40 hours gameplay. The reason for this? The main game now zips along at the pace that classic mode always has. Saving is quicker, processing is quicker, so I've found myself not that motivated to play classic mode this year. 

Which begs the question about the future of this mode on this platform. Clearly, it's been a big success on handheld devices, and I guess that's where they concentrate most of their efforts now. Could we see a time in the near future where the PC/Mac version simply goes away? Would be a shame if so, as I've loved this mode since FM13, but if they continue to improve the speed of the main game, will it still be required? 

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

This has been the first year for me since classic mode was introduced in FM13 that I have hardly played in on my laptop. For reference, I had over 1100 hours on this mode on FM20, but on FM21 I have less than 40 hours gameplay. The reason for this? The main game now zips along at the pace that classic mode always has. Saving is quicker, processing is quicker, so I've found myself not that motivated to play classic mode this year. 

Which begs the question about the future of this mode on this platform. Clearly, it's been a big success on handheld devices, and I guess that's where they concentrate most of their efforts now. Could we see a time in the near future where the PC/Mac version simply goes away? Would be a shame if so, as I've loved this mode since FM13, but if they continue to improve the speed of the main game, will it still be required? 

Thoughts?

I hope it does continue! I have played a little bit of the full game this year and even though it is pretty quick I still find myself coming back to FMT because I do find it a bit much at times. FMT is still faster thanks to a more simpler reserves/youth system, smaller staff and lack of interactions and that's the main selling point for the game personally.

I do worry a little as with this year while the game is very good, the simplifying of things such as transfer and contract clauses point to the development being centered around the handheld devices (which is fine as I assume that's what brings in the money). I doubt I'd consider picking up a tablet/Xbox just to play FMT if they do discontinue a PC edition. Maybe I'll go back to slogging through 2 or 3 seasons a year on full FM!

Another big selling point for the PC version is that there are no limits on the leagues you can load or the seasons you can play.

Don't see any reason as to why it would go away, it caters to different tastes. The PC version is the game with the shackles off so to speak, with the relevant restrictions necessary for the consoles based on what they can run added after. It sells as a standalone game and probably serves more as the introduction to FM, at a lower price point, than the main game. 

Touch will stay as it’s a game for people who don’t want all the “boring stuff” like press conferences etc, The market for touch is huge, as it’s a game that is fast, portable and has a 3D match engine. It’s all great for beginners to get into football manager as it’s not so stressful haha 

• SI Staff
1 minute ago, Malicious Penguin said:

Excellent! I always hope to get into the "full" game, but just find touch that little bit more fun to just pick up and play. 

I'm glad to hear that - that is entirely the intent with it - it'll never be 'dumbed down' ... but the aim is to keep it a little friendlier, fun to play and faster than the full-fat game :D

FM Touch/Classic re-kindled my love for FM/CM. Been a player since CM Italia in the early 90's but life started getting in the way and I couldn't devote as much time and keep up as the depth increased. Classic mode was an absolute God send as I've never been fussed for press conferences etc. Transfers and tactics are the things I like most and I can do both of those in FMT.

The only downside was when it went from Classic to Touch and custom databases stopped working. That is a big shame and limits the shelf life for me. The game is released November, official update in February and then it's out of date in May when the leagues finish, promotions/relegations and the transfer window opens. So for a game with a new version every year, it is only playable for me for 6~7 months of the year.

This time of year I switch to the full-game, grab a transfer update and play until the new Touch is released.

I know there is cross-play considerations (and probably the in-game purchases) but @Marc Vaughanif you are reading, please consider separating the PC/Mac versions from Tablets and let us use transfer updates!

19 hours ago, CAE82 said:

FM Touch/Classic re-kindled my love for FM/CM. Been a player since CM Italia in the early 90's but life started getting in the way and I couldn't devote as much time and keep up as the depth increased. Classic mode was an absolute God send as I've never been fussed for press conferences etc. Transfers and tactics are the things I like most and I can do both of those in FMT.

The only downside was when it went from Classic to Touch and custom databases stopped working. That is a big shame and limits the shelf life for me. The game is released November, official update in February and then it's out of date in May when the leagues finish, promotions/relegations and the transfer window opens. So for a game with a new version every year, it is only playable for me for 6~7 months of the year.

