Best Match Engine

Best Match Engine  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Now with FM 21 winding down what match engine do you think is the best in the FM series? Explain Why

• FM 05
    • FM 06
    • FM 07
    • FM 08
    • FM 09
    • FM 10
    • FM 11
    • FM 12
    • FM 13
    • FM 14
    • FM 15
    • FM 16
    • FM 17
    • FM 18
    • FM 19
    • FM 20
    • FM 21
    • Other

I always feel the ME takes more steps forwards than backwards in terms of new versions. Especially for FM21, I felt it was a huge step forward. And seeing there are much fewer threads in here complaining about the me compared to the same time in FM20, it seems the community agrees! :D

There will always be improvements possible, and I report my fair share of bugs every version, but the flow and movement is always improving and becoming more real. I will say, there is a difference between real and "fun". I've had loads of fun with poorer match engines in earlier games, and not always had the most fun with the best. So I think there is an important distinction between the best and the most enjoyable, and that's important to keep in mind at times.

I really liked the FM21 match engine a lot. My only complaint is that it stills favours offensive and direct build up by a margin, but besides that and a few minor issues, it's a ME that after a year of playing Im still enjoying. Only have high hopes for FM22!

2 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

I would love it if the two people who voted 'other' could share their thoughts with the community. 

A couple of CM 01/02 die-hards I reckon.

Edited by Lempicka
typo

The 21 engine is probably the most realistic I've played on so far. The added animations from previous versions make it stand out by quite some distance. Most fun would probably be FM17, I had my longest ever save on that version is it must've been enjoyable for a reason :D 

Was just visiting this site to read about this topic. How 21 compared to 20, which I found more a chore than a game. (Of course until you have finally assembled the best team player for player and it got very easy) 

Do wingers still wait for the defender to catch them so they can block their cross? Do you still need a vast amount of chances to score goals compared to the AI? Clear cut chances being wasted to an unbelievable extent? I hope some of these things where fixed.

But most importantly my question would be. Did it get easier to spot and did you have more tools available to dissect exactly what was not working and what was working in your tactic? Especially in the lower leagues I found it extremely frustrating that you had no idea what tactical changes you needed to make. 

24 minutes ago, coppicat said:

Was just visiting this site to read about this topic. How 21 compared to 20, which I found more a chore than a game. (Of course until you have finally assembled the best team player for player and it got very easy) 

Do wingers still wait for the defender to catch them so they can block their cross? Do you still need a vast amount of chances to score goals compared to the AI? Clear cut chances being wasted to an unbelievable extent? I hope some of these things where fixed.

But most importantly my question would be. Did it get easier to spot and did you have more tools available to dissect exactly what was not working and what was working in your tactic? Especially in the lower leagues I found it extremely frustrating that you had no idea what tactical changes you needed to make. 

From the previews it looks like FM22 will be the best by far at providing you with helpful and easy to understand data and tools to spot and fix issues in your tactics with the new Data Hub.

I don't think FM21 was a significant improvement from FM20 in this regard (in fact there were some analysis bugs in FM21) but the match engine was much improved from FM 20. In FM21 the blocked crosses do happen but for me personally its not to the point where I see it as a massive issue, whereas in previous games I did. Unbelievable chances being missed and needing loads of chances to score aren't problems Ive consistently had before but that links in with your issue about needing tools to understand what might be going wrong with your tactics anyway.

In short, if you are able to I would wait until FM22 releases as its looking like it will address all of your issues.

Edited by Platinum

• 2 weeks later...

FM21 been my favourite so far as an overall realistic package. To the point where I'd watch Important Cup and Play-off Matches in Full, rest of games on Extended Highlights. 

I did install FM10 yesterday for old time's sake and bit of nostalgia. However the ball physics seemed to bounce like a bouncy ball, pinging around the pitch. Lasted 2 hours and uninstalled again. Admit the pitch did look pretty good, and deteriorated nicely with a Lower League team as the season went on replicating the Facilities Pitch Condition level.

I'm interested to re-install FM17 tomorrow after seeing all the votes above.

Fm15 was very solid but FM17 takes it for me. Attacking, pressing and roles felt correct and the only major issue was the defensive covering but I feel it was less of an issue compared to other ME's.

FM21 is great for the ME but for some reason I haven't played it as much as 17, dunno why cause I actually like it. 17 just makes me wanna stay on for years, on +7k hours atm, FM21 7 hours :(

Can anyone confirm for me that FM16 was not good? I loved the ME in FM11 and played it for years, only upgrading to FM16 when my laptop went Retina but I just couldn't get into it at all. Loved watching games on FM11 and FM16 just kinda turned me completely off the game. I'm looking to get back into it and would've gone straight for FM21 but now wondering if I should give FM17 a try instead, seeing as though the game seems to get more and more complicated every year and I had an absolute blast playing FM11

FM17 for me. It was also by far the best looking 3D match engine with a large variety of good-looking stadiums (more than what we have today), better looking pitches, and the lighting was the best of all the FM series.  Everything after 17 has been a step back as far as graphics go.  I like the look of FM22's new animations and variety of play though.  It looks promising.

If we could have FM22s animations and match logic, and FM17s graphics, I'd be in dreamland.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...