*Official* Football Manager 2022 Feedback Thread

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, f.zaarour said:

Ye with att duty. But the 9 did get the ball and passed it into the space behind the rightback, so for the IF but he did not move at all, made no run. Or do u mean something else with your last point? 

Yeah, it explains they played the initial ball into the #9 instead of trying to slide a pass through, but doesn't explain the winger/IF's lack of movement.

27 minutes ago, 2feet said:

Someone please post Diogo Jotas attributes.

many thanks

This thread is for feedback, not screenshot requests. Someone over in this section of the forum might be able to help, I believe there is a Liverpool thread: Good Player & Team Guide - Sports Interactive Community (sigames.com)

Can someone explain in few words what exactly is wrong with inverted wingers and IF? I haven't been following this thread in detail.

Is it worth to build a tactic with such roles or it won't work at all?

I haven't been playing the beta very much, so most of the new features still feel very new to me, but after now being through half a season in my first FM22 save, I thought I'd give my feedback on one of the main ones this year, the Staff Meetings.

I've to say, they are exactly what I feared they would be when they were first announced. While I do understand this is how advice is shared between coaches in real life, I just don't think this type of step-by-step format translates into FM particularly well. We've seen this with Scouting Meetings, being guided through one item at a time and having to click "Move On" or one of the other options about 20 times per meeting, every week, for about 10-15 FM years, just makes the whole process feel extremely tedious after you've somehow managed to drag yourself through it once. I appreciate SI are trying to create a realistic atmosphere one can get properly immersed in, but this type of thing where my eyes have to constantly wander from one end of the screen to another, especially when the advice isn't very groundbreaking to begin with, just doesn't work for me personally. I can immerse myself into a simple list I can quickly glance over and apply changes I agree with just as well, if not even better, because a lot is left to my imagination.

I understand you can request advice summary as a list, but you still HAVE to click the Request Summary button every time the Staff Meeting comes up, which is one extra click previous FMs didn't require ("Must Respond" Inbox item). And secondly, just outright skipping what was advertised as one of the main features of FM22, doesn't exactly feel right either. If SI want headline features to be interesting and widely interacted with, and not ignored and forgotten after the first hour of gameplay, they should really move away from this type of format that significantly slows down work flow and adds endless extra actions users have to perform to interact with them.

As for the rest, I'll wait until finishing the season before giving my opinion. Match engine clearly needs some work if we're to call it a "realistic representation of football", because in no world should lower league centre-backs be as calm on the ball as they are in FM22. With a bottom-heavy formation and a low-risk Mentality, AI can currently practically hide the ball away from you, regardless of who you're managing. Set pieces also seem a bit nutty, my CBs have so far scored 7 headers combined and I expect this number to be in double digits by the end of the season (in comparison, 3-4 goals per season is world class for a real life defender).

All in all, I'm still having fun and don't regret buying. The game runs smooth and feels like the fastest FM yet. I'm yet to use Wide Centre-Backs myself, but they're a welcome addition. Data Hub is nice and fancy and definitely something I will spend a decent amount of time toying with in my long-term saves. I'm also looking forward to seeing dynamic Youth Rating in action.

9 minutes ago, gggfunk said:

Can someone explain in few words what exactly is wrong with inverted wingers and IF? I haven't been following this thread in detail.

Is it worth to build a tactic with such roles or it won't work at all?

1: They don't cut in as much as people want (in the beta they played basically like out right wingers, this has been fixed though).

2: They don't really take on defenders.

Result is that when they have space they will drive at goal, but most of the time they'll just run on the outside of a defender, be pushed wide, hit the byline, and then try for a cut back. You will almost never see them directly take on the defender and try to dribble past them.

Edited by Freakiie

2 minutes ago, Freakiie said:

1: They don't cut in as much as people want (in the beta they played basically like out right wings, this has been fixed though).

Result is that when they have space they will drive at goal, but most of the time they'll just run on the outside of a defender, be pushed wide, hit the byline, and then try for a cut back. You will almost never see them directly take on the defender and try to dribble past them.