This time of year I switch to the full-game, grab a transfer update and play until the new Touch is released.

I know there is cross-play considerations (and probably the in-game purchases) but @Marc Vaughanif you are reading, please consider separating the PC/Mac versions from Tablets and let us use transfer updates!

Absolutely with you. The only main thing that I really want to see in FMT is the editing function.

• SI Staff
On 29/08/2021 at 02:52, johnloch said:

Absolutely with you. The only main thing that I really want to see in FMT is the editing function.

Long-term I want to add some kind of editing into FMT, this isn't something which will happen overnight however so please be patient (ie. it won't be in this years game).

As long as it happens before I have Grandkids then it will appreciated @Marc Vaughan!

Editing (as in IGE) is not important but using custom editor files is essential in my view. I think it was more of a glitch/workaround rather than officially supported feature in earlier games but it worked fine and never caused me issues. As far as I can remember, it was when both game were combined, you started a game on full-fat, selected which custom database files to use, then went to Classic and started a new career.

Full-fat players are probably enjoying Deadline Day as they can pick up an update and start a new save tomorrow…meanwhile FMT players are about to start a save to try and save Sheff Utd from relegation from the EPL…

I don't want it to descend into an editor for FMT discussion, I guess I just thought allowing PC users to utilise databases in the same way we can override the 3 nation limit thus removing crossplay would be an option. 

I appreciate the monetisation aspect (financial editing etc), but even if it was just moving players/clubs between divisions/adding divisions, and not actually editing stats I'd be delighted. 

I know the whole aspect is tricky, and FMT is about speed (adding English leagues to level 21 would understandably be out), but even if there was an x club/division limit per nation...

I'm glad you hope to add editing again @Marc Vaughan, if only because it'll increase the longevity of my game time!

3 hours ago, Malicious Penguin said:

I don't want it to descend into an editor for FMT discussion, I guess I just thought allowing PC users to utilise databases in the same way we can override the 3 nation limit thus removing crossplay would be an option. 

I appreciate the monetisation aspect (financial editing etc), but even if it was just moving players/clubs between divisions/adding divisions, and not actually editing stats I'd be delighted. 

I know the whole aspect is tricky, and FMT is about speed (adding English leagues to level 21 would understandably be out), but even if there was an x club/division limit per nation...

I'm glad you hope to add editing again @Marc Vaughan, if only because it'll increase the longevity of my game time!

I would also be delighted if we were allowed to be able to select lower down the pyramid systems in some countries adds more to the game more challenging too I understand fully it’s supposed to make it faster play on touch but you always look for that little bit more without having to go to the full game

Just in case any FMT players are not aware, it is possible to use DDT files to add more players to the game. I don’t think I’ll be allowed to post the link here, but Googling FM Touch and DDT files should take you to a 90,000 player database. It really enhances the game.

I did spend a while trying to get EDT files to create future transfers and hence add in transfers, but no luck unfortunately.

On 30/08/2021 at 17:49, Marc Vaughan said:

Long-term I want to add some kind of editing into FMT, this isn't something which will happen overnight however so please be patient (ie. it won't be in this years game).

Being patient for 9 years and counting...

One thing I do also wish you could do in the interface when you start a career is. Tab that, you can click to disable all unlockables, So zero temptation to click them and cheat, in turn this could be a way of incorporating FFP making the financial side of touch much more realistic, but In a more simplified way. 

Edited by zakbrown96

Em 30/08/2021 em 13:49, Marc Vaughan disse:

But I've been putting up with it for 10 years 😔

Eles lançaram o jogo em novembro, a última atualização é em março. Depois disso fica difícil querer jogar o FMT, estamos em busca de novos desafios até que chegue o próximo FMT. 

Uma possibilidade, um novo editor externo usando as regras do Touch e o banco de dados de versões do Touch. Assim, poderíamos criar novas ligas e modificar o banco de dados.

Another option is to keep editing in the same FM editor. When opening the editor we could have the option to customize the normal FM database and the FM Touch customization option. That way we would make the magic happen.

Edited by bluman

On 24/08/2021 at 11:40, Dagenham_Dave said:

Thoughts?

Funny that you still insist on calling it Classic, which I agree is a much better name.

