[FM22] Worldwide Champions League (22.4 UPDATE 9 April)

As ever, I'd like to start by thanking @graaa, the mad genius behind this custom USA database from FM15. This edit includes a lot of his work on the Extended Club World Cup that was part of that file alongside the changes I made, and I only posted it because he chose not to continue that mod or update it, but left its details as fair use for others, and I thought the idea was too awesome to let it vanish.

This database edit replaces all club continental competitions and the Club World Cup with three worldwide club tournaments: the FIFA Champions League, World League, and Youth League. All domestic leagues are left untouched and will run alongside the intercontinental tournaments: fancy midweek trips to Argentina to play Boca between your league matches? I BET YOU DO.

The FIFA Champions League and World League are senior-level tournaments that mostly work how you expect: Champions League has better competition and better payouts (though the difference between the two isn't as derisory as in real life), finish high enough in your domestic league or win your major domestic cup and you get a ticket (if your league of choice doesn't use a single table or has some other continental qualification shenanigans, it SHOULD work properly depending on how SI or your database modder of choice coded that specific league, but I can't be certain. 

There are qualifiers (the Champions League winner, World League winner, and champions of 30 specified leagues do not have to go through them, and instead get automatic group stage places), and a group stage, and a knockout stage, and Big Fancy Neutral Site Finals. There is now also goal line technology and VAR (in CL/WL group stage games and onward).

The FIFA Youth League uses a similar format and replaces the Viareggio Tournament or whatever it is called for people that aren't using the Susie Real Name fixes. It pits the U19/U18 teams of CL participants (and, where not enough teams are available strictly from the CL clubs, additional elite youth teams from around the world) against each other. 

There is also a a FIFA Super Cup between the Champions League and World League winners, scheduled after qualifiers finish (since neither of those teams participate in them) but before the September international break and the start of the group stages.

News:

1 May: No update to the main file, but I've completed compatibility patches for the bug affecting Canadian MLS teams that's described in Known Issues and downthread. The Mini version is based on SI's vanilla Canada nation rules, the Mega version is based on @yellowsweatygorilla's Canadian megapatch, with his permission and my deep thanks. The files are attached to the OP, further details in this post.

9 April: This update is for compatibility with 22.4, and includes the following changes:

-A change to the final stages of WL qualifying. Instead of the three team group stages, the 96 winners of WL Q3 are drawn into a fourth phase, and those 48 winners plus the 16 "best losers" of that round enter a one-leg final phase at the higher seed's home venue for one of the 32 remaining spots in the main WL group stage.

-The CL qualifying playoff is renamed "final phase" for consistency, but otherwise has no changes.

28 February: This update is for compatibility with 22.3, and includes the following changes:

-A fix to the reported bug where teams that drop from the CL to the WL cannot register squads for their playoff. 
-A change to the spot allotment in response to feedback, in order to create a more gradual progression in slots as you go down the rankings. The details are below but tl;dr is that nobody gets 7 slots anymore, only the top 9 leagues get 6 spots instead of the top 30, and a lot of smaller countries get one more spot in qualifying as a result.

24 January: This update contains a (apparent, anyway) fix to the longstanding issue that would occasionally (always in the first year of the game for start dates before 1 July, and unpredictably afterwards) cause a crash dump in the first week of July when the World League was created.

It also contains tweaks to the coefficient system, detailed below.

Release: The FM21 version is unlikely to receive any further updates. 

There are two changes in functionality from the FM21 version:

-All competitions now allow 5 subs from 12, with three stoppages. Any fixtures that allow for extra time allow an extra sub in extra time.

-The file now uses the "coefficient" functionality included in the FM22 editor to rank nations in the setup and allocate qualifying slots dynamically based on the past 5 years' results.

Downloads: 

The FM22 version of this mod is available as an attachment to this post or on the Steam Workshop.

Known Issues

FM will crash dump in the first week of July 2021 if you use this file with a start date before then. Start dates after that work fine, as do subsequent years of the competition. I still have no idea why this happens but I assume it has something to do with the first year of a new save and whatever unique things happen there. Nonetheless I'll keep trying to fix it. I think this one has been fixed but please let me know if it persists.

Squad registrations may disappear upon loading a save game - this is apparently due to an SI bug, but on a CL/WL matchday you will still be able to select ineligible players even though they have the Unregistered flag, and they appear to remain registered for future matches until the next reload, where they disappear again - so this is annoying but not fatal?

Canadian MLS teams apparently do not have a path to this competition, since Canada's domestic cup is not considered a "national domestic cup" by the game, and they do not play in the CPL so are not picked for those spots either. To fix this, please use one of the attached compatibility patches: details in this post.

If you need more details, they're below. Let me know if there are any other bugs or if you have any suggestions, and otherwise have fun!

Qualifiers:

Thanks to a new feature in the FM22 editor, rankings now shift dynamically based on results, but I haven't found where the game actually shows "coefficients" for custom continental competitions, even though I've seen these allocations change in my simulations. Suffice to say over time some very unexpected countries may end up climbing to earn group stage slots, and I may have to refine this system over time this year.

UPDATE: I appear to have figured out how to control the distribution of coefficient points, but since the game does not show them we'll all just have to take my word for it. At the very least there seem to be fewer deeply unexpected countries climbing into the top 30 and getting automatic group stage spots than there used to be.

In any case, here is how I expect things to work:

Nation/Association Coefficients, as in reality, are the average of points earned by a nation's clubs per year in both the CL and WL. Nations are ranked based on the sum of these averages over 5 years. Here is how nations earn points:

A win in the CL or WL from the group stage onward is worth 2 points. A draw is worth one.

Wins in the CL qualifiers are worth 1 point. Draws are worth 0.5. 

Wins in the WL qualifiers are worth 0.5 points. Draws are worth 0.25.