This is a problem with FM21 too, I created a monster IF using the editor with 20s in almost all relevant attributes but he still won't take defenders on, he gets pushed to the byline time and time again.

He only cuts inside if there is a ton of space but he refuses to try and dribble into people....

Also same with passing, players refuse to try through balls in tight areas, they only pass to feet for some reason.

6 minutes ago, Freakiie said:

1: They don't cut in as much as people want (in the beta they played basically like out right wingers, this has been fixed though).

Thanks for explaining.

This doesn't mean they won't score goals and assists though? Are they match ratings usually good?

Edited by gggfunk

2 minutes ago, FM1000 said:

This is a problem with FM21 too, I created a monster IF using the editor with 20s in almost all relevant attributes but he still won't take defenders on, he gets pushed to the byline time and time again.

He only cuts inside if there is a ton of space but he refuses to try and dribble into people....

Also same with passing, players refuse to try through balls in tight areas, they only pass to feet for some reason.

I didn't even notice that on FM21, so I guess this shouldn't have impact on my enjoyment of FM22 either? 😀

2 minutes ago, FM1000 said:

In FM21 it was better, especially if they had PPMs encouraging it. I did a Wolves save once and Traoré regularly dribbled across the entire field, taking on 3-4 defenders and then scoring (or blasting it out of the stadium, since it's Traoré), at the end of the season he had the first and second place in the goal of the season in the PL, which both were almost identical, dribble past the entire opposition team and score.

2 minutes ago, gggfunk said:

Thanks for explaining.

This doesn't mean they won't score goals and assists though? Are they match ratings usually good?

The cut backs are a solid source of assists and they regularly find themselves on the end of a cross as well, so their G/A is by no means bad.

Annoying that key passes this year once again can't be used to find out who, y'know, is good at making key passes. The game considers every single pass that results in a shot as a key pass, regardless of where that pass is from or what type of pass it is. For example, Moutinho against me just now had 7 key passes. Sounds like he was controlling the game from the middle and opening us up, right?

1794225274_Screenshot2021-11-10at20_08_31.thumb.png.5f3e8329eebeefe4018da3c54b1c5d1a.png

Unfortunately not. I'd report as bug but I think it's by design, which is baffling.

Another reason why I just don't want to trust any data in the game. Convinced that clear cut chances are not recorded as you'd expect them to be either. Data Hub made redundant.

Totally different approach to this years release for me. I've had the game open for about 10 hours, looking around, couple of friendlies etc. I like what's been done with the animations and the data hub but I promised myself last year I wouldn't go near the game properly until the big issues are resolved. There clearly are several issues with the ME which in turn diminish the new data hub as a feature,  because of that I'm content to stay away from the game full stop for several more months if it has to be that way, purely because I just really want to enjoy it at its very best.  I'll follow the issues on here closely, I'm sure they'll get resolved in due course. 

Edited by janrzm

4 minutes ago, Obaaa said:

Annoying that key passes this year once again can't be used to find out who, y'know, is good at making key passes. The game considers every single pass that results in a shot as a key pass, regardless of where that pass is from or what type of pass it is. For example, Moutinho against me just now had 7 key passes. Sounds like he was controlling the game from the middle and opening us up, right?

1794225274_Screenshot2021-11-10at20_08_31.thumb.png.5f3e8329eebeefe4018da3c54b1c5d1a.png

Unfortunately not. I'd report as bug but I think it's by design, which is baffling.

Another reason why I just don't want to trust any data in the game. Convinced that clear cut chances are not recorded as you'd expect them to be either. Data Hub made redundant.

Opta definition of key pass: "The final pass or pass-cum-shot leading to the recipient of the ball having an attempt at goal without scoring"

Opta doesn't differentiate on the pass either. I've asked this of Opta before in my day job as well. I'm not sure where this distinction has come from that it must be non crossing passes, but that's not how its defined, certainly by opta

4 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Opta definition of key pass: "The final pass or pass-cum-shot leading to the recipient of the ball having an attempt at goal without scoring"

Opta doesn't differentiate on the pass either. I've asked this of Opta before in my day job as well. I'm not sure where this distinction has come from that it must be non crossing passes, but that's not how its defined, certainly by opta

Okay fair enough! Thanks for that.

