Do you have any tips for teams with no cash?

So i've started a new game, been on holiday for a year and Walsall have come crawling. I've accepted the job and now see i've got around 50k transfer budget which ive had to re-allocate for wages. Im trying to get rid of 3-4 players that are surplus to requirements and taking up about 5k in wages. Theres nothing in my reserve team or youth team who are anywhere near ready and im down to a limited team where its even generating players for my 1st team now. 

I'm going to try and get some loans in but apart from that im not sure how i can improve - oh and the board have no intention of giving any more money. Do you have any tricks etc

What I usually do is sign players over 32 that are out of contract and then dump them after the season. They don't ask for much and still have decent stats, especially if you play lower leagues.

Get rid of the players in your reserve or youth team if they're not good enough. I'm not sure what level Walsall are at but when you're low down I think it's pointless to have a reserve or youth team because it will just cost you wages.

Again I'm not sure what level you're playing at bit you could try to sign players on no contract and give them appearance fee that was if they turn out not to be good, you can leave them out if the squad and save extra 

I’ve always tried for a senior affiliate when being a lower league team, get free loanees from them.

Also scour the youngsters that have been released from clubs higher up in the summer, there’s always a few that can do a good job for you in the lower leagues & be sold for big profits in the future

8 years in Wales so far and on;y spent £15. Just sign loans and out of contract players. I always like to look through different nations main and U21's to see if i can sign anyone on a free too.  

303f3908ce5cebea2d484a55e46ce390.png

Edited by Coxbox

If you're new to the job, you might not always find the board receptive to an affiliate club - but keep asking until they give you the green light.  It might take a little while before they agree.  If you can get one, you'll also get an annual fee from the bigger club; any and all income welcome!

I would make sure I have a firm "DNA" of the club.  At League Two level, you could lean towards >12 for Strength and Jumping Reach - and just go direct.  Perhaps one or two with good pace/acclereration (wingers/strikers).  You'll have a thin squad - so if two players you are considering have similar attributes, sign the one who has higher Natural Fitness and don't sign anyone who is in single digits for this attribute.  If you can, look at Bravery, Determination and Decisions as well.

As others have said, I would explore the loan and free agent markets heavily.  For the loans, just get up the Premier League and then Championship tables - right hand mouse click on each club and select "Get Team Report".  You will get more players suggested than if you go into the Scouting menu and search for players available for loan.  This will take time to through the scouting suggestions - but is usually worth it.  You won't get everyone with 0% wage contribution (more likely in Italy), but you might get some players.

For backups, versatility is good to help you have a bench that covers any and all injuries that get thrown at you.

For free agents - use trials heavily - use the Scouting menu, but also in the Transfers menu, ask the DoF (or Asst if you don't have one) for suggestions and just invite them for a trial and try to sign the best.

Also, keep an eye on the free agent market in December.  Some players might not be interested in you in the summer - but being out of work for 6 months will make them more likely to have interest at that time.

I always try to have 2 players at each position - write the squad down on a piece of paper, use a spreadsheet - or whatever to make sure you have cover, but don't go OTT which might lead to unhappy players.

On 03/11/2021 at 13:16, DarJ said:

Get rid of the players in your reserve or youth team if they're not good enough. I'm not sure what level Walsall are at but when you're low down I think it's pointless to have a reserve or youth team because it will just cost you wages.

IMO, cut the squad fairly thin, but don't release them all. 

You can get lucky and grab a youth that might be able to be a rotation option/sub on a YC.