*Official* Football Manager 2022 Feedback Thread

23 minutes ago, CARRERA said:

Thats true actually, however pass completition is not very well represented in FM. If you look at some stats from englisch football leagues you will notice, that FM overall has an higher pass completition rate and isnt declining as much when looking into lower leagues.

Premier League

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.22242ffca1add6a9ce37c50ba826dc9e.png

Championship

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.0cccc32c24061b2f78014f0552f2b6b9.png

League One

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.32f5a381ed0afb841e4e98eb8ae4a976.png

League Two

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.e9313d0e10f71064b4195a2d0f42dca1.png

agree with you but the problem is not that the pass completion number is too high. The pass completion being high is a consequence of a lot of things, one example being how mentality is implemented in the game  

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, MrPompey said:

v22.3.0 is what has been delivered in this current build

In my FM experience its unlikely to get any significant ME build changes in the xx.4.0 build other than potentially key bug fixes brought in by the xx.3.0 build

In my humble view the ME is now one of the best ME builds with the exception of the pass completion elevated % statistics which will likely require a new FM version to adjust. There will of course always be improvements to be highlighted and resolved.

SI are victims of possibly their own success in that standards have risen and so expectation has risen, that's a good thing because FM evolves to continued higher standards each time but our expectations also rise.

Clear, concise and exampled bug reports will be the way to improve FM from a user perspective. Improvement suggestions also will help

This.

Its the first time I can honestly remember where I've played the patch released at this time I've year that I'm not looking ahead for future fixes.

The pass completion thing is true but it doesnt seem an issue when watching games as I'm getting much more possession than pre-patch so it doesnt feel like my opponent can eat up time and possession as before.

2 hours ago, Obamayang said:

You'd rather go back to FM21 where almost each game has 40+ corners combined and every 4th highlight is a full back's cross being blocked into a corner? Honestly this is the best place the the ME has been in quite a while, and some of your complaints have been addressed or are similarly bad in FM21. 

Is it perfect? No, definitely not. One of the major problem I see is the passing completion rate and even that is partially a display thing. It doesn't feel like the pass completion ratio that FM registers is same as in the way it's recorded on websites like whoscored and you can tell when you watch the full match. Of course it's not all a display bug and it does seem like defenders do sometimes pass it back and forth in the back for no reason which inflates their pass completion ratio.

Agree about the passing, I havent changed tactics and there is an obvious improvement with this update in the real issue prior to the patch in that defensive teams could have lots of safe possession no matter how aggressively you press either via PI or OI.

I think this patch is a significant step backwards, it appears that SI have tweaked dribbling to try to improve the IW/IF issue but we are now back to more wing play and wide players running down the line to smash the ball into a defender for a corner exactly like FM21.  The whole attacking phase feels rushed now, players shoot the moment the get within 20 yards of goal there's no work the ball into the box any more its just first time shot after first time shot.  What happened to the finishing as well? prior to this patch there was little chipped finishes and player going round the keeper now its like every player has shoots with power PPM there is no variety unless you count headers.  

Same team and same tactics I am now averaging double the amount of corners and double the amount of shots, my outside of the box shots have increased from an average 3 to 4 to now being 7 to 8 - same players, same tactics.  

There isn't  many passes missing their target or going out of play at a realistic rate. Passes aren't hitting their target on pin point accuracy but even wayward passes are hitting targets as the receivers are able to track the ball without even looking at it. Players magically adjusts for the ball without even looking for it. Direct balls from defenders are way too accurate as they hit their target like I mentioned already. Defenders do not play the ball and collect interception as much as they should. Those are a few things that are boosting the passing %.

Just watch a full game...

2 hours ago, jeru said:

I think this patch is a significant step backwards, it appears that SI have tweaked dribbling to try to improve the IW/IF issue but we are now back to more wing play and wide players running down the line to smash the ball into a defender for a corner exactly like FM21.  The whole attacking phase feels rushed now, players shoot the moment the get within 20 yards of goal there's no work the ball into the box any more its just first time shot after first time shot.  What happened to the finishing as well? prior to this patch there was little chipped finishes and player going round the keeper now its like every player has shoots with power PPM there is no variety unless you count headers.  