I think I will stick to assists only to determine who is an actual creative force.

I might have to upload a few PKMs regarding CCCs though because I see some that absolutely have to be regarded as clear cut but they aren't and then others that aren't as clear cut but get registered. Not sure what is used to determine one but would hope it would be a chance over a certain xG number (so maybe it's an xG problem rather than CCC problem).

3 minutes ago, Obaaa said:

I think I will stick to assists only to determine who is an actual creative force.

I might have to upload a few PKMs regarding CCCs though because I see some that absolutely have to be regarded as clear cut but they aren't and then others that aren't as clear cut but get registered. Not sure what is used to determine one but would hope it would be a chance over a certain xG number (so maybe it's an xG problem rather than CCC problem).

It's probably not the answer you wanted, but I think there is a lot of confusion around the definition of key passes in general. It's quite a 1 dimensional stat both in and out of FM

Re: CCC's I'll ask @Jack Joyce if he's around, but i believe the OPTA definition of big chance, is now something with an xG of at least 0.25? Not sure what FM uses to define a CCC though in terms of Xg

27 minutes ago, Freakiie said:

In FM21 it was better, especially if they had PPMs encouraging it. I did a Wolves save once and Traoré regularly dribbled across the entire field, taking on 3-4 defenders and then scoring (or blasting it out of the stadium, since it's Traoré), at the end of the season he had the first and second place in the goal of the season in the PL, which both were almost identical, dribble past the entire opposition team and score.

The cut backs are a solid source of assists and they regularly find themselves on the end of a cross as well, so their G/A is by no means bad.

Yeah but that is more of running with the ball then it is dribbling....also I bet both goals were counter attacks after the opposition had a corner.

I'm talking about the slow one on one dribbling that wingbacks or inside forwards do IRL, face to face with the defender.

Watch Neymar for examples.

10 hours ago, Domoboy23 said:

Really dissapointed that it seems impossible to play anything like a defensive game.

Nothing beats a satisfying 0-0 or a 1-0 sneaked win. All I see currently and through the beta is myself and other games being 3-3, 5-2, 6-0 etc. 

Really sad to see that if you placed a conference game in front of me and a PL one I wouldn't be able to see the difference in quality .

Or if you put a midfielder with 20 passing and vision and 2 passing and vision ...

In my current Blyth save there have been 51 goals in the 25 league games I've played = 2 goals a game total, which is a bit too low really

I've also played a save with Newcastle and the difference in quality with Vanarama North players is obvious, even at Blyth there is a clear gap between my first choice and back up players

With Blyth I'm deliberately playing a passing game with a high line and we average 57% possession

Sometimes I wonder if I've downloaded a different game compared to the crybabies in this thread

Edited by s1111

1 minute ago, s1111 said:

In my current Blyth save there have been 41 goals in the 25 league games I've played = 1.64 goals a game

I've also played a save with Newcastle and the difference in quality with Vanarama North players is obvious, even at Blyth there is a clear gap between my first choice and back up players

With Blyth I'm deliberately playing a passing game with a high line and we average 57% possession

Sometimes I wonder if I've downloaded a different game compared to the crybabies in this thread

That was a perfectly reasonable response until the crybaby jibe hun.

I actually have a lot of admiration for this engine compared to 21. There seems to be more possibilities and dynamic in play. However, on my saves so far at least, goals per game seem to be higher than they should.

51 minutes ago, FM1000 said:

If you talk about fm21 try playing on balanced mentality or lower they actually do tricks and cut inside regularly and behave far more intelligent than on higher mentalities when they mostly just run with ball down the flank into defender.

• Administrators

If anyone was having an issue launching and using the In-Game Editor on Epic, this issue should now have been addressed. We recommend restarting the game to pick up the changes.