Bonus points are also awarded for reaching certain stages of the competition as follows:

Reaching the CL group stage is worth 4 points. Reaching the WL group stage is worth 2 points.

Reaching the CL knockouts is worth 6 points. Reaching the WL knockouts (not including the playoff - so you have to win your WL group or the playoff between a second-place WL group finish and a third-place CL group finish) is worth 3 points.

Reaching each subsequent round in either competition is worth 1 point.

Nations are ranked based on the sum of these average points over the past 5 years (as far as I can tell this starts at 0 so there may be some dramatic shifts in the first 5 years from my initially set list to what results create), and the number of spots is laid out as follows:

CL and WL holders: automatically qualify to the group stage and instead play a Super Cup.  There is no limit on the number of qualifiers for each country, so it is possible for up to 9 teams from a country to qualify, if the CL and WL are won by teams from the same top 9 country.

Leagues ranked 1-9: 6 spots (champion gets an automatic CL group stage spot, cup winner and 2 more spots in Q5, 2 spots in Q4. )

Leagues ranked 10-30: 5 spots (champion to group stage, cup winner and 1 to Q5, 2 to Q4.)

Leagues ranked 31-57: 4 spots (champion to Q5, cup winner to Q4, 2 Q3.)

Leagues ranked 58-89: 3 spots
(For 58-66: champion to Q4, cup winner and 1 to Q3.
For 67, champion and cup winner to Q3, 1 to Q2.
For 68-89: champion to Q3, cup winner and 1 to Q2.)

Leagues ranked 90 and below: 2 spots

(For 90-115, champion and cup winner start in Q2.
For 116 and below, champion and cup winner start in Q1)

The initially set ranking shakes out as follows:

5+1 (1 automatic CL group stage place, 2 places and the cup winner in Q5, 2 places in Q4):

Spain, Germany, England, Italy, France, Brazil, Russia, Portugal, Argentina,

4+1 (1 automatic CL group stage place, 1 place and the cup winner in Q5, 2 place in Q4):

Ukraine, Mexico, Belgium, Turkey, Czechia,  Switzerland, Netherlands, Greece, USA, Austria, Croatia, Chile, Denmark, Colombia, Paraguay, Poland, Sweden, Israel, South Korea, Japan, China.

3+1 (1 place in Q5, cup winner in Q4, 2 places in Q3):

Uruguay, Scotland, Romania, Ecuador, Cyprus, Norway, Bulgaria, Peru, Serbia, Kazakhstan, Costa Rica, South Africa, Egypt, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Slovenia, Tunisia, Slovakia, Australia, Hungary, Nigeria, DR Congo, Morocco, Qatar, UAE, Belarus, Canada

Countries that are playable in the base game that start with 3 spots include:

Iceland, Finland, Wales, Ireland, Northern Ireland

Countries that are playable in the base game that start with 2 spots include: 

India, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore

Format Details:

The Champions League has five qualifying rounds, with two-legged fixtures starting in June. All CL qualifiers are seeded into these rounds depending on how high they finished and which league they qualified from or won the domestic cup in, as above. The 96 winners in the final qualifying round (August) go to the CL group stage along with the 32 automatic qualifiers, the losers go to the WL group stage along with the 32 teams that survive the WL qualifiers, below.

The World League has four qualifying rounds, beginning in July after the first two CL qualifying rounds are complete.

• Teams that lose in the first 2 CL rounds start in WL Q1.
  • Teams that lose in CL Q3 are drawn into WL Q2.
  • Teams that lose in CL Q4 are drawn into WL Q3.
  • The winners in WL Q3 advance to WL Q4. The 48 winners of WL Q4 and the 16 "best losers" (not sure how this is calculated honestly) play a one-off WL Q5 game for the 32 final spots in the WL group stage.

Each group stage features 32 groups of 4 (so six games each). CL plays on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, WL on Thursdays, from September through December.

CL: The top 2 in each group qualify for the knockout rounds. Third place teams fall into the World League knockouts.

WL: The top 2 in each group qualify for the knockout rounds. The 32 second place teams will be drawn against the 32 3rd place teams from the Champions League groups - World League group winners will receive a bye to face the winner of those ties.

Everything goes as you'd expect from there.

Prize Money (all amounts in Euros)

Qualifying Phase:

1st round: 75k for CL, 35k for WL

2nd round: 75k for CL, 35k for WL

3rd round: 150k for CL, 150k for WL

4th round: 250k for CL, 150k for WL

5th round: 400k for CL, 300k for WL

CL Group Stage (WL pays about half these amounts)

20M for all Group Stage participants, 1.5M per victory, 750k per draw

CL Knockout Rounds (WL pays about half these amounts, Super Cup final pays approximately half of World League final):

7M for all knockout round participants, + 4M for reaching second knockout round + 6M for reaching QF + 10M for reaching SF  + 20M for winning final or 15M for losing final

Worldwide Champions League.fmf

WCL Canada Compatibility Mega.fmf WCL Canada Compatibility Mini.fmf

Edited by Dallan
updated for 22.4 + Canada compatch

2 hours ago, anitamui said:

Does the mod still crash in the first week of july?

Not when I tried it, but I am prepared to be disappointed again that this zombie bug won't stay down! 

Quick question: do you know if sponsorship deals and club visions are affected by using a worldwide cl compared to participating in the standard one? Like, will the board want you to qualify for it, and will your sponsorship deals rise/decline depending on wether you are in a continental competition or not?

On 18/11/2021 at 18:33, anitamui said:

but I think you forgot to remove the CFU club championship

I didn't intend to remove it (or other regional sub-confederation competitions like the US-MEX Leagues Cup) but if it's really getting in the way I can. I don't usually play Caribbean countries so I'll rely on feedback in that regard.

On 19/11/2021 at 22:33, jeje20031 said:

Great work!! Do you know if the different league reputations are also modified with time with the club results?

