*Official* Football Manager 2022 Feedback Thread

On 20/11/2021 at 23:09, harrycarrie said:

I think thats me done with this year's FM. Everything is well done, it looks great...I just find it lacking. ME is dull, its got a lot of the same inconsistencies, niggles and ******** its had for a good while.

I'll buy next years, as I always do, but I'd like to see an overhaul of the game, a new engine and other stuff at some point in the future. Its all just becoming a blur of the same ****, different year with a couple of new things tacked on.

Something fresh, new, exciting...been a long while since I felt that with an FM.

100%. Has felt like essentially the same ME toggling through the same issues every release/patch for years now. Long overdue an overhaul and a move away from the endless cycle of possession stats being broken/crossing overpowered than underpowered/number 10 role overpowered then underpowered/dribbling being overpowered then underpowered etc etec etc.

Basically just paying for the database these days; it's a given that the ME will be broken/deeply frustrating in some immersion -breaking, fundamental way.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, fidelitywars said:

100%. Has felt like essentially the same ME toggling through the same issues every release/patch for years now. Long overdue an overhaul and a move away from the endless cycle of possession stats being broken/crossing overpowered than underpowered/number 10 role overpowered then underpowered/dribbling being overpowered then underpowered etc etec etc.

Basically just paying for the database these days; it's a given that the ME will be broken/deeply frustrating in some immersion -breaking, fundamental way.

SI are in the middle of their 3 year cycle so wont see much change next year either . The big change will be FM24 with the start of the new cycle of games 

7 hours ago, puffascruffowitz said:

I can confirm, I get multiple emails that a scout report is finished for the same player. I assume the player is being continuously scouted and we get a fresh report each time? If so can we can turn off all but the first "report done" notifications? If it isn't a new report each time then why is the inbox being clogged with repeat emails. 

if the player is in your shortlist you can untick the box where it says "keep scout report up to date". But it should be off by default.

I didn't even look at my crossing stats until I read the last few pages :D Turns out I have averages just shy of 70 crosses per game up until Christmas with my Rangers side.

58 crosses per game average with my Newcastle save (lowest in the EPL is Palace with 26pg which is higher than the highest irl which is City at 25 cpg)

These are both with a tactic with no focus passing down right/left or overlap settings on and IF's, I'd wonder what I could get those number up to if I focus a tactic on crossing !

I must disagree with the remarks about the number of crosses or shots. The game should not be made to fit the stats. If they make like this we will see ME like the last season where the players in position to cross they make return passes all the time. I do think this years ME is huge improvement and with updates will become a very good one.

3 minutes ago, damjanovski said:

I must disagree with the remarks about the number of crosses or shots. The game should not be made to fit the stats. If they make like this we will see ME like the last season where the players in position to cross they make return passes all the time. I do think this years ME is huge improvement and with updates will become a very good one.

Exactly this. It's exactly how we ended up with the Horrors of FM19 and FM20 IMO. At least the ME feels like actual football for once this year.

Am I just unlucky (extremely) or has anyone else noticed a lot of injuries. I'm currently in november with my Genoa side and I have permanently been #1 in the injury league table. Currently 8 injuries compared to #2 with 4. Few injuries during games almost exclusively during training.

3 minutes ago, damjanovski said:

Yes to this, ME is great this time around, really enjoying the game, SI have done a good job this year, did not buy 2021 as I was still playing 2020. But I have had a lot of crashes this time, which is unusual.

31 minutes ago, kiwityke1983 said:

Exactly this. It's exactly how we ended up with the Horrors of FM19 and FM20 IMO. At least the ME feels like actual football for once this year.

I mean if your version of football has absolutely no basis in reality them sure.

If 3x the amount of crosses then IRL is what you want from a simulation then I'm sure you're very very happy.

Edited by treble_yell_:-)

44 minuti fa, damjanovski ha scritto:

Then it is another sport. But not a football simulation. 

It have to recall at real stats. 

The point is not the " where the players in position to cross they make return passes all the time" but that header goals or goals from crosses are not so easy, so in real life game it has no sense make 40 crosses for game 'cause players know that crosses are not the best solution. 