Apologies for anyone affected by this and appreciate your patience whilst we looked to sort it. 

1 hour ago, Freakiie said:

I did mention during the beta about the lack of dazzling runs by players with good dribbling attributes but no one really backed me up. Not enough people made enough complaints about the lack of dribbling and this is the result

Has there been anything conclusive on the player search list resetting each time? I have raised it as an issue and see others have the same problem, but I've also seen some comments suggesting it seems to be working properly now? Just trying to check and see if this is one of those "clear the cache" issues or something bigger?

10 minutes ago, Reflection86 said:

20211110_210310.thumb.jpg.c17b21108468000ab73a3bc5c6f40f35.jpgHeaded goals from corners are still extremely overpowered. On my first season since the full game was released (using latest match engine), my cb has 17 goals in 25 starts, 15 in 21 in the league. 4th top scorer in the bundesliga.

Set-pieces please

I really don't think the match engine is such a bad one, but is just my opinion

I think headers are way OP and most of the attacking is from wide positions and players with good dribbling never really try to past their marker and instead just pass it back

But we have 2 more parches to the ME, 1 in December and 1 more in late February 

So I'm sure the ME will be great eventually 

1 hour ago, Obaaa said:

FYI, personally don't think that assists are a good way of determining creative players either.

The only time assists are useful as a stat is when people talk about general goal contributions.

Just signed Camavinga for 14 million{couldn't turn down the opportunity} in January window after he joined Real in the summer.

Is that really realistic considering he's one of the best prospects on the game?

Surely he should've been valued higher if Real wanted to get rid!

Edited by Metal

Don't really understand the criticism/complaining of the lack of dribbles in the ME. Just cause you don't see it in a highlight doesn't mean it's not happening.

For example, if you look at some of the highest completion rates of dribbles in the Prem right now, you have two ouliers in Adama Traore who completes 5.34 dribbles per 90 and Allan Saint-Maximin who completes 4.31 dribbles per 90. Then you're looking at Zaha with 2.38 per 90, Mane at 2.13 per 90, Lucas with 2.76 per 90, Raphinha with 2.34 per 90, Pepe at 2.31 per 90.

If you compare this to in game, Pepe goes at 4 dribbles per 90, Saka at 3.15 per 90, Smith Rowe 2.5 per 90. Looking at other players, Adma Traore makes 3.74 per 90, Allan Saint-Maximin with 4.02 per 90, Zaha 4.29, Mane 2.57, Lucas 3.39.

The volume of dribbles are still there.

26 minutes ago, Ghost4928 said:

Don't really understand the criticism/complaining of the lack of dribbles in the ME. Just cause you don't see it in a highlight doesn't mean it's not happening.

For example, if you look at some of the highest completion rates of dribbles in the Prem right now, you have two ouliers in Adama Traore who completes 5.34 dribbles per 90 and Allan Saint-Maximin who completes 4.31 dribbles per 90. Then you're looking at Zaha with 2.38 per 90, Mane at 2.13 per 90, Lucas with 2.76 per 90, Raphinha with 2.34 per 90, Pepe at 2.31 per 90.

If you compare this to in game, Pepe goes at 4 dribbles per 90, Saka at 3.15 per 90, Smith Rowe 2.5 per 90. Looking at other players, Adma Traore makes 3.74 per 90, Allan Saint-Maximin with 4.02 per 90, Zaha 4.29, Mane 2.57, Lucas 3.39.

The volume of dribbles are still there.

Lies, damn lies and statistics seems fitting here. :lol:

Yes, dribbles do happen, that doesn't mean though that players are acting like you'd expect them to. I got Mbappé, who is a great dribbler, who I regularly see in a situation where there's a single defender between him and the goal and what does he do? Run out wide and play the cut back. Sure, he apparently makes 2.6 or something dribbles a game somewhere, but the real issue aren't the dribbles he makes, it's the countless dribbles he never attempts in situations where you'd expect a player like that to go for one.

il y a 57 minutes, Metal a dit :

Just signed Camavinga for 14 million{couldn't turn down the opportunity} in January window after he joined Real in the summer.