Same team and same tactics I am now averaging double the amount of corners and double the amount of shots, my outside of the box shots have increased from an average 3 to 4 to now being 7 to 8 - same players, same tactics.  

Wow so I'm seeing really different  ME

My team really pass a lot before taking  a shot and 1v1 finish has really a lot of variety 

Sometimes the wingers when in the box who can square a pass to someone in the centre, shoot instead of making the right decision, but not all the time, that would be disingenuous. But at least now they run and can possibly finish from tight angles whereas in the previous patch the goalie would always save shots from their near post.

It's never going to be perfect and people are going to look back with rose tinted glasses as to how wingers use to play in previous versions, but in this year M.E I think they got the balance right between shooting and crossing. In past versions the wingers would always shoot from impossible angles, like every player decision making was like Marcus Rashford. I prefer now that their first inclination 90 percent of the time is to cross or take a shot when in proximity of goal. 

The only thing we can really complain about is lack of dazzling solo runs from players with exceptional dribbling ability.

8 hours ago, 2feet said:

Top 10 pass completion rates in Premier League this season (August 21 - Feb 22).

Lots of defenders in there.

Who would have thought Lewis Dunk, big old Central Defender for Brighton (near bottom of the league) would have a better pass completion ratio than Declan Rice the young technical midfielder for West Ham (near top of the table)?

That shows 4 CBs in the PL from teams that are known to play possession football with 90%+

The example in FM has every CB, including lower league ones, with similar completion rates.

No one is saying ball players defenders don't exist. But they should be an absolute premium, and are completed devalued if your league two clogger can do the same job.

2 hours ago, dannyfc said:

No one is saying ball players defenders don't exist. But they should be an absolute premium

I'm not trying to pick on you but ball playing defenders are not called ball playing defenders because they complete a lot of passes, they are called ball playing because they are comfortable with recieving the ball when under pressure and about to launch a through ball for example Virgil van Dijk's diagonal pass to Trent or Salah. Those passes are not easy and they don't come off most of the time because the defending team is able to react to it but in the game the defending team is a bit passive which helps with boosting the number

4 minutes ago, DarJ said:

I'm not trying to pick on you but ball playing defenders are not called ball playing defenders because they complete a lot of passes, they are called ball playing because they are comfortable with recieving the ball when under pressure and about to launch a through ball for example Virgil van Dijk's diagonal pass to Trent or Salah. Those passes are not easy and they don't come off most of the time because the defending team is able to react to it but in the game the defending team is a bit passive which helps with boosting the number

Yeah I get where you're come from, a progressive pass is different to a sideways pass to the full back.

But even the latter is relatively high risk.... which is why so many defenders will opt to clear to the channel or direct to a targetman. 

Completion rates are dependent on context, pressure, location on the pitch. I get it. But no-one can convince me that this justifies 90%+ completion rates for even the most mediocre of defenders. These are Xavi levels of consistency and accuracy. 

10 hours ago, jeru said:

Disagree strongly. IWs now rather than aimlessly go wide will switch to their stronger foot (assuming you have inverted or inside players playing on the right foot to cut inside) and cut inside to cross. Yes sometimes they are forced wide but you cant expect them to not do that when up against effective defending.

Players are not shooting aimlessly, even on higher tempos Im seeing better linkups between my AMC and DLF/A or even more attacking central forwards, this is down to the improved movement and not having the IW and IFS congesting the middle as they are options now for passes.

My shooting map in a match im at half time in a game Im currently playing, a single shot outside the box from a player I want to shoot from distance (Ruben Neves).....

image.png.b7955d13f972faa8f3369b4bfef25d64.png

And average positions showing the improvement in movement when even playing a narrow formation. Previously the front 4 would be far too close.

image.png.3d8d6be2d00d89835cc518720e119f1a.png

Its not by luck that there is loads of space for my IF (21) and that the best quality chances have come from that side.