Personally, my life will be empty if FMT stops being supported on PCs. Pleased to hear SI's statement above!

Edited by Burbian De Bay

I played the full FM version, even FM21 as I just got a new laptop. But I kept being frustrated by the sluginess (so many continue clicks before something really interesting (match, important inbox message etc) happens, even with the less interruptions checked in preferences) and mostly overwhelmed by information overload and the white noise much not needed information created. Needing to do 4 or 5 clicks just to be able to assemble a full picture of a player abilities, character, contract status etc. was getting too much.

So, I tried FM Touch aka Classic. I tried it a few years ago but found it too dumbed down (no mentoring, not enough "steering" of player performances/development etc). Last month I tried it again. With Airbus UK (I work in aviation industry so there goes). And finding back that sparkle of fun I had when playing CM01/02. The smoothness, not being bogged down by (pointless?) interactions and news items. I still miss some things, like praising/berating players on their training performance, having team meetings or warning players you're going to strip them of their captaincy. You know, small little things that interact with their motivation and play level. Having these possibilities and add importing transfer updates/corrections ('cause let's face it, it's near impossible to have a correct transfer update anyway and for 1 player UK leagues are of paramount importance, for another player it might be Belgian or some other obscure league :D ) would make the game perfect for this individual user :) In its current state it is however already a much more relaxing and enjoyable experience than the full FM version for me.

Edited by DJ Sir Matthew

On 30/08/2021 at 17:49, Marc Vaughan said:

To be honest people have been asking for an editor for quite a few past editions of FMT so I think we have been a patient bunch. But even the chance to put custom databases in would be most welcomed so my thinking is that if you don't want to do an editor or things then save yourself some hassle and finish doing FMT then you won't keep getting your loyal customers asking for the same thing every year. Simples

2 hours ago, bezzy1970 said:

To be honest people have been asking for an editor for quite a few past editions of FMT so I think we have been a patient bunch. But even the chance to put custom databases in would be most welcomed so my thinking is that if you don't want to do an editor or things then save yourself some hassle and finish doing FMT then you won't keep getting your loyal customers asking for the same thing every year. Simples

It is really a combination of patience, understanding and disappointment management, not having yet an editor for FMT or have the existing editor edit FMT database. Been asking for it nearly 9 years, since it’s FM Classic creation. Yet (according to SIT (Sports Interactive Team)) we are all expecting for the iPads/tablet to improve to handle the editor and Costume files. Luckily with the M1 on the iPad Pros we are seeing that improvement. I mean if the MacBook Air with the M1 can run costume files, then the IPad Pro can do so, on paper… Oh right the reason shifted now that we have to wait for the switch to improve to have those costume files, because FMT needs to be equal to all devices… got it! :( I wonder what is the next console we will have to wait for the technology to catch on. Switch 5? WOW, I know it is Nano iWatch 5000? Is the Xbox on the same technology we have to wait?

I used to like to hear about the commitment of SIT saying that they like to see an editor on FMT. Give me hope, that rather sooner then later we will have an editor. After 9 years now when someone SIT say they like to see FMT editor, I get a bit of meh/whatever reaction. Perhaps i reach a point of saturation of always hearing the same promises and nothing happens, that I’m at a point not interested on what SI says about it. Pigs are like to gain wings and fly then SIT ever release or enable the FMT Editor.

I also will not bother to request any more… (pause a minute for any type of celebrations, if you wish to do so) …simply because despite several people here requested it, asking for it, begging for it and giving examples the importance of an editor would have on them, how they would use it in this game version, has made zero efforts to convince SIT for a decade (for what Marc Vaughan said we can clearly state it will be a decade long wait), not sure what will convince them to do so. I now view how comically ridiculous this entire effort from my part of wasting so much time to request it.

SIT, can now promise the moon, I will only believe an FMT editor happens, when I have it actually physically installed on my computer and using it, because until then I think another like scenario to happen before they deliver the editor, now matter how much SIT will preach here, on social media or with megaphone on a anti-vax rally they say how committed they are to FMT.

Edited by grade

• Administrators

As stated within the blog

Anyone who wants to play a streamlined version of FM anywhere other than Switch will still be able to do so, but the game won’t be called ‘Touch’.