Is that really realistic considering he's one of the best prospects on the game?

Surely he should've been valued higher if Real wanted to get rid!

He rarely developed in all my saves he was so cheap, they don't play him enough.

23 minutes ago, Freakiie said:

Lies, damn lies and statistics seems fitting here. :lol:

Yes, dribbles do happen, that doesn't mean though that players are acting like you'd expect them to. I got Mbappé, who is a great dribbler, who I regularly see in a situation where there's a single defender between him and the goal and what does he do? Run out wide and play the cut back. Sure, he apparently makes 2.6 or something dribbles a game somewhere, but the real issue aren't the dribbles he makes, it's the countless dribbles he never attempts in situations where you'd expect a player like that to go for one.

But you expect players to be able to do somethings, but due to various factors, doesn't execute them.

In regards to 1v1 situations, there's many factors that can influence the dribbling. Even in real life, just because a player is 1v1 with a defender doesn't mean they're always gonna cut inside instead of going outside.

Callum Wilson had to go outside against Brighton in the dying minutes. If Sanchez doesn't foul him, the Brighton defender running back would still be pushing Wilson out wide.

Jarrod Bowen had to also go outside instead of cutting in when he had already passed Konsa a couple weeks ago that led to the Konsa red card.

Reguilon vs Newcastle was through on goal trying to cut inside before Shelvey tackled him, but the covering Newcastle defender would've then forced Reguilon back out wide.

As a defender, the first thing you're taught is to never allow a winger to cut inside onto their dominant foot if the forward is playing inverted. Look at the Salah goal vs City. Tries to cut inside, but then forced back outside before shooting. Again against Watford, Salah's positioning allows him to start inside and try and curl one into the back post, but the Watford defenders immediently block off the chance for Salah to shoot with his left foot, forcing Salah wide.

We see this all the time in real life, so why would you be surprised that a football simulator can also emulate this behaviour of defenders forcing attackers out wide by not giving them the space to cut in?

Edited by Ghost4928

Anyone else noticing a worrying number of quickfire goals? These are examples and I am only at the end of September season 1.

896786134_Screenshot2021-11-10at23_22_15.png.0914665b8ef756b00046fad6adc35ba6.png2072091405_Screenshot2021-11-10at23_21_47.png.13b643af26935e16c193a1d0f9d59fd3.png1485850950_Screenshot2021-11-10at23_20_39.png.3e3b4e2bae7547b28fcfb4de98c36d20.png2109534108_Screenshot2021-11-10at23_20_03.png.58c2e21eb6ed5dc76137d00797c2c20a.png1949991358_Screenshot2021-11-10at23_19_43.png.2d803cb8c76af01bd74087bed4a3e405.png535487412_Screenshot2021-11-10at23_19_32.png.5da83511ec5cc13958ce239cb4d252b1.png

I'm not saying that this can't happen from time to time but it seems a bit extreme.

Edited by Obaaa

Has anyone checked how player traits affect the dribbling pattern of IF/IWs?

In a game where Pepe has 10 dribbles as an IW on the right, many of them head towards the byline, but he does also have the trait 'Runs With Ball Down Right' as well as 'Cuts Inside From Right Wing'.

141866666_ScreenShot2021-11-11at10_25_30am.png.28f87d233ead17e05dc31e93d60ded5d.png

Same position as Pepe, but different game, Saka makes 5 dribbles in which 2 of them shows he initially wants to cut inside, before being forced out wide, and 3 others do just start going inside. The only trait Saka has is 'Runs With Ball Often'.

104790215_ScreenShot2021-11-11at10_28_13am.png.2443208153f017ac3a3da403046e501d.png

Both players were told to 'Stay Wider' when team has the ball.

Might be interesting to check if these traits influence the dribbling patterns or not.

20 minutes ago, Ghost4928 said:

But you expect players to be able to do somethings, but due to various factors, doesn't execute them.