Unfortunately they aren't, it's something I've been hoping SI would fix for years but for now league reputations only seem to be modified if the standard continental cups are running.

On 21/11/2021 at 04:13, Morgan Kane said:

Quick question: do you know if sponsorship deals and club visions are affected by using a worldwide cl compared to participating in the standard one? Like, will the board want you to qualify for it, and will your sponsorship deals rise/decline depending on wether you are in a continental competition or not?

Club visions/objectives do take this competition into account, players will also start agitating to move to teams that qualify for them from teams that don't. I think sponsorship deals are also affected but I'm less certain how those work so I can't say for sure!

Edited by Dallan

• 2 weeks later...

I really like the concept of this competition,  unfortunately I am afflicted with the July crash bug. 

I have attempted to run this in all sorts of configurations.   But it still crashes when I have nothing else in the editor data folder and only one nation (serbia) loaded and nothing else.   As soon as I hit july the game crashes to desktop.

With no other edits loaded, I am thinking the issue is within the mod itself.   Any suggestions of what I can do to solve this issue?

19 minutes ago, magic1085 said:

I really like the concept of this competition,  unfortunately I am afflicted with the July crash bug. 

I have attempted to run this in all sorts of configurations.   But it still crashes when I have nothing else in the editor data folder and only one nation (serbia) loaded and nothing else.   As soon as I hit july the game crashes to desktop.

With no other edits loaded, I am thinking the issue is within the mod itself.   Any suggestions of what I can do to solve this issue?

Just to be clear, is it July 2021 that crashes? That's a bug from earlier versions that I didn't see in my early tests but appears to have stuck around. Start dates after the first week of July will work just fine but I'll keep seeing if I can pin down and fix the cause.

4 minutes ago, Dallan said:

Just to be clear, is it July 2021 that crashes? That's a bug from earlier versions that I didn't see in my early tests but appears to have stuck around. Start dates after the first week of July will work just fine but I'll keep seeing if I can pin down and fix the cause.

Yes, July of 2021.  Later on I will try a start at the beginning of the season which is Mid july (partizan is my club of choice this version)  I will also try a few other leagues at different times, and will report back.    Thank you for the quick reply.

10 hours ago, Hachihead said:

Thanks. This mod only affects continental competitions right? It won't affect international matches and competitions?

Correct, it only touches club continental competitons (Club World Cup, various Champions Leagues, a few others.) International stuff isn't affected at all.

3 hours ago, Dallan said:

Ok so some further playing around,  as long as you start mid july (started this test save July 12)  No crash occurs,  I will try it with different start dates and see if I can replicate the issue

Ok I played the full season without any issues.   Once early july came around in game again for 2022 season  it dumped me right back to desktop.    Is there a work around for this bug,  as the competition is brilliant, and would love to keep playing, but I feel as though I am stuck here as I can't just skip ahead over this week.

I have been able to pinpoint that it crashes precisely when the calendar turns over to July 1.  

Haven't been able to solve the crash itself,  but found if I started a European league mid season by using a Brazil December 2021 start I do not run into this bug no matter how far into the save I go.   I hope this will help other enjoy this really fantastic mod. 

Edited by magic1085

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/12/2021 at 00:00, magic1085 said:

Ok I played the full season without any issues.   Once early july came around in game again for 2022 season  it dumped me right back to desktop.    Is there a work around for this bug,  as the competition is brilliant, and would love to keep playing, but I feel as though I am stuck here as I can't just skip ahead over this week.

I have been able to pinpoint that it crashes precisely when the calendar turns over to July 1.  

Haven't been able to solve the crash itself,  but found if I started a European league mid season by using a Brazil December 2021 start I do not run into this bug no matter how far into the save I go.   I hope this will help other enjoy this really fantastic mod. 

I'm sorry this is happening! The problematic date, historically, has been the date of the CL Q2 second leg: so currently 1 July 2021, which becomes 30 June 2022 and so on. Any start date before that has been crashing on that date in the first year of the game (and usually only in the first year), I assume because of some weird issue with the creation of World League Q1 that is only a problem in the first year? I've been trying to figure out another way to drop teams to the WL that doesn't trigger this but my ideas haven't worked in previous years.

Anyway, trying to replicate this I just tested on my end like this:

1) use all my usual DBs, including this one, a few other rules patches (the Royal Leagues, my personal patches for the US and Canada, the Simple Japan DB, and a few of pr0's rules DBs), and some database patches that shouldn't have an effect (but one never knows, alas).

2) restart with about ten leagues, including Croatia so I can use their June 28th date. It then crashed on 1 July as expected.

3) restart using Croatia's July 12 start date. As expected, I was then able to simulate through the 2022 date where you're crashing, and all the way through 2030. 

I'm not sure what's different in your setup that's causing your crashes, but if you could tell me what other editor data you're using and what leagues you're running then I can try and figure it out I guess?

Edited by Dallan

On 17/11/2021 at 20:16, Dallan said:

As ever, I'd like to start by thanking Graaa, the mad genius behind this custom USA database from FM15. This edit includes a lot of his work on the Extended Club World Cup that was part of that file alongside the changes I made, and I only posted it because he chose not to continue that mod or update it, but left its details as fair use for others, and I thought the idea was too awesome to let it vanish.

This database edit replaces all club continental competitions and the Club World Cup with three worldwide club tournaments: the FIFA Champions League, World League, and Youth League. All domestic leagues are left untouched and will run alongside the intercontinental tournaments: fancy midweek trips to Argentina to play Boca between your league matches? I BET YOU DO.

The FIFA Champions League and World League are senior-level tournaments that mostly work how you expect: Champions League has better competition and better payouts (though the difference between the two isn't as derisory as in real life), finish high enough in your domestic league or win your major domestic cup and you get a ticket (if your league of choice doesn't use a single table or has some other continental qualification shenanigans, it SHOULD work properly depending on how SI or your database modder of choice coded that specific league, but I can't be certain. 