You may want to post your tactic in T&T as what you describe is most likely down to your tactical setup and not something that cant be fixed. Focusing down one side is particularly strong for opening up space for inside forwards on the opposite side, and also give the IW options with a Mezzala and Wingback that side that means they dont have to cross aimlessly on the occasions when forced wide, and gives your DLP on the other side tons of space to dictate play all over and also directly interact with the IF that side.

Edited by dunk105

8 hours ago, Metal said:

Sometimes the wingers when in the box who can square a pass to someone in the centre, shoot instead of making the right decision, but not all the time, that would be disingenuous. But at least now they run and can possibly finish from tight angles whereas in the previous patch the goalie would always save shots from their near post.

It's never going to be perfect and people are going to look back with rose tinted glasses as to how wingers use to play in previous versions, but in this year M.E I think they got the balance right between shooting and crossing. In past versions the wingers would always shoot from impossible angles, like every player decision making was like Marcus Rashford. I prefer now that their first inclination 90 percent of the time is to cross or take a shot when in proximity of goal. 

The only thing we can really complain about is lack of dazzling solo runs from players with exceptional dribbling ability.

I've actually seen a bit more of this since the patch. And I hated not seeing it at all before.

Also to note - I play on comprehensive

Edited by Domoboy23

8 minutes ago, The Goat said:

I have some graphical bugs after the update. This one is annoying. I have lost my motivation to play the game.  When there is multiple info, i cant see them by putting the mouse on it, it disappear. Not a problem when there is only one info.

613888950_Skrmbillede2022-02-26143036.thumb.png.c578b78a83f890219a6a721d586fe9dd.png

Your players have reached God mode!

14 minutes ago, The Goat said:

I have some graphical bugs after the update. This one is annoying. I have lost my motivation to play the game.  When there is multiple info, i cant see them by putting the mouse on it, it disappear. Not a problem when there is only one info.

613888950_Skrmbillede2022-02-26143036.thumb.png.c578b78a83f890219a6a721d586fe9dd.png

Do you use a custom skin? If so, can you try with the vanilla one?

49 minutes ago, Domoboy23 said:

I've actually seen a bit more of this since the patch. And I hated not seeing it at all before.

As in football there is never a right decision until a result is obtained . The 3D is just an interpretation of the calculated result whether you influence it by tactics , shouting or substitutions its just that . It isn't Fifa 

12 minutes ago, XaW said:

Do you use a custom skin? If so, can you try with the vanilla one?

Yes custom skin. I tried the original and it is so bad. the scouting news, they dont show attributes. Why not make it like FM 20 or was it 21, where you could change between menues to see attributes and other stuffs. The skin is getting worse year by year.

4 minutes ago, The Goat said:

Yes custom skin. I tried the original and it is so bad. the scouting news, they dont show attributes. Why not make it like FM 20 or was it 21, where you could change between menues to see attributes and other stuffs. The skin is getting worse year by year.

Well, then the bug you mentioned is caused by the skin, so you'd need to contact the creator. If you have suggestions to change the skin please post it in the feature request section:

https://community.sigames.com/forums/forum/353-football-manager-feature-requests-pcmac/

2 minutes ago, XaW said:

Well, then the bug you mentioned is caused by the skin, so you'd need to contact the creator. If you have suggestions to change the skin please post it in the feature request section:

https://community.sigames.com/forums/forum/353-football-manager-feature-requests-pcmac/

Yea i knoiw, but there was no problem before the update. thats weird. I have reached out for the creator, i hope he fix it fast. Thx.

12 minutes ago, The Goat said:

Yea i knoiw, but there was no problem before the update. thats weird. I have reached out for the creator, i hope he fix it fast. Thx.