For PC players, the Xbox Edition will be available to purchase via the Microsoft Store or via Game Pass, while tablet players will be able to stream that game to their devices via Microsoft’s xCloud streaming service (which is available to anyone with a Game Pass Ultimate subscription). 

I won't claim to even in the slightest know what the deal is with the xbox version, but its worth keeping an eye on announcements for that to see if it lines up with what you're wanting. Given the price of the first month of gamepass, giving it a go will be worthwhile just for all the other games you get with it.

hi @Marc Vaughan - are there any key differences between FMT on PC and FM Xbox on PC?

On the face of it, it looks the same (and I suspect at the software level, it's probably the same core, with potentially different UX/UI style, and OS/hardware interface). 

For FM Touch PC players, it'd be good to weigh up Xbox edition VS full FM with preferences/configuration set to minimise the additional interactions.  And of course, what's different to what we experience now.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, celticfan said:

hi @Marc Vaughan - are there any key differences between FMT on PC and FM Xbox on PC?

On the face of it, it looks the same (and I suspect at the software level, it's probably the same core, with potentially different UX/UI style, and OS/hardware interface). 

For FM Touch PC players, it'd be good to weigh up Xbox edition VS full FM with preferences/configuration set to minimise the additional interactions.  And of course, what's different to what we experience now.

The Xbox Edition was originally based from Football Manager Touch, so yes they share many similarities and are designed to be that streamlined approach. Believe the main difference is that Xbox Edition is limited to ten loadable nations, where Touch it was three by default, or unlimited if you changed the settings. 

In terms of general gameplay and approach, you'll find them quite similar. And just because it has Xbox in the name, doesn't mean you need a controller, it can be played with mouse and keyboard. 

Prompted by the sad news today about no FMT22 I have to ask although probably someone already has in the past:

Is it / will it be possible to reduce full fat FM roughly to the level of FMT in terms of what you need to bother with (ie. transfers, tactics, brief 1-2 questions instead of boring conferences, simplified training & interactions with players/staff etc.). If it is doable I wouldn't mind slightly longer processing times than FMT had and would happily pay the full FM price just to play it in a more streamlined manner.

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, right_winger said:

Prompted by the sad news today about no FMT22 I have to ask although probably someone already has in the past:

Is it / will it be possible to reduce full fat FM roughly to the level of FMT in terms of what you need to bother with (ie. transfers, tactics, brief 1-2 questions instead of boring conferences, simplified training & interactions with players/staff etc.). If it is doable I wouldn't mind slightly longer processing times than FMT had and would happily pay the full FM price just to play it in a more streamlined manner.

You can set up responsibilities so you're supported and don't have to do certain tasks you don't want to. 

You could try the FM21 Demo which is available via Steam and Epic to see how you find it. There will also be an FM22 Demo released when the game is fully launched. 

Thanks @Neil Brock, I knew I could but my question was more about how much "stripped down" full FM can be by ticking/unticking preferences. Only because I haven't played full version since 2011 or something like that so was hoping for answers from others that maybe tried a similar approach.

Good shout about the demo, will have to try it at some point I guess but still handy to have some info beforehand.

I personally hope that full FM will become fully adjustable through preferences to the point where we could play "like FMT" but with full player database, proper competition rules and being able to play custom leagues and use the editor. I guess if SI do a research among FMT users that could well be a general conclusion (although still it's only my guess).

Just now, right_winger said:

Thanks @Neil Brock, I knew I could but my question was more about how much "stripped down" full FM can be by ticking/unticking preferences. Only because I haven't played full version since 2011 or something like that so was hoping for answers from others that maybe tried a similar approach.

Good shout about the demo, will have to try it at some point I guess but still handy to have some info beforehand.

I personally hope that full FM will become fully adjustable through preferences to the point where we could play "like FMT" but with full player database, proper competition rules and being able to play custom leagues and use the editor. I guess if SI do a research among FMT users that could well be a general conclusion (although still it's only my guess).

You will have to experiment and see what the AI does well and doesn't. Sometimes they don't hire staff even though you have plenty of spaces. Last year my scouts ate up the entire scouting budget in 2 months which ruined my save as I play with attribute masking on and couldn't really get any further reports.

I prefer to take charge of almost everything apart from training because keeping your players happy is important and not something I'd trust the AI with. I've had assistants say they're open to offers for my star player even though I have absolutely no intention of selling.

