When does the game end?

lucazz

36 minuti fa, FrazT ha scritto:

The longer the save runs, the more player detail has to be stored so the size of the save will grow every year and will eventually get to the stage when it puts too much strain on the computer specs and it may crash.

I doesn't have the best computer. I am at my 20th season so not close to that date.

For crash do you mean: sometimes crashes or every time crashes and you can't go further?

It is not an exact science and to be honest, nobody really knows at what point the computer will just say that it has had enough.  If you don't have a top of the range machine I would be very careful from where you are and save the game every week

The thing with games like this is that they don’t have an end, except when you decide it’s over. There are YouTube videoes where people have holidayed 1000 years just to see what happens.

In a slightly more likely save, one of the guys who play some challenges in here continued all the way until 2277 before he completed it. Same manager, same team all the way. The only thing that changes is the birth year of your manager so you are 100 years forever.

The game just plods away doing the same thing year by year because it’s a simulation that really don’t require human interaction to progress, except pressing the «continue»-button.

The game doesn’t just crash at any point, but the volume of data the game needs to control increases year by year, so playing extremely long saves on a pc that barely have the minimum specs can experience crashes. If you have a decent pc, you should get by for a long time before that happens anyway. That said, setting up autosaves to run often is always a good idea to be safe!

3 minutes ago, lucazz said:

This is a smart move. I like it. Good job developers.

Thanks.

I really liked your answer.

I think it's a nice solution by the devs as well.

Happy to help :)

Il y a 4 heures, FrazT a dit :

The longer the save runs, the more player detail has to be stored so the size of the save will grow every year and will eventually get to the stage when it puts too much strain on the computer specs and it may crash.

Is there a way to reduce the amount of player detail stored in order to keep the game fast ?

Edited by SpS_Zen

No. Keep in mind that this isn't a problem 5 or 10 years into a save. Most reasonable computers can probably sustain a save for a very long time. I've never had any issues on my own PC even at 60+ seasons into a game. 

It's only worth mentioning in that its the only real limiting factor in the length of a save game. 

6 hours ago, FrazT said:

Any rough idea of how big is too big? I typically play with all the leagues running, so that's a lot of data each season.

If the amount of data is a potential issue, wouldn't it make sense to implement a (optional) feature to only store the last 30 seasons or so? Let's be realistic, while it is nice to be able to look at some random statistic from forty years ago, how often do you actually do it? Would it be horribly game breaking if it was limited to the last 30 years? 

I'd say no. But also keep the feature optional, for those who feel they really need to store everything

12 minutes ago, Footix said:

If the amount of data is a potential issue, wouldn't it make sense to implement a (optional) feature to only store the last 30 seasons or so? Let's be realistic, while it is nice to be able to look at some random statistic from forty years ago, how often do you actually do it? Would it be horribly game breaking if it was limited to the last 30 years? 

I'd say no. But also keep the feature optional, for those who feel they really need to store everything

Not really. I don't have any data to back it up but odds are that the issue affects a single digit number of people each release. 

Most of the data is not something that can be shed. Someone did the 1000 season game a few years back with holidaying and I downloaded it and could load it. It was slow to load but it still managed to load. 

I don't think there's even been a shared file anywhere near close to that with the improvements that came to saving/loading in this years FM.

Never played that far into future, but when game "freezes" you at 100 years, does it modify your history? Or it shows that you was manager of some clubs even before you were born? It's better to leave age counts forever. Guy who have 376 years is more "realistic" than guy who was born in 2276 but was manager of Vitesse from 2189 till 2023. :kriss:

5 hours ago, Prokopije said:

Never played that far into future, but when game "freezes" you at 100 years, does it modify your history? Or it shows that you was manager of some clubs even before you were born? It's better to leave age counts forever. Guy who have 376 years is more "realistic" than guy who was born in 2276 but was manager of Vitesse from 2189 till 2023. :kriss:

It's more likely than not that the age figure caps out at 127 or 255. It's a numerical value and not a text value. Every staff member in the game has an age and the next step up would be 32,767/65,535 which would be a tremendous waste of memory considering only 1 individual in a save (the player) would ever be capable of exceeding the current limit.

41 minutes ago, santy001 said:

It's more likely than not that the age figure caps out at 127 or 255. It's a numerical value and not a text value. Every staff member in the game has an age and the next step up would be 32,767/65,535 which would be a tremendous waste of memory considering only 1 individual in a save (the player) would ever be capable of exceeding the current limit.

The age can definitely go above 100, the age will more likely than not be an integer data type and that goes well well beyond  100. But even in the case that I'm wrong, that waste of space might be a concern in the 90s but in 2021 its insignificant,  and even then it could be changed for the user controlled manager only which wouldnt be a big task.

It was probably just an oversight and they've never bothered to change it as the number players that get to 100 years old will be less than 1% of the player base.

13 minutes ago, Platinum said:

The age can definitely go above 100, the age will more likely than not be an integer data type and that goes well well beyond  100. But even in the case that I'm wrong, that waste of space might be a concern in the 90s but in 2021 its insignificant,  and even then it could be changed for the user controlled manager only which wouldnt be a big task.

It was probably just an oversight and they've never bothered to change it as the number players that get to 100 years old will be less than 1% of the player base.

Other information like player caps/international goals, goals for/against in the league top out at 255.