Sometimes creators use functions or features that are changed in an update, so they have to redo stuff to fit the new changes. Most creators will fix things quite fast, so hope yours will do as well.

40 minutes ago, prot651 said:

As in football there is never a right decision until a result is obtained . The 3D is just an interpretation of the calculated result whether you influence it by tactics , shouting or substitutions its just that . It isn't Fifa 

I'm sorry I'm really failing to see your point, or whatever point it is you're trying to make.

Someone posted saying they don't see any dazzling solo runs from players.

I had criticised the engine in the past also noticing a lack of the above. Since the update I have seen more of it. I don't use 3D... I used 2D and on all iterations of the patch/s I have played on comprehensive highlights. It's a positive observation, not confirmation bias and at no point has anyone said it's FIFA?

Edited by Domoboy23

41 minutes ago, Domoboy23 said:

In terms of the newgen attirubte issue for wingbacks etc. I'm guessing whilst wingbacks with good crossing will be rare, they will still be some out there? Same with tall DM's

You can influence the crossing a bit with your general training if you are in charge of it

2 hours ago, Domoboy23 said:

Good to know. I play on extended highlights so only have seen a few instances of dribbling but nothing to moan about, wingers I see are taking on their man

I seen a player backheel flick the ball back to lay it on for a player to score. Some real good new goal variations

52 minutes ago, john1 said:

Just started with Belenenses SAD, and noticed they got transfer ban til 1/10/2023. Any one know any reasons why? I can't seems to find anything on the internet.

Try that Google site, if more people use it, it might catch on ;)

image.png.4e63736ccce6fe322949bfed1781c2c9.png

Belenenses will be banned from adding new players to the league (i.e. they can still register contract renewals) in the next three transfer windows under a penalty imposed by FIFA.

This means that the blue SAD will not be able to register any new contracts in the upcoming winter 2022, summer 2022 and winter 2023 markets and will meet a penalty for a debt of around 300 thousand euros to the Maputo Sports League.

The news was presented by Record, who added that the debt relates to the recruitment of Nhambirre and Reinildo, and confirmed by More football. However, this ban will be lifted as soon as Belenenses has paid its debts to the Mozambican club.

A source at Belenenses told Lusa News Agency that the outstanding amount will be paid before January.

“We̵

7;re talking about a total value of 300 thousand euros, of which 145 thousand euros are in debt after a payment expired a day ago. Belenenses must receive 400,000 euros from Internacional de Porto Alegre for the transfer of Eduardo Henrique and once they receive the money they will pay, ”he said.

How likely is it that a player, who decides to not extend his contract pre-season, still extends it during the season? Do not want to sell him for so cheap and just hope that when I confirm my good results from the previous season, he may decide to extend...

3 minutes ago, goku4 said:

How likely is it that a player, who decides to not extend his contract pre-season, still extends it during the season? Do not want to sell him for so cheap and just hope that when I confirm my good results from the previous season, he may decide to extend...

It depends on why he doesn't want to sign. If he wants to join a club that has bid, that can often go over. If he want to join a "better club", then it's not very likely to pass. As a couple of examples.

Is it just me or do team shouts do something horrendous to performance?

It seems to crash sound files and put a real dent in performance in the 3D match engine.

Is there an issue along these lines that has been reported?

The possession stats seem to have gone a little mad. It's known that teams play defensive and will pass around the back but it feels worse than ever. I'm getting regular games where I am hammering teams but they have 60% possession and the heat map is bright red in their defense.

Anyone else feel this is worse?

9 hours ago, dunk105 said:

Disagree strongly. IWs now rather than aimlessly go wide will switch to their stronger foot (assuming you have inverted or inside players playing on the right foot to cut inside) and cut inside to cross. Yes sometimes they are forced wide but you cant expect them to not do that when up against effective defending.

Players are not shooting aimlessly, even on higher tempos Im seeing better linkups between my AMC and DLF/A or even more attacking central forwards, this is down to the improved movement and not having the IW and IFS congesting the middle as they are options now for passes.