There are qualifiers (the Champions League winner, World League winner, and champions of 30 specified leagues do not have to go through them, and instead get automatic group stage places), and a group stage, and a knockout stage, and Big Fancy Neutral Site Finals. There is now also goal line technology and VAR (in CL/WL group stage games and onward).

The FIFA Youth League uses a similar format and replaces the Viareggio Tournament or whatever it is called for people that aren't using the Susie Real Name fixes. It pits the U19/U18 teams of CL participants (and, where not enough teams are available strictly from the CL clubs, additional elite youth teams from around the world) against each other. 

There is also a a FIFA Super Cup between the Champions League and World League winners, scheduled after qualifiers finish (since neither of those teams participate in them) but before the September international break and the start of the group stages.

News:

The FM21 version is unlikely to receive any further updates. 

-All competitions now allow 5 subs from 12, with three stoppages. Any fixtures that allow for extra time allow an extra sub in extra time.

-The file now uses the "coefficient" functionality included in the FM22 editor to rank nations in the setup and allocate qualifying slots dynamically based on the past 5 years' results.

Downloads: 

The FM22 version of this mod is available as an attachment to this post or on the Steam Workshop.

Known Issues

FM will crash dump in the first week of July 2021 if you use this file with a start date before then. Start dates after that work fine, as do subsequent years of the competition. I still have no idea why this happens but I assume it has something to do with the first year of a new save and whatever unique things happen there. Nonetheless I'll keep trying to fix it.

Squad registrations may disappear upon loading a save game - this is apparently due to an SI bug, but on a CL/WL matchday you will still be able to select and register ineligible players even though it says you can't, so this is annoying but not fatal?

If you need more details, they're below. Let me know if there are any other bugs or if you have any suggestions, and otherwise have fun!

Qualifiers:

Thanks to a new feature in the FM22 editor, rankings now shift dynamically based on results, but I haven't found where the game actually shows "coefficients" for custom continental competitions, even though I've seen these allocations change in my simulations.

Suffice to say over time some very unexpected countries may end up climbing to earn group stage slots, and I may have to refine this system over time this year.

The number of spots is laid out as follows:

CL and WL holders: automatically qualify to the group stage and instead play a Super Cup.

Leagues ranked 1-9: 7 spots (champion gets an automatic CL group stage spot, cup winner and 2 more spots in Q5, 2 spots in Q4, 1 spot in Q3. )

Leagues ranked 10-30: 6 spots (champion to group stage, cup winner and 1 to Q5, 2 to Q4, 1 Q3. League 30 loses one of the Q4 spots and gains one in Q3)

Leagues ranked 58 and below: 2 spots (champion and cup winner) starting at various rounds from Q4 (for the champions of leagues ranked 58-64) to Q1 (for the champions and cup winners from leagues ranked below 115).

Initially the ranking shakes out as follows:

6+1 (1 automatic CL group stage place, 3 places in Q5, 1 place and the cup winner in Q4, 1 place in Q3):

5+1 (1 automatic CL group stage place, 2 places in Q5, 1 place and the cup winner in Q4, 1 place in Q3):

Ukraine, Mexico, Belgium, Turkey, Czechia,  Switzerland, Netherlands, Greece, USA, Austria, Croatia, Chile, Denmark, Colombia, Paraguay, Poland, Sweden, Israel, South Korea, Japan, China.

3+1 (1 place in Q5, 1 place in Q4, 1 place and the cup winner in Q3):

Uruguay, Scotland, Romania, Ecuador, Cyprus, Norway, Bulgaria, Peru, Serbia, Kazakhstan, Costa Rica, South Africa, Egypt, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Slovenia, Tunisia, Slovakia, Australia, Hungary, Nigeria, DR Congo, Morocco, Qatar, UAE, Belarus, Canada

Wales, Ireland, Northern Ireland, India, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore

Format Details:

The Champions League has five qualifying rounds, with two-legged fixtures starting in June. All CL qualifiers are seeded into these rounds depending on how high they finished and which league they qualified from or won the domestic cup in, as above. The 96 winners in the final qualifying round (August) go to the CL group stage along with the 32 automatic qualifiers, the losers go to the WL group stage along with the 32 teams that survive the WL qualifiers, below.

The World League has four qualifying rounds, beginning in July after the first two CL qualifying rounds are complete.

• The winners in WL Q3 are drawn into 32 groups of 3 playing two games each - the winner of each group qualifies for the WL group stage.

Each group stage features 32 groups of 4 (so six games each). CL plays on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, WL on Thursdays, from September through December.

CL: The top 2 in each group qualify for the knockout rounds. Third place teams fall into the World League knockouts.

WL: The top 2 in each group qualify for the knockout rounds. The 32 second place teams will be drawn against the 32 3rd place teams from the Champions League groups - World League group winners will receive a bye to face the winner of those ties.

Qualifying Phase:

1st round: 75k for CL, 35K for WL

2nd round: 75k for CL and WL

3rd round: 150k for CL, 125k for WL

4th round: 250k for CL, (WL: 75k/win and 35k/draw)

5th round: 400k

CL Knockout Rounds (WL pays about half these amounts, Super Cup final pays approximately half of World League final):

7M for all knockout round participants, + 4M for reaching second knockout round + 6M for reaching QF + 10M for reaching SF  + 20M for winning final or 15M for losing final

Worldwide Champions League.fmf 164.6 kB · 57 downloads

Hey will this work with the American tiers fm 22 project that Zealand has? I enjoy both and would like to combine them into a long term game for myself. Just not sure if I can play it without it causing issue later. 

On 25/12/2021 at 14:56, yoshadii said:

Hey will this work with the American tiers fm 22 project that Zealand has? I enjoy both and would like to combine them into a long term game for myself. Just not sure if I can play it without it causing issue later. 