2 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

The Xbox Edition was originally based from Football Manager Touch, so yes they share many similarities and are designed to be that streamlined approach. Believe the main difference is that Xbox Edition is limited to ten loadable nations, where Touch it was three by default, or unlimited if you changed the settings. 

In terms of general gameplay and approach, you'll find them quite similar. And just because it has Xbox in the name, doesn't mean you need a controller, it can be played with mouse and keyboard. 

Thanks @Neil Brock this and your responses to others questions.  They are helpful and much appreciated 

If there is no money, there is no respect for fans of the game.  I never imagined that this would happen one day, especially after ADM said that Touch would not go anywhere.

Edited by bluman

14 minutes ago, Colorado said:

Yeah, I'm disappointed by the decision but I'm sure they wouldn't have taken this decision lightly. 

Nor this was a last minute decision. This has been a long time waiting and planned.

believe me or not. :P

Edit: I edit my reply above and say it here, not blaming @Marc Vaughan. I'm blaming the higher ups. Sorry, when angry i don't think as clearly.

Edited by grade

It makes no sense for SI to sink time and effort into a version of the game which isn't paying its way. This has been an inevitability for a while I'd guess, and so you can see why much requested features weren't implemented over the years - I imagine the writing was on the wall for a while.

I drifted away from the game years ago anyway but do have a vague interest in seeing what it's like on the Switch. I bought one "for the kids" when the first Covid-19 lockdown kicked off and it's a great little machine. I can't quite picture how the interface and texty nature of the game work on the Switch, but I may take a shot at it for old times' sake.

Do we have any idea when FM22 Touch hits the Switch? I'm assuming that'll be later than the 9th November and realistically I can't imagine that's a version of the game with legs either, but it's my only "Touch" option now. It'll hopefully run a lot better than on my aging MacBook so that's potentially another perk.

On the plus side, I have noticed that the scale of delegation and the speed of processing in Fat Mode increased loads in the last year or two, so it may well still be possible to capture the essence of Touch in the full game. All may not be lost so it might be worth you all trying the demo and seeing how you get along.

As an avid FMT player I am disappointed, but it’s no huge surprise. If a product doesn’t bring in the income, then a company is always going to see it as expendable. The whole micro-transaction thing in FMT was a load of nonsense but maybe it was actually just an additional income stream to offset some of the development losses. Maybe if we’d all paid 99p to remove a broken leg then they would have kept it going!

Hopefully it will lead to a better version of the full version. Let’s be blunt, both FM and FMT are released every year with a whole host of bugs that take months to fix. If this lets the Devs focus on FM and release a better game each year will less bugs then so be it.

Let’s see with FM22. No excuses. Time to deliver.

• Administrators
18 minutes ago, RTHerringbone said:

It makes no sense for SI to sink time and effort into a version of the game which isn't paying its way. This has been an inevitability for a while I'd guess, and so you can see why much requested features weren't implemented over the years - I imagine the writing was on the wall for a while.

I drifted away from the game years ago anyway but do have a vague interest in seeing what it's like on the Switch. I bought one "for the kids" when the first Covid-19 lockdown kicked off and it's a great little machine. I can't quite picture how the interface and texty nature of the game work on the Switch, but I may take a shot at it for old times' sake.

Do we have any idea when FM22 Touch hits the Switch? I'm assuming that'll be later than the 9th November and realistically I can't imagine that's a version of the game with legs either, but it's my only "Touch" option now. It'll hopefully run a lot better than on my aging MacBook so that's potentially another perk.

On the plus side, I have noticed that the scale of delegation and the speed of processing in Fat Mode increased loads in the last year or two, so it may well still be possible to capture the essence of Touch in the full game. All may not be lost so it might be worth you all trying the demo and seeing how you get along.

We'll look to announce the release date for FM Touch on Switch as soon as we're able to do so. 

6 minutes ago, MEKIO said:

Will the fm2022 touch based on IOS platform be launched sometime in the future?

There is no FMT for iOS anymore, unfortunately. The blog states that it is falling away.  There won't be a FMT22 or 'streamlined' version of FM for iOS. As the blog states, you can stream the Xbox Edition to your tablet, so there is an option to play on tablet.