My shooting map in a match im at half time in a game Im currently playing, a single shot outside the box from a player I want to shoot from distance (Ruben Neves).....

image.png.b7955d13f972faa8f3369b4bfef25d64.png

And average positions showing the improvement in movement when even playing a narrow formation. Previously the front 4 would be far too close.

image.png.3d8d6be2d00d89835cc518720e119f1a.png

Its not by luck that there is loads of space for my IF (21) and that the best quality chances have come from that side.

You may want to post your tactic in T&T as what you describe is most likely down to your tactical setup and not something that cant be fixed. Focusing down one side is particularly strong for opening up space for inside forwards on the opposite side, and also give the IW options with a Mezzala and Wingback that side that means they dont have to cross aimlessly on the occasions when forced wide, and gives your DLP on the other side tons of space to dictate play all over and also directly interact with the IF that side.

Well thank you for posting a couple of screenshots from a single game that prove little. I have won the league title 3 out of the last 4 seasons, reached the domestic cup final 4 seasons in a row and never finished outside of the top 4.

But yeah obviously it’s my tactics, what a sloppy lazy answer that is.  I’m currently on a 54 game unbeaten at home run but I should go post in the tactics forum where I’ll get told I have a overly risky left flank despite only a few sides even attempting to attack me  

i have played a full season now post patch, same tactic and players - 

Amount of corners are up 

goals from corners up 

one on one conversation down

goals from aml and amr wide players up 

Number of long shots up 

Hey maybe it’s just me and a reputation thing, or a moral thing, or a balancing algorithm kicking in thing but regardless of what you are seeing I’m your game those are the stats I am seeing I’m my game 

Seems that nothing's been done to fix the switch to black kits bug after some substitutions - another three kit game here ...

image.png.500dcd078aec09cacc47dc72a6b8f0e9.png

EDIT:  Interestingly, if you go back into the game after it has finished to rewatch a goal all the kits are as they should be.  It only happens during the matchday when the substitution actually happens.

Edited by rp1966

I skipped last year's game - the first time in basically 30 years. This year's game is fantastic. The match engine is the best I have ever played by a long way. The biggest issue I have is AI squad management still....has been for years. I'm in 2029 and all of the other teams have aging squads. Seems like an over-reliance on current ability and reputation could be the issue. The teams just don't develop youngsters at all. If PA had a bigger impact on reputation, that might help solve the problem - it should be exaggerated too - youngsters are often overrated in real life so why not in the game.

Just my notes on how scouting does actually works in FM (since probably FM18) when attribute masking is on for those who are interested.

In the below example I am managing in Ireland and trying to build up my general knowledge of players in the UK. The scouting package is only Irish leagues - not Ireland - and I have zero knowledge of Scotland and no recruitment analyst is employed currently. Leagues are playable and simulated on full details as well as on "none" details. The results were the same:

1. Assigning an individual scout to watch a specific match in Scotland will automatically resort to "Squad player/Transfer" filters for that match and will usually generate 1-2 reports from the whole match (but often none, as the scout cannot decide without visible attributes if the player can be considered good enough to be Squad player which the unremovable filter contains) and will not reveal any attributes.

2. Assigning the same scout to provide a team report on the team he already watched matches of will result the same, no attributes are revealed for the players in that team.

3. When I choose a player who actually played in that match and check his scout report card, it will state that the scout did not watch any of his match, when in reality he specifically scouted that match that the player was involved as it can be seen from the match report/highlights.

Did the scout have actually attended the specific match but did not watch it? From the 22 (~28) players participating from the match almost no attributes are revealed. ---> The attribute knowledge does not increase because the scout is familiar with more players from the matches he actually watched, but because of the fact that match took place in "Scotland" hence after X matches watched in the country the country knowledge % will go higher, generally revealing more attributes of the players located there. But not those player's directly, that were actually watched. Connect this to the fact that "only playable/watchable" leagues are possible to scout (this was multiple times referred when Zealand highlighted the scouting "bug") to gain any country knowledge and we come to full circle that of course that is also a lie as it has nothing to do with what the scout actually watches. 