Take a look to Matt Ritchie 

it has the most crosses made in this season: 
Cross accuracy % 29
Assist: 2 

Only 2 with 94 crosses. 

T.A. Arnold 
Cross accuracy % 29
Assist: 6 

Only 6 with 86 crosses in one of the best team. 

Take a look to CR7, one of the best header of this generation. 

https://www.statbunker.com/players/getPlayerStats?player_id=17983
Total goals: 740 - header 119
goals on cross: 120.
(i think stats are not update, but it gives us an indicaton)

the 16% of the goals. 

It is a % that we can find in the game?

Edited by FlorianAlbert9

51 minutes ago, treble_yell_:-) said:

I mean if your version of football has absolutely no basis in reality them sure.

If 3x the amount of crosses then IRL is what you want from a simulation then I'm sure you're very very happy.

It looks like an actual game of football With ebb and flow and players doing things they'd do in a game. Rather than being the fairly obviously scripted on rails ones we've had prior so yes I don't care if there are 3 times more crosses because I don't actually know how many Crosse are in a real game of football.

But when I watch the prior MEs I absolutely know that the player missed a sitter or didn't cross the ball etc because they had to artificially make it fit "reality".

The ME will never be perfect the response to this years amazes me because it's very good as MEs go, much better than 2 out of the last 3 and arguably better than FM21 which most people thought was the best we've had in years.

Edited by kiwityke1983

50 minutes ago, FlorianAlbert9 said:

Then it is another sport. But not a football simulation. 

It have to recall at real stats. 

The point is not the " where the players in position to cross they make return passes all the time" but that header goals or goals from crosses are not so easy, so in real life game it has no sense make 40 crosses for game 'cause players know that crosses are not the best solution. 

Take a look to Matt Ritchie 

it has the most crosses made in this season: 
Cross accuracy % 29
Assist: 2 

Only 2 with 94 crosses. 

T.A. Arnold 
Cross accuracy % 29
Assist: 6 

Only 6 with 86 crosses in one of the best team. 

Take a look to CR7, one of the best header of this generation. 

https://www.statbunker.com/players/getPlayerStats?player_id=17983
Total goals: 740 - header 119
goals on cross: 120.
(i think stats are not update, but it gives us an indicaton)

the 16% of the goals. 

It is a % that we can find in the game?

The point you made is about the cross accuracy and the goals from crosses. For this one I may partially agree. I think that the crosses should have lower success rate, but this is true for the passes also. 

On 20/11/2021 at 23:09, harrycarrie said:

I think thats me done with this year's FM. Everything is well done, it looks great...I just find it lacking. ME is dull, its got a lot of the same inconsistencies, niggles and ******** its had for a good while.

I'll buy next years, as I always do, but I'd like to see an overhaul of the game, a new engine and other stuff at some point in the future. Its all just becoming a blur of the same ****, different year with a couple of new things tacked on.

Something fresh, new, exciting...been a long while since I felt that with an FM.

The next new thing in FM is Women football, so don't expect them working in anything else. FM23 will be otherwise pretty similar to FM22 again. So hold tight 🤣.

14 minutes ago, Sharkn20 said:

The next new thing in FM is Women football, so don't expect them working in anything else. FM23 will be otherwise pretty similar to FM22 again. So hold tight 🤣.

Please don't spread nonsense. We a) don't know if women's football will be in FM23 (they indicated it's a long term project and didn't set a date/version for it as of yet) and SI they're using additional resources or rather, securing commercial partnerships to help with the finances to get it into the game. Exact details - we don't know.

If you want to discuss this further, there's a dedicated thread about how SI are introducing women's football.

51 minutes ago, Sharkn20 said:

Women's football is already here :)

20211123171126_1.jpg

3 hours ago, damjanovski said:

Well said. Also those thinking that by not focusing play left or right do not understand how this options works.

3 hours ago, kiwityke1983 said:

It looks like an actual game of football With ebb and flow and players doing things they'd do in a game. Rather than being the fairly obviously scripted on rails ones we've had prior so yes I don't care if there are 3 times more crosses because I don't actually know how many Crosse are in a real game of football.