In regards to 1v1 situations, there's many factors that can influence the dribbling. Even in real life, just because a player is 1v1 with a defender doesn't mean they're always gonna cut inside instead of going outside.

Callum Wilson had to go outside against Brighton in the dying minutes. If Sanchez doesn't foul him, the Brighton defender running back would still be pushing Wilson out wide.

Jarrod Bowen had to also go outside instead of cutting in when he had already passed Konsa a couple weeks ago that led to the Konsa red card.

Reguilon vs Newcastle was through on goal trying to cut inside before Shelvey tackled him, but the covering Newcastle defender would've then forced Reguilon back out wide.

As a defender, the first thing you're taught is to never allow a winger to cut inside onto their dominant foot if the forward is playing inverted. Look at the Salah goal vs City. Tries to cut inside, but then forced back outside before shooting. Again against Watford, Salah's positioning allows him to start inside and try and curl one into the back post, but the Watford defenders immediently block off the chance for Salah to shoot with his left foot, forcing Salah wide.

We see this all the time in real life, so why would you be surprised that a football simulator can also emulate this behaviour of defenders forcing attackers out wide by not giving them the space to cut in?

The issue isn't that he can't cut inside. The issue is that he never attempts to go by his man. If he gets forced to go past on the outside, sure that'd be solid defending, but in reality what happens is that he gets shepherded by a way slower defender, with no attempt ever made to get rid of said defender, until he hits the byline and realizes he has to go somewhere else. Does he finally try to take on the defender at this point? Nope, he goes for a cut back. Heck, it's Mbappé, with his speed if he has even a bit of space to run into he can slip past most defenders regardless of whether he's forced outside, but he just doesn't bother even attempting this.

Now I wonder if I should've taught him "knocks ball past opponent" (even though that really doesn't make a lot of sense on someone with 18 dribbling) and see if that would've done something.

The dribbling is broken(I.E non existent), it was broken in the beta and it's broken in the finished release. I'm going to try to train one of my players with high dribbling ability to run with the ball more often but I doubt it will fix the mechanics which is to make the players run to the byline rather than through the middle past defenders like they did in FM21

Edited by Metal

5 minutes ago, Freakiie said:

The issue isn't that he can't cut inside. The issue is that he never attempts to go by his man. If he gets forced to go past on the outside, sure that'd be solid defending, but in reality what happens is that he gets shepherded by a way slower defender, with no attempt ever made to get rid of said defender, until he hits the byline and realizes he has to go somewhere else. Does he finally try to take on the defender at this point? Nope, he goes for a cut back. Heck, it's Mbappé, with his speed if he has even a bit of space to run into he can slip past most defenders regardless of whether he's forced outside, but he just doesn't bother even attempting this.

Now I wonder if I should've taught him "knocks ball past opponent" (even though that really doesn't make a lot of sense on someone with 18 dribbling) and see if that would've done something.

But players dribbling with the ball naturally slow down cause they need to control the ball. Messi is probably the only player I know of who can dribble at a relatively high speed.

Look at the Saliba tackle on Mbappe a while ago. Mbappe has a slight headstart on Saliba, but because he needs to also worry about the ball, he doesn't reach top speed. You put Saliba and Mbappe in a race where Mbappe has a slight headstart, and Saliba wouldn't have much of a chance of catching up, let alone tackle Mbappe.

Also, if you're playing any possession based tactic, I would hypothesise that the tactic itself would mean that at the byline, a player is more likely to cut back to find a teammate instead of taking the defender on because you would have a much higher chance of retaining possession by cutting back. I'm not sure about you, but I've had quite a few instances where a player running down the wing dribbles the ball out of play, and if it can happen at the sidelines, it can happen at the byline.

47 minutes ago, Metal said:

The dribbling is broken(I.E non existent), it was broken in the beta and it's broken in the finished release. I'm going to try to train one of my players with high dribbling ability to run with the ball more often but I doubt it will fix the mechanics which is to make the players run to the byline rather than through the middle past defenders like they did in FM21

Statistically, your first point is false.

And I would say it's quite subjective to say whether or not it is broken.