What is the purpose of assigning individual matches for scouts, if not this? Without the manual match assignments, the scouts will be lazy and attend 1 or 2 a week, but assign your scouts manually to multiple matches in the nation and watch your country % skyrocket.

When you assign a scout for the individual assignment of the player for 1 week his attributes will be revealed faster - especially if he plays in a match -  but take into account that none of his teammates attributes will be revealed from that match as the code does not take into account the participating ~25 players, but only that one! 

This also confirms my theory from FM21 and testing results that individual player scouting and actual matches watched/general assignments does not correlate with each other and running on separate thread when calculating the revealed results. Makes zero sense from reality standpoint and kills immersion, but this is what it is and makes totally unnecessary to map any realistic scouting setup accounting to this. If you check what matches your scout attended, you will not have any attributes revealed from those teams if you have no country knowledge of that nation.

So at the moment it is impossible to get a proper "Team report" from the game by your scouts. The attribute reveal will be done by your country %, the analysts in your club and the scouting package. Not by your scouts. Having a recruitment analyst on the team will work magic as it will usually provide an instant 10% attribute reveal when the individual assignment starts.

And of course pay attention to those newgen scouts who have 0 country knowledge (not even their nationality) to start with as they will not gain anything even if you assign them to matches. This bug was still is not fixed so do not give them any competition/country assignment as they will not have any % knowledge increase over time. They can be great individual scouters though, due the fact that country % is taken from the scouting pool/club's knowledge and not from the scout's own knowledge. So even if he has 0% of Germany, but you have let's say 50% in your club, you can still assign him to scout a Germany based player as the 1 week return report on the player will provide the same result if it was done by a scout who has actually 50% German knowledge. Only the JPA/JPP matters - not sure about adaptability but I think it is only necessary when building up a scout's country knowledge, but for individual scouting it is out of the context. I did not re-test this in FM22 but for 21 it was like this, making scout nationality irrelevant after you already had full knowledge of his nation.

Sorry for the long rant and probably some mistakes in my wording, I have edited this multiple times when trying to summarize my experience to a digestible format. 

Edited by marioNOW

11 minutes ago, Platinum said:

Just noticed the high occurrence of monobrows for newgens has been fixed I think. It works retroactively on newgens that already exist as well. Unless I'm imagining this?

The newgen-faces are the best part of FM22. They can be a place of last resort. If you are down, you are in fear, desillusioned of the world, just take a look at those faces and you know that there is still hope, there is still livelyhood.

after 10+ matches on the new ME i have a few comments

did the ME improve in comparison with the last versions on IW/IF not cutting inside?

yes, they dont go wide as much but they still wont attempt to dribble 1v1s, they are more inclined to pass it back to midfield or attempt a through ball for teammates running in from the middle of the pitch

imagine starting a game with PSG ... expecting break defenses with dribbling with neymar, messi and mbappe and all u see is a through ball show with almost no dribble attempts, just ball progressions and passing with no agressive dribbling, feints or skillls at all.

this is not the solution i was hoping to get with the new match engine that would solve the "IF/IW" running wide.

center forwards do attempt to shoot at goal more and is better in comparison with the previous ME.

but the lack of dribbling and feints from most of attacking players ( wide or center) its frustrating to me, because i play mostly with a 4-1-2-2-1, like  barca 06 ronaldinho-eto-guily or bayern robben-ribery-lewandowski with the wide players running at defense and creating chances mostly by dribbling/feints, thats the soccer i want my team to play...the problem is not that they wont even attempt to dribble,  i dont care if they try to dribble and lose the ball 15 times .. they just refuse to even try to dribble and win a 1v1 against  a defender. and thats what i want them to do, dribble with the ball ... but am not able to replicate that style on fm22 yet

Edited by kertiek