But when I watch the prior MEs I absolutely know that the player missed a sitter or didn't cross the ball etc because they had to artificially make it fit "reality".

The ME will never be perfect the response to this years amazes me because it's very good as MEs go, much better than 2 out of the last 3 and arguably better than FM21 which most people thought was the best we've had in years.

The fact you are arguing they scripted stuff to make it fit the stats shows you're not really capable of having this discussion :D

1 hour ago, treble_yell_:-) said:

The fact you are arguing they scripted stuff to make it fit the stats shows you're not really capable of having this discussion :D

Ah yes the go to position of someone who has a solid argument personal insults!

How else do you think the ME works it's all scripted via computer code!

4 minutes ago, kiwityke1983 said:

In that case, everything is scripted. Just be aware though, that whenever the word scripted is brought up, it's in the context of a 'scripted/programmed against me' type of view. That's why the wording is, in a sense, frowned upon.

• SI Staff
4 minutes ago, kiwityke1983 said:

Ah yes the go to position of someone who has a solid argument personal insults!

Scripted in a code sense yes, but that wasn't really what you implied -scripted as in on rails, no it isn't

If they dont release a very good patch soon Im afraid im kind of done, its basically the same game as fm21 but worse…

AI-transfers, transfers values, AI-tactics, player fatigue, crossing, possession, inside forwards:(, near post headers, VAR, new contract moaning, contract demands, youth intake being ***** year After year, youth not develop…and so on.

Edited by Guest

I'm really disappointed that contract negotiations, every player still wants to be an important player. Just had talks with McTom in my second with Manchester United. I have Barella, Pogba, Burno, van de Beek all competing with him for a starting spot but he thinks for some reason with that competition he needs to be an important player in the squad. I already had the same problem. Even players who were clearly only backup wanted at least important player status and got angry when I refused. Guess I'll have to sell him then, whelp.

Yeah, I think I'm another one done with FM this year, unless a patch improves things. I didn't know if it was me or the game, but for FM21 I only really starting playing in the new year, and stopped playing in about February/ March. I thought having a long break from the game and coming back fresh with FM22 would get me back into it, but barely two weeks after release I think I'm already finished with it. It's a shame really, maybe I've just got bored of the game but I'm just finding it really unenjoyable. I'm just sat here stone faced watching the goals go in and I dont care either way whether I score or concede. Maybe its just my problem, but the match engine this year really is so boring to watch and I dont feel the new features dont really shake the game up enough to make the game interesting. Unfortunately, it seems SI have basically admitted that there are always going to be problems with the ME, because there are often problems that exist that they cant fix without creating a new problem elsewhere. I think until the ME gets a complete overhaul, I'll never feel that happy with it, because every year theres some aspect which ruins it. 

21 minutes ago, turgi said:

Started playing last week. 

It does feel a lot like crossing competition.

It's just how football evolved. The era of tiki taka and short passes is gone. Just look at football teams now and you will notice how much they relay on crosses. Also in previous fm editions crossing was so weak i think finally we have the reflection of real football.

38 minutes ago, WHUkain21 said:

It's just how football evolved. The era of tiki taka and short passes is gone. Just look at football teams now and you will notice how much they relay on crosses. Also in previous fm editions crossing was so weak i think finally we have the reflection of real football.

previous versions of FM were heavily reliant on crossing for goals...well outside real world numbers lol

1 hour ago, WHUkain21 said:

I have to disagree here.

9 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

In that case, everything is scripted. Just be aware though, that whenever the word scripted is brought up, it's in the context of a 'scripted/programmed against me' type of view. That's why the wording is, in a sense, frowned upon.

9 hours ago, EdL said:

Scripted in a code sense yes, but that wasn't really what you implied -scripted as in on rails, no it isn't

The game is entirely scripted and on rails though and was more so in prior years, with players not being able to leave discs of area etc prior to this years game as per SI and their own publicly available PR videos.

This is no knock against SI either because in the year 2021 as far as I am aware that is all that is technically possible with current day technology, unless they've decided to hide the fact they've created the world's first free thinking AI and decided to waste this trillion dollar discover on a football game.