This should work with most custom domestic leagues -it doesn't touch any domestic rules and qualifiers are chosen essentially by saying "Hey, Country X, I need Y clubs in whatever order you want to qualify for the World CL, plus one domestic cup winner".  If your domestic league uses a straightforward single table, or alternatively if its weird qualification order (say, Belgium, or the stock US) is coded to use the standard continental qualification hooks in the advanced editor (ie: Advanced Rules-Competition-Other Stage Rules-Continental Cup Rules) it should work seamlessly, but I can't guarantee that for every league out there.

Specifically about Zealand's, I'm not aware of any particular conflicts, but this was originally designed to work with similar custom US rules way back when, so I would be surprised if it didn't work.

1 hour ago, Dallan said:

This should work with most custom domestic leagues -it doesn't touch any domestic rules and qualifiers are chosen essentially by saying "Hey, Country X, I need Y clubs in whatever order you want to qualify for the World CL, plus one domestic cup winner".  If your domestic league uses a straightforward single table, or alternatively if its weird qualification order (say, Belgium, or the stock US) is coded to use the standard continental qualification hooks in the advanced editor (ie: Advanced Rules-Competition-Other Stage Rules-Continental Cup Rules) it should work seamlessly, but I can't guarantee that for every league out there.

Specifically about Zealand's, I'm not aware of any particular conflicts, but this was originally designed to work with similar custom US rules way back when, so I would be surprised if it didn't work.

Ok thanks I’m in January so far with no problems if I make it through the season and to mid season next year I will inform you. It’s seamless so far and very enjoyable. Thanks again for your work. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/12/2021 at 11:16, yoshadii said:

Ok thanks I’m in January so far with no problems if I make it through the season and to mid season next year I will inform you. It’s seamless so far and very enjoyable. Thanks again for your work. 

Did you encounter any issues at the end of the season? I am testing a combined career with Zealand's USA tiers and Worldwide Champions League, and it is always crashing on me at the end of June 2022. Tested same setup without Worldwide Champions League and no crashes. Currently testing without Zealand's USA tiers and WITH Worldwide Champions League to confirm there isn't something else at play (only other editor files I have loaded is Sortitoutsi's Licensing/Real Name Fixes and Daveincids Increase Realism Megapack so I don't think there should be).

I have had no issues. I took out the real name fix and I only use Zealand data base. Fme skin. This worldwide league which makes the game 10x better and the injuries and weather pack from Dave. That’s it. I’m in December of 2022 with the lakers (Tinseltown) just made it to the Xbox league loving it. And won the Lamar hunt trophy that way I qualified for the champions league first knockout round. It’s very fun. I wish the registration bug was figured out but other then that I love it so far.  @Zano

Edited by yoshadii
Tagging

On 27/12/2021 at 10:14, Dallan said:

This has been fun. I play tested it with only a few mods. Took your advice and started July 26 on the American database. Now I am in December of 2022 no issues or anything besides the registration bug. For me it doesn’t even show up to register. They announce my games and I’m about to play the first one next day I am off. 

• 2 weeks later...

@Dallanhave you seen anything with a crash around the June 30th - July 2nd timeframe? While trying to make sure the Zealand American Tiers would play well with this I'd been experiencing crashes in either 2022, 2026, or 2027 within that June 30th - July 2nd timeframe. I have never been able to make it past 2027. I've been running test runs overnight with different combinations, and ultimately I've come to the conclusion that even with ONLY the Worldwide Champions League loaded as Editor Data I am unable to make it past July 2nd, 2026. Initially I thought it was some incompatibility between the American database and Worldwide Champions League, but it occurs even with ONLY Worldwide Champions League editor data selected.

In particular, I am crashing on July 2nd, 2026 in the save with ONLY Worldwide Champions League loaded.

I can attach my save file if that would help at all.

在 2021/11/18 在 AM9点16分, Dallan说:

As ever, I'd like to start by thanking Graaa, the mad genius behind this custom USA database from FM15. This edit includes a lot of his work on the Extended Club World Cup that was part of that file alongside the changes I made, and I only posted it because he chose not to continue that mod or update it, but left its details as fair use for others, and I thought the idea was too awesome to let it vanish.

News:

The FM21 version is unlikely to receive any further updates. 

Downloads: 

Known Issues

FM will crash dump in the first week of July 2021 if you use this file with a start date before then. Start dates after that work fine, as do subsequent years of the competition. I still have no idea why this happens but I assume it has something to do with the first year of a new save and whatever unique things happen there. Nonetheless I'll keep trying to fix it.

Squad registrations may disappear upon loading a save game - this is apparently due to an SI bug, but on a CL/WL matchday you will still be able to select and register ineligible players even though it says you can't, so this is annoying but not fatal?

Qualifiers:

Thanks to a new feature in the FM22 editor, rankings now shift dynamically based on results, but I haven't found where the game actually shows "coefficients" for custom continental competitions, even though I've seen these allocations change in my simulations.

Suffice to say over time some very unexpected countries may end up climbing to earn group stage slots, and I may have to refine this system over time this year.

The number of spots is laid out as follows:

CL and WL holders: automatically qualify to the group stage and instead play a Super Cup.

Leagues ranked 1-9: 7 spots (champion gets an automatic CL group stage spot, cup winner and 2 more spots in Q5, 2 spots in Q4, 1 spot in Q3. )

Leagues ranked 10-30: 6 spots (champion to group stage, cup winner and 1 to Q5, 2 to Q4, 1 Q3. League 30 loses one of the Q4 spots and gains one in Q3)

Leagues ranked 58 and below: 2 spots (champion and cup winner) starting at various rounds from Q4 (for the champions of leagues ranked 58-64) to Q1 (for the champions and cup winners from leagues ranked below 115).

Initially the ranking shakes out as follows:

6+1 (1 automatic CL group stage place, 3 places in Q5, 1 place and the cup winner in Q4, 1 place in Q3):

5+1 (1 automatic CL group stage place, 2 places in Q5, 1 place and the cup winner in Q4, 1 place in Q3):

3+1 (1 place in Q5, 1 place in Q4, 1 place and the cup winner in Q3):

Wales, Ireland, Northern Ireland, India, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore

Format Details:

• The winners in WL Q3 are drawn into 32 groups of 3 playing two games each - the winner of each group qualifies for the WL group stage.

Qualifying Phase:

1st round: 75k for CL, 35K for WL

2nd round: 75k for CL and WL

3rd round: 150k for CL, 125k for WL

4th round: 250k for CL, (WL: 75k/win and 35k/draw)

5th round: 400k

Worldwide Champions League.fmf 164.6 kb · 76 downloads

@Dallan Which six Japan League teams qualify?

5+1 (1 automatic CL group stage place, 2 places in Q5, 1 place and the cup winner in Q4, 1 place in Q3)

9 hours ago, yoshadii said:

That’s interesting. I have no issues yet. But you are farther then me. I just entered 2023. The World Cup just finished. It’s Jan. No issues yet. What start date did you pick to begin your save? 

I've tried both the earliest dates (early July 2021) and latest dates (end of July 2021). No matter what, always after the first week of July 2021 which is where the old crash issue occurred.

16 hours ago, Zano said:

I've tried both the earliest dates (early July 2021) and latest dates (end of July 2021). No matter what, always after the first week of July 2021 which is where the old crash issue occurred.

Damn. I don’t know what I’m doing. I’m on Feb 2023 now. But if I crash I will let you know. 

On 14/01/2022 at 13:20, Zano said:

@Dallanhave you seen anything with a crash around the June 30th - July 2nd timeframe? While trying to make sure the Zealand American Tiers would play well with this I'd been experiencing crashes in either 2022, 2026, or 2027 within that June 30th - July 2nd timeframe. I have never been able to make it past 2027. I've been running test runs overnight with different combinations, and ultimately I've come to the conclusion that even with ONLY the Worldwide Champions League loaded as Editor Data I am unable to make it past July 2nd, 2026. Initially I thought it was some incompatibility between the American database and Worldwide Champions League, but it occurs even with ONLY Worldwide Champions League editor data selected.

In particular, I am crashing on July 2nd, 2026 in the save with ONLY Worldwide Champions League loaded.

I can attach my save file if that would help at all.

There is a crash known to occur at that time frame in various circumstances - always in the first year of the game if the start is before July 12th or so, and otherwise at inconsistent years later in the game, but the one you describe here is a new circumstance for it I haven't seen and I suspect it may have the same or a related cause (ie, the transition between the CL Q2 round and the WL Q1 round). If you still have a save small enough to attach or link here I'd be happy to see it.

EDIT: that said, I appear to have fixed the version of this crash that occurs in the first season (my most recent test in Croatia with the version of the file attached below no longer crashes on 1 July 2021 - which was previously guaranteed). Anyone who has been experiencing crashes around that time in future years, please try the attached version (or the Steam version, which has been updated accordingly) and let me know if those persist.

On 15/01/2022 at 03:44, kayyuenchinup said:

@Dallan Which six Japan League teams qualify?

5+1 (1 automatic CL group stage place, 2 places in Q5, 1 place and the cup winner in Q4, 1 place in Q3)

Since Japan isn't a playable league by default, I suspect that teams will be chosen essentially at random. Otherwise, it will depend on how the file you're using to make Japan playable works (probably the top 5 in the league plus the Emperor's Cup winner).

Edited by Dallan
Removed obsolete testing version

23 hours ago, Dallan said:

There is a crash known to occur at that time frame in various circumstances - always in the first year of the game if the start is before July 12th or so, and otherwise at inconsistent years later in the game, but the one you describe here is a new circumstance for it I haven't seen and I suspect it may have the same or a related cause (ie, the transition between the CL Q2 round and the WL Q1 round). If you still have a save small enough to attach or link here I'd be happy to see it.

EDIT: that said, I appear to have fixed the version of this crash that occurs in the first season (my most recent test in Croatia with the version of the file attached below no longer crashes on 1 July 2021 - which was previously guaranteed). Anyone who has been experiencing crashes around that time in future years, please try the attached version (or the Steam version, which has been updated accordingly) and let me know if those persist.

Since Japan isn't a playable league by default, I suspect that teams will be chosen essentially at random. Otherwise, it will depend on how the file you're using to make Japan playable works (probably the top 5 in the league plus the Emperor's Cup winner).

Worldwide Champions League.fmf 164.71 kB · 1 download

That is definitely the phase / timeframe it is failing (moving from the CL Q2 round and WL Q1 round). I'll test it out with the new file and let you know if I encounter any issues.

@Dallan I haven't had any crashes yet but I have noticed that the WL doesn't appear to be starting consistently, and there may be some issues with CL qualification.

Edited by Zano

9 hours ago, Dallan said:

Sigh. Back to the drawing board I guess. What kind of issues are you seeing with CL qualifiers?

I think CL is fine actually. It's really just the WL that is having issues. This is testing against a database with only the Worldwide Champions league editor data loaded.

@ZanoBetween your reports and my tests I've been able to narrow down the crashes specifically to "setting up the World League" ("Completing CL Q2", "transferring teams to WL Q1" and "setting up WL Q1" all happen at the same time, which is efficient but makes figuring out which one of them is broken kinda tricky) and clean up/change some settings in the WL rules that were either redundant, obsolete, or (seemingly - it's hard to tell because of the usual documentation issues with the pregame editor) missing and might have been casuing the issues with starting the WL (ie, the occasional crashes or other weird setup failures).

I'm still vacation testing this version myself so I'll have to run it for a few years and see if it fixes all the issues, but at the very least it doesn't crash at the early start date, which is a start. Feel free to try it yourself and see if the issues persist, and either way thanks a lot for your assistance in this, I've been grappling with this bug for literally years.

Edited by Dallan
Removed obsolete testing version

3 hours ago, Dallan said:

@ZanoBetween your reports and my tests I've been able to narrow down the crashes specifically to "setting up the World League" ("Completing CL Q2", "transferring teams to WL Q1" and "setting up WL Q1" all happen at the same time, which is efficient but makes figuring out which one of them is broken kinda tricky) and clean up/change some settings in the WL rules that were either redundant, obsolete, or (seemingly - it's hard to tell because of the usual documentation issues with the pregame editor) missing and might have been casuing the issues with starting the WL (ie, the occasional crashes or other weird setup failures).

I'm still vacation testing this version myself so I'll have to run it for a few years and see if it fixes all the issues, but at the very least it doesn't crash at the early start date, which is a start. Feel free to try it yourself and see if the issues persist, and either way thanks a lot for your assistance in this, I've been grappling with this bug for literally years.

Worldwide Champions League.fmf 164.7 kB · 0 downloads

@DallanAbsolutely! Appreciate all the hard work trying to get it fixed.

I'll run a vacation test tonight as well, and let you know if I see any issues.

Yes, my test made it to 2033 with no crashes or apparent issues so I think we may have solved it, wonder of wonders. At the very least I'm comfortable updating the OP with this version (and with another unrelated change I got an idea for while I was fiddling).

• Dallan changed the title to [FM22] Worldwide Champions League (UPDATE 24 January)
5 hours ago, Dallan said:

Yes, my test made it to 2033 with no crashes or apparent issues so I think we may have solved it, wonder of wonders. At the very least I'm comfortable updating the OP with this version (and with another unrelated change I got an idea for while I was fiddling).

Yup - I made it to 2043 with only Worldwide Champs League editor data, and have now made it past my crash of 2027 with a database with Zealand's USA expansion loaded along with a compliment of other editor data.

Appreciate the hard work to get that resolved! Fingers crossed it seems to be good.

@Dallanone thing I did notice in my sim test. I suspect this may be one that there is no good way to address but figured I'd throw it out there.

If a team is in a qualification spot for a nation where that club is not based (e.g. a Canadian club in the MLS which is where I noticed this, and I suspect this would also be applicable to say one of the Welsh teams in the EPL but I can't confirm that since there aren't any finishing in qualification spots), that team is ignored for qualification from that competition. It will just take the next team after them that is based in the nation.

I doubt it would be a frequently encountered issue.

I'm very familiar with this situation since most of my games involve a Canadian MLS team. tl;dr: this is by design, but not my design.

Teams that play in a different league than their "continental cup nation" qualify through the latter's spots based on the latter's rules, not the former's, and so they can't qualify through the league they actually play in and the game skips them when deciding who qualifies from that league. In the MLS case, the three Canadian teams have their CCN set to Canada, whereas (I believe) the Welsh EFL/EPL teams have their CCN set to England so if you get Swansea into the PL's qualifying spots they'd use an English spot and work more or less normally. In reality, Canadian MLS teams cannot qualify for the CCL through the league for, more or less, this reason - they have to win their domestic cup (at least for now, this is scheduled to change in a couple of years?). See also FC Vaduz in the Swiss league.

What should ideally happen here (and what I have found ways to do in previous years) is that if a Canadian MLS team wins the Canadian championship, they qualify in Canada's top spot but the other spots end up going to CPL teams. But for various reasons (including all the weird design and hardcoding around the Canadian Championship and the North American CL in the base game), this doesn't happen anymore, and there's no way around it without editing the Canadian domestic league, which is outside scope here (but which I do on my personal copy).

I don't know if Zealand's US file does anything to the Canadian leagues (I assume it DOES in order to remove the Canadian teams from MLS, if it does that, but not necessarily the thing it would need to do to correct this).

Edited by Dallan

23 hours ago, Dallan said:

What should ideally happen here is that if a Canadian MLS team wins the Canadian championship, they qualify in Canada's top spot but the other spots end up going to CPL teams. But there's so much weird design and hardcoding around the Canadian Championship and the North American CL in the base game that I don't think this is what actually happens anymore, and there's no way around it without editing the Canadian domestic league, which is outside scope here (but which I do on my personal copy). I don't know if Zealand's US file does anything to the Canadian leagues (I assume it DOES in order to remove the Canadian teams from MLS, if it does that, but not necessarily the thing it would need to do to correct this).

Just to expand on this in a technical sense: The thing is that the base game codes Canada's domestic cup as a continental competition instead of a domestic cup (perhaps because it has teams from two different league systems?) so the "Get Nation FA Cup Winner" option in the continent rules for allocating spots does not work for it. Normally when this happens the game falls back to just picking another team from the domestic league - but of course in Canada, since the MLS teams are not in the domestic league they can't be picked this way.

In previous years when I would statically allocate spots, Canada had a specific workaround where I would use "get winner of other competition" to pick the winner of the Canadian Championship in Canada's top spot - but I can't do that here in the coefficient system because there's no way to assign the winner of a specific competition to a dynamic spot in the continent rules.

The simplest way to do this now would be to address this from the other end: edit the CPL's continental cup rules to place the winner of the Canadian Championship at the top of that order so that when the game goes to pick X teams to fill its spots, Canada tells it "sure, here's the cup winner, then whatever teams we want from the CPL" - it could cause compatibility issues with other files modifying Canada, which I try and avoid doing, but I'll think about how to manage that.

Edited by Dallan

22 hours ago, Dallan said:

Just to expand on this in a technical sense: The thing is that the base game codes Canada's domestic cup as a continental competition instead of a domestic cup (perhaps because it has teams from two different league systems?) so the "Get Nation FA Cup Winner" option in the continent rules for allocating spots does not work for it. Normally when this happens the game falls back to just picking another team from the domestic league - but of course in Canada, since the MLS teams are not in the domestic league they can't be picked this way.

In previous years when I would statically allocate spots, Canada had a specific workaround where I would use "get winner of other competition" to pick the winner of the Canadian Championship in Canada's top spot - but I can't do that here in the coefficient system because there's no way to assign the winner of a specific competition to a dynamic spot in the continent rules.

The simplest way to do this now would be to address this from the other end: edit the CPL's continental cup rules to place the winner of the Canadian Championship at the top of that order so that when the game goes to pick X teams to fill its spots, Canada tells it "sure, here's the cup winner, then whatever teams we want from the CPL" - it could cause compatibility issues with other files modifying Canada, which I try and avoid doing, but I'll think about how to manage that.

In the tests I conducted on my files (a fantasy North American pro/rel leagues and my basic club world cup file), a workaround (there is downside to this) I found was to duplicate the Canadian city and make it an USA city, it was the only idea i had that worked. Even changing the Base Nation, didn't work, like Swansea is setup in game. I believe there is hardcoding involve in this and probably other nations.

@Zano you can test this, by duplicating Zealand file, duplicate the Canadian city and set this as an American city and see if it qualifies. The downside to this, is that instead of having Canadian newgens, they will be American. Due to this reason, I had to abandoned my North American file and focus on the USA only file. Either that or continue as is with MLS teams qualifying via the Canadian Championship.

I requested to SI for this to be changed on FM21, but never heard from them.

Note: In my North American fantasy file I created a new MLS from duplication of English Premier League. So hardcode that doesn't allow MLS Canadian teams qualify is nation related. Or this is hardcoded to all nation and the exception to this coding is Swansea, Cardiff, Newport, Wrexham, Methyr and others in same position. haven't decided yet. I have yet to test in creating a new nation if it works.

Edited by grade

2 hours ago, grade said:

In the tests I conducted on my files (a fantasy North American pro/rel leagues and my basic club world cup file), a workaround (there is downside to this) I found was to duplicate the Canadian city and make it an USA city, it was the only idea i had that worked. Even changing the Base Nation, didn't work, like Swansea is setup in game. I believe there is hardcoding involve in this and probably other nations.

@Zano you can test this, by duplicating Zealand file, duplicate the Canadian city and set this as an American city and see if it qualifies. The downside to this, is that instead of having Canadian newgens, they will be American. Due to this reason, I had to abandoned my North American file and focus on the USA only file. Either that or continue as is with MLS teams qualifying via the Canadian Championship.

I requested to SI for this to be changed on FM21, but never heard from them.

Note: In my North American fantasy file I created a new MLS from duplication of English Premier League. So hardcode that doesn't allow MLS Canadian teams qualify is nation related. Or this is hardcoded to all nation and the exception to this coding is Swansea, Cardiff, Newport, Wrexham, Methyr and others in same position. haven't decided yet. I have yet to test in creating a new nation if it works.

The most obvious difference between Swansea/Cardiff/etc and Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver is that those Welsh teams have their Continental Cup Nation set to England, whereas the Canadian teams have their Continental Cup Nation set to Canada. This is exactly what that DB setting is meant to do, so I think that's why continental qualifying in the PL can pick Welsh teams while continental qualifying in MLS ignores Canadian teams.

But there are two different problems here and only one needs to be solved.

If you want Canadian MLS teams to be able to qualify via MLS - well, I've never tried to solve that one so there may be some hardcoding getting in the way, but I'm pretty sure that switching the Continental Cup Nation will be the first thing you need to do. They may no longer be able to qualify via the Canadian Championship, but I honestly can't be sure given the unusual way SI have coded it. 

If you want Canadian MLS teams to be able to qualify via Canada - well, they already can in the base game, the only reason it doesn't work here is because SI coded the Canadian Championship in a way that doesn't feed into the continental qualifying system they let us use in the editor (because it isn't coded as a domestic cup) and also didn't use the simple workaround they provided in the editor (the Other Stage Rules->Continental Cup Rules page in the domestic top division, which gives you a lot of flexibility in deciding who qualifies from a given country - it even lets you use the results of any other competition, from what I can tell, and just skips rules that would pick an ineligible team).

For this file, I'm testing that workaround, but it would mean including altered rules for the Canadian Premier League in this file, which might cause compatibility issues with other files modifying Canada (though I am hoping to find ways to minimise that).

That is the issue, unless something change between FM21 and 22. SI not giving us tabs if there were changes or not, makes difficult to find if things are fixed or not.

Anyway, in FM21, that change of Continental Cup Nation or the Base Nation or both for me didn't fix it. It only worked when I duplicated the Canadian city and made it American.

Maybe you get better luck with Advance editor.

Oh, yeah, I'm always talking about the Advanced Editor here, nothing I do here is possible with the basic editor.

Anyway, I have a fix for the issue with Canadian MLS teams. For now it's a testing version so I'm leaving it as a separate file. The only change is the inclusion of altered rules for the Canadian Premier League (and only the CPL, not Canada nation rules) that include the Canadian Championship winner and runner up in "league" qualifying spots so that Canadian MLS teams have a path to this competition. The only change from the base game rules is in Advanced Rules->Canadian Premier League->Other Stage Rules->Continental Cup Rules.

Use this OR the main FMF version, not both (there probably won't be problems if you use both but it'd be redundant).

If you're using another file that alters Canada, like yellowsweatygorilla's Canadian Megapatch, it may interfere with this (or this may interfere with it). I don't want to distribute an altered version of anyone else's file without their permission, so I would suggest using the main version of my file and then applying the same edits to your copy of their file in the pre-game editor, like this:

1624110_20220129173455_1.thumb.png.97348c63f79c59fc77b7a46b458e8759.png

WCL Updates (Qual Push Can Patch).xml