Its the obfuscation of that scripting that's the key to making it feel like it isn't and is in fact a somewhat organic game of football, which FM22 for me is more of a step in that direction which was my point. 

The issues with prior MEs, ie players not crossing the ball and shooting from weird angles, crosses being constantly blocked, your own throw ins being the most dangerous situation to ever exist in football etc were all things in the ME that reminded me I'm watching a scripted simulation of football, they have all been largely ironed out this year.

Having 3 times more crosses is a situation where unless I'd read it on here I wouldn't have a clue because that situation seems to come about entirely organically via the ebb and flow of the match engines matches.

As Dagenham Dave has said "once you hit continue you've diverged from reality" or words to that effect. 

In other words FM is its own special little footballing universe and placing real world hard cap averages to events in the ME are only going to make it feel less real and more scripted is the point I was making.

I'll leave it at that, and continue throughly enjoying my journeyman save.

29 minutes ago, kiwityke1983 said:

The game is entirely scripted and on rails though and was more so in prior years, with players not being able to leave discs of area etc prior to this years game as per SI and their own publicly available PR videos.

This is no knock against SI either because in the year 2021 as far as I am aware that is all that is technically possible with current day technology, unless they've decided to hide the fact they've created the world's first free thinking AI and decided to waste this trillion dollar discover on a football game.

Its the obfuscation of that scripting that's the key to making it feel like it isn't and is in fact a somewhat organic game of football, which FM22 for me is more of a step in that direction which was my point. 

The issues with prior MEs, ie players not crossing the ball and shooting from weird angles, crosses being constantly blocked, your own throw ins being the most dangerous situation to ever exist in football etc were all things in the ME that reminded me I'm watching a scripted simulation of football, they have all been largely ironed out this year.

Having 3 times more crosses is a situation where unless I'd read it on here I wouldn't have a clue because that situation seems to come about entirely organically via the ebb and flow of the match engines matches.

As Dagenham Dave has said "once you hit continue you've diverged from reality" or words to that effect. 

In other words FM is its own special little footballing universe and placing real world hard cap averages to events in the ME are only going to make it feel less real and more scripted is the point I was making.

I'll leave it at that, and continue throughly enjoying my journeyman save.

I think "calculated" might be a better term, or would at least help avoid confusion.  A match is, essentially, an absurd volume of dice rolls - the footballing equivalent of D'n'D.

"Scripting" in a gaming sense tends to be used in the narrative sense.  The notion that an outcome is pre-determined to ensure that a specific result is achieved, quite often in a manner that will "unfairly" punish the human player.

Messing around with the ME a bit more it seems the crossing numbers are directly related to wingbacks on attacking mentalities. dropping them to support/defend and asking them to cross less or dribble less results in still (relativley) high crossing numbers (though nothing drastic) and huge improvements with variety of play. You still see 40 crosses per game, but it's much improved from the ~70 I was seeing before.

The mixture of the changes to IF's which see's them attacking space more than a player (which results in them running up cul-de-sacs before turning round and playing it back) and the attacking wingbacks being desperate to cross  and less inclined to drive into the box than they were in 21 results in the huge crossing numbers.

Edited by treble_yell_:-)

I only got FM22 a few days ago and only just about to finish my first season, I like it so far. I think the ME has improved. I know its early impressions but so far I am quite positive.

However just got my first youth intake......those Regen faces are horrendous, look like some Japanese animation or something. They are really disappointing . I tend to do 10 year saves so Regens become a huge part of the overall game.

I have a feeling that it's too easy to keep players in your squad. As a bigger team in a smaller league, great performances in international competitions should at least spark a bit of interest for your best players (at least, that's how a part of the scouting system in FM works whenever your DOF or a scout is impressed by a player's performance in one game). But after a miraculous Champions League run with KRC Genk (usually minnows in that competition) there is no interest in any of my players. 

On top of that, it's almost impossible to offload players that are no longer required. Whether I offer them out with or without asking price, with a lot of money up front or most of it in installments, with added salary payments or not, and if I hand it over to my DOF or not. They're rubbish for the style of football that I want to play, but I'm sure that a mid-tier team from my domestic league could do well with them. They got their game time but just didn't perform as good as the others, although 6,7-6,8 avg over a season isn't terrible. But it's impossible to get tir dof them and it's the same issue for three players that I can't seem to offload in my first transfer window (the one in the summer of 2022).

Edited by TOMetz

I have a feeling that it's too easy to keep players in your squad. As a bigger team in a smaller league, great performances in international competitions should at least spark a bit of interest for your best players (at least, that's how a part of the scouting system in FM works whenever your DOF or a scout is impressed by a player's performance in one game). But after a miraculous Champions League run with KRC Genk (usually minnows in that competition) there is no interest in any of my players. 

On top of that, it's almost impossible to offload players that are no longer required. Whether I offer them out with or without asking price, with a lot of money up front or most of it in installments, with added salary payments or not, and if I hand it over to my DOF or not. They're rubbish for the style of football that I want to play, but I'm sure that a mid-tier team from my domestic league could do well with them. They got their game time but just didn't perform as good as the others, although 6,7-6,8 avg over a season isn't terrible. But it's impossible to get tir dof them and it's the same issue for three players that I can't seem to offload in my first transfer window (the one in the summer of 2022).

Have you loaded enough leagues so many buying clubs are active? Having a big database and few leagues can be detrimental in such cases.

I think the game is better than 2021 (more responsive tactics and more fluid Me).

But I still see a lot of crosses, a lot of balls on the crossbar and especially players retiring too early. I think FM 2022 will be more playable after the christmas patch.

How many loaded players do you usually play with on average? And do you see smaller teams revealing players for larger teams?

Is there a bug with offering folks contracts when their contract is running out ?

I've just offered 3 players contracts, all were keen to sign, on the promises page I agreed to their demands but it immediately went orange saying I better offer what they want, then upon trying again they leave negotiations.

40 is relatively close. 

In current rl PM, the team with the highest number of crosses is M.City with 287 that is 23 for game.
40 is almost the double. 
Leicester (the lowest) has 154 that is 13 for game. 

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/total_cross

Edited by FlorianAlbert9

To the ones who feel the game has too many crosses, or that your possession style football isn't giving you high possession stats:

I play with all the "possession style" Team Instructions ticked, short pass, WBiB, keeper plays it short:

tact.thumb.jpg.f50b53d421d40c3d78eb1b6ca5240a6a.jpg

Yet my profile says I prefer to go Route One:

playstyle.thumb.jpg.cccbb85c9956cd234a79db437a88b64f.jpg

Now, is this a "game breaking bug in the ME" ? 

I'd argue no, because if you actually watch the games, you can see that most the times any short forward passing option is blocked. The opposition defence has no problems man marking my striker, my AM, and press my AML and AMR every time they get the ball. So the only option my team has for any forward passing is the long route over their defence and to my on-running AF.

Whenever I'm able to notice this in my matches, and switch it up to a 2 striker system one f9/deep lying and a poacher, or more dynamic midfielders that pushes up in between their line of defence and midfield (even though that's a no-no in a 4-2-3-1 according to "the book")  you can spot the difference immediately. Play goes through the center, defenders are drawn out of their position, and my team starts playing like the Ajax of old, really beautiful stuff.

So instead of insisting that the game is broken even when other users reports the opposite, you should try to figure out WHY it isn't working FOR YOU.

I love the new challenge of figuring out how the new pressing system works, FM has been more "following the recipe" for me the last years, well now we're cooking with gas, welcome to the new frontiers!

You have to setup Preferred Formation and Style when you create your manager profile, otherwise will choose from default Route One. The more years you stick to a formation and playing style, this will change it to formation and style you use over the years. 

On 23/11/2021 at 16:22, HUNT3R said:

Please don't spread nonsense. We a) don't know if women's football will be in FM23 (they indicated it's a long term project and didn't set a date/version for it as of yet) and SI they're using additional resources or rather, securing commercial partnerships to help with the finances to get it into the game. Exact details - we don't know.

If you want to discuss this further, there's a dedicated thread about how SI are introducing women's football.

Well said, respect